Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kama 6 + David/Devins do a 4/4 split on Kelly/Lauren who both play their idols. Kelly/Lauren/Wardog pull in Aurora unbeknownst to the Kama 6 who have told her to vote for one of Kelly or Lauren. Those 4 vote for Devins who plays his idol.

The vote ends with no legitimate votes.

Or Aurora doesn't get any info and ends up with the only live vote against someone in the Kama 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

blue squares posted:

She didn't actually say that. The show lied with the editing
I’m pretty sure she said it. I saw her say it on TV. The secret scene posted here doesnt negate that I don’t think? It’s not like she was saying “it’s great to get Devins back!” in that clip

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The whole notion of Aurora flipping easily to the Lessus just sounds inconclusive to me. She jumps ship for the chance to...go to rocks? Either way she's on the bottom of the group (presuming Lessu would have to re-unify in order to have any legitimate shot against Kama), but at least if she keeps tagging along with Kama, she has a shot of buddying up with like Victoria or somebody when they inevitably decide to recruit from the periphery to blindside part of the core alliance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I don't buy the conspiracy theory. Sorry. I'm willing to concede they might have plucked a "Oh. Hell. No" directed at the larger group of Manu evictees and directed it specifically at Rick but even if you take the much larger leap to them constructing the entire confessional against Rick out of different clips like some spy movie that still doesn't change the fact that Wentworth included Devins in the group of Manu evictees she was afraid of, singled out Aubry as the exception to the group, and immediately went to work trying to get everyone to target Devins.

Whether or not she specifically said "that's the last face I wanted to see" towards Devins (which the online clip doesn't actually include to give us context for what face she was talking about) the overall point is still that Wentworth saw Devins as a bitter threat she voted out and not a potential ally.

Vernacular posted:

The whole notion of Aurora flipping easily to the Lessus just sounds inconclusive to me. She jumps ship for the chance to...go to rocks? Either way she's on the bottom of the group (presuming Lessu would have to re-unify in order to have any legitimate shot against Kama), but at least if she keeps tagging along with Kama, she has a shot of buddying up with like Victoria or somebody when they inevitably decide to recruit from the periphery to blindside part of the core alliance.

I was skeptical about the "Aurora flipping" idea until they went and blindsided her with this vote. I have no idea what Aurora's deal is besides those one or two times someone else mentioned her as an ally of Joe's but that vote and Ron talking about "the Kama 6" made it clear she's outside the group. And maybe she didn't know that or something but the Kama 6 just did the one thing short of calling her out in Tribal to make it clear she's on the outside looking in.

As I said, my assumption is that if she's too passive a player to even get on TV then she's probably too passive a player to do something risky like flipping a narrow vote with or without rocks in play. And it seems unlikely Wentworth/Lauren/Wardog and David/Devins will be able to fix their poo poo.

But that doesn't make Kama giving up their large majority, lying to half the island including Aurora, and leaving in more cunning players because they really wanted to get out Joe before he won every single immunity in the season a better move to me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 30, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bigass Moth posted:

I just don’t get why Joe did nothing on tribal day despite not having an idol and knowing his team has just voted out the other returnee and I think knowing they were gunning for him. Why not try to flip and bring Aurora who was clearly in the outside?

Joe's strategy is Win challenges. That's all he's got.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not going back to source the quote, but I'm pretty sure what she said was that her heart sank when he won because he was the most likely EoE person to be mad at her due to how he went out and its recency. Seems reasonable?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think she really directly commented on Devins besides the "when I saw his face, he has to go home" stuff from the TV one. She says how everyone "except Aubry" was voted out by her and she was always part of the majority and is now part of the minority so having back someone who she voted out made things worse. But nothing specific about Devins.

My guess is she doesn't have anything specific against him, she just was at a low point with the merge numbers and saw all the Manu EoEers as threats who she voted out and might want revenge. If she evaluated them individually maybe she says something like "Reem and Keith would be real mad, Wendy is Wendy, Chris would be mad but maybe I could reason with him since he targeted me first, but Rick could probably be reasoned with so he might be the best option." But I think she just saw "drat, this sucks that I'm in the minority and now its worse because someone I voted out is back in."

Unless there's some whole drama from Rick's eviction or promises Wentworth made that just never made air. I think her comments/actions weren't really about Devins, they were just Wentworth spiraling out into "anyone but me" mode.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
People are way underselling the odds of the non-Kama 6 banding together. Last week was completely different, where none of the 5 Lesu's knew anything about the dynamics of Kama because they were literally all just meeting them for the first time. Even Joe and Aurora didn't know where they stood with the group because they never actually had to go to a vote and Joe had a bunch of weird promises and side deals with Ron and Julia. And even if Joe and Aurora did know for sure they were on the bottom, they don't know if the other 6 are completely cohesive or just loosely working together by default.

Obviously as viewers we can see that grouping of 6, but the other players didn't (for whatever dumb reason)... until now. There's no better way to shine a spotlight on your big dominant six person alliance by lying to everyone else and voting out a secret target with exactly six votes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

Sure they are. Not only are they not feeding and boozing the EoE people, it's only even there so casuals can gawk at Aubry and Joe to keep the ratings and ad revenue up. If you think that anything about this show isn't about maximizing profit, you're kidding yourself.

Speaking of, I also watched that horrible fake ninja warrior cash grab of a show! I love the goon ire, but something I've come to realize is that non-goon fans often watch Survivor specifically for the challenges. Strategy is secondary to them. That show is for them, not us.

I lol'ed, though.

No doubt money is the most important thing but that doesn't mean every single decision is to save money. They could just be taking a shot at this idea to see if it brings in (or retains) more viewers.

Fast Luck posted:

Casual fans love Joe, Jeff loves Joe, guys like Joe are why Jeff created the Fire 4 previously, guys like Joe are why they're doing Extinction Island this time, it's all about keeping the island boy archetype that casuals and Jeff love in the game and giving them a chance to win. Thankfully I expect Extinction is just a one-time thing because they're permanently in Fiji so they're playing with lots of different themes and gimmicks to differentiate the seasons.

I think extinction island isn't a terrible mechanic for all seasons in the pre-merge. They squeeze more entertainment out of the early boots.

No, but I hear what you're about to say. It does take away from the main cast which I'm also am less fond of.

blue squares posted:

Babby's first Survivor?

They lie to us about what REALLY happened all the time to create a story. WE care about the truth of it all because we're really into it. The casual viewer needs the bullshit to keep interest. It's the price we pay to have the show at all.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 30, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Joe's strategy is Win challenges. That's all he's got.

Yeah now he gets to avoid pissing off people so he can just win the extinction challenge and that's pretty much it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

No doubt money is the most important thing but that doesn't mean every single decision is to save money. They could just be taking a shot at this idea to see if it brings in (or retains) more viewers.

Cute. We both know that EoE is to retain viewers in the likely (and now proven) case that their casting-chosen fan favorites get the axe. Survivor loves its veterans. This is not difficult.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 30, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You know you talk down to people a lot, PMach? Just starting and ending that post with condescension.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CODChimera posted:

Yeah now he gets to avoid pissing off people so he can just win the extinction challenge and that's pretty much it.

Maybe. There may be enough anti-returnee people on the jury that he has no chance even if he makes it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zesty posted:

I think extinction island isn't a terrible mechanic for all seasons in the pre-merge. They squeeze more entertainment out of the early boots.

No, but I hear what you're about to say. It does take away from the main cast which I'm also am less fond of.

this is why Top Chef made their Extinction Island equivalent a separate show outside of the main one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've enjoyed Extinction Island mostly because I like that it makes those early boots more of a presence on the season and less forgettable and keeps their stories going longer. We'd barely remember who Reem or Keith were in a normal season but their EoE antics have been fun and memorable.

I also can't bring myself to care about them being on the jury and that being "unearned" or whatever. It seems like that upset a contingent of fans when it was announced but I'm cool with it. I even sort of love the idea that players don't have that pre-jury "yeah you can do whatever you want to them because they won't be on the Jury" cushion.

There's probably a connection between us knowing Reem and Keith better and us knowing Kama so poorly. But Kama also clearly suffered from never going to Tribal and having a very static gameplay focused around Joe as the easy target. So I don't think its all EoE's fault.

I don't know, I like it and I would not be upset if it returned. But I probably wouldn't watch a second show just to watch Reem and Keith.

edit: Also, I like challenges so challenges aren't the problem with the Tebow Manhunt show. Its just a bad idea/execution. The challenges aren't actually interesting. The contestant runs them alone, they're less daunting than American Ninja, and if they fall they get back up and keep going. The athlete chasing them has no character and is far enough behind them that there's no real drama. When they do catch up there's no kind of "confrontation" as they just pass them over. And the structure of being able to tap out early for smaller prize amounts kills a ton of excitement and drama. The pacing of the show was basically 2 or 3 contestants losing out and then the final guy being "victorious" in one quarter of the course and then quitting. It was weird and awkward.

