Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I spent far too much time trying to read that watermark.

More magic from Tiltin' My Lens photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Crosspost from The Vinyl Thread

caligulamprey posted:

Completely and utterly off-topic, but I've been staring in awe of this current picture of the band Kansas for the last twenty minutes:

i think it may be a composite

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 29, 2019

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I suck at photography so I shouldn't throw stones really.. but..

https://twitter.com/TSSteinbacher/status/1111677283297886208?s=19

Well you see, being directed by the photographer to “squat like you’re taking a poo poo in the woods” is symbolic of her situation, while the contrast of her smile makes the viewer aware of thhbbthbbbthtpptthbbthrht

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It’s like the weirdest loss edit

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Wild EEPROM posted:

It’s like the weirdest loss edit

She did move past and heal, I guess.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

To be fair I'm not sure it's possible to do a good divorce photoshoot, wtf

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wafflecopper posted:

To be fair I'm not sure it's possible to do a good divorce photoshoot, wtf

Yeah, I was thinking the concept was far worse than the pictures. I guess it's a new revenue stream?
Getting fired photoshoot
Public intoxication arrest photoshoot
Cancer diagnosis photoshoot
Having Fluffy put down photoshoot
Four pack a day smoking photoshoot
Voting for [insert terrible politician] photoshoot
Weffer thin mint photoshoot
Fender bender photoshoot
Take Grandpa to the nursing home photoshoot.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What are some photography names that I could use to focus on that segment of the market?
Painful Moments Photography
Blue Mood Photography
Unique Grief Photography

I don’t know, there has to be something better.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Let us not forget that this very thread contains a "nurses post-miscarriage photoshoot"

edit: it's not actually a photoshoot but i just remembered that picture so now y'all have to as well

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 30, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

rio posted:

What are some photography names that I could use to focus on that segment of the market?
Blue Mood Photography
Unique Grief Photography

Done Wrong Photography

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well if that doesn’t say “I am totally over this relationship”, then I don’t know what does.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

tk posted:

Well if that doesn’t say “I am totally over this relationship”, then I don’t know what does.

If I was over a relationship I would be running with a golden retriever on a beach bare-foot while eating a triple ice-cream cone. But taking a dump on a rock is cool too.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Local camera shop started a new blog today. It's stupid and wonderful.
https://cameratraders.home.blog/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

no broccoli please posted:

I really dig the recurring "why I switched from ___ to ___" posts.

e: lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's awesome, I hope it makes some people actually angry and I hope I get to read their anger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wait a couple months then start linking the articles around social media, guarantee you'll catch some idiots.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks I don't hate it

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

rio posted:

Blue Mood Photography
Unique Grief Photography

I'm starting my own photography company that specializes in deserting partners, like photoshoots for marriages with runaway spouses or getting stood up on dates. I'm calling it No Show Mofo Photo.

Friendship ended with dpreview/youtube reviews, cameratraders.home.blog is my new best friend.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The Nikon lens post was great. All those images are quality.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

When your autofocus selects the wrong subject, but you still gotta post something.

President Trump Arrives in El Centro, CA by The White House, on Flickr

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Autofocus doing exactly what it should do in that photo. The back of someones head would be even more preferable, mind.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
What makes this even better is that the photo description is all about what POTUS is doing in the image.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I want to see that military photographers pictures.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Doggles posted:

When your autofocus selects the wrong subject, but you still gotta post something.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Autofocus doing exactly what it should do in that photo. The back of someones head would be even more preferable, mind.

With a better (read: not-hamstrung) photographer and depth of field that was wide enough that DJT were not an indiscriminate yellow-and-orange blob, this could be a pretty decent if unremarkable metacomment about how the United States in general and the Presidency in particular are bigger and more significant than the specific people who happen to borrow the office for a while.

Instead we got this.

( "Instead we got this." could be the tagline for the whole administration, I admit. )

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trump looking like that pikachu meme image that's been all the rage the past 6 months.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Doggles posted:

Plane looks upon current President disapprovingly.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I've got a really odd question and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask. Though I will admit this is probably best directed to those who do more portrait work.

If you have people you work with on a regular basis do you ever show them mediocre to downright awful pics posted by others and ask them to pull out what exactly is wrong with them? Not to make fun of whoever actually posted the photo... but how to make it better. I work with a regular group of people and I've found that to be a good exercise especially so they understand why I do things the way I do. I'm not perfect by any means (and I very specifically ask them to call out any issues in the stuff we do). It just seems like we all learn something from doing this. And I was just curious if anyone else actually does it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ReverendHammer posted:

I've got a really odd question and I figured this thread would be a good place to ask. Though I will admit this is probably best directed to those who do more portrait work.

If you have people you work with on a regular basis do you ever show them mediocre to downright awful pics posted by others and ask them to pull out what exactly is wrong with them? Not to make fun of whoever actually posted the photo... but how to make it better. I work with a regular group of people and I've found that to be a good exercise especially so they understand why I do things the way I do. I'm not perfect by any means (and I very specifically ask them to call out any issues in the stuff we do). It just seems like we all learn something from doing this. And I was just curious if anyone else actually does it.

It's good to find a group to constructively criticize each other's work. I do this with a couple of trusted friends, we get together every month or so with a few prints and critique each other's work. Criticizing strangers is also cool, there was a lovely photographer thread a few years ago that got pretty wild. DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS
It's good to find a trusted group to poo poo on terrible photographers and critique your own work. Being able to describe and pinpoint what makes a photo bad will help you to avoid mistakes in the future.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 12, 2019

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

red19fire posted:

It's good to find a group to constructively criticize each other's work. I do this with a couple of trusted friends, we get together every month or so with a few prints and critique each other's work. Criticizing strangers is also cool, there was a lovely photographer thread a few years ago that got pretty wild. Or, the dorkroom slack channel is a loving thunderdome.

It's good to find a trusted group to poo poo on terrible photographers and critique your own work. Being able to describe and pinpoint what makes a photo bad will help you to avoid mistakes in the future.

Whenever we're in a studio and I can shoot tethered I'll get other members of the team to look at the screen and call out any possible problems. When we might be out on a location we'll walk through where I would like to shoot to see if they point out anything of concern.

Looking at works from others has been interesting because most of the time we have no idea what their lighting setup was or the direction of their artistic intent. The former you can get some decent ideas of what they did if you think through things. But the latter isn't always apparent.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Or, the dorkroom slack channel is a loving thunderdome.
How does one get access to this channel?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

red19fire posted:

lovely photographer thread

Isn't that literally this thread?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ineptitude posted:

Can’t you read?? This thread is for the BEST photographer

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ineptitude posted:

no that's the street thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I like to think that I take the lovely thread with me wherever I go. :smuggo:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

nvm

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Look into your heart, friend.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is it just me or is there something wrong with this. I'm not professional, but according to the FB group this guy keeps posting too, these works of art should be framed and in a museum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a boring composition where someone thought reflections and sunset color is all you need to get an epic photo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lysandus posted:

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this. I'm not professional, but according to the FB group this guy keeps posting too, these works of art should be framed and in a museum.

Having the reflection more or less directly in the middle of the frame is kinda boring and having the tops of the trees on the bottom of the frame cut off feels strange to me. Also the whole thing looks kinda soft but not in a 'dreamy' way, more mushy. And they've definitely pushed the red/pink enough to make it look unnatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Blackhawk posted:

Also the whole thing looks kinda soft but not in a 'dreamy' way, more mushy.

It's Orton Effect nonsense.