Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Also K&E’s work product is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
^^^
But they do a lot of it, which is the point. Not to provide quality representation, just the most of it.

Soothing Vapors posted:

whoever let Kirkland draft the order should be disbarred

Was never a litigator, but isn't one of the litigants drafting the order standard practice? Especially for a mass tort case like BP?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

another fun fact about kirkland: their real partners are not human

no, seriously: if you look closely at Kirkland filings, you'll notice the actual equity partners all have "P.C." after their name. that is because the human is not a kirkland partner: the human has formed an individual professional corporation and that corporation is the kirkland partner.

When a lawyer reaches its corporate form

I’m a big fan of sending lawyers letters that say “here is what I wanted to do, unless you advise otherwise I will assume you agree.” Even better if this is buried in three pages of other garbage. Though granted this works a lot better with idiot plaintiff attorneys than biglaw monkey scribes and other assorted drones

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sab0921 posted:

^^^
But they do a lot of it, which is the point. Not to provide quality representation, just the most of it.

Was never a litigator, but isn't one of the litigants drafting the order standard practice? Especially for a mass tort case like BP?

sure, but you dont let them draft it so that it heavyhandedly favors them and only them lol

Phil Moscowitz posted:

biglaw monkey scribes
lol

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

quote:

Mudd,

I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me how the courts work in Name County. That means a lot. From now on, I will call you whenever I have a question about any of the courts out here. I must be a complete moron. What was I thinking? Here I am, working in these courts, running into these judges, court coordinators, bailiffs, all over town - knowing from experience how things work out here and, more specifically, how they work in the Name County district courts – and it takes a Dallas-Lawyer to finally fill me in.

I’m sure Name is telling you what she tells anyone who calls in – like any Dallas-Lawyer who calls in. But, I am telling you, as a lawyer who actually practices out here, your deadlines will not work. I will also let you in on a little not-so-secret-to-those-of-us-practicing-out-here…. The Name County Courthouse has not had Internet the last two days. Tina couldn’t even lookup trial dates. The civil trial week for the number court is the 2nd full week of the month = January 13th. Your proposal has deadlines on the trial date and closes discovery within 30 days of trial. Now, quit being such a giant, enormous, massive Dallas-Lawyer and for a half a minute work off the premise that, even though I am not in DFW, I may not be a complete idiot and may actually have a clue about how my own courthouse operates.

Be nice to me, or I won’t tell you the secret to making the elevators work in the courthouse an you’ll have to schlep your gear up 3 flights of stairs.

Sincerely,
Small County Lawyer

I think I made a friend

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

Every paragraph dripping with butthurt

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

Frame this poo poo.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think I’m just going to tell my boss to ask the judge for an exception and give them everything numbered in native format.

Yeah I also misinterpreted your request. You can use something like Logikcull and avoid Relativity altogether. It makes it a lot easier to produce native files (with load files and TIFF images and whatever metadata you want) without a litigation support team, but gets cost prohibitive at over 10-20 gigs or so without a longer term contract (basic plan is billed per Gig per month). If you have basic tech experience or whatever you said it should be easy enough to figure out on your own or with their very nice support team and extensive FAQ.

Otherwise, yeah just produce the PDFs and make Kirkland go to the judge if that’s not good enough for them for some reason...?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

Why the gently caress would someone write something so shameful and then send it to a stranger?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

If he's so plugged in there he wouldn't need to send such a passive-aggressive email. He'd just smile and hometown you at trial.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

This is amazing.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Law megathread: I must be a complete moron. What was I thinking? Here I am

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

EwokEntourage posted:

Law megathread: I must be a complete moron. What was I thinking? Here I am

Seconded

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, if anyone was thinking of prosecuting in a mid-size Midwest city/county, now is your moment. My office is soon going to be down 4 attorneys out of 9 in the criminal division.

Kill me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, if anyone was thinking of prosecuting in a mid-size Midwest city/county, now is your moment. My office is soon going to be down 4 attorneys out of 9 in the criminal division.

Kill me.

What if I just come down to your hayseed county and commit some crimes?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sir! This is a corncob county.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's dangerous to mess with Iowans and their sweet corn

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Kill me.

Yeah I'll take you up on that but only if I can apply ECHR to the cases.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Gonna have to pay $862 for my admission :suicide:. Not sure if I should be posting here or in the bad with money thread.

