Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how do you fit a child into one of those seats

or a person with mobility issues

Obviously you just have to buy Cattle Class Plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Cargo hold. In crates.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you just follow the status quo of make them as much of an inconvenience for other passengers that they are passive aggressively bullied into just not flying anymore

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I think that's outright first class, business class that I've seen (while walking through it to get to economy of course) looks more like this:

Enjoy your own luxury Business Pod for doing Sky Business

My recent experience of business class (yes I realise this is adding my name to the guillotine list) is that it's now kinda half way between. You get your slightly cramped pod for doing sky business, but it can convert into a lie-flat bed (albeit a narrow one that was about an inch too short for me to fully stretch out). Seats that are sit up only but with lots of leg room and space to recline your seat are now "premium economy" and get priced somewhere between the already expensive economy class and the "Jesus these seats are twice the entire budget for my holiday" business class.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
^ the luxuriousness of business class depends on the airline and plane, it can vary a lot

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah in other words cramming as many passengers in as is possible with a three-class layout, by creating a cattle class.
they use euphemisms to avoid people recognizing the class stratification in airplanes

third class
cattle class
economy class

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you see, it's economy class because its economical! people are there because they want to be smart with their dollar! its not because of socioeconomic classes at all, no sir

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Can't wait to have my seat cram my nads back up into my abdomen during mild turbulence

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
If that's the future of economy, I just won't fly. I can't imagine that would go over well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how do you fit a child into one of those seats

or a person with mobility issues

very carefully

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I assume business class pods come with built in guillotines

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I think that's outright first class, business class that I've seen (while walking through it to get to economy of course) looks more like this:

Stewardess, I need these seats for my very important work- people are depending on me!

Sorry, who is depending on you?

... Shareholders :smith:

CountFosco posted:

If that's the future of economy, I just won't fly. I can't imagine that would go over well.

Yeah same, I may just say to hell with flying anyway

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Haha I'm 6'6" there is no way in hell I would come closer to fitting in that seat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't flown in 5 years, but I've never seen any of those pods in the wild. I have seen them though, I did design the wiring for the entertainment and control systems for a few airlines, none of them were domestic.

Domestic airlines at the time were content cramming everyone into tiny embriars with the worst seats possible.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Guess you don't get to fly :capitalism:

This is the real answer.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

I assume business class pods come with built in guillotines

They didn't purchase the safety package for their flight woops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't flown in 5 years, but I've never seen any of those pods in the wild. I have seen them though, I did design the wiring for the entertainment and control systems for a few airlines, none of them were domestic.

Domestic airlines at the time were content cramming everyone into tiny embriars with the worst seats possible.

they’re pretty much never used for domestic flights. it’s all international

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Good, people shouldn't be flying anyway. There's not much that is worse for the planet than flying.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i have to travel a bit for business. my boss and his boss have to fly business class, as do i. We have to pay for our own airfare with our own cards and hope the company pays us back. anything not listed "economy" is denied. i have no idea who is actually flying in business class.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

Good, people shouldn't be flying anyway. There's not much that is worse for the planet than flying.

international shipping

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I've flown in business class a couple times using credit card miles (once each on Austrian, Air Canada, and Delta). Often these planes do not have a separate first class. All I can say is I can't wait to do that poo poo again. on Austrian we literally had our own chef on the plane and you could order anything on the menu

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Ya I feel like more people need this spelled out for them:

Per passenger, flying releases about 180kg of CO2 per hour.

To put that into context, the average car releases 10-15kgs of CO2 per hour.

In other words, a single long-haul round trip puts out the equivalent of 4-5 years worth of commuting to work in your car every day.

(assuming a 16hr round trip flight and the US average of 1hr commuting every day)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bike tory posted:

Ya I feel like more people need this spelled out for them:

Per passenger, flying releases about 180kg of CO2 per hour.

To put that into context, the average car releases 10-15kgs of CO2 per hour.

In other words, a single long-haul round trip puts out the equivalent of 4-5 years worth of commuting to work in your car every day.

(assuming a 16hr round trip flight and the US average of 1hr commuting every day)

that math makes no sense

a 16 hour flight would release 2880 kg.

2880/15 is 192 hours of driving, so 192 days in your case.

How the hell does this equate to 4-5 years?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Per hour isn't a good metric anyway, it should be per mile. If you drive your car the same distance as flying you'll put out more CO2.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Man I would kill for a decent passenger train infrastructure. Please, I don't care if it takes five extra hours or whatever, let me get up and move around, look at the landscape before it goes to ecological hell, be somewhat comfortable.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

that math makes no sense

a 16 hour flight would release 2880 kg.

2880/15 is 192 hours of driving, so 192 days in your case.

How the hell does this equate to 4-5 years?

