Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i want to know the don quixote bug's deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just started this game. I don't think I'm great at it, I constantly take hits and have to recover back using soul points. Somehow managed to kill False Knight on the first go and Hornet on the second, I had a bit of practice fighting other large elite enemies in those zones which gave me an appreciation for performing short hops, slashes, and then immediately changing direction mid-air.

But then I got to Fog Canyon, and I found myself getting demolished by those jellyfish with homing missiles. Am I meant to avoid them and just run away screaming? I accidentally dropped straight past into the Fungal wastes, I think I'll settle there for a while. I lost about 1000 geo as well, which sucked.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Just before you leave Fog Canyon there's a room with a bank that can help you store Geo if you're worried about losing more

Otherwise, yeah don't worry you'll be back in Fog Canyon later on

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 23, 2019

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I just want to complain that it's completely ridiculous that you can't practice bosses as they appear in the Pantheon of Hallownest. The longest, hardest Pantheon, the one you would most want to be able to practice for, is the only one where you can't freely fight all of the bosses in it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Phobophilia posted:

I just started this game. I don't think I'm great at it, I constantly take hits and have to recover back using soul points. Somehow managed to kill False Knight on the first go and Hornet on the second, I had a bit of practice fighting other large elite enemies in those zones which gave me an appreciation for performing short hops, slashes, and then immediately changing direction mid-air.

But then I got to Fog Canyon, and I found myself getting demolished by those jellyfish with homing missiles. Am I meant to avoid them and just run away screaming? I accidentally dropped straight past into the Fungal wastes, I think I'll settle there for a while. I lost about 1000 geo as well, which sucked.

I strongly recommend avoiding the big ones. They're very dangerous and take off two health, not just one. The only safe way to kill them is to find a way to put a ledge or something in between you and them so they explode harmlessly far away from you. The little ones are easily killed and provide a good source of Soul to recoup health if you get nailed by one of the big jellies, or if you slip up and fall on a small one. Generally if the path on one side has a big jellyfish the other side will have a small one so you never have to hit a big one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phobophilia posted:

The fact that you got Hornet on the second try means you're pretty good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm awful at other platformers and I constantly die in stupid ways, maybe it was a fluke. Or maybe I just like how much air control Hollow Knight gives you.

On the other hand I could not deal with that ambush with the two armadillos, my eyes couldn't track the mini armadillos charging you as well as the orange goo projectiles arcing onto you. That fight was a nightmare, I managed to kamikaze one of them, recover my corpse spirit. The subsequent fight was a grueling hell as my health and soul would ping pong up and down as I managed to get hits in on the mini armadillos, retreat into the other corridor, and occasionally have the soul budget to shoot a laser blast.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hold out till you get some more movement abilities, most players say it takes about 5-6 hours before the game clicks. Also don’t be afraid to use the downstrike to bounce off enemies and bosses to avoid damage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel like the game has already clicked, though I've only got the horizontal dash. And I've been weaving in downstrikes every chance I get (even if a third of the time I try it I end up taking damage).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Darox posted:

I just want to complain that it's completely ridiculous that you can't practice bosses as they appear in the Pantheon of Hallownest. The longest, hardest Pantheon, the one you would most want to be able to practice for, is the only one where you can't freely fight all of the bosses in it.

If you manage to make it to the last boss, then you can.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

I'm awful at other platformers and I constantly die in stupid ways, maybe it was a fluke. Or maybe I just like how much air control Hollow Knight gives you.

On the other hand I could not deal with that ambush with the two armadillos, my eyes couldn't track the mini armadillos charging you as well as the orange goo projectiles arcing onto you. That fight was a nightmare, I managed to kamikaze one of them, recover my corpse spirit. The subsequent fight was a grueling hell as my health and soul would ping pong up and down as I managed to get hits in on the mini armadillos, retreat into the other corridor, and occasionally have the soul budget to shoot a laser blast.

A useful trick for that fight is to stand next one of the armadillos. This makes it huddle up, and that way you only need to pay attention to one at a time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Nostalgamus posted:

A useful trick for that fight is to stand next one of the armadillos. This makes it huddle up, and that way you only need to pay attention to one at a time.

I figured this out last night on my 2nd play through!

