Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Telebite posted:

I'm fairly certain most of those comments are from one of those services that you pay cash moneys to, and they flood your vids or forums or whatever with positive reviews or comments

Sandi absolutely hired an online PR firm a few years ago to get reviews published and CIG's eHonor defended online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

spacetoaster posted:

Sandi absolutely hired an online PR firm a few years ago to get reviews published and CIG's eHonor defended online.

That's probably the wisest investment CIG ever made.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

pnumoman posted:

That's probably the wisest investment CIG ever made.

Also very funny because of how stupid they went about it (tweeting about it and putting stuff about it on the internet).

And then there's a bunch of star citizen stuff (mostly reviews, streaming, and fake fan sites) created by this company.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 1, 2019

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Of all the games in this list of game production costs, SC is the only one that has a + on the price

What an awesome never ending scam

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

STARCITIZEN: The Ship Ejects the Character Outside the Ship Rather Than Sitting on the Toilet

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Of course there is a functioning toilet you can click "sit" on.

Why wouldn't there be, in this high-fidelity space faring simulator where you can go on that one planet and maybe its moon?

Rad-daddio posted:

STARCITIZEN: The Ship Ejects the Character Outside the Ship Rather Than Sitting on the Toilet

Wait... if there was no bug, what would the player been doing instead of getting ejected from the ship?

Do these people watch their avatar sit on a toilet and pretend they're taking a du.. oh. Of course they do.

Every time I stare into this abyss, the abyss punches back.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
How does a space toilet flush

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

lol holy poo poo :vince:

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I'm surprised that they haven't added loot boxes yet. If the whales will buy a $5000 ship, they'll happily buy $15000 of jpeg loot crates for a chance to win a $5000 ship.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Of all the games in this list of game production costs, SC is the only one that has a + on the price

What an awesome never ending scam
That's because the others are triple-A studios, while CIG is the first quadruple-A studio. You turd.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

They should offer real life financing options for their ships similar to car payments

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

crobbers mad no one likes his lovely gameplay mechanics

:words: :words:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a whole lot of words on something that truly doesn't matter in a game that does not exist.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's a whole lot of words on something that truly doesn't matter in a game that does not exist.

Is this too big for a thread title

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

crobbers mad no one likes his lovely gameplay mechanics

:words: :words:

Can this be quoted because it’s impossible to read on a phone

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Actually never mind I don’t give a flying gently caress

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

tbh this is a great reply i lol'd

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lmao

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sikreci posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't added loot boxes yet. If the whales will buy a $5000 ship, they'll happily buy $15000 of jpeg loot crates for a chance to win a $5000 ship.
It will never stop being hilarious to me that some of the same people who think a $5 cosmetic outfit in a free-to-play game is why EA is the most evil corporation to ever exist will bend over backwards to defend paying 4 figures for a picture and a promise. And then do it again and again.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Needs two hands waving around on the sides.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I feel like this game has something to do with Bitcoin. Maybe the kind of people who are into it also have the capacity to be buttcoiners.

HODL for Roberts Space Industries.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm coming here because I just remembered the other day that I got a spaceship for buying an AMD card years ago.

Apparently I can sell it for real non-butte money?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I'm coming here because I just remembered the other day that I got a spaceship for buying an AMD card years ago.

Apparently I can sell it for real non-butte money?

You can try, I’m not sure what they’re going for nowadays. Now, the ship that came “free” with the $900 Intel Optane drive, if you had one of those you’d be rollin in nerdbux.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The amount of money for one of those idiot ships is still mind boggling to me. I once spent 10 bux on clash of clans and I've felt like an idiot ever since. Imagine spending 100 times that. And not even getting anything out of it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Buddy, I don’t have to imagine it. (Yes, I’m a dumbfuck)

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The only space ship you need is a 1964 Chevy Malibu.

Best goddamned car in the yard.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rickshaw posted:

Best goddamned car in the yard.

:respek:

Also the extremely fat man is going to someday attempt to murder that newswoman he stalks. He will fail because he is so fat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How does a space toilet flush

It sucks the poo poo straight out of your rear end in a top hat.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I OCR'ed it online

quote:

STRFF
Christopher Roberts @croberme Quantum Drives I thought it would be useful to clarify a few things as I am seeing a polarization of opinion on the Quantum Drive mechanic that I discussed on this Fridays RTV First lets start with the Drive itself -
rDISCUSSIOn Today am
It is not a propulsion device in the manner we are familiar with. Comparing it to a car engine, a jet engine or a rocket is not useful as it doesn't operate on the same principals nor is it designed for indefinite continuous operation.
So what is a Quantum Drive?
It is Star Citizen's .'hand wavium. version of a device that creates a warp bubble around your ship and is somewhat inspired by the theory behind an Alcubierre drive ( ht[pdpedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre drive ). The idea is that when in operation the drive contracts the space directly in front of your ship, while expanding it directly behind. Since it is contracting and expanding space around you, your frame of reference stays the same, meaning that anything inside the bubble feels no effect of acceleration, which is good as the forces required to accelerate to 0.2c in a second would definitely be fatal. This is also why when you Quantum you travel in a straight line (Orbital Quantum is slightly different as the idea behind that is the the Quantum Drive emits a much much weaker field for a much shorter time so you're traveling much slower and you are also using the gravity of the planet you are orbiting to slingshot you)
As this type of drive works by manipulating the energy density around your ship, following on with the various theories of how a wormhole may exist, the drive has the raw tool (1he ability to create negative mass) that is needed to open up jump points / wormholes ( htlps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole ). Which is why if you look back on the SC lore, the first Jump Point was discovered by Nick Croshaw thanks to his modified Quantum Drive ( hops t/robeyuspacetndustrieu.com/comm linkttransmtsAon/t 537t Porttolto Tarsus Electronics)
To create a negative energy density you need exotic matter, which is why Quantum fuel is different / separate than thruster propulsion fuel.
We don't have it the game yet but our plan is to allow players to harvest / mine Quantum Matter. This would be different than collecting regular thruster fuel, which is accomplished by scooping up various gasses (dense inert ones would be best) from atmospheres or space clouds / nebula. Quantum Matter would likely be quite hard to find, dangerous to mine and very valuable (think of Coaxium from Solo: A Star Wars Story). Mining Quantum Matter will be part of the Harvestable Entities work we have planned for Q2 and may come online with the Q3 fuel work.
Thruster propellant is normally an ionized gas that is emitted by the thruster after being exposed to very strong electromagnetic forces. The model for a SC thruster is the VASMIR httpdpedia.org/wikiNariable Specific Impulse Magnetaplasma which is why power and heal management are important beyond having raw propellant.
Now we've got the pseudo science out of the way let me address the "heat" issue that some people have an issue with.
The idea behind the Quantum Drive (and Jump Drive) is that it requires a huge amount of power and the process that involves converting Quantum Matter into a negative energy field generates significant amount of heat that must be dealt with. The continued operation of the drive creates more heal than almost all ships have the ability to absorb but the larger the ship, the greater capacity for bath power generation and cooling, so the heat doesn't build up as quickly as it would on a smaller ship. The larger the ship, the more space for power and cooling units. The Idris is a good example with its huge reactor room and its cooling bath. Because of this it normally takes longer for a big ship to reach the point it must shut down the drive to allow i1100 cool down which is why larger ships can Quantum travel for a longer duration than a smaller ship that cant dedicate nearly as much space to power units and cooling. This is also the reason really small ships like a Merlin don't have a Quantum Drive at all; they just don't have room for the minimum required power and cooling you need for a Quantum Drive.
Now we could have just said size 1 Quantum Drives can jump for X time or distance and a size 2 one can do twice as much. If we had, I doubt I would have read a bunch of posts comparing Quantum Drives to car oraircraft engines, how they don't overheat so its stupid that 900 years in the future Quantum Drives overheat (although if you have a coolant leak or you're driving across the Sahara I think you'll find a car engine can overheat).
But as !said at the top of this post it is the wrong comparison to make.
In the Universe of Star Citizen no one (that humanity knows of) has made a Quantum Drive that can operate indefinitely. A Quantum Drive allows you to cover great distances in a short period of time but is only capable of operation for a limited amount of time before it needs to shut itself down and cool off. The reason why we made heal as well as Quantum Matter the driver of the Quantum travel time / distance is that it allows players to make choices in how they configure and set up their ship. Explorers would likely favor higher quality and larger cooling and well as a strong power source for long distance Quantum travel and jumps. But this would likely be at the expense of more powerful shields or weapons which it then couldn't operate effectively. The whole idea is to have the player make hard choices in what components to upgrade or equip; What is their priority? Combat? Travel Time / Distance? Protection? All things in the game are meant to have trade offs. We don't want some meta ship or loadout that trumps everything else. You configure your ship for combat but you can't Quantum as far as your weapons and shields are sucking down a bunch of power and cooling. If we didn't tie this to the power and heat but instead used some arbitrary time per drive there wouldn't be as much ability for the player to affect things inside a holistic system where all the components of the ship matter they simply would have to move up to a bigger item or ship to travel longer while in Quantum. With the system we are implementing you'll have a lot ability to tweak or alter things on the Fly, depending on your objective. A pilot could divert a bunch of power and cooling away from other systems, like shields or weapons to Quantum further but the downside is when coming out of Quantum they will be vulnerable until they can shift power back to the systems needed for combat.
This is much better gameplay as it gives players the opportunity to tweak and adjust on the fly. We built a systemic pipe and resource management system for for ships, people and locations just so people could make -trade offs in the resources dedicated to various components to achieve their current goal (or use this knowledge to cause havoc on an enemy ship or base). When far away from the nearest landing zone you can't just equip a bigger or better Quantum Drive in your ship but you could divert a lot more power and coding to it to get just that little extra distance.
Now this doesn't mean that we've managed to perfectly balance all the components, or that the feedback or control on their state is as clear as it should be, which is where I feel some of the frustration is conning from. Balancing power, heat and fuel use will be an ongoing project, patch to patch but what you are seeing with the power and heat management for thrusters, quantum drives, weapons, shields, scanners and other components is the beginning of holistic systemic gameplay that I believe will make Star Citizen, for those willing to invest the time, one of the deepest and rewarding games out there.
Having said that, it doesn't that mean the initial learning curve should be steep. Power, overclocking and heat management should be how invested players squeeze an extra 10-20% from their equipment to give them an edge. You don't have to do it but if you know your ship and components well you can "Scotty" that extra bit you may need in a tight bind.
We want the game to be easy to learn, difficult to master; we still have a ways to go to make the beginning experience easy and welcoming but with the systemic approach to ship functions and components we have the beginnings of a system that rewards players that want to move beyond basic flight / ship management and ganneplay.
-Chris

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For years people have asked, "what is quantum drive?"

This is Chris Roberts speaking...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
imagine having "time" to "invest" into a "game." if even one picosecond of my unscheduled day passes without bitblasting all of western civilization's most precious 80s toy commercials into my greasy breadsponge of a brain, i die so violently it leaves a crater which can Never Be Filled.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vitamin Me posted:

I OCR'ed it online

"we don't want some meta ship or loadout that trumps everything else" he says while selling millions of dollars worth of clipping-prone avatar power to anyone with a big enough wallet so that they can fly around 16 player instances as the biggest badass on the map

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what he is really saying is that he wants those big dick spaceships to appeal to a wide variety of fools that are easily parted from their money

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/t3LQrLF.gifv

Full version

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Vitamin Me posted:

It is Star Citizen's .'hand wavium. version of a device

:laugh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Spend less on spaceships