Ah you're right, it's only about a year of commuting, my bad.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Man I would kill for a decent passenger train infrastructure. Please, I don't care if it takes five extra hours or whatever, let me get up and move around, look at the landscape before it goes to ecological hell, be somewhat comfortable.

It's pretty sad how run-down even the Acela service is in the US. And Amtrak is, for some reason, aping terrible plane designs (like having overhead bins on the Acela).

Lambert has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Apr 3, 2019

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
there is no business on the planet important enough to make it worth doing on a flight. anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool pretending they're actually getting anything done in that cramped noisy pit

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Shipon posted:

there is no business on the planet important enough to make it worth doing on a flight. anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool pretending they're actually getting anything done in that cramped noisy pit

My job is to rate toilets on different airlines, I'll thank you to reconsider your argument.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I tried to get a train from St. Louis to Pittsburgh but the estimated travel time was 24 hours.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bike tory posted:

Ah you're right, it's only about a year of commuting, my bad.

:wtc:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I took a train from Chicago to Seattle once. It took 2 days but it was really beautiful and I agree with whoever said we should travel by train more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sanguinary Novel posted:

First off, there is no sustainable infrastructure that would allow people to casually move around the whole continent (across the US or across the EU) on a whim, for no serious reasons. Trains can replace air traffic for some marginal cases, but there is no way to replace the current system of people constantly being on the move and commuting across states. If we are serious about preserving the environment, we need to recognize that such a lifestyle is not possible, and the people who would be affected by such a reflection are never going to accept that because FYGM. This is going to be particularly painful in the US, where families, businesses etc are divided by thousands of miles, yet expect to keep physically in touch, because it's a hell country built on wildly unreasonable assumptions of how people should behave.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Apr 3, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
normal people don't expect travel to be easy. its only the very rich and their servants who are expected to do that. i have cousins in chicago and nobody makes plans to see them because its expensive as hell

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yet air travel is booming, and something the general populace expects to use with some regularity...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bring back zeppelins.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

air travel is going to grow hugely. assuming we have an earth, China plans to double the number of airports in the next 20 years, Latin American air travel should double, and airbus has opened a training center to help get some of the 200k new pilots they say they'll need.

air travel is so hugely terrible for the environment but those planes are flying with or without my rear end in the seat, so i dont beat myself up too badly for flying occasionally so i can keep my job.

but truthfully, theres nothing i do on location that I couldn't accomplish with a video feed. also, at the office. i should be working from home

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

air travel is going to grow hugely. assuming we have an earth, China plans to double the number of airports in the next 20 years, Latin American air travel should double, and airbus has opened a training center to help get some of the 200k new pilots they say they'll need.

air travel is so hugely terrible for the environment but those planes are flying with or without my rear end in the seat, so i dont beat myself up too badly for flying occasionally so i can keep my job.

but truthfully, theres nothing i do on location that I couldn't accomplish with a video feed. also, at the office. i should be working from home

A lot of us could work from home, but then how would your boss know when you've gotten all of your work done such that they can pile more on you without paying for it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

steinrokkan posted:

First off, there is no sustainable infrastructure that would allow people to casually move around the whole continent (across the US or across the EU) on a whim, for no serious reasons. Trains can replace air traffic for some marginal cases, but there is no way to replace the current system of people constantly being on the move and commuting across states. If we are serious about preserving the environment, we need to recognize that such a lifestyle is not possible, and the people who would be affected by such a reflection are never going to accept that because FYGM. This is going to be particularly painful in the US, where families, businesses etc are divided by thousands of miles, yet expect to keep physically in touch, because it's a hell country built on wildly unreasonable assumptions of how people should behave.

nah it's a completely worthwhile goal to replace regional travel with high speed rail

right now you'll spend 2-3 hours in the air traveling nyc to chicago, plus airport security time, while a hypothetical high speed rail line could make that in 4-5

obviously miami to los angeles isn't going to be feasible for this, but a huge amount of travel is regional and this demand is actually what's pushing our existing air infrastructure to capacity, right now, which is why high speed rail is even being talked about in the first place by the people who make these decisions

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

A lot of us could work from home, but then how would your boss know when you've gotten all of your work done such that they can pile more on you without paying for it?
my work laptop literally has spyware on it that keeps track of what programs I run, for how long, and how much time is spent not doing anything

it also has keylogger functionality, I learned from experience that the word "dropbox" is trigger word that earns you a phone call (or 2) from a boss (or 2) about why you're trying to use dropbox (the dropbox thing is because they're worried about data leaks)

so yeah... spyware (they don't call it spyware obviously) is required to log on to the VPN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An instagram account called PreachersNSneakers is matching Megachurch pastors to the wildly expensive sneakers they're wearing: