Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cage posted:

....I didn't think they would get so exact. Oops.

edit: drat $40 for 4 instead of $10

I need 83.82 to 70.3 is that too much?

Should be fine.

Edit: wrong size. These are hard to find

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
`69 f250 ranger 2wd 360FE v8 C6? automatic. Dual exhaust separate pipes. Truck blows white smoke all day from the driver exhaust. Revving the engine will produce voluminous clouds of exhaust. Compression is:
Passenger Driver
4-115 8-117
3-119 7-115
2-120 6-40
1-120 5-119

I'm leaning towards pulling the engine, but am looking for guesses or direction before a full tear down. Truck sat for an unknown number of years before it became mine. The down cylinder was soaked in MM/ATF/PB Blaster. Truck was flogged & driven hard, Had an oil change. Same symptoms.
Previously, a leak-down test suggested valve stem seals. Changed for the driver bank, same symptoms persisted. Cleaned & changed the plugs 2x. Will soot up the plugs for #6 really fast. Like gummy tar. Coolant level stays good, or isn't going down fast enough to tell if it is a cracked block.

Research says from least to worst: way too much fuel, valve issues?, stuck rings, cracked head, cracked block.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is it white (coolant) or blue (oil)?

You probably have multiple issues going on here - the compression test is telling you you've got a broken valve spring or whatever else you can think of for the low compression, the smoke sounds more like a head gasket.

Are 360/390s still a dime a dozen or have they all left the yards for the crusher? Should be an easy swap.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Blue if I really get on it initially, then transitions to Pure white smoke. Which made me think a whole lot of raw gas? Off Idle it will drop back down to wispy puffs of smoke, But anytime I want. It turns into a cloud machine. I also put the engine through two fully warmed up sessions of ~20oz of water burbled through the carb. Springs are stock, and for all I know it's got original unhardened valve seats.

Local machine shop prices are high enough ~$1200 for a rebuild. I'm leaning towards pulling the engine and why not do the whole thing vs. pulling one piston, & doing the heads while the engine is out. I like the classic cubic inches but, it's also a budget summer truck.
This movie may have influenced buying the truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBnRRjP8XM

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'm sure this is a really stupid question but has anyone rattle-canned wheels before? I loving hate the look of mine and would really like them black so the spoke pattern is less blatantly fugly. Unfortunately I can't drop money into anything superfluous like new wheels but I can probably shell out for some good paint and sanding supplies.

Would it last long enough or be a waste of time and just make me look like an idiot in 6 months? Warm, somewhat rainy climate, if that is any use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oG-1uzLJr0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slick posted:

Blue if I really get on it initially, then transitions to Pure white smoke. Which made me think a whole lot of raw gas?

If it was dumping raw gas, it'd be backfiring a whooooole lot, at least if you slammed the throttle shut from a decent speed. I don't mean cute little backfires, I mean "make the exhaust look like Elmer Fudd tried to shoot his shotgun with a finger plugging it" types of backfire, the kind where you (and everyone within half a mile of you) poo poo yourself thinking someone just fired a shotgun at you - dumping raw fuel into the exhaust tends to do that. Or, if it was an intake valve stuck open causing those numbers, you'd be getting a lot of backfiring through the carb.

You probably have a popped head gasket or something cracked. Can't say until it's torn down.

Side note: I had an F-150 with a kill switch that would kill the coil. It was endlessly amusing hitting the switch, pumping the throttle a few times, then flipping the switch back. KA-loving-BOOM. Also the reason I just went to glass packs and clamped them to the frame rails with vice grips, it'd blow them off and I'd have to go chase them down in traffic. I was a really stupid 17 year old

Motronic posted:

Are 360/390s still a dime a dozen or have they all left the yards for the crusher? Should be an easy swap.

