Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There have been some more chapters since the thread was last updated (really good ones). Chapter 311 where Endou talks to himself is amazin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure I know how Kaiji's gonna get out, the only question is how many more chapters it takes. I'm guessing 3

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think (not a real spoiler just speculation) he's already out, but it seems a little easy.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
You know I think you might be right

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OH hey

https://mangadex.org/title/35850/yoroshiku-junjou-daishou

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I think he already got out by pretending to be his old friend that wears the Helmet.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Official confirmation that FKMT hates rich people more than he likes gambling. Respect.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
That bit in Kurosawa where they talk about Che Guevara confirmed a lot of things that I suspected about FKMT for years

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

even in his first ever published work there are blacksuits

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I started reading Kaiji from where the anime left off, and got to the Minefield Mahjong. I know enough about Mahjong to understand the broad strokes of what’s going on (suit names, riichi, ron, etc) but I’m not super familiar with all of the yaku names + han values. Does the mahjong stuff continue for long enough that it’s worth memorizing them?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's an entire arc, so quite a bit.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I started reading Kaiji from where the anime left off, and got to the Minefield Mahjong. I know enough about Mahjong to understand the broad strokes of what’s going on (suit names, riichi, ron, etc) but I’m not super familiar with all of the yaku names + han values. Does the mahjong stuff continue for long enough that it’s worth memorizing them?

How else are you going to read Akagi.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I feel betrayed...

https://twitter.com/denpa_books/status/1115093565661560832

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finished up Kaiji part 3, was pretty rad once I got the swing of the mahjong stuff. The climax was real great and real satisfying. On the other hand, (spoilering just in case) his win felt VERY lucky. Like, moreso than normal. What would have happened if the mahjong table dealt him or Muraoka the rigged tile? Or if Kaiji didn’t get a haku tile, or couldn’t make a mangan hand with one? it was a super clever and satisfying win, but felt a little more contrived than in previous games.

I also like that afterwards, we cut away so Kaiji can read a book, also about gambling.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Finished up Kaiji part 3, was pretty rad once I got the swing of the mahjong stuff. The climax was real great and real satisfying. On the other hand, (spoilering just in case) his win felt VERY lucky. Like, moreso than normal. What would have happened if the mahjong table dealt him or Muraoka the rigged tile? Or if Kaiji didn’t get a haku tile, or couldn’t make a mangan hand with one? it was a super clever and satisfying win, but felt a little more contrived than in previous games.
Both Kaiji and Kazuya both point this out, since he also gets a huge payout bonus from that round.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Can Of Worms posted:

Both Kaiji and Kazuya both point this out, since he also gets a huge payout bonus from that round.

Yeah, I know the huge payout was solely due to luck on the ura dora, but him even winning in the first place felt a little uncharacteristically lucky, since every gamble until now has been won by Kaiji coming up with a solid gameplay and then executing it. Notably the one time until now that he does NOT have a strategy and decides to rely on luck, he loses his loving fingers.

Unless the whole point was that he got lucky, and it'll come into play later (which I can totally understand, considering the situation he's now in with Kazuya), but it just feels surprising for Kaiji to rely on luck so much. Usually his plans are more foolproof.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yeah, I know the huge payout was solely due to luck on the ura dora, but him even winning in the first place felt a little uncharacteristically lucky, since every gamble until now has been won by Kaiji coming up with a solid gameplay and then executing it. Notably the one time until now that he does NOT have a strategy and decides to rely on luck, he loses his loving fingers.

Unless the whole point was that he got lucky, and it'll come into play later (which I can totally understand, considering the situation he's now in with Kazuya), but it just feels surprising for Kaiji to rely on luck so much. Usually his plans are more foolproof.

That's not true. Kaiji decided to outright cheat against Hyoudou, and lost his fingers. He never intended to rely on luck there.

Kaiji went in pure luck against E Card and just figured out how his opponent was cheating to win.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah but when hyoudou saw through his scheme he froze up and just tried to yolo things instead of figuring something out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but when hyoudou saw through his scheme he froze up and just tried to yolo things instead of figuring something out.

He was already screwed at that point. Hyoudou pulled out the winning paper right after letting Kaiji see his plan was ruined.

There was no yoloing things cause he had already lost before that was even a option.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was already screwed at that point. Hyoudou pulled out the winning paper right after letting Kaiji see his plan was ruined.

There was no yoloing things cause he had already lost before that was even a option.

