Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no idea what I expected from this trailer but it wasn't this. Not that it's a bad thing, in fact I quite liked it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah what the poo poo, that was supposed to be bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Oh, I was talking about the scene where Yondu gives the pep talk sorry.

My biggest complaint with Guardians 2 is that they used the wrong part of The Chain for that scene.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Why is this such a good trailer, how are they hitting all right marks with such a terrible concept?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I never thought it would be bad, at least after we heard of the people involved. Just didn't expect it to be that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

My biggest complaint with Guardians 2 is that they used the wrong part of The Chain for that scene.

I disagree, the power build up works perfectly with the portion of the song they used. It doesn't hurt that it's one of my all time favorite songs and one of the first concerts I ever attended.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I have no idea what I expected from this trailer but it wasn't this. Not that it's a bad thing, in fact I quite liked it.

Yeah, I watched the trailer with a "fine, lets see how lovely this is going to be" and finished with a "what the gently caress? This might actually be a good movie?" I'm not sold on it, but I appreciate the approach they're going for and hope it works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's "bad' from a comicbook continuity and canon perspective I guess but as a movie it looks good as hell.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, Scorcese's involved and while I didn't see The King of Comedy (which this looks to be highly influenced by), I also get some Taxi Driver vibes of a loner who's pissed off at life in the city and goes nuts.

I just don't know yet how much we're supposed to empathize with the Joker.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's standalone and not involved in the greater DCEU. Plus it fits with the varied Joker origins.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

zoux posted:

It's "bad' from a comicbook continuity and canon perspective I guess but as a movie it looks good as hell.

Yeah, I'm already seeing a few comments of people being not OK with not having a Batman, or how it doesn't seem to connect to anything from the other movies.

Although the funniest comments are the kiddos happy that it's gonna be :spooky:DARK:spooky: like BvS or Deadpool. Can't wait for their disappointment if it's actually more of an artsy thriller than non-stop explosions and violence.

Edit: I'm actually gonna watch it because I'm dead curious, and it seems to be - if the trailer isn't lying hard to the audience- my kind of movie.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2019

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

I think the key to most good movies based on a comic book is to jettison the bullshit from the comics. The problems are when the fanbois try to hard to tie everything back in.

There are exceptions I'm sure (Spiderverse).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, I'm already seeing a few comments of people being not OK with not having a Batman, or how it doesn't seem to connect to anything from the other movies.

Do we know it doesn’t have a Batman? I assumed that’s what “It’s getting crazy out there” was alluding to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Man I knew it was gonna be good from the teaser. I mean I don't know if it's legit good, but it's sure pretty and well acted.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Phylodox posted:

Do we know it doesn’t have a Batman? I assumed that’s what “It’s getting crazy out there” was alluding to.

Bruce Wayne parents are alive and he is a child in this movie (I think he is the kid in the trailer). So technically he is there. I guess people don't like that Batman, the vigilante, won't be a cataclysmic for Joker's origin.

Edit: Although if we get a proto-Batman I'm gonna be ok with it :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

I think the key to most good movies based on a comic book is to jettison the bullshit from the comics. The problems are when the fanbois try to hard to tie everything back in.

There are exceptions I'm sure (Spiderverse).

Oh I'm fer it as hell I just think you're gonna see complaints about nailing down a Joker origin, making him Buster Bluth, making him too old and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't really matter to the quality of the movie. The Gamers Rise Up crew isn't going to be happy about the soyboying of their poster child.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lurdiak posted:

Man I knew it was gonna be good from the teaser. I mean I don't know if it's legit good, but it's sure pretty and well acted.
Actually, now that I think about it more, I dunno if I really need to see the movie. The trailer is almost like a short film already. It told the entire story from start to finish.

I know that's the case with a lot of trailers, but it feels like this could have been a really amazing short fan-film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like the idea that to get a good Joker on screen you have to delete Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

It’s an already demonstrably untrue idea, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I mean the Joker on screen with the least amount of Batman was Jared Leto. Others with lots of Batman include Heath Ledger and Caesar Romero. So you're very very wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd like to see the Joker just randomly decide one day "I'm an Aquaman villain now, I'm going to do ocean crimes"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Eh, doesn't look too bad i guess

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

It inexplicably has Man-Bat instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'd like to see the Joker just randomly decide one day "I'm an Aquaman villain now, I'm going to do ocean crimes"

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/1113435799188430848

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I mean the Joker on screen with the least amount of Batman was Jared Leto. Others with lots of Batman include Heath Ledger and Caesar Romero. So you're very very wrong.

I don't think what I wanted came through with that first post. I mean the idea of the Joker hasn't really worked for me in previous films. This looks to remove Batman from the equation (unless he's actually in this film) entirely and could be the answer to what I want out of a film Joker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it my initial post was going to be Cyborg and cyber crimes and I changed my mind

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don't think what I wanted came through with that first post. I mean the idea of the Joker hasn't really worked for me in previous films. This looks to remove Batman from the equation (unless he's actually in this film) entirely and could be the answer to what I want out of a film Joker.

I guess in that respect I'm lucky in that I don't like the Joker at all and the only times I do is if someone playing him makes him compelling in some way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Joker’s mom’s name in Joker is Penny. Batman’s got a giant penny in the Batcave. Just saying...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The Clownfish Of Crime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phylodox posted:

Joker’s mom’s name in Joker is Penny. Batman’s got a giant penny in the Batcave. Just saying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

site posted:

Yondus he may have been your father boy but he wasn't your daddy is pretty top tier imo

What are some other good ones

The most heartwarming and iconic MCU moment is clearly at the end of Ragnarok whenThor unleashes Surtur and Hulk immediately attacks him. Thor shouts at Hulk to stop and Hulk, all confused and indignant goes, “Big monster!?”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I am very curious about this. There's often a hint of pathos and tragedy to the Joker, which is something that Heath Ledger especially brought out in his performance with those tortured eyes of his. However, even in those takes where the Joker is a tragic figure, there's also no attempt to make his actions any less than monstrous or deranged; in The Dark Knight he tries to murder hundreds of people, and Killing Joke obviously has the infamous shooting scene. He never steps into anti-hero territory, he's always a villain.

In contrast, this take seems to be almost setting him up as a folk hero. That's interesting but I wonder how it will play. After all, despite always being a villain before, plenty of odd souls on the internet have made him a de-facto hero, at least in their own minds, and sort of embraced the Joker's psychopathic nihilism as a philosophy. A film that makes him into a genuine heroic figure, or at least someone who the audience is cued to root for and empathise with, will run a tight-rope I think between condemning and celebrating that sort of edge-lord nihilism that he can represent, and also making him someone to empathises with and even care for but not absolving him of any evil acts.

That said, who knows what kind of take this is gonna be. The folk hero feel might be me just misreading things, and I've yet to see King of Comedy so there may be a context I'm missing. It's a cool trailer and Phoenix looks great, as does the imagery and tone. Mostly I'm just glad that this may spell the end of Jared Leto's take, because to me, that truly was one of the most uninspired and lame versions of the character I've yet seen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't have any faith Joker will be good because the same guy that directed the Hangover movies is directing this.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It looks alright. It'll probably be well-acted. I continue to be confused by just how much Batman-less Gotham media we have.

Gavok posted:

Kraglin's reaction to Yondu's funeral is high up there for me. Also, with Guardians, the scene of the team one-by-one agreeing to die alongside Quill for the greater good while Rocket looks on in confusion.

An extremely low-key (no pun intended) moment, but considering Loki's villain arc comes from his misplaced belief that Odin's love for him was a lie, there's that part in Ragnarok where a dying Odin very bluntly says, "I love you, my sons," and Loki gives this sudden, saddened look.

On the same note in Ragnarok, Hiddleston does a lot of good with Loki's facial expressions. His soft smile when Thor is telling the story of when he transformed into a snake and bit him. His look of subtle shock when Thor says "Loki, I thought the world of you" right before Get Help.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

That's what happens in the Injustice games. One day he decides that he's done loving around with Batman so he heads over to Metropolis to gently caress with Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't have any faith Joker will be good because the same guy that directed the Hangover movies is directing this.

That's not really fair. He also directed Starsky and Hutch.

Seriously though we've seen comedy guys turn into good directors for other genres plenty of times over the years. The Russos? Adam McKay? Jordan Peele?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

That's not really fair. He also directed Starsky and Hutch.

Seriously though we've seen comedy guys turn into good directors for other genres plenty of times over the years. The Russos? Adam McKay? Jordan Peele?

Yeah but they made good comedies. The Hangover 3 is one of the worst and most unpleasant films I've ever seen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

David D. Davidson posted:

That's what happens in the Injustice games. One day he decides that he's done loving around with Batman so he heads over to Metropolis to gently caress with Superman.

Did that in the comics too. Kidnapped Lois, Jimmy, and Perry, and buried them alive in lead coffins. While taunting Superman that he would never be able to find them in time, Superman arrived to apprehend him, telling him that he'd already freed them. Joker was shocked, until Supes pointed out that he just used his x-ray vision, because he can see lead just fine.

X-O posted:

From the looks of IMDB, he's also done a couple of docs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm says here this guy directed some Troma schlock, and Scooby Doo 1 and 2. Don't have high hopes for this one.

Incidentally in the innocent days of the late 90's me and some buddies went to great lengths to find a copy of Tromeo and Juliet because we heard about the puppet penis monster and that sort of thing was still shocking to pre-internet teenagers. It was, ah, not worth it.