Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

935 posted:

I'm trying to put into words why I'm just not super excited for Endgame. Avengers and Infinity War were both day one movies for me but this is feeling more like an Age of Ultron tuesday matinee. On one hand I like the *idea* of not spoiling anything in the trailers but on the other hand they've got to give us somehing to get butts in seats other than people moping around.

It's because Infinity War sucked rear end, hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried reading some modern Fantastic Four comics back in my heavy comic reading days and could never get into them. I did find they worked well as supporting characters in other comics though.

fantastic four is one of those things that is hyper ultra cliche and every single thing about them is a trope you've seen a million billion times, and they just feel lame.

Then you go look it up and it turns out they invented 90% of it and are the exact reason those tropes exist and they are foundational to all comics story telling. And that is really cool historically, but still makes them a big dull chore to read.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's because Infinity War sucked rear end, hope that helps.

Nah

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lmao

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

hahahaha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The two biggest Avengers films are thematically about "not spoiling anything" and that kicks rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The line between avant-garde and avengers movie is razor thin, but it’s one those magic razor wires that cut you in half

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Oh my loving god

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
You guys get the whole "we can't tell tom holland anything" is just a running joke and an intentional thing, not something real, right?

https://twitter.com/iamgeekingout/status/990960766428696576

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:trumppop:

I'm reminded of the Hobbit and prequel greenscreen pictures

e: oh lol

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

“That’s a hell of an act. What do you call it?”

"The Avengers!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You guys get the whole "we can't tell tom holland anything" is just a running joke and an intentional thing, not something real, right?

https://twitter.com/iamgeekingout/status/990960766428696576

No because I don’t follow marketing press and now you’ve ruined my day thanks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's believable based on previous actual complaints from actors about acting against a tennis ball on a stick, and the Ian McKellen crying story referenced above

But yeah if that was just a joke about keeping secrets from Holland it is pretty good, and I guess I am one of the April fools

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

They should at least put a sticker of the character on the tennis ball.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It explains so much about how cookie cutter these movies are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was just for Infinity War.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I said come in! posted:

It explains so much about how cookie cutter these movies are.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My favorite part of the Beauty and the Beast live action remake was the "Be Our Guest" rendition. Not because it was really any good, but because it was fun to watch Emma Watson try to look really engaged while imagining what it was actually like for her to sit in a dark room for hours, watching stagehands wave tennis balls in her face.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

This would be great but only if it goes like Stormwatch/Aliens did.

Including characters that should no way be killed by Aliens, like Fuji or whoever that was, dying offscreen inexplicably.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pospysyl posted:

My favorite part of the Beauty and the Beast live action remake was the "Be Our Guest" rendition. Not because it was really any good, but because it was fun to watch Emma Watson try to look really engaged while imagining what it was actually like for her to sit in a dark room for hours, watching stagehands wave tennis balls in her face.

The Disney live action joints are so freakish.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

fantastic four is one of those things that is hyper ultra cliche and every single thing about them is a trope you've seen a million billion times, and they just feel lame.

Then you go look it up and it turns out they invented 90% of it and are the exact reason those tropes exist and they are foundational to all comics story telling. And that is really cool historically, but still makes them a big dull chore to read.

Hickman's Fantastic Four/F4 which built up his Secret War was hands down the best thing Marvel has done in the last whatever years, and it's because it fully embraced those strengths of the source while doing new things. Also, Doom is the best "kind-of" villain Marvel has.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

pospysyl posted:

Mine was when they cut down Belle to be a 200% easier song to sing, including the best vocal parts of the song, and they still were sung mediocre-ly.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Got my tickets boys

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Disney live action joints are so freakish.

Jungle Book was okay because it makes sense with the tone and the idea of living among jungle predators for it to be unnerving, but the rest are just nightmares lol

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Darko posted:

Hickman's Fantastic Four/F4 which built up his Secret War was hands down the best thing Marvel has done in the last whatever years, and it's because it fully embraced those strengths of the source while doing new things. Also, Doom is the best "kind-of" villain Marvel has.

All hope lies in Doom.

I’d love a couple FF movies that lead to Hickman’s Avengers with the Illuminati.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn’t realize tickets went on sale today. I guess everyone in DC has AMC A List or something because the largest theater was basically sold out of all their Dolby Cinema and IMAX showings for opening weekend. I’ve never seen a film in Dolby Cinema but my understanding is it’s a higher quality presentation unless you’re in a laser IMAX or 70mm theater.