The Rock show was better because it had head-to-head challenges and they were fun. I bailed because I like the challenges but not the American Idol/reality show format where you spend most of the episode just being told why you should care about the contestants. But from a purely challenge thing that was a better setup. But all these shows will fail to follow up Survivor because they all do that American Idol thing and Survivor is different because it has a narrative.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 30, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the bigger, more frustrating thing about not-ninja-warrior is how impossibly the course is stacked against the contestants. I can't say whether the athletes got to try all the obstacles before the show started filming (and who cares, they're beasts anyway), but it follows that they'll just get more and more familiar with them as the show goes on. Between that and the "easy" things they can crush (running, climbing rope) giving them every last opportunity to embarrass the contestant, it's no wonder there's a million bucks on the line. Nobody's ever going to win it.

I don't even mind that the contestants can skip to the end for less money; it's still impossibly difficult. That's why it's not fun to me; there's zero tension.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone DOES win the million. But like its gonna be a thing where they push it to the end of the season as the big victory. Which means you'll watch a season of shows of defeats. Even the "tap out/you get $25K" victories feel more like strategic surrenders than victories. I'm not saying that as some kind of criticism of the contestant's choice, just the dramatic pacing of the show. What are you watching an individual comp for? To see the contestant barely out run a beast on an obstacle course thanks to a big advantage they were given and a properly chosen point to tap out? The end race up the building is reasonably dramatic (if the contestant manages to make the right calls to get there) but that seems like it.

Dumb show, won't be watching, don't expect anything beyond what was already filmed and CBS airs so they don't have to spend money.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Vernacular posted:

You mention the pizza flippantly but those rewards are super important, especially in the dog days of the season. Being out there also takes a pretty heavy psychological toll. They're not out there playing the game they came to play, they're all sitting together in lovely limbo. I don't think its a coincidence that one of the fresher evictees was the one to win the challenge and get back into the game.

This is Joe, though. He's basically a Buddhist monk, if anyone is going to be unaffected by the psychological stuff it's him. He'll just start braiding crowns for people out of the grasses and making paint with berries and building a tree house and poo poo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don’t care much about Joe but I remain forever sad we’ll never have Joe and Coach on the same tribe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SteveVizsla posted:

This is Joe, though. He's basically a Buddhist monk, if anyone is going to be unaffected by the psychological stuff it's him. He'll just start braiding crowns for people out of the grasses and making paint with berries and building a tree house and poo poo.

He is a human being. He can be killed. In the sense of things will wear on him. I think it's the best plan to start his suffering early to maximize it and pack extinction island later with people who can potentially beat him.

Do we know for a fact extinction island is only bringing one person back in at the end or are there a few checkpoints between now and the end?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Noticed something weird, in Genx v Millenial they picked buffs at random, but somehow all picked their correct group

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

He is a human being. He can be killed. In the sense of things will wear on him. I think it's the best plan to start his suffering early to maximize it and pack extinction island later with people who can potentially beat him.

Do we know for a fact extinction island is only bringing one person back in at the end or are there a few checkpoints between now and the end?

There's only one more bring back, at which point everyone left goes straight to Ponderosa.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Elphiem posted:

Noticed something weird, in Genx v Millenial they picked buffs at random, but somehow all picked their correct group

Found the episode. The buff packages had their names on them. You can see the names and Jeff explicitly says "Take your name"

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
There's an interview with Rick today where he basically says what happened on TV was accurate:

quote:

After your return, in no time at all, Wentworth set her sights on you — a surprising development given the closeness of the Lesu Five, as seen in your fateful Tribal Council. Can you help us understand what's happening here, as best as you're able?

