Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

that isnt vr footage at all its just a trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They don't even show the player looking left or right? Can you even turn your head.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

This better not be why they're calling the new update "The biggest one yet". I'm going to be legitimately bothered if it's just this VR thing and some passive multiplayer features.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not me, this is a great announcement! I've been wanting to play this in my Oculus since forever and think it's the perfect choice game for VR.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I'll def try this out on PSVR but I just want to know if there's been any actual improvement in the procgen for animals? I played for a few weeks when NEXT came out and it still was fairly "harmonica video."

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Zesty posted:

Babby’s first procedural content game? We’ve done this exact thing with Spore. There’s been umteen other games between then and now that are vast oceans that are only an inch deep. Elite Dangerous included.

If Star Citizen ever gets released, you’ll see the exact same thing but a much grander scale of outrage.

These kinds of games make promises that can’t possibly deliver on what people extrapolate. NMS was particularly bad because it showed us a lot of fake gameplay trailers that they couldn’t make happen.
The thing is that the shallowness of the gameplay isn't due to technical reasons, it's 99% down to terrible gameplay decisions that they don't seem to want to address. I can think of a bunch of ways to massively improve the gameplay that wouldn't need any serious technical investment at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Campbell posted:

I'll def try this out on PSVR but I just want to know if there's been any actual improvement in the procgen for animals? I played for a few weeks when NEXT came out and it still was fairly "harmonica video."

Not since Next launched.

toiletbrush posted:

The thing is that the shallowness of the gameplay isn't due to technical reasons, it's 99% down to terrible gameplay decisions that they don't seem to want to address. I can think of a bunch of ways to massively improve the gameplay that wouldn't need any serious technical investment at all.

Yeah the biggest problems with the gameplay is just that every thing is just too bare bones. The combat AI is super basic, the upgrade system for equipment and vehicles is super simple and linear. And all of the best S tier mods in the game are purchaseable with nanites which are very easy to earn. "Time spent" is pretty much the only measurement by which anything can be judged in the game since there is neither skill nor luck involved in accomplishing anything in the game since every goal is ultimately gated by grinding either units or nanites. Which is a shame because the game is clearly capable of being way more than it is.

On the bug side of things, I see that they still haven't fixed the bug where you can't land on your frigates sometimes without restarting the game or just warping so many times that eventually it just fixes itself. This was a problem back when Next launched...

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

there is neither skill nor luck involved in accomplishing anything in the game since every goal is ultimately gated by grinding either units or nanites. Which is a shame because the game is clearly capable of being way more than it is.
HG were just lazy. Literally every single 'exploration' mechanic in the game is nothing more than 'press scan, then point yourself at the icon in your hud and it will take you right there'. There's tons of way more interesting ways that they could have done this - instead of having a perfectly accurate pin-point icon, having something less precise like a compass sort of thing or proximity based beeper, or launching drones that would give you fuzzy heat-maps, or having terrain features that suggest certain resources.

The races is another good example, you just grind out missions but nothing matters. They could have made it that the races had a certain amount of conflict so you could be friends with one or two but at the expense of the others, and you'd have to choose who you allied with based on what they gave you in return, and even add pirates as a fourth race that gave you incredible loot but made everyone else hate you. Behind the scenes it's just juggling a few numbers like it does now, but suddenly you've got a universe that reacts to you and where your actions have interesting and long-term consequences.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

that isnt vr footage at all its just a trailer

The beginning and end is prerendered but everything else appears to be in-game. Whenever ther players hands are in view the animations look convincingly controlled using vr inputs, particularly when they grab the flight stick and the hand snaps in place. The head movements also look fairly authentic. It does look a bit too good though, its probably the PC version.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Put a couple of hours in to the big adventure mod and it didn't really seem to be all that great. I'd say the best thing about it was more variety in the ships. For the planets, I went through over a dozen systems before I found a Toxic planet and a desert planet. Every single system was radioactive/temperate/frost/scorching/weird.

Put a few more hours into my main vanilla save as well and after getting a couple of more ships and unlocking the sub and poo poo, and now I feel completely empty again. Pretty much the only thing I could probably do with is a maxed out Hauler. The lack of storage and the ability to own more ships and multitools really makes it hard to keep busy. I don't really need money for anything now. I'm almost maxed out on species rep. Outside of doing the Artemis quests, and maybe getting to the center, there is almost nothing for me to do. Part of me wants to see if there is a storage mod that works well and just back up my save and see if that at least makes crafting a little more interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some sort of embargo just lifted and the VR mode is looking real good yall

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah people are going bananas on this and it’s awesome. I can’t loving wait for this to hit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Between this and glowing reviews of the Iron Man VR demo, maybe I finally need to buy some Move wands for my PS4?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess technically a buggy, some what unfinished normal game would kind of automatically become one of the best VR games by default, due to the lack of real VR games. I am still praying that the third arm of the Beyond update is fixing poo poo. Or that fixes are just a baked in part of the update not worth mentioning in a bullet point.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Between this and glowing reviews of the Iron Man VR demo, maybe I finally need to buy some Move wands for my PS4?

If you own a PSVR, you need Moves, dude. Otherwise you’re missing out. And you definitely will be missing out on No Man’s Sky VR if you don’t have Moves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isn't PSVR2 just around the corner?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

If you own a PSVR, you need Moves, dude. Otherwise you’re missing out. And you definitely will be missing out on No Man’s Sky VR if you don’t have Moves.

I got a PSVR a while back and just never used it much. Not having move controllers was probably part of that :v:

I also still have a launch PS4 so I'm not sure how good the whole rig would work in VR with anything that's actually taxing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I got a PSVR a while back and just never used it much. Not having move controllers was probably part of that :v:

I also still have a launch PS4 so I'm not sure how good the whole rig would work in VR with anything that's actually taxing.