E: in addition to my police check which is $50 so let's just call it $900 all up.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 3, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Whitlam posted:

Gonna have to pay $862 for my admission :suicide:. Not sure if I should be posting here or in the bad with money thread.

E: in addition to my police check which is $50 so let's just call it $900 all up.

Yeah but that's like down under money right? Eucalyptus-dollars? Dollaridoos?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah but that's like down under money right? Eucalyptus-dollars? Dollaridoos?

Kangarugerrand.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Whitlam posted:

“The Admission Without Examination filing fee is $2500. This fee covers the cost of processing the Application, investigating matters contained in the applicant's completed Character & Fitness Questionnaire, and preparing of the Character Report.”

(Virginia.)

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Kill me.

Lest we risk a C-SPAM brigade like the landlord thread, I thought the thread (HDD) already hashed out that all criminal prosecutors are scum that should be executed for their crimes against the people?

Edit: Unless this is a honeypot to entrap lawyers to be executed for being an arm of the prison-industrial complex, then of course carry on.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

Lest we risk a C-SPAM brigade like the landlord thread, I thought the thread (HDD) already hashed out that all criminal prosecutors are scum that should be executed for their crimes against the people?

Edit: Unless this is a honeypot to entrap lawyers to be executed for being an arm of the prison-industrial complex, then of course carry on.

This thread concluded that? I thought that was insurance defense attorneys.

I hope my Trump thread fun isn't ruined. "I'm one of the good ones." Yesterday I told an ICE lawyer who wanted reports from a case I did to gently caress off.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Trying to think on what lawyers are NOT scum...outlook not so good

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Public defenders are ok?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I'm late to the K&E chat but want to share that I am wrapping up a deal with K&E on the other side, and their negotiation tactic was: (a) respond to all of our comments/markups with a one line email calling us loving idiots, and (b) call up some other random partner at my firm and yell at them about how terrible we (meaning the deal team) are. This is the second time I've had this experience against K&E, and the first time was with a different partner in a different office.

We ended up conceding to them on everything anyway because sponsors have all the leverage.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

I think I made a friend

If it's North Texas, I have 3 pretty solid guesses for the County/Lawyer, lol

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Public defenders are ok?

Public Defenders should be first against the wall for their participation in, and legitimization of, the prison-industrial complex.
To the barricades!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trying to think on what lawyers are NOT scum...outlook not so good

Legal aid.

Even if 75% of their work is representing people who trashed an apartment and are trying to get an extra 2 weeks before they're evicted.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Lol, send him a bill for .2 hr, mentoring.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ani posted:

I'm late to the K&E chat but want to share that I am wrapping up a deal with K&E on the other side, and their negotiation tactic was: (a) respond to all of our comments/markups with a one line email calling us loving idiots, and (b) call up some other random partner at my firm and yell at them about how terrible we (meaning the deal team) are. This is the second time I've had this experience against K&E, and the first time was with a different partner in a different office.

We ended up conceding to them on everything anyway because sponsors have all the leverage.

Being sponsor counsel rules.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope my Trump thread fun isn't ruined. "I'm one of the good ones." Yesterday I told an ICE lawyer who wanted reports from a case I did to gently caress off.

Nah I'm pretty sure I argued against this and HDD conceded so.... But yeah deffo insurance defense are scum.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

The thread didn't actually conclude that, HDD just had a minor meltdown which was entertaining for a bit.

I, for one, think prosecutors are fine. But - at the moment - there is one running against Bernie, so until the primary is over (or Harris drops), I hate them all and they're all scum.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Prosecutors suck and have to have their privates shorn/sewn so that their divorce from humanity is complete.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Prosecutors suck and have to have their privates shorn/sewn so that their divorce from humanity is complete.

HDD alt account spotted

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

What the hell is HDD? I only read like 5 boards.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

What the hell is HDD? I only read like 5 boards.

Someone who think's he's fighting the man even though he kicks war widows out of their houses so the man can build a freeway.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm posted:

Someone who think's he's fighting the man even though he kicks war widows out of their houses so the man can build a freeway.

Oh it's a person, not a board. Got it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

If it's North Texas, I have 3 pretty solid guesses for the County/Lawyer, lol

Sadly it's one of those counties out west that doesn't really even have a town. 10,000 fracking wells and 2,000 people.