I loved Lesu. I went to Joe and pitched a Lesu plus Joe and Aurora alliance. David did too. Then Julie came to me and said Wentworth and Lauren wanted to send me right back to the Edge. I was shocked. I couldn't believe they'd do that to me on a personal level, and it made no sense to me on a game level. I thought they'd be overjoyed to have me back. I told David; he was just as confused. As weird as it was to hear, it's important to note that I also never doubted Julie, Ron and Eric were telling me the truth. Lesu had been less than welcoming. I was told by Kama folks that Wardog did not want to do it. Wardog and I were good friends and he was pushing for David to go, but was overruled.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-edge-extinction-rick-devens-merge-vote-kelley-wentworth-betrayal-more-1198423

Kelley says she has more to say when she's allowed to in the postseason, and took umbrage with the spliced up editing of her confessionals from last ep:

https://twitter.com/kelleywentworth/status/1111816500376068096
https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/b82uqf/excerpt_from_devenss_recent_interview_there/ejw4ylf/

'Why couldn't Manu + Joe + Aurora band together at the merge', hopefully get a clear answer someday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really did think the way Manu all were like "Woah... that's hosed up" so definitively combined with David and Rick's kind of shock at being told felt like confirmation to me. Its why I didn't care much that the quotes appear to be spliced up. All the actions back up the narrative and don't seem to make sense any other way.

Like my best guess is it happened how we saw but Lauren and Kelley's motivations were so inexplicable that the editors just spliced up some stuff to try and create some kind of narrative that wasn't "What? Why're they doing that?"

Unless Wentworth has a secret story about how David/Devins were scheming behind her back, I think the rest is just academic. The best defense/theory I can come up with is Devins says he was trying to open connections with Kama so maybe Wentworth and Lauren got paranoid and decided they couldn't trust him and preferred to gamble on their idols.

But who the hell knows?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I mean, Rick and David did in fact spend the entire pre-merge unsuccessfully cooking up Wile E. Coyote schemes to get rid of her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spergatory posted:

I mean, Rick and David did in fact spend the entire pre-merge unsuccessfully cooking up Wile E. Coyote schemes to get rid of her.

While somewhat true they seemed to abandon that around about the Chris thing and they all seemed more or less at peace once the tribes split to three. Maybe Wentworth knew they were scheming against her before then but we got no real indication of that or that it was continuing.

I mean, paranoia could simplify that to "they said my name". But I don't think that makes her post merge actions any smarter.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Occam's razor tells us that Kelley Wentworth is actually just not a top tier Survivor player.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really do sort of think she's just playing for another big idol moment now that she has one.

Like, not even saying she doesn't care about winning. Just that she thinks she can idol shock and awe her way to a win or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

...Okay at first I was kinda bummed that Rick made it back instead of Chris or Aubry but he just won me over.

(It's a joke on how Joe is always compared to Malcolm)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
That's hilarious. Rick Devens has owned all season and I'm glad he made it back.

Wasn't there some off-broadcast moment during day 1 introductions when, after Wardog introduced himself, Rick said something to the effect of "well, this is awkward, but my name is also The Wardog"?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/roundhoward/status/1098388785610608641

I don't know how they cut such gold.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why can't they at least make longer episodes for online? drat you live TV

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Watching the deleted confessionals online and Malcolm is 100% correct. I think I've complained before about how much I hate that this season is basically revolving around the returnees but the online-only confessionals really drive it home. There's a lot of great personality that we just don't get to see because JOE WENTWORTH AUBRY DAVID EXTINCTION ISLAND

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I feel like the last few seasons they have been a lot better at not having invisible people at the merge, but this season is definitely a regression. Stop bringing back lovely returnees please. Unless it’s Penner or Sugar, they are alright. With Randy doing voiceover commentary.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why is everyone assuming everyone on the "Jury'" currently will be on the FTC jury? You can't have 17 people on a jury - I assumed that EoE players were allowed to be part of the jury for now because there is the possibility that they *could* end up on the FTC jury if they make it back in and are subsequently voted out and it's unfair to have them not have the view of the game that other jury members would have.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Why is everyone assuming everyone on the "Jury'" currently will be on the FTC jury? You can't have 17 people on a jury - I assumed that EoE players were allowed to be part of the jury for now because there is the possibility that they *could* end up on the FTC jury if they make it back in and are subsequently voted out and it's unfair to have them not have the view of the game that other jury members would have.

When Joe got voted out Jeff called him the 4th member of the jury; to me, that implies the people are on the actual jury and not just getting to see tribal.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hm yeah that's true enough, and I guess if my comment was accurate they would have considered something similar for redemption island, etc. FTC is gonna be a cluster if that's true jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Big Taint posted:

Unless it’s Penner or Sugar, they are alright.

:chloe: