Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

in the context of that specific provocation it's on par with the discourse preceding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
maybe. i didn't read it so dunno, i'm just saying in general

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I think that’s the core of the issue for most people, more so than any action or inaction on his part. So it goes

I don't like him because of his actions.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The conception thereof, surely

Healthy self-crit would render distinctions we’d hope to set between ourselves and krell simple self serving delusion

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think snide ad hominem attacks on a person's mental health are icky and belong exactly nowhere near the game of mafia

and that "this is actually fine because it's in a context of other people doing it" is not a defense

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t know how to interpret “icky” in this context

Is it a halfhearted way of saying “bad” or just something you aren’t particularly comfortable with

In any case I think Ecco would be the first to say krell was right, in that mafia brought out the worst in her personality and that’s why she left

Sometimes speaking truth to power ends up benefiting both parties

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
As a rule people are generally responsible for their own actions and Ecco being bad or good doesn't mean Krell is not bad. lol. Not that I know Krell but that seems like a bad post.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

As a rule people are generally responsible for their own actions and Ecco being bad or good doesn't mean Krell is not bad. lol. Not that I know Krell but that seems like a bad post.

Well, it's in the character of my point. People single out the marginalized and make their behaviors a rule while excusing members of the in-group, one of whom triggered this scenario in the first place.

"krell" as understood here is a boogeyman constructed of every personally distasteful thing he's ever said, and projections from players who never encountered him with things he hasn't done, rather than a full and fair picture of the individual. Otoh, a similar record from one of the good ones is minimized and viewed as out of character

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I get the point you're making taste and I think that's valid. Ultimately I think it's just best to refrain from any kind of personally derogatory statement about other players, because they matter very little in this context, that's why I cut several paragraphs from this post.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sometimes I want to tell people to go gently caress themselves but instead I just post "OK" and move on.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Sometimes I want to tell people to go gently caress themselves but instead I just post "OK" and move on.

Yeah but since we all know what it means does that really make it any better?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah but since we all know what it means does that really make it any better?

Hmm, that is actually a good point.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I get the point you're making taste and I think that's valid. Ultimately I think it's just best to refrain from any kind of personally derogatory statement about other players, because they matter very little in this context, that's why I cut several paragraphs from this post.

Agreed. It’s why I made an effort to approach this conversation by positioning a player viewed negatively and asserting the positive than anyone in the opposite situation

Self crit as a community isn’t about poo poo talking anyone, it’s about recognizing general trends in the negative and without assigning blame looking to what we can do better

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Somberbrero posted:

I hope busb never gets to see the original, drat dude

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If Krell isn't calling you stupid or insane, he's probably your scumbuddy.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Let's just all agree that I'm the best and should be ruler of you little fleshlings.

I'll wait.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Let's just all agree that I'm the best and should be ruler of you little fleshlings.

I'll wait.

Sure.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

*Is glorious*

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'll wait.

OK

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

GASP!

EMPTYGASP!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Bernstrike posted:

I hope busb never gets to see the original, drat dude

I won't stand for this personal attack on my character!!!! Ban birbstriek pls

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’d like to add an addendum clarifying I wasn’t speaking about auspol players, who shouldn’t be held to human standards

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don’t know how to interpret “icky” in this context

Is it a halfhearted way of saying “bad” or just something you aren’t particularly comfortable with

In any case I think Ecco would be the first to say krell was right, in that mafia brought out the worst in her personality and that’s why she left

Sometimes speaking truth to power ends up benefiting both parties

It’s me saying it’s disgusting and stigmatizing, but without using those words so as to lower the connoted strength of the offense to the appropriate level. I’d be shocked if you didn’t know that full well, of course, but I’ll allow that you could hypothetically be asking for clarification in earnest.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I used to get pretty hot when people attacked me personally in mafia.

Now, I try look beyond the attack at what is behind it and brush it off. I think there’s good scum tells when people get ugly. The rawness is easier to identify as genuine or not.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I’d like to add an addendum clarifying I wasn’t speaking about auspol players, who shouldn’t be held to human standards

Thank you Jonathan Fisk. I didn't know I didn't count as a human being for living in another country. It's good to know these things tho

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

GASP!

EMPTYGASP!

Sorry perhaps you misunderstood my intent. I have the same feelings for your rise to power as I do about former President Martin Van Buren, who was also known as Old Kinderhook so you may not have realized it was a term of endearment

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

We aren't all monsters like Max you know

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

Thank you Jonathan Fisk. I didn't know I didn't count as a human being for living in another country. It's good to know these things tho

we’ve ascended from the weakness of old world flesh into a new, higher-energy form of consciousness

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sorry perhaps you misunderstood my intent. I have the same feelings for your rise to power as I do about former President Martin Van Buren, who was also known as Old Kinderhook so you may not have realized it was a term of endearment

I was emptyquoting this because I heard about Martin Van Buren and his nicknames on a podcast this week. One of his other nicknames was “Little Magician.”

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

We aren't all monsters like Max you know

I imagine it would be insufferable if that was the case.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PMush Perfect posted:

If Krell isn't calling you stupid or insane, he's probably your scumbuddy.

nah if Krell is your scum buddy he will never post in scumdoc, except to threaten the team with mass scumclaim if they dare submit actions for him when he's totally absent again

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

quote:

vig

vigg or vidge?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Vic

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
obviously not /dʒ/

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I like how that quote was cherry picked to make Krell seem bad when it was a response to Ecco calling him a worthless piece of poo poo. I'd respond to a personal attack with a personal attack too.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GeneX posted:

It’s me saying it’s disgusting and stigmatizing, but without using those words so as to lower the connoted strength of the offense to the appropriate level. I’d be shocked if you didn’t know that full well, of course, but I’ll allow that you could hypothetically be asking for clarification in earnest.

I try to speak precisely on things that matter to me. I haven’t used that specific word in any serious context ever so I don’t know what it would mean to you. I do appreciate the clarification.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

Aboriginals are fine, it’s the rest you have to watch

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CapitalistPig posted:

I like how that quote was cherry picked to make Krell seem bad when it was a response to Ecco calling him a worthless piece of poo poo. I'd respond to a personal attack with a personal attack too.

As a response to another person calling him a piece of poo poo, I don't like it, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I used to get really angry and call other players retarded.

Not proud of that poo poo.

Lot more fun to be chill!