On that subject: I'm playing this game again after putting in 23 hours in the summer and abruptly dropping the game. I think I got close to the en dof the game, but I had no idea where I needed to go or what skills/badges/etc I had. So I started over.

I'm charging through and having a pretty good time again! I found a weird tall, white creature that looked similar to Cousin IT. I did not meet this creature on my first go at this game. She gave me a flower which broke as soon as I took damage.

I also found a new skill upgrade for my plunging down spell. I missed this on my previous save file. I wonder what else I missed despite having confidence I searched everything thoroughly!?

One thing I hated during my first time playing the game was all the time I spent backtracking and backtracking and backtracking to test new skills against dead ends. This time I'm not doing any of that until I have the double jump. Now I just have to remember where to find that...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

If you manage to make it to the last boss, then you can.

You can’t fight any of the bosses with modified attacks/arenas like the Collector or all of the dream warriors in the hall without also having them do double damage, which makes them doubly punishing, harder to learn and forces more dead time with restarts.

It’s especially annoying because the only two bosses that I’ve wanted to practice were the upgraded Collector and Markoth.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Darox posted:

You can’t fight any of the bosses with modified attacks/arenas like the Collector or all of the dream warriors in the hall without also having them do double damage, which makes them doubly punishing, harder to learn and forces more dead time with restarts.

It’s especially annoying because the only two bosses that I’ve wanted to practice were the upgraded Collector and Markoth.

Buddy if you're problem is that you have to fight a boss that's a too hard I have bad news for you about the pantheon of hollownest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Those two ended one of my Steel Soul runs...

Nostalgamus posted:

...which is why I said "GODDAMNIT" when I read this.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm doing a long spikey corridor challenge in green path. It's full of big spikey flies. I died in the middle and now my ghost is at the end of it. Is this final segment possible without double jump?

This placement of the first is total bullshit.

Well after dying enough times because my ghost was effectively making a dead end, the game moved the ghost to a platform mid way through the area. Progress!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 24, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm doing a long spikey corridor challenge in green path. It's full of big spikey flies. I died in the middle and now my ghost is at the end of it. Is this final segment possible without double jump?

This placement of the first is total bullshit.

Well after dying enough times because my ghost was effectively making a dead end, the game moved the ghost to a platform mid way through the area. Progress!

I think so, I think it wants you have the Crystal Dash.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't forget about Confessor Jiji. That's what she's here for.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Progress report: retreating from unbeatable bosses and coming back with some better honed reflexes is a good idea. Brooding Mawlek, Mantis Lords were brick walls, but then I stepped away, explored elsewhere, and managed to down them on my first re-attempt.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, a clear mindset and focusing on basic things are very important.

I beat the Trial of the Fool yesterday. I realised early in my set of re-attempts that I was messing up basic inputs, failing to do down slashes, being overly aggressive and trying to react to things too fast. I slowed down and made a conscious effort to not gently caress up my inputs and that helped a lot more than almost anything else. Well, switching some charms around to equip the Mark of Pride in order to make pogo-ing on enemies easier also helped a ton.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In my current second attempt at the game I have every upgrade I had in my first attempt but I've only fought five bosses. I'm interested to see easy it is to cream bosses with all my upgrades now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, for a game full of insects, the game doesn't induce visceral horror in me. I'm even fine with giant spiders in other games.

But western Deepnest makes me feel nauseous.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Finished this for the first time the other day - 78%, 34 hours.

Going back to try and hit 112% now, and I've lifted my own personal spoiler embargo now that I know the gist of the plot (and I can infer the gist of the 100% ending from what I saw of the standard one I think). So I started watching some sequence breaking and speedruns... and uh :stare: . It took me more hours than the WR any% takes in minutes. Looking forward to playing this a few more times tbh.

