Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems strongly implied that the only reason Swedracula didn't get staked and left for the Sun, professionally speaking, is that Sweden actually has labor laws and it seems that he probably did not actually violate criminal laws.

e: To be clear this is more of a "We have no law prohibiting you from what you did because we had not expected anyone would start an international incident with a vampire roleplaying game" situation, not "he did nothing wrong"

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's called "gross misconduct" and is a fireable offence if Paradox can prove that his behaviour badly damaged the company, which shouldn't be too hard to do considering he sank the entire product line and caused serious damage to White Wolf's brand image.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 4, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's called "gross misconduct" and is a fireable offence if CCP can prove that his behaviour badly damaged the company, which shouldn't be too hard to do considering he sank the entire product line and caused serious damage to White Wolf's brand image.

Paradox, not CCP.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also, y'know, the whole international incident thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The best part about that was Rein*Hagen crowing about censorship and speaking truth to power right up until it was his own rear end on the line. Then he started telling people to shut up and deleting comments to make himself look less culpable.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

The best part about that was Rein*Hagen crowing about censorship and speaking truth to power right up until it was his own rear end on the line. Then he started telling people to shut up and deleting comments to make himself look less culpable.
The Ballad Of The Straight White Male "Ally" is a song whose lyrics never, ever change.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FMguru posted:

The Ballad Of The Straight White Male "Ally" is a song whose lyrics never, ever change.

Particularly since, as a resident of a country adjacent to Chechnya he was probably best equipped on the writing staff to actually write the chapter. If he wasn't involved in some way in the writing of the chapter, or at the very least consulted, it was a massive failure either on his part or on the part of Swedracula.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Counterpoint: Rein*Hagen has a massive hateboner for Russia and probably would write something equally as likely to cause their government to be pissed off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's pretty much the reason why everyone rightly assumes he wrote it, particularly considering that no one else has come forward admitting ownership.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why would someone else come forward admitting ownership? Keep in mind when you consider the answer, that there's a nonzero chance the Chechen government might try to have that person killed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm actually holding onto hope that V5.5 is going to happen much sooner than anyone anticipated.

One of the main sourcebooks went OOP before it went P, so its current prospects as an evergreen title are pretty loving dismal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, it seems like they should just cut their losses and re-release the mechanics with a new setting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Um.

https://twitter.com/PlayParanoia/status/1113471219750166528

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We're doing what now?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That same company is doing the Runequest game, too.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 4, 2019

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

That's pretty much the reason why everyone rightly assumes he wrote it, particularly considering that no one else has come forward admitting ownership.

Well, that and he had a whole bunch of posts when it first started that were all "I'm not saying I wrote it, but whoever did was a totally awesome auteur challenging thinking and pushing RPGs into new territory" type masturbation. If he didn't actually write that section, he wanted people to think he did and own that "controversy".

At least, right up until it looked there could be actual repercussions.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
That unemphasized background shot of a guy dead-by-vending-machine and apparently just forgotten about in that Paranoia trailer does a lot to sell it to me. It makes me feel like they "get" it more than the too-over-the-top way some companies might do it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... What kind of game is this Paranoia thing, anyway?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It better be an adventure game because nothing else will work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think there was a brief shot of a combat in progress, with targeting circles and stuff.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
It's going to be a battle royal game.

(Kidding)

I could see this as being a The Ship like murder/survival type game (the mandatory hygine and fitness things).

But yeah, probibly some sort of adventure/real time RPG thing. Maybe (hopefully?) something wtih co-op, wiht some sort of traitor /hidden goals mechanic that Fs things up, since it seems like Paranoia was about groups of people who mess things up because they were secretly given conflicting goals.

(At least from stories I've heard, I've never played it, I've been interested and I'm going to keep my eye out for opinions on this game and maybe check it out on Steam when it's released).

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I believe it's been confirmed as a real-time-with-pause RPG where you control all four members of the team, which seems... pretty not great for Paranoia.

On a personal note, it's super weird to hear someone voicing Friend Computer. As a longtime Paranoia GM I have a very specific concept for how she sounds and hearing anything else feels odd.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paranoia would be good as a Sim thing. Something silly thAt indulges in the tone, like Evil Genius for spy movies. Try to set up a facility to accomplish various Properly Nationalistic goals while dealing with Friend Computer's demands and every routine task failing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like the ideal Paranoia single-player game would be We Happy Few, but in Alpha Complex.

And the ideal multiplayer would be, basically, teamplay where you're all members of the Troubleshooter team and get given arbitrary individual goals for the level and also an overarching team goal. Get in gunfights with a bunch of robots and commiemutanttraitors, balance stabbing each other in the back with winning the overall level, I think it could be pretty ok. Not as textured or wild as actual Paranoia, but capturing the fundamental constant backstabbing.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
We happy few's survival mode was a game I was thinking of when I saw this trailer, the survival aspects and sort of tone, (mandatory happiness) though I'd heard that game wasn't very good.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Foolster41 posted:

We happy few's survival mode was a game I was thinking of when I saw this trailer, the survival aspects and sort of tone, (mandatory happiness) though I'd heard that game wasn't very good.

I haven't actually played it, I just meant the style of game and NPC interaction.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Paradox, not CCP.

Yeah, whoops, I was drawing a blank on who their latest owner was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

On a personal note, it's super weird to hear someone voicing Friend Computer. As a longtime Paranoia GM I have a very specific concept for how she sounds and hearing anything else feels odd.

I had exactly the same response. “Who’s this imposter? The Computer is all happy, calm and sweetly feminine.”

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Naw, Friend Computer obviously sounds like HAL 9000.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Naw, Friend Computer obviously sounds like HAL 9000.

This but sometimes he gets his words wrong and the Troubleshooters have to wonder if they should correct him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Friend Computer sounds like a malfunctioning automated phone menu, someimes male and sometimes female, but always at an uncomfortable volume and always in an audio uncanny valley.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not getting my hopes up - it's being made by Cyanide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured an androgynous, annoyingly chipper voice for Friend Computer at first, but now I have a hard time not hearing Yes Man.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The best Paranoia video game was made in 1995, but also (appropriately) not released.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Desiden posted:

Well, that and he had a whole bunch of posts when it first started that were all "I'm not saying I wrote it, but whoever did was a totally awesome auteur challenging thinking and pushing RPGs into new territory" type masturbation. If he didn't actually write that section, he wanted people to think he did and own that "controversy".

At least, right up until it looked there could be actual repercussions.

I don't really blame Mark for dropping it and running given, like Leperflesh said, the Chechen government seemed eager to bring whoever did it in for "questioning", and being in a nearby nation along with any implication he's connected could get really serious really fast. The thing is, it was the grossest thing imaginable to write that to begin with, and MR*H won't ever acknowledge that just like he doesn't acknowledge anything wrong with any of his previous statements on similar issues, because that would mean admitting he's an artifact of a bygone era that's unwilling to adapt. He still thinks he's on the bleeding edge of arty game design.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
GladOS without the self-awareness of being malicious, if I'm honest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Friend Computer sounds like your group's GM, obviously

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It almost looks like you play as a high programmer, given that the trailer showcased the multiple screen setup. Best case scenario is Dungeon Keeper where you direct Troubleshooters who get murdered by Alpha Complex slices of life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't really blame Mark for dropping it and running given, like Leperflesh said, the Chechen government seemed eager to bring whoever did it in for "questioning", and being in a nearby nation along with any implication he's connected could get really serious really fast. The thing is, it was the grossest thing imaginable to write that to begin with, and MR*H won't ever acknowledge that just like he doesn't acknowledge anything wrong with any of his previous statements on similar issues, because that would mean admitting he's an artifact of a bygone era that's unwilling to adapt. He still thinks he's on the bleeding edge of arty game design.
My real question is what the hell brought Mark Rein*Hagan to live in Georgia? Did he just get on the wrong plane coming home from a con and didn't realize for months, and at that point he'd bought a house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maybe he likes peaches.