Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Kerk Kalmthout by roland luijken, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

I've been building a collection of IR landscapes shot from planes since 2008. Just this last December(2013) I got to put up a gallery at work. Whittled my 1000s of photos down to 19. I wouldn't say its my best 19 but its what I came up with in the limited time I had. Everything was printed at 60x40", mounted on 0.5" foamcore and hung in one of our lobbys.

These web images have a white matte which is exactly how I printed them. These are just a few of them.

You can see the whole gallery here:

http://shaozhang.smugmug.com/Professional/Hot-Snaps-Cold-Mirrors

And some additional B&W IR:

http://shaozhang.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Yosemite-May-2012/

edit: Shot with deep IR(720nm+) converted D80, D3200 and RX100. Budget cameras with dense pixels because I knew I wanted to print big. Budget lens too on the Nikons (18-105VR). Mostly from commercial flights. Some on foot. I have a lot on foot but to keep the theme I didn't use most them for this gallery. Of course deep IR is tonally monochrome so all the color you see is just split toned in post because gently caress near visible IR.

Nostalgia post. I haven't done any landscape work since my kids were born but now I might be able to inch some time to get back into it after a 5 year break.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please take more pictures like that.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just bought two prints of your photos because that is very much my poo poo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sauer posted:

Lol I’ve never setup payment on smugmug and I have no idea how it’s going to work. I would have hand made a large format print for you! But let’s see what happens.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've never bought a print off Smugmug before so I have no idea if they'll even be any decent. Endura Metallica paper will probably look real swanky for those though. Will update!

Edit: Looking at their documentation they apply any profits from sales to your subscription and then payout by Paypal after a certain amount which conveniently ends up being less than I spent :yum:.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 14, 2019

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Those are pretty great, especially for shooting out of a commercial jet. I always seem to get the window that's been sandblasted for the past umpteen years.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Those are pretty great, especially for shooting out of a commercial jet. I always seem to get the window that's been sandblasted for the past umpteen years.

There's a lot that goes into the planning and prep. Figure out which side the sun will be on for a specific flight. Figure out which side stuff may be on. Weather. Don't sit over the wings. Camera that's not too big/loud. Cleaning supplies for the window.

E: I just turned on access to the 'original' size on smug mug. Please don't buy anymore. The current uploaded size is close to the best but probably just a bit shy although should be fine for smaller prints.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 14, 2019

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Rice In The Winter
by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

I think the "look" of the photos you've been posting is very charming!

Also, those aerial infrared photos from Shaocaholica earlier in the thread were wild and are one of the first applications I've seen that really make me want to play with an infrared camera.

Prude fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 10, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Prude posted:

I think the "look" of the photos you've been posting is very charming

Thanks! I just shot some very expired Agfa film that I'm super excited to share. Vario-XL that has a use by of 1984. I'm picking up 10 rolls of the 120 on Friday.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Japan-20181202-9768 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181203-0019 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181130-9466 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181211-0545 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181211-0595 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

:japan::hf::japan:

Dope photo.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That's cool.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Makes me think of those flamingos in BBC Earth II walking and turning their heads semi-randomly. I like it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's been a while since a good PARKING LOT

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Kalmthoutse Heide by roland luijken, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss Flektogon 2.4 35mm

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

right?

can we pleaes get back to boring uninspired pics of nature

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Can I post a photo of mai waifu doing yoga on a rock in front of a lake

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Needs more benches tho.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

RangerScum posted:

right?

can we pleaes get back to boring uninspired pics of nature

I had the idea to make some pictures of shops at night here where I live. There is also a gym here that looks like a fish tank I want to photograph.
I was still restricted on the ''do it at the blue hour'' whatever rule.

There are some great urban night shots here.

No blue hour for me, I am free now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ooh, very nice

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sauer posted:

Did you ever get these?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm happy to oblige.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Shaocaholica posted:

Did you ever get these?

Tracking info shows they're waiting for me at the post office. I'll pick them up on my way home.

Edit: Smugmug's printing contractor didn't put that much effort into these. No resharpening was done to help out the down sampling and transition to paper so the prints are bit soft and 8x12 really isn't the right size to do the subject justice; I should have gone way bigger but my office wall isn't all that large. The Endura Metallic does look really good for the mountain range but not as good with all the clouds in the rearmost print. In room light they loose a lot of detail in the highest values as everything turns silvery white. They were packed well in a stiff card envelope to discourage Canada Post's tendency to try to boot gently caress everything into fitting in my mailbox.

Still love the images themselves though, great work.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Glad you like them didn’t have to throw them out. When I did my gallery show I printed 19 of them at 42in x 72in semi gloss.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 29, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

ooh, very nice

Thanks!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I love this light. I saw a similar thing in Hawaii on top of a mountain it was surreal. Like those old star trek sets on an alien planet with really even colored lighting.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Postcards, etc

Not the cleanest, but I like the effect

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Went to Morocco.

Vats by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr