Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There are very few people who deserve the benefit of the doubt even less than Laura K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mehall posted:

Kelvin grove museum is great, and if the weather holds up, kelvingrove park is a nice place to eat your lunch if you get sandwiches or something.

Can recommend the cannolli from lamora pizzeria too.

The weather will not hold up. It's already lashing rain. Getting to the meusum will require many stops in shops along the way to stay dry.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Julio Cruz posted:

There are very few people who deserve the benefit of the doubt even less than Laura K.

Yeah I know but it was clear from the sequence of tweets that she was reporting on the thinking of cabinet.

Twitter is just loving annoying though

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
To give the full quote:

"There are plenty of British people employed by this building, but not a single person working in this building is British"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The 18th Century has called, they want their think-pieces back.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Where's that scatter plot showing how each MP voted on all the votes, showing Lab as mostly united while the Tories are very not?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

The weather will not hold up. It's already lashing rain. Getting to the meusum will require many stops in shops along the way to stay dry.

Didn't look too bad last time I looked out a window, but it was definitely ominous clouds.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mehall posted:

Didn't look too bad last time I looked out a window, but it was definitely ominous clouds.

I know it's some way from Glasgow but there are some roads shut from snow in the Highlands and Aberdeenshire. Slochd being the most notable one.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
(Reuters) - Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn can be trusted to work with Prime Minister Theresa May on Brexit, Conservative Party lawmaker Oliver Letwin said on Wednesday.

"I think he is somebody that we can do business with," Letwin, the architect of a series of votes on alternatives to May's Brexit deal, told BBC radio.

"If we can find common ground in a way that fulfils the referendum mandate, preserves jobs and security and preserves the union, we will have a way forward that when we look back on it, we will all be proud to have participated in," he said.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
We're doing a day trip to Dundee as we both have the day off for the first time in forever, any suggestions for things to do or places to eat will be happily recieved!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Theresa May looks down with rising horror at a long list with "Lie to parliament" "Exploit procedural ambiguity" "Threaten no deal" "Offer resignation as sweetener" all crossed out, to reveal at the bottom: "Talk to Jeremy Corbyn"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Coohoolin posted:

We're doing a day trip to Dundee as we both have the day off for the first time in forever, any suggestions for things to do or places to eat will be happily recieved!

The V and A given it’s the biggest and newest tourist attraction in the area?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Coohoolin posted:

The new museum is kinda poo poo but if you like getting chased by seagulls go to the McDonald's in the centre, get two 99p chicken mayo burgers and walk to Dundee uni

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

He's on the Daily Politics!

which dictatorship is he shilling for

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

New statement from Corbz:

"This government is afraid of me...I have seen its true face. The corridors of Westminster are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.""

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Go see the ship, it's the only thing in Dundee unless you want to go to the registry office and play Hunt the Legitimate Birth.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just saw this on Facebook, and it deserves to be shared widely.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

The V and A given it’s the biggest and newest tourist attraction in the area?

It's poo poo. It has like two galleries, you could see the whole thing in half an hour. The good old McManus is better, and even that's not stellar.

Born and bred here but Dundee's a bit of a hole these days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

That Italian Guy posted:

The 18th Century has called, they want their think-pieces back.
Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth.

Excellent, thanks. :)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

"This government is afraid of me...I have seen its true face. The corridors of Westminster are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.""

Someone photoshop the can of beans Rorschach eats from into a jar of jam.

Edit: no, scratch that. Azza, that's your cue.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Coohoolin posted:

Ain't been for years, uh... The McManus Museum is good? The view from the cemetery near Ninewells is nice? There's a good park before it, too.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Helen Highwater posted:

The New Model Army was the template for the modern full-time, professional army, as well as being responsible for some alt-club floorstormers and pretty much the entire back catalogue of The Levellers.

Army officers (like officers from all other branches) swear an oath of allegiance to the monarch. Not to the flag, parliament or the country, but to the Queen specifically.

But until 2010 (under the 2006 Armed Forces Act) only the Army had to swear allegiance. The RN and the RAF, being inherently 'Royal', had their loyalty taken as given. The 2006AFA harmonised the legal practices of all three service branches and so now they all swear the same oath.

Until then the difference (in that the Army was inherently untrustworthy...) was also clear in the wording of officers' commissions - the Army ones have lots of suck-up phrasing like "greetings, trusty well-beloved [x], having special confidence in you..." because it stems from the time when armies were privately-held and a monarch couldn't afford to piss off nobles with the power to raise a force against them. Meanwhile RN and RAF commissions basically read like threatening letters saying that if you fail to uphold Liz R's wishes you'll be carted off to the Tower or shot on your own quarterdeck, and don't you ever forget it!

How this applies to members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces shooting at a picture of the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition I don't know but it's loving mindboggling that things have got to that stage, it really is!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fuctifino posted:

I just saw this on Facebook, and it deserves to be shared widely.

This looks a bit like Branson.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hehe, Chuka does not even make an appearance :D

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1113393063278338048

:thunk:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Someone photoshop the can of beans Rorschach eats from into a jar of jam.

The beans will do fine, considering it's the official backside food of Brexit, plus those stories of Corbz eating cold beans from the can rather than going out to fancy dinners

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Right correct me if i'm wrong here but....

The withdrawal agreement is legally binding. The political declaration (the future relationship) is not.

If TMay wants to come to a compromise with Labour, how can she can possibly guarantee that next part when she wont be PM?

Even if May and Labour come up with a deal, pass the Withdrawal Agreement and a Political declaration that is, say, a Customs Union with the EU and alignment on workers/environmental rights.

May then resigns and Bojo ends up PM and actually has to negotiate the future relationship part (i.e. everything above the bare minimum defined in the withdrawal agreement), and just says Nope, not interested, i'm in charge now...then labour have no come back?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
presumably corbyn will ask for a bill that binds future governments (though not future parliaments)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 3, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wink wink for subtle am I.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

The beans will do fine, considering it's the official backside food of Brexit, plus those stories of Corbz eating cold beans from the can rather than going out to fancy dinners

lol (from the DM hit piece)

quote:

"In line with his lifelong disapproval of aspiration and success, he never talked about buying a bigger home or car or increasing his income. When he returned home at night, he’d happily open a can of beans, swallow them cold and declare himself satisfied."

Chlop. Thlup. Shorp. Lep. Ah, Hello Theresa. Helped myself to some beans. Hope you don't mind.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Maybe the EU would be open to adding to the WA rather than changing it and they could put whatever Corbyn and May agree in that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

coffeetable posted:

presumably corbyn will ask for a bill that binds future governments (though not future parliaments)

Yeah that's the first thing he's asked for apparently

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1113384629447184384

lmao eat a dick IDS

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That makes sense given that parliament can instruct the PM to do things and that doesn't change just because the PM does. Also puts a future PM in an interesting position where they can only change it by calling a GE :getin:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Sadly for Theresa his motto is “Never compromise. Not even in the face of oblivion.”

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If a Nazi assassinated Corbyn I wonder if any of these Tory shites would even cry crocodile tears for the public

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/4OurVeterans/status/1113372954967015426

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I know it's some way from Glasgow but there are some roads shut from snow in the Highlands and Aberdeenshire. Slochd being the most notable one.

There's a bit of snow in EK today, and a weather warning just to the south of Lanark, down to England, but Glasgow city centre itself hasn't been too bad. Lots of brief hail yesterday.
It is raining just now though, so maybe I just didn't notice earlier.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I cant wait for ids to be dragged in front of a troika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I cant wait for ids to be dragged in front of a troika

personally I’d rather he was dragged behind a troika