They're a lot harder to find now, unless you find a junkyard specializing in old Ford stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

Side note: I had an F-150 with a kill switch that would kill the coil. It was endlessly amusing hitting the switch, pumping the throttle a few times, then flipping the switch back. KA-loving-BOOM. Also the reason I just went to glass packs and clamped them to the frame rails with vice grips, it'd blow them off and I'd have to go chase them down in traffic. I was a really stupid 17 year old

Don't need a kill switch on his truck or my old '74 since the ignition switch is in the dash - no column lock. And yes, it's hilarious and I was also a jackass 17 year old.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Two quick car questions:

1) My wife’s 2015 Chevy Equinox fob seems to no longer be working (and neither is mine). The issue is that when she unlocks the door with the actual key, it has five quick horn beeps followed by the alarm going off. Any ideas on why?

2) my 2010 Dodge Caliber (2.4L 4 cylinder) is currently making a loud engine noise (just a loud brrrrrrr sound) whenever my car is driving between the speeds of 53-60. Anything lower or higher makes the engine quiet down to pretty much normal engine sound. I have also noticed that the sound drops when I make a right curve at that speed. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
#2 sounds like a wheel bearing to me, especially since it changes when turning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Two quick car questions:

1) My wife’s 2015 Chevy Equinox fob seems to no longer be working (and neither is mine). The issue is that when she unlocks the door with the actual key, it has five quick horn beeps followed by the alarm going off. Any ideas on why?

Dunno if it's the same thing, but when my VW fob stopped working:
1. It was the receiver inside the car. Not the keys.
2. If I unlocked the door quickly, sometimes the alarm would go off. I noticed that if I unlocked and held the key turned for a couple of seconds, my lights would flash, indicating that the alarm was disabled. So, maybe try holding the key for a little bit before opening the door.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

STR posted:

They're a lot harder to find now, unless you find a junkyard specializing in old Ford stuff.

That's what eBay is for now.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

simplefish posted:

My fuses and relays look like this:

http://i65.tinypic.com/9q9ohe.jpg

But according to the inside of the lid, it should instead look like this:

http://i63.tinypic.com/4t0qxy.jpg

What I'm guessing has happened is that the fuse box cover is off a different model with the same engine. Like there's no 7.5A up in the top left corner, but there is a 7.5A next to the two "Spare" slots.

Still that huge gap on the left and the fact that there are fewer relays than the box lid says there should be has me slightly concerned.

Next time I get a chance I think I'm going to do an emergency stop, check I have ABS

Also, does anyone know where to look for what the diagram's referencing here, so I can do the shift test?
https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/advautoca/2008-11-22_193550_MANUAL_SHIFT_TEST.pdf

Turns out there was a relay missing, and a 15A fuse. I went to a scrapyard and took a look at another car that was crash damaged (so I was pretty sure the fuses would be right as it was most likely running at the time it got written off) and saw the bottom-left gap had a relay in it.

I'll plug em in and update the thread with what happens, if anything - I know you guys like endings to stories.

Any ideas on the diagram on the pdf though?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 3, 2019

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
How can I improve average MPG on my 2019 Honda Insight LX? I feel like I should be getting 50+, but I'm only averaging around 40, and I mostly just drive in Econ mode. Looks like from here the car averages around 46: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight. I read somewhere colder weather can have an impact, so should I expect a significant difference as spring rolls in?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: Nevermind. Went at it with a box cutter and lots of patience. It'll never look "right" again, but it's not taking up space. Clearing the seat adjustment rails was the worst part. On the upside, on the door panels and windows the thin coat of Oklahoma red dirt dust kept it from adhering to the actual plastic or glass and those parts peeled off easily. I did lose a sweater and a hat to it and I believe the second can is somewhere in the mass created by the explosion of the first can.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 3, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

simplefish posted:

Turns out there was a relay missing, and a 15A fuse. I went to a scrapyard and took a look at another car that was crash damaged (so I was pretty sure the fuses would be right as it was most likely running at the time it got written off) and saw the bottom-left gap had a relay in it.

I'll plug em in and update the thread with what happens, if anything - I know you guys like endings to stories.

Any ideas on the diagram on the pdf though?

The PDF opens as blank for me at least :shrug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Weaponized Autism posted:

How can I improve average MPG on my 2019 Honda Insight LX? I feel like I should be getting 50+, but I'm only averaging around 40, and I mostly just drive in Econ mode. Looks like from here the car averages around 46: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight. I read somewhere colder weather can have an impact, so should I expect a significant difference as spring rolls in?