I did manage to sneak in a decent seat for Dolby Cinema late Saturday evening. I’ll probably see it again in IMAX to see what I missed out on; I think seeing it in IMAX first is probably worse since I may not notice the extra stuff since I’ll be focused on the middle of frame... he said to rationalize his decision. :v:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Daddy Thanos posted:

Jungle Book was okay because it makes sense with the tone and the idea of living among jungle predators for it to be unnerving, but the rest are just nightmares lol

Yeah, besides 101 Dalmations*, Jungle Book is easily the best of the "live action" Disney adaptations.

*I guess if they do that Emma Stone prequel then it'll count instead

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

935 posted:

they've got to give us somehing to get butts in seats other than people moping around.

I mean it seems like all the ticket places loving exploded and tons of places sold out like instantly so it seems.....no, they don't?

Artistically they are of course open to criticism, but financially they seem to have this whole thing down to a science.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Whether or not this is a joke, it's more or less what their fight scenes look like, which makes it either a very good joke or a very bad one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Josh Lyman posted:

I didn’t realize tickets went on sale today. I guess everyone in DC has AMC A List or something because the largest theater was basically sold out of all their Dolby Cinema and IMAX showings for opening weekend. I’ve never seen a film in Dolby Cinema but my understanding is it’s a higher quality presentation unless you’re in a laser IMAX or 70mm theater.

I did manage to sneak in a decent seat for Dolby Cinema late Saturday evening. I’ll probably see it again in IMAX to see what I missed out on; I think seeing it in IMAX first is probably worse since I may not notice the extra stuff since I’ll be focused on the middle of frame... he said to rationalize his decision. :v:

the tickets went on sale super early in the morning. Like for me, they were already going at 6:30 GMT

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

lol there won't be any Doom, FF, X-Men, Deadpool, none of that in the stingers, they only just got the rights and they were explicitly barred from even working on anything involving those characters until the deal was done. We won't see that poo poo on screen for two years minimum.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ryan Reynolds probably just hangs around the marvel studios in the Deadpool suit for shits and giggles.

If there's any universe merging, 4th wall breaking scene to be done at the end of the movie it'll probably be a quick one of him.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Happy Hippo posted:

lol there won't be any Doom, FF, X-Men, Deadpool, none of that in the stingers, they only just got the rights and they were explicitly barred from even working on anything involving those characters until the deal was done. We won't see that poo poo on screen for two years minimum.

the shawarma scene was shot two days after the avengers premiere

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The trailer for the ticket sales that came out yesterday doesn't give me hope the movie's aesthetic will live up to the scope and context. For shame.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Daddy Thanos posted:

Got my tickets boys

Going to an IMAX screen that is 32 metres wide so my body can receive the concussive effects of an IED 100 times over and I get CTE from Iron Man

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Got my tickets at 2AM in the morning. Never thought I would do that in my life.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

teagone posted:

The trailer for the ticket sales that came out yesterday doesn't give me hope the movie's aesthetic will live up to the scope and context. For shame.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I just rewatched Infinity War and the Titan fight between Thanos and Iron Man / Dr. Strange / Spiderman / GotG crew feels really weirdly cramped and small-set-ish, despite it all being CGI and therefore open to any and all possibilities.

I'm don't know how to describe this in *~filmic language~*, so maybe I can use some examples to show what I mean:

The scale of the lattice bits of Cybertron crashing into Earth in Transformers: The Last Knight is far, far more impressive and well-realized, and you really get the impression that it's this massive thing.

In the A:IF Titan fight, all the bits of debris feel, essentially, like an plane hanger that has rusted. Big, but not huge, even though the fight is very meaningful as it's the absolutely closest the team ever gets to stopping Thanos.

Then there's the final fight where the isolated pockets of fighting, like the Only-Gurls-Allowed fight that happens in an ugly ditch, or the woods fight, all feel small scale and deflate what is supposed to be the gravity of this grand fight.

Even in this last one, the camera pulls back and gives us a wide shot, and everything looks so puny.

The fights look small and "un-epic" despite what the script and score would have you believe. Also, to me, they're just buttcrack ugly.

(Sorry for the poor resolution of images, I just snipped them from YT clips.)

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 3, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Whether or not this is a joke, it's more or less what their fight scenes look like, which makes it either a very good joke or a very bad one.

That's the reason I posted it, no one even pretends the action in these films is good anymore, which is bizarre to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i mean to be fair the effects work in the Transformers movies is like, the cream of the crop