I own a PS4 Slim, not a Pro, so I’m on the same boat, but you won’t get everything out of your PSVR without Moves. They’re worth the price, trust me. There are a ton of great PSVR games that use the Moves and they work just fine on the OG PS4. If you dig No Man’s Sky and want to experience it in VR, get a pair of Moves.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Moves are cool but they have the worst loving button layout of anything I’ve ever used in my life. Don’t know why they haven’t released new versions with sticks on them. Teleportation as a workaround to me is a major no go, since as a mechanic it’s like, one of the biggest things that induces motion sickness for most people (sudden perspective changes that don’t match the eye/brain’s sense of place).

I love VR and the PSVR is great but man the Moves piss me off for what missed potential they are

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sony did recently patent a new version of the Moves so that’s not going to be an issue down the line but for now the Moves can do a whole lot. With No Man’s Sky in mind I recommend checking out Ultrawings if you want to prepare yourself for what NMS VR will offer in terms of flying.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mandrel posted:

Teleportation as a workaround to me is a major no go, since as a mechanic it’s like, one of the biggest things that induces motion sickness for most people (sudden perspective changes that don’t match the eye/brain’s sense of place).

This is the opposite of reality

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s true that the current moves could be much better, but it’s not at all true that VR teleportation is nausea-inducing. It’s an instantaneous shift of viewpoint with no impression of motion at all beyond maybe a flash of black screen. What really leads to nausea is a visual impression of rotation or acceleration without a matching sensation from the accelerometers in the inner ear, which is why smooth movement and especially smooth turning set people off a lot more.

But that’s all academic as there apparently will be smooth movement options, they just weren’t available for press demos. And there will be no non-smooth option for piloting ships or vehicles so hopefully there will be other comfort options as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I haven't used VR, but how is it that people will have no issues with starships and the various vehicles, but somehow walking around will make them sick so they need teleportation? The only difference between being on foot and in a vehicle is the physics/handling applied to the player so what is the deal there?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I seem to be blessed with pretty much zero VR nausea so I can handle whatever first person VR games throw at me but there have been a couple of third person VR games, most notably Bound, that have made me want to yartz my loving guts out. I don’t expect NMS Beyond to give me that issue at all and I’m glad it has comfort options that allow you to play it with all of them turned off.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I haven't used VR, but how is it that people will have no issues with starships and the various vehicles, but somehow walking around will make them sick so they need teleportation? The only difference between being on foot and in a vehicle is the physics/handling applied to the player so what is the deal there?

Vehicle motion can definitely cause motion sickness but I think the naturally restricted field of view due to being in a cockpit, plus the fact that most acceleration is going to be straight forward, makes it much less of an issue

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
With all these positive opinions does that mean the UI is actually better in the VR version?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the ui will remain garbage until they remove the text pop-in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xik posted:

With all these positive opinions does that mean the UI is actually better in the VR version?

A bunch of them say it’s better. It’s a holographic doodad on your wrist that you bring up by looking at your “watch” and touch to interact with.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mandrel posted:

Moves are cool but they have the worst loving button layout of anything I’ve ever used in my life. Don’t know why they haven’t released new versions with sticks on them. Teleportation as a workaround to me is a major no go, since as a mechanic it’s like, one of the biggest things that induces motion sickness for most people (sudden perspective changes that don’t match the eye/brain’s sense of place).

I love VR and the PSVR is great but man the Moves piss me off for what missed potential they are

Teleportation reduces motion sickness. That's literally the entire point of it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Artificial acceleration is what causes simulation sickness in VR as your body (inner ear, but also other senses) is accustomed to feeling the effects of momentum when processing your viewpoint moving. The mismatch is detected as a form of sickness triggering nausea, which is your body trying to get rid of whatever poisoned you.

Cockpits help a bit, not necessarily due to restricting your field of view but by providing a fixed frame of reference, a part of your environment that doesn't accelerate. Movement code can also be modified to minimize acceleration to maximize comfort, it's why a lot of VR games with stick movement have little to no view bob or fancy camera animations.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 3, 2019

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I still dont understand wth people are talking about with vr nausea. If its that bad just tough it out. Eventually your broke brain will learn to stop being dumb and we won't have to deal with these dumb teleportation move systems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:gitgud: at disabling your lizard brain

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dont Touch ME posted:

I still dont understand wth people are talking about with vr nausea. If its that bad just tough it out. Eventually your broke brain will learn to stop being dumb and we won't have to deal with these dumb teleportation move systems.

Yes, let me muscle through this terrible form of locomotion that can actually cause you to vomit and feel physically ill, great advice!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Dont Touch ME posted:

As someone who gets car sick and spent all the way until college trying to do this I can assure you it does not work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Haven't seen a take quite that scalding in a while, drat

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:gitgud: at disabling your lizard brain

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm going to assume with having to build a new UI for VR, they're going to have QOL updates and a better UI as the third part of the update. Hoping for procgen but prepared for disappointment.

Base building, driving, space flight, exploration and simple multiplayer interactions are all pretty fun in VR so it's no surprise a version of NMS with all the tedious UI stuff fixed would be a VR hit.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've got good news and I've got bad news. NMS VR will only allow beta-testers to punch Sean Murray in the face, you wont get that opportunity, but when it releases, it will release with full dick-making abilities intact

https://kotaku.com/i-played-no-mans-sky-vr-and-almost-punched-sean-murray-1833753449

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw people on Reddit talking about NPCs walking around now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

So you can spend hours in VR sculpting a massive dick sculpture with a raceway around it, and use the new "MMO" features to attract more VR racers.

I mean, if VR Chat can be so successful...