There will be a difference, not sure if that dramatic though. What are your tire pressures?

Plus who knows where you live in regards to winter blends with gasoline.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Dumb question about rims cause I want to be 100% sure:

My tires are 205, R17; so in theory, I can buy any 17" rim in the range of 6.5 to 8 inches, though 7/7.5 probably being ideal?

Of that range, is there a width that's typically cheaper than the others?

My current rims are kind of bad...tire guys said it took a lot of beating/bending and weights to get the winter tires mounted and balanced (and not exactly perfectly balanced, I feel some wiggling), so I'll leave the winters on the bad ones and get new ones for my summers, and then I can change them out myself.

But I'm not any sort of "car guy", so looks aren't that important to me. It's just a beat up 2008 Mazda3, (Not even a MazdaSpeed, I'm so sorry, please forgive me.) I'm half tempted to just go to a junkyard and get some, but then I realized it'd be nice to have at least my summer drives be nice and not deal with vibrations, wiggling, etc...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Weaponized Autism posted:

Winter formulation gasoline is a big culprit, which has additives that assist the fuel in burning better in cold air. It also had the side effect of reducing the volume of actual fuel in a gallon, which typically materializes in a 2-5 MPG drop. Cold air is also dense, meaning it has a higher oxygen content which requires slightly more fuel to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

I'd say if you're averaging in the low 40s and average reported economy is in the mid-40s winter formulation gasoline is the likely explanation. Stations usually switch over sometime in mid-April and back again in mid-October.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my rims on my 2011 Mazda3 are getting a little rusty looking. my dad told me to just put some black spray paint on them. is that legit? seems goofy. they are fine just showing some fading from the great lakes winters

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

my rims on my 2011 Mazda3 are getting a little rusty looking. my dad told me to just put some black spray paint on them. is that legit? seems goofy. they are fine just showing some fading from the great lakes winters

I think if you're going to do that you really must sand, primer, and color. Masking off the tires of course. I was just noticing the other day one of my neighbor's cars was painted black at some point but has flaked off about 75% of the job, looking absolutely terrible now.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Its time to buy a new A to B car for me, and much like the 45 year old divorcee deep inside this 39 year old man's heart, I'm thinking I might replace my Honda Odyssey with a Crosstour. The internet says it's a great car, but I'm curious what the AI hivemind has to say about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's hideous but it's an Accord, same as the Odyssey. It's fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clitch posted:

Its time to buy a new A to B car for me, and much like the 45 year old divorcee deep inside this 39 year old man's heart, I'm thinking I might replace my Honda Odyssey with a Crosstour. The internet says it's a great car, but I'm curious what the AI hivemind has to say about it.

Buy a new passport instead

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yes, flee the country and buy a Lada.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Unironically that. Looks like a solid vehicle.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
2002 VW Mk4 TDI Golf - 5speed

Car died after two minutes of driving this morning. The car made some clicking sounds and the engine stopped, but dash lights and hazard lights still worked. The battery light came on. Pulled the car over and turned the ignition off. Tried to restart it and the starter turns but it wouldn't catch. Faint electrical smell under the hood. Turned the starter over for 10 seconds straight and it eventually started and acted normally. I've had it parked the rest of the day and it's still starting and acting normally, except that the fob couldn't control the locks or hatch until I used the key manually in the driver's door.

Any ideas for what happened and how to prevent it happening again?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Don't need a kill switch on his truck or my old '74 since the ignition switch is in the dash - no column lock. And yes, it's hilarious and I was also a jackass 17 year old.

My '66 Bonneville was doing this at random because one of the ignition switch contacts was burned up. It was a loving riot when I'd be throttling up an onramp at about 65, top down, next to a jersey barrier, when I'd lose all power for a couple heartbeats and then BOOM.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Winter formulation gasoline is a big culprit, which has additives that assist the fuel in burning better in cold air. It also had the side effect of reducing the volume of actual fuel in a gallon, which typically materializes in a 2-5 MPG drop. Cold air is also dense, meaning it has a higher oxygen content which requires slightly more fuel to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

I'd say if you're averaging in the low 40s and average reported economy is in the mid-40s winter formulation gasoline is the likely explanation. Stations usually switch over sometime in mid-April and back again in mid-October.

Also, hybrids get worse mileage in cold temps before you factor in winter fuel. Cold batteries just can't deliver the same amount of power as a warm battery. (hot batteries also don't work well, but that's why hybrids have a battery cooling system)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

The PDF opens as blank for me at least :shrug:

Ah dammit, it works for me. Would someone else mind trying please?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also my steering wheel vibrates a lot above about 55mph

It has new front shocks but I'm pretty sure the steering bushings were knackered several owners ago. I think that's the issue (99% certain), but googling seems to say worn steering bushings causing steering wheel vibration is a *low* speed issue.

Is that meaning "only low speed" or "low speed and above"?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
At the suggestion of some advice I got here recently, I am going to use a fuse tap to install a relay to kill my lights when the ignition is switched off.

The tap itself fits the fuse box, but the pass-through it uses takes fuses of a smaller physical size. I am OK using these as long as they're the same rating, right?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

simplefish posted:

Also my steering wheel vibrates a lot above about 55mph

It has new front shocks but I'm pretty sure the steering bushings were knackered several owners ago. I think that's the issue (99% certain), but googling seems to say worn steering bushings causing steering wheel vibration is a *low* speed issue.

Is that meaning "only low speed" or "low speed and above"?

Tyres?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ethics_Gradient posted:

At the suggestion of some advice I got here recently, I am going to use a fuse tap to install a relay to kill my lights when the ignition is switched off.

The tap itself fits the fuse box, but the pass-through it uses takes fuses of a smaller physical size. I am OK using these as long as they're the same rating, right?

Yes, as long as the rating is the same, you are good to use a smaller-footprint fuse.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I went up a steep ramp and had to slip the clutch to not stall the engine, but also could not go too fast up the ramp. This is the first car I've driven where starting off in general (from stop, in first) requires slipping the clutch (excessively IMO) to not have a jerky start. From googling this might be due to the nature of the clutch delay valve. Anyway, the clutch made a grumbling sound and I could feel a harsh rumble through the pedal. Never experienced anything like this before in a car and it felt as I was murdering the clutch. :(
I have been getting some slight vibrations through the clutch pedal at the bite point when starting off in first gear though.

Should I be worried?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

So I went up a steep ramp and had to slip the clutch to not stall the engine, but also could not go too fast up the ramp. This is the first car I've driven where starting off in general (from stop, in first) requires slipping the clutch (excessively IMO) to not have a jerky start. From googling this might be due to the nature of the clutch delay valve. Anyway, the clutch made a grumbling sound and I could feel a harsh rumble through the pedal. Never experienced anything like this before in a car and it felt as I was murdering the clutch. :(
I have been getting some slight vibrations through the clutch pedal at the bite point when starting off in first gear though.

Should I be worried?

Is it a blue car or a red car?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Motronic posted:

Not that matrix poo poo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not that matrix poo poo.
It's a reference to "How the gently caress would I know what's wrong with your car without knowing anything about your car, e.g., what kind of car it is?" ->

IOwnCalculus posted:

:siren: IF YOU ARE ASKING A QUESTION, YOU NEED TO GIVE DETAILS :siren:
Be specific. "MY BLUE CAR IS MAKING A SQUEAK WHAT COULD IT BE?" ain't good enough. Tell us the make / model / year / engine type when asking questions about your car. Beyond that, the experts will ask for further details.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Motronic posted:

Sorry I figured it was a more general clutch type thing, not specific for the car which is why I didn't mention it (although the year would be useful). That and it's not a car that exists in the US, although come to think of it I think it shares the gearbox with the Dodge Dart (as it has the same engine). Might share it with some of the Fiats that are in the US, but not sure. C635 gearbox. Might be some differences as the Dodge Darters seem to come up with loads more mods than the Alfa/Fiat community.

The car is a blue 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Or alignment, ball joints, shocks, wheel(s) out of balance, etc.