Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I would love some one to localize Sherlock Holmes' name into an AA-style pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A mister Phishen Chipps

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Most of the game takes place in England so you still could.

How do the original names work? Do the English characters have English names which sound like Japanese words? English names that sound like English words? Japanese names that sound like Japanese words? Or English names that just sound like English names because it's too hard to make cross-language puns work?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

I would love some one to localize Sherlock Holmes' name into an AA-style pun.

Elmo N. Terry

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maury Artie

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sebastian Percent.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 31, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

That's not the one that was done by the group that did the godawful Fire Emblem Fates fan translation, is it? The people who said they weren't going to localize any of the names.
Well I dunno if it is but it's absolutely the only one you're going to get, so it's this or nothing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Installing a translation patch as a game update is really smart, props to that idea. Though I do wonder why that was easier than leveraging luma's file system redirection?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

Well I dunno if it is but it's absolutely the only one you're going to get, so it's this or nothing.

An Ace Attorney without the goofy pun names isn't an Ace Attorney. :colbert: If it's between that and not playing it at all, I'll take the latter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Japanese author Natsume Soseki appears in the game and he has a cat named Wagahai, which is a reference to his famous novel Wagahaiwqa Neko de Aru and that's cute

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Been craving some new Ace Attorney to play through real bad so as long as it's at it's not complete garbage I'll play through it happily.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I need to solve murders

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Two cases in. It's very good so far.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zerilan posted:

Two cases in. It's very good so far.

Oh hell yes it is, though having played through 4 cases myself, it's very apparent that it's meant to be the first part of a series of games.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I think it's good and while the translation isn't as charming as the AAI2 fan translation, it's still good and I'm glad it's here, and am looking forward to DGS2 being translated!

...Although, it's REALLY disconcerting seeing the term "Jap" thrown around as much as it is. I looked on wikipedia and apparently it wasn't considered a slur in the game's setting, but, yeesh all the same.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think it's good and while the translation isn't as charming as the AAI2 fan translation, it's still good and I'm glad it's here, and am looking forward to DGS2 being translated!

...Although, it's REALLY disconcerting seeing the term "Jap" thrown around as much as it is. I looked on wikipedia and apparently it wasn't considered a slur in the game's setting, but, yeesh all the same.

Much of the two games' plot revolves around racism against Japanese (and Asians in general), so that's not inappropriate.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The SoJ DLC case suffers from the same issue as the rest of the game, where due to the fact that no single trial lasts more than one day what with the single day case 2 and cases 3 and 5 being two different trials in one episode, there are really only ever three characters in a case at a time: the defendant, the witness what didn't do it, and the witness what did do it. And yes, AA has always been more concerned with the howdunit than the whodunit, but it's still nice to have a bit of doubt.

I think every 3ds era AA game kinda suffers from this. Cases don't really feel as long as they do in the original trilogy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've said this before, but i have no doubt it's because of the increased resource cost for making 3d models. They can't just draw exactly two sprites for Penny Nichols and have little side character anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who's the series best side character who isn't really involved in the crime, and why is it Viola Cadaverini

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I've said this before, but i have no doubt it's because of the increased resource cost for making 3d models. They can't just draw exactly two sprites for Penny Nichols and have little side character anymore.

Yeah. I miss having long 3 day cases though. Would gladly give up the better 3d art for that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

orenronen posted:

Much of the two games' plot revolves around racism against Japanese (and Asians in general), so that's not inappropriate.

In that case I hope the ending of the third game is westerners learning not to be racist and helping them build Japanese villages out west in California, then Ryuunosuke moves there and adopts the name Wright.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's partly just a change of storytelling. You now get most of the information you need to solve each case up front, with new stuff mostly being added by testimonies or new evidence unless an entirely new location is brought into play. Wheras in the old games you'd typically not even see the culprit until day 2, and miss out on a lot of evidence during your first investigation for some reason. I'd question whether, for example, case 2-3 really benefited from being a multi-day trial. The additional information could've just been added in-court.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 3, 2019

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zerilan posted:

Yeah. I miss having long 3 day cases though. Would gladly give up the better 3d art for that.

I really don't. Those 3-day cases were just grueling. I would take more side characters though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
They never did three day cases after the first game. Even they realized it was a bit much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Plom Bar posted:

They never did three day cases after the first game. Even they realized it was a bit much.

I haven't played JfA in forever so I can't speak to it, but there are definitely three-day cases in Trials and Tribulations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I haven't played JfA in forever so I can't speak to it, but there are definitely three-day cases in Trials and Tribulations.

There are not.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah there aren't. but i always forget 1-3 is a 3 day case because that's just ridiculous

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, I forgot that the first investigations in 3-2, 3-3, and 3-5 are technically the "third" day, I guess?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nope, just looked it up and there's only two days of investigations, too. Weird that I misremembered that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The only 3-day case we've gotten past Ace Attorney 1 is Rise from the Ashes, which is a weird thing to say because that's the fifth case of AA1 DS but it was written after the original trilogy so whatever, and that case was loooooooooooooong thanks to each of its days being as dense as the later games in the original trilogy. It's a good case, but I am very ok with sticking to 2-day cases because dense 3-day cases are so exhausting.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I actually really enjoyed SoJ's format of having all trials last a day but having a few cases consist of multiple trials. I think it'd get annoying if all the future games were like that, but there are some cases in the older games where I realized I was going to have to investigate for yet another day and it got so exhausting

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

I actually really enjoyed SoJ's format of having all trials last a day but having a few cases consist of multiple trials. I think it'd get annoying if all the future games were like that, but there are some cases in the older games where I realized I was going to have to investigate for yet another day and it got so exhausting

Same here. For me, having a really meaty one day investigation and trial feels better than an equal amount of content but spread over a few days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I did like it, but I wouldn't want it to become the new normal. Maybe even just a mix between single spread out trials and the smaller ones.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah admittedly 3 days were probably a bit much, but I'd like to see some more 2 day ones. Considering how often the game tends to run on the premise of "this event happened like a day ago but we already have a suspect we are putting into an immediate trial," the idea of "ok poo poo maybe we need to go back and re-investigate this poo poo" makes sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How about the one case where there had been a conviction a full month prior, yet when reinvestigating, the locations involved were in the same state as they were the day of the crime?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loved Rise from the Ashes but the lunch lady's testimony is the hardest witness in the entire series and for all the wrong reasons.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I loved Rise from the Ashes but the lunch lady's testimony is the hardest witness in the entire series and for all the wrong reasons.

Probably my second least favorite testimony in the series, aside from that loving clown that got you penalties for just pressing the wrong statement.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that 'distance to the scene of the crime' question got me real good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zerilan posted:

Probably my second least favorite testimony in the series, aside from that loving clown that got you penalties for just pressing the wrong statement.

tbh i didn't mind those, anything to break up the general "press every statement forever" rhythm is fine. it was pretty clear that you had to avoid pressing irrelevant statements anyway

the lunch lady in Rise from the Ashes is like every complaint about mystery VNs where you notice a bunch of contradictions but can only point them out when the game feels like letting you point them out rolled into one awful testimony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also the entire line of questioning turns out to be a waste of time and it's largely copied over from 3-5.