Also - Nightmare King is utter bullshit. I thought I was good at the normal fight after a few attempts, but I lasted maybe a few seconds against the second version.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

You know, for a game full of insects, the game doesn't induce visceral horror in me. I'm even fine with giant spiders in other games.

it's the little scuttling that does it for me, it just makes the hairs on the back of my neck tinge.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I think part of why it's so effective is that the game feels pretty open and light (if melancholy) up until then. You are getting more free to love around with the walljump ability, then are thrown into deepnest which traps you in a dark, cramped space. The sound design is also perfect. It engineers tension wonderfully!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

i had a post about this a while back

quote:

the pale king: i shall create a utopia. an egalitarian and enlightened society. a city that will span the centuries unblemished. first, dig a big hole and put all the spiders there

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is it possible to reach the big trapdoor in Fungal Wastes that drops you into Deepnest, without the Lumafly Lantern?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hwurmp posted:

Is it possible to reach the big trapdoor in Fungal Wastes that drops you into Deepnest, without the Lumafly Lantern?

Probably. Speedruns skip the lantern, though they get into Deepnest from the Queen’s Gardens side.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I started my 3rd playthrough last night. I'm not completely lost like I was in my first playthrough, and not using a guide like I did in my second. Just wandering and enjoying the art and music.

The first few bosses are really easy after you've played the game through a few times. And Mantis Lords with no upgrades is a lot of fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i had a post about this a while back

Yeah he had some weird ideas, anyone else would've just applied liberal amounts of fire to the spider population.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Finished this for the first time the other day - 78%, 34 hours.

Going back to try and hit 112% now, and I've lifted my own personal spoiler embargo now that I know the gist of the plot (and I can infer the gist of the 100% ending from what I saw of the standard one I think). So I started watching some sequence breaking and speedruns... and uh :stare: . It took me more hours than the WR any% takes in minutes. Looking forward to playing this a few more times tbh.

Also - Nightmare King is utter bullshit. I thought I was good at the normal fight after a few attempts, but I lasted maybe a few seconds against the second version.

NKG is tough, but it just takes practice. All of his attacks are telegraphed and have repeatable counters. Plus he gives you some time to heal. I really enjoyed that fight, but I also like banging my head against hard encounters.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, Hollow Knight is really cool, but it's not my style of game. I've got an extra Steam key of it, if anyone wants.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Flipswitch posted:

it's the little scuttling that does it for me, it just makes the hairs on the back of my neck tinge.

To me, deepnest is horrifying because it plays around with the Z axis, things just out of focus constantly moving around.

And then monsters would literally move out of the Z axis into the knight's plane to attack me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

Hey folks, Hollow Knight is really cool, but it's not my style of game. I've got an extra Steam key of it, if anyone wants.

play it, coward

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I beat the Pantheon of Hallownest. I updated my game to the latest version and it turns out they nerfed the hell out of the upgraded Collector which makes him a complete joke, and most of the bosses I had trouble doing blind were actually pretty reasonable after a second attempt. Everything up to Vessel/Radiance was easy to reliably clear with strength/quickslash/sharpshadow/pride. Took me a few tries of experimenting with strategies/charm sets for the final two, but once I got the right set (strength/deep focus/unn/soul catcher) I nailed them both first attempt.

The worst boss is still easily Nosk, they took the most boring boss and made it take longer with a more annoying hitbox.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I appreciate this sentiment, I do, but I just don't feel like I'd play it much. I watched videos and it was nice but I'd rather someone who really likes the game give it to someone they know to play it, but if not... The steam thread is my next market 😬

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

TheBigAristotle posted:

I appreciate this sentiment, I do, but I just don't feel like I'd play it much. I watched videos and it was nice but I'd rather someone who really likes the game give it to someone they know to play it, but if not... The steam thread is my next market 😬

PM'd

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I ran through this game the past month or so and got the Dream No More ending and beat the Nightmare King. This was one of the best games I have played in years and I'm really really glad I was able to get through it in time to be excited for the sequel.

Not sure how much of the post-game content I can tackle but I will at least probably finish off the Colosseum and at least try the Path of Pain.

E: NKG was legit one of the best boss fights I feel I've ever tackled. Ball bustingly difficult but had a lot of places where you could get into a rhythm at which point it became a sort of elaborate dance. I think I ended it with full life or close to it because I had finally zeroed in on the phases where I could damage him and managed to heal during the phase transitions just enough. I kind of wish I had kept a save file so I could fight him again.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 8, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I kind of wish I had kept a save file so I could fight him again.

Do Godmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Specifically to get Godseeker mode, I assume? I was mostly just thinking/worried about actually completing the full boss rush which I think is going to be beyond me.