Nah, during Hyodo's first pull he removes Kaiji's stashed ticket and then purposefully pulls one that he knows isn't a winner (because he marked the second winning ticket). Then, when Kaiji reaches in to draw his stashed ticket, after realizing it's been removed he yolos and grabs a random one, hoping it's the winner. He later realizes that if he had stopped to think, he could have figured out that Hyodo was the only other person to reach in, so he must have done something with the ticket. Therefore he logically could have crumpled it up and hid it inside (like he did). He also could have stopped to think about what Hyodo could have done to rig the game, such as folding the winning ticket since he removed his hand after Kaiji did when they both placed it in. Even if he didn't guess that exactly, he could have reasoned out that Hyodo modified the winning ticket in that brief time to make it distinct to the touch, and thus findable, so Kaiji could have then felt around the tickets for one that stands out.

Kaiji straight-up says that Hyodo gave him a chance to win, testing his abilities to cheat on the fly, and he instead gave up in despair and just left it up to lady luck to decide. Thus, he failed.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I feel like comparatively Kaiji lucked out way more in The Bog. In the Mahjong win he tilted his chances and made a (still risky) bet on it. The Bog was a rollercoaster of unpredictable poo poo that rolled over his plans and everyone but in the end it still worked out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nah, during Hyodo's first pull he removes Kaiji's stashed ticket and then purposefully pulls one that he knows isn't a winner (because he marked the second winning ticket). Then, when Kaiji reaches in to draw his stashed ticket, after realizing it's been removed he yolos and grabs a random one, hoping it's the winner. He later realizes that if he had stopped to think, he could have figured out that Hyodo was the only other person to reach in, so he must have done something with the ticket. Therefore he logically could have crumpled it up and hid it inside (like he did). He also could have stopped to think about what Hyodo could have done to rig the game, such as folding the winning ticket since he removed his hand after Kaiji did when they both placed it in. Even if he didn't guess that exactly, he could have reasoned out that Hyodo modified the winning ticket in that brief time to make it distinct to the touch, and thus findable, so Kaiji could have then felt around the tickets for one that stands out.

Kaiji straight-up says that Hyodo gave him a chance to win, testing his abilities to cheat on the fly, and he instead gave up in despair and just left it up to lady luck to decide. Thus, he failed.

Yeah I know Hyodo gave him a chance, but he ruined Kaiji's cheating plan and Kaiji kind of just gave up, he never went in intending to rely on luck.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adding this to the OP

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
he got away

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Huh?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I'm absolutely shocked at this development. Shocked! :monocle:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

New chapter finally explains what Kaiji's plan was. It's the most common guess I've seen, and turns out Kaiji's mom is a genius! :neckbeard:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Can Of Worms posted:

New chapter finally explains what Kaiji's plan was. It's the most common guess I've seen, and turns out Kaiji's mom is a genius! :neckbeard:

Simple but elegant.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pwned.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like when we get simple solutions.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

This will have an original story actually written by Fukumoto himself, and is marketing itself as the "final Kaiji story".

I was lukewarm on the original Kaiji films, but Fukumoto's involvement seems like a guarantee of at least a certain level of quality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That could spur on a S3 of the anime too if the pattern from the first two seasons coinciding with movie releases holds true.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/title/38165/yamima-no-mamiya

Could it be... The first girl protagonist on a Fukumoto mahjong manga?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I enjoyed the Akagi anime quite a bit when it was new, and recently heard that the manga finished, so I basically just binged through it. One of my favorite parts was probably when (spoilers for only the beginning of the Washizu arc) it was pointed out that 2,000㏄s would be 20,000㏄s in today's blood.

I didn't enjoy what I've seen (most of season 1?) of the Kaiji anime, basically because Kaiji is kind of a loser compared to Akagi's perfection. For example, I like Liar Game and One Outs by Shinobu Kaitani for similar reasons to Akagi. Does Fukumoto have other things I should read for that? Maybe Ten?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kaiji is a loser but he is the best loser.

Ten's definitely the way to go if you liked Akagi though, considering Akagi's basically a prequel.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Gambling Emperor Zero is another story with a competent main character, although it's less focused on gambling and more on puzzle solving. Sort of like if Fukumoto wrote Professor Layton.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The fact that Kaiji is brilliant but still fallible is one of the main appeals of the character to me. It makes me way more invested in the story.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah that's why the current arc is hella tense. Because the prospect of Kaiji and buddies loving up and being caught by Teiai is very real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

Yeah that's why the current arc is hella tense. Because the prospect of Kaiji and buddies loving up and being caught by Teiai is very real.

Also the fact that Teiai will probably torture them to death.