Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why the hell can't I buy the comic as an eBook on Amazon? God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why the hell can't I buy the comic as an eBook on Amazon? God drat it.

Dark Horse’s website has an ebook version for sale:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/f414a6a456764612a055cb965c2da198/aliens-labyrinth

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

What is Labyrinth and why do so many people want it?

It's pretty much hands-down the best Alien comic. It's a Jim Woodring joint, with Kilian Plunkett on art, and is basically a story about Xenomorph research going horribly, horribly wrong.

a crucial piece of backstory involves the mad scientist character having been trapped in a xenomorph hive that's been dying from some sort of disease. the xenomorphs present him with his limbless and insane mother and attempt to force him to gently caress her to make new hosts at one point. he mercy-kills her instead and the Queen responds by planting the last chestburster in him... which is stillborn, so he has to do self-surgery to dig the fucker out before it decomposes and gives him blood poisoning.

(don't read the above unless you're on the fence, but if you need to know why people love Labyrinth, it's basically because that might be legit the most :stonk: series of events in the entire franchise. if it sounds pointlessly edgy, you're probably not wrong, but it's effectively edgy.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s hard for me to gush about it without going into spoiler-land, but it goes a long way towards making the Alien dangerous/weird/unpredictable in ways that the franchise hasn’t seen since, like, ‘Alien’.

It also sets up what appear to be a bunch of lovely tropes and cliches, and then subverts all of them, it’s pretty great.

Other highlights:
- it did the “mad scientist gets away with it all” ending before David did it in ‘Alien Covenant (and does it better IMO)
- it did the “self surgery to remove a baby alien” thing before Prometheus did it. I won’t say one is better than the other because they’re handled differently enough that they have their own merits.

Speaking of, the eBay seller has shipped out all of the bulk lots so I should receive them soon.

Edit - also it’s worth mentioning that LORD OF BOOTY’s synopsis is only a small part of the :stonk: that goes on in that bit, not to mention other :stonk: elsewhere in the story.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 1, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I will be the minority report ball to help stave off brutal disappointment and say I found it decent for a 90's comic book expanding on a licensed property with an original story.

It's got some edgy gross-out stuff and some storytelling that felt really rushed and some stuff that's just downright comic-book goofy.

But by the qualified praise of comparing it to a corpus of canon devoted to capitalizing on the rights to make comics of blockbuster properties that includes Aliens Versus Predator Versus Terminator (really, that is a real thing) it's quite good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I still find Batman vs. Predator to be better.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Darko posted:

I still find Batman vs. Predator to be better.

Doesn't that end with Alfred saving Batman from a brutal owning and becoming a trophy in a Batcave beatdown by getting the drop on the predator with a blunderbus? I seem to recall being amused by that bit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm not super big on Labyrinth because:

1) I didn't think enough really happened and some of the writing is pretty overwrought. Why didn't someone weaponize that killer mold against the aliens? What was their 'medicine' glop with the worms? What about the whole 'control them with telepathy' thing beyond one short scene at the very end? They introduce these concepts and don't do a whole lot with them. Making the story longer and increasing the scope would have helped. As it stands it's a bit of standard company duplicity/treachery/cover-up, a bit of body horror, and one brief chase scene.
2) The artwork is fairly nice overall but the line work often gets very heavy-handed and messy. Some of the angles are also a bit extreme and the artist can't quite pull it off. Also for some reason he loves drawing people with their mouths open with visible tongues which really stands out when you notice it.

I like the 80's Aliens: Book One better because the story is a lot bigger with, uh, slightly bigger consequences (heh), I think the b&w artwork is overall cooler, and (most importantly) I have nostalgia for it from when I was a kid and only read parts 1, 2, and 6. Visiting the alien "home world" (part of what I missed back in the day) wasn't exactly as impossibly cool as what I had imagined it to be, but overall I think it's pretty good. It has been a few years since I read it last so maybe I'm glossing over some of the faults.

For anybody interested in that one, stay far far away from the hideous colored version and seek out the black'n'white original:

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

I'm not super big on Labyrinth because:

1) I didn't think enough really happened and some of the writing is pretty overwrought. Why didn't someone weaponize that killer mold against the aliens? What was their 'medicine' glop with the worms? What about the whole 'control them with telepathy' thing beyond one short scene at the very end? They introduce these concepts and don't do a whole lot with them. Making the story longer and increasing the scope would have helped. As it stands it's a bit of standard company duplicity/treachery/cover-up, a bit of body horror, and one brief chase scene.
The way I saw it the mold couldn’t be weaponized because the people who rescued Church torched the hive without knowing it was important, I think Church even points that out. If I remember right the worm soup made those survivors bloat up, and the Aliens used them like cattle to feed other survivors. My takeaway from the telepathy thing was that it was some token “explain away” stuff, but it wasn’t exactly useful knowledge because it only works if the human is amped up on drugs and if the Aliens are weakened, and even then it only startled the Alien for a moment.
That said, I’d have been okay with some of that stuff not being explained at all - I feel the Alien (as a creature and as a franchise) benefits from some scary, unexplainable weirdness. See also: the Black Goo.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it, and I’m hoping that mailing out copies to interested people will be a low-impact way for people who aren’t familiar with it to check it out and form their own opinions on it. :)

As for the original Aliens comic series in black and white, they reprinted it a couple years ago:
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506700780/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cEOOCb1MHA5Z6

Another real solid read is the comic adaptation of ‘Alien’, that got a reprint as well:
Alien: The Illustrated Story https://www.amazon.com/dp/1781161291/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5QOOCbBPCRYNJ

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I always enjoyed Stronghold as a comic. I really liked how a lot of the focus was on how routine the Alien had become which kind of mirrors how unsurprising we find the creatures now. The company was just running hives essentially as farms. The iteration on synthetics was interesting to me with Jeri and Dean. Ultimately the villain being corruption felt relatively mundane but the setting and the inclusion of xenomorphs made it more interesting

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm not reading all these black bars because I've never read Labyrinth and it sounds dope.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Doesn't that end with Alfred saving Batman from a brutal owning and becoming a trophy in a Batcave beatdown by getting the drop on the predator with a blunderbus? I seem to recall being amused by that bit.

That's not the finale, but it does happen. It mostly ends with Batman beating the Predator with a bat and the Predator laughing about it. The comic was just basically Predator 2 in Gotham.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone else read the giant cross over comic run they did a while ago? I think there were two series and they eventually linked to each other. I liked how they basically went "yeah the black goo is magic, lets see what happens when you inject it into an android. "

Are they going to follow it up or did Dan Abnett finally submit to that sweet Games Workshop money to finish his books with them?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My wife gave birth to our baby girl yesterday. Ripley was born healthy and ready burn some xenos

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

My wife gave birth to our baby girl yesterday. Ripley was born healthy and ready burn some xenos
Congrats!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

Did your daughter burst out of your wife’s chest?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Xenomrph posted:

Who doesn't?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MacheteZombie posted:

Congrats!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Do u count csection? Lol

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MacheteZombie posted:

Do u count csection? Lol

Ah, did it Prometheus style.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Ah, did it Prometheus style.

Video from the surgery

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao, yes!

congrats on the perfectly named kid Machete!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MacheteZombie posted:

Anyways, congratulations. Time goes fast, enjoy it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyways, congratulations. Time goes fast, enjoy it.

Thanks!

Exciting and terrifying times.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Do u count csection? Lol

Macbeth is double screwed. Congrats!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Congrats!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Congrats. Hope you get her a cat named Jonesy someday.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

congrats!!!! thread vibes at all time high

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azubah posted:

Are they going to follow it up or did Dan Abnett finally submit to that sweet Games Workshop money to finish his books with them?

Yes. yes he did. A new Eisenhorn novel (Magus) and two Gaunt's Ghosts books (Warmaster and The Anarch).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks all!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Congrats. Hope you get her a cat named Jonesy someday.

Wife doesnt know it yet, but it's totally happening.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Timby posted:

What is Labyrinth and why do so many people want it?

It's pretty good. And I never read comics.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Yay. I have the day off work. So I'm going to do an Alien marathon. My neighbours can suck it. This is why I bought all my nice home theater poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yay. I have the day off work. So I'm going to do an Alien marathon. My neighbours can suck it. This is why I bought all my nice home theater poo poo.
I’m not one to dissuade people from marathoning Alien movies, but remember that Alien Day is on April 26th.

I know that’s the same day Avengers Endgame comes out, but we must all remember our priorities. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not one to dissuade people from marathoning Alien movies, but remember that Alien Day is on April 26th.

I know that’s the same day Avengers Endgame comes out, but we must all remember our priorities. :colbert:

All other priorities rescinded.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My challenge will be to exercise will power and not watch the new Alien UHD right away on the 23rd. I'll be honest, I probably won't make it to the 26th.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

My challenge will be to exercise will power and not watch the new Alien UHD right away on the 23rd. I'll be honest, I probably won't make it to the 26th.

I won’t lie to you about your chances.... but you have my sympathies. :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I won’t lie to you about your chances.... but you have my sympathies. :)

I'll probably justify it to myself as like the beginning of a four day marathon culminating on the 26th, but deep down I know that's bullshit because the real main event is that shiny new UHD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just watch Alien 2: On Earth while waiting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm working on Alien Day. S'okay tho. I'll just watch 'em all next week or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I'm working on Alien Day. S'okay tho. I'll just watch 'em all next week or something.

Are you working 24 hours or something? To quote Ron Perlman in Alien Resurrection, sleep when you’re dead.