Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely true that the larger mysteries of the Black/White Lodge were more of a backdrop in the original series, and in Season 3 all that became pretty central to almost every storyline. I can understand someone preferring the original formula to the pure uncut Lynch that we got in Season 3.

Black/White Lodge stuff was pretty important in S2 too. At least on the second half of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Black/White Lodge stuff was pretty important in S2 too. At least on the second half of it

Even then, the primary focus was on the Coop/Earle conflict, and the "why" of it all felt more like interesting context than the entire story.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be fair I definitely would have trouble respecting the taste of someone who didn’t like 308.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode 8 is the greatest episode of television ever and the fact that it's so divisive only reinforces that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I loved the floor sweeping scene then and I love it now.

There was a scene in Missing Pieces where Sarah is looking for a sweater and freaking out and Laura tells her she’s wearing it. Sarah panics and says something like “oh no, it’s happening again isn’t it”

It completely recontextualizes a lot for me because it makes it seem like Sarah knows about the abuse/being drugged. I guess it makes sense that they cut it out because if it was in, Sarah should have acted a lot differently in S1, but it was a super powerful scene.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Episode 8 is the greatest episode of television ever and the fact that it's so divisive only reinforces that.

Every time I think this I also remember that International Assassin from The Leftovers exists and v:shobon:v

I'll never make up my mind on this one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:yeah:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

fullroundaction posted:

Every time I think this I also remember that International Assassin from The Leftovers exists and v:shobon:v

I'll never make up my mind on this one.

The truest post good brother

I'm of the camp that FWWM and The Return elevate TP to GOAT status, on the original run alone i don't think it makes top ten.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

This is exactly what I was getting at. The episode was so compelling.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pine Warrens tho

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pine Warrens is hilarious and brilliant but it's its own thing, can't be really compared to the rest of the show IMO. It's like a Darrin Morgan X-Files episode.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
as a native of new jersey i am incredibly offended that two posters have now called the pine barrens "pine warrens"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the first was some auto-correct error but TWICE? smh

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Twin Beaks

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Twin Beaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vftf8TTve4s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they played this and a ton of other parodies before FWWM at the Alamo Drafthouse, it was cool as hell

The SNL skit was basically five minutes of Leo saying "IT WAS ME, I DID IT"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1113088545600794624

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The hours of behind-the-scenes Lynch stuff alone makes the blu-ray worth the cost.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

CAR SICK!

RIP Miguel Ferrer :smith:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

wa27 posted:

The hours of behind-the-scenes Lynch stuff alone makes the blu-ray worth the cost.

This also explains why a lot of dialogue scenes are kind of bland in execution. Lynch needs his play time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUTY0QrKJSQ

Currently, I'm rewatching Twin Peaks with my cousin and this exchange between Cooper and Audrey happens:

quote:

Cooper: Audrey, you 're a high school girl. I'm an agent of the FBI.
Audrey: So do you want me to leave or what?
Cooper: What I want and what I need are two different things, Audrey. When a man joins the Bureau he takes an oath to uphold certain values.
Values that he's sworn to live by.
And then the doppelganger says: "If there's one thing you should know about me Ray, it's that I don't need anything. I want." It really makes a lot of sense that an evil Cooper would be a serial rapist. Without his values, Cooper is nothing.

On a different note, it's also amusing to me how functional the naming scheme for some characters is. The last names of all major characters in Laura's class start with an H so they can be called out in a row during the pilot:

quote:

- Donna Hayward? - Here.
- Audrey Horne? - Here.
- James Hurley? - Yo.

edit:
The start of season two creates a very interesting parallel to the third season. Both Cooper getting shot and Dougie turning back into Cooper are surrounded by intense slowness. At the start of season two, Cooper can barely walk, and he's pretty much lost track of the case. Similarly, Dougie is incredibly lumbering for most of the show. However, while season two marks a complete unravelling of the case, a loss of control, in season three Cooper comes out of his coma completely certain of his goal. Cooper in season three is right on track, outpacing the police, and reaching Twin Peaks even before the FBI gets there.

Someone really needs to compile the many times people say "I think I'm dreaming" in Twin Peaks. It happens a lot.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 1, 2019

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mongolian Queef posted:

CAR SICK!

RIP Miguel Ferrer :smith:

I just finished watching season 3 for the first time and then discovered he died. That's terrible, Albert was one of the best characters.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

After Twin Peaks kept popping up in my life at an uneasy frequency, followed by it popping up on Netflix while I was bored and having never seen it before,

I binged the entirety of all three seasons plus FWWM in four days

I feel a little ill.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dang that's pretty heroic.

I'm gonna get together with my oldest friend over Easter and we're going for a season 3 binge after I finally got him to watch the first two plus FWWM. We've been watching weird movies and listening to off-off-mainstream music since the old days (brothers in arts), and Lynch's 90s output was always a particular favourite, so I'm very much looking forward to his take on, well everything really but especially stuff like episode 8.

e: when we watched Mulholland Drive we took a smoke break halfway through and stood on the street for a good 15 minutes just going "what the gently caress" at each other, it's gonna be that all over again

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Did anyone else get the new Season 2 Music and More record for RSD? I had to pay to get it from a scalper. Very uncool.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished Season 3 this weekend and I'm not sure what really happened but I think I really liked it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season 3 left me feeling queasy in the best way possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr E posted:

I finished Season 3 this weekend and I'm not sure what really happened but I think I really liked it?
The solution to this is to watch it all over again with hindsight! :v:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

The solution to this is to watch it all over again with hindsight! :v:

This actually helped me a lot.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Or you can just think about the ending for 2 and a half years and listen to dark space low and feel existential dead!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The end of S3 still haunts me as well. It's so pitch perfect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Dark Space Low" is such a perfect name for that track too. What a good bit of music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The ending is seriously the most powerful director to audience lesson that I’ve ever experienced. Any other director would end up making it cynical and dismissive to the audience. Lynch threw us a completely Twin Peaks style gut punch in the form of reminding us what the show was always about. Then entire third season was a bit of a lesson/statement though wasn’t it?

Ugh I loving love Twin Peaks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Now that we are so far removed from the season, have there been any good pieces of critical analysis on it? Not talking about endless SEASON 3 ENDING EXPLAINED articles.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Season 3 ruined tv for me. Nothing will ever reach the highs of this season. I watch game of thrones since then and been bored as gently caress. Same with anything else.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Now that we are so far removed from the season, have there been any good pieces of critical analysis on it? Not talking about endless SEASON 3 ENDING EXPLAINED articles.

I've liked this guy's twin peaks writeups, heres one on the jumping man https://medium.com/@davidtitterington/jumping-kokopelli-2f1313663c25

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In Lynch news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrTtzTQrv0

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Season 3 ruined tv for me. Nothing will ever reach the highs of this season. I watch game of thrones since then and been bored as gently caress. Same with anything else.

Same. I still enjoy some “prestige” shows but they all seem so boring and formulaic in comparison now.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

https://25yearslatersite.com/2019/03/29/surrealist-objects-in-twin-peaks/

I really liked this article and the comparisons it makes to other surrealist metaphor. At the end of the day the correct way to experience Lynch is to feel it and allow the meaning to be vague.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Or you can just think about the ending for 2 and a half years and listen to dark space low and feel existential dead!

Wait... it’s been 2 and a half years?

What year is it?

Edit: It’s been a little over 1 and a half. I haven’t lost a year in the White Lodge after all.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Same, but also most movies sadly. Luckily the Criterion Channel has plenty of good stuff.