Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Something I did last night, this table will pass a few more times before I get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Here I filled it out for ya, I think I remembered all the fantasy races, lemme know if I forgot any.

No need to thank me, I'm here to help.

:3: I'll make sure he sees this, thankyou!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1113414246417743872?s=19
Okay, time to post my actual commission. I probably should have charged more to do lettering.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Had to get home from a conference in Italy today and the god drat train had a delay of over two and a half hours. Being used to PT being on time results in a lot of suffering whenever I'm abroad.

On the upshot, I drew some stuff on the train:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sometimes i dont even know

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hashtag daily printing

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Hashtag daily printing

I really like these. Can you explain a bit about whatever techniques/media/inks are used?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

IkeTurner posted:

I really like these. Can you explain a bit about whatever techniques/media/inks are used?

Carved linoleum blocks with oil inks

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

Carved linoleum blocks with oil inks

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing more.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Was recently linked to this thread. I've been away from the art world for a while, so I'm trying to draw a little every day.

And then I made a terrible mistake and stayed up all night finishing something. But here we are. In theme with the amazing map joke, we're starting with some leafy elves.

And now a good boy warforged.

Trying to simultaneously remember how to draw, learn how to draw characters and learn how to draw digitally. We'll see how long I can keep this up.

(I love your B&K superfly)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Was watching an rpg stream (yeah, peak nerd) and the bezerker got frozen charging into combat. Eventually it fell off and he one-shotted the big bad eeeeevil goblin priest.

Very related, finished the map I started yesterday:

I'm really pleased with the water texture, Krita has a really nice tiled-canvas-view that made it way easier than I was expecting.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Love the map, I'm just learning how to use Krita so hopefully I'll figure out how to properly texture things and avoid drawing individual scales again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My 2-in-1 laptop/tablet has finally been delivered after 2 months of waiting through a supply shortage. I'm also joining the learning Krita club along with digital drawing in general now :toot: I did a tracing to get used to this fancy digital pen.

Keep in mind that it's just a tracing so can hardly be called indicative of my skill, but hey, it was fun :v:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1114253991779631105

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 5, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Yes, very nice, but it seems to be lacking .. something, as if there's not enough apostrophes and magykness to the names, as if these names were not spoken by people of the pointy-eared persuation, if you know what I mean.
(I'm kidding, it looks great). I really like the watercolour brush you've got in the wyldlands, I think it would've worked on the rest of the map as well.

:wink: Hello there mighty warrior, have I told you how much I loathe the human scum, who are so inferior to elves? Let me count the ways..

Also welcome to THE PAIN ZONE where you will never learn that midnight creative urges will always override your need for sleep.
It's like the most simple Pavlovian trick where you'd think that getting slapped by feeling like death the next day would teach you that, indeed, you're lying to yourself when you think it won't be that bad.

Oh hey anyone wanna take three loving guesses at what I drew tonight?
Go on.

If you guessed elf or vampire, SYKE, it's BOTH

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

weird expressionist scifi thing

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If you guessed elf or vampire, SYKE, it's BOTH

My attempt to up the ante on elfweek by making a vampiric drider has failed miserably tonight. I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow. I love your adorable, happy vampire elf :kimchi:

In related news, I've always been very line-heavy in my artwork, but I love the look of just the brushes. Any advice in trying to make that jump?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yes, very nice, but it seems to be lacking .. something, as if there's not enough apostrophes and magykness to the names, as if these names were not spoken by people of the pointy-eared persuation, if you know what I mean.

Elves and fantasy stuff live in the Wyldlands, which is why it's spelt with a Y. South of that everyone is vikings. Elves are allergic to testosterone and so don't dare come south.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Chaosfeather posted:

In related news, I've always been very line-heavy in my artwork, but I love the look of just the brushes. Any advice in trying to make that jump?

It's not an easy transition, I actually love my linework and only moved to this style because of the limitation of the drawing pads back when I started making digital (namely, the wobble you get when trying to do very careful, accurate linework). It's still an ongoing process for me where I do still easily gently caress up values and colour because oh my god are values a lot harder to see in colours when your darkest thing isn't the black outline on everything.
You've gotta learn to think about you subjects completely differently, in terms of volume, light and shade instead of picking out the defining outline. I was used to those being an afterthought if I wanted to colour my pictures, and that was a big if. You also can't go straight for the delightful details, they need to come in last after you've laid down your base.

The way I now approach a pic is sketch first, then the flat base with the darkest colour I'm gonna use, then the midcolours on top of that, then highlights and details. Then I wonder if I should've thought about a background.

lofi posted:

Elves and fantasy stuff live in the Wyldlands, which is why it's spelt with a Y. South of that everyone is vikings. Elves are allergic to testosterone and so don't dare come south.

I accept and approve :hai:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doodling when watching TV.

And then my son drew a minecraft house...

So I did a creeper with my freshly acquired watercolors

edit:
Just now when watching tv did something that started out as circles and ended as something I remember from biology, close to 20 years ago. My reasoning behind the shapes and so on is just to get my hand used to longer periods of drawing without aching after 10 minutes, not to create anything remotely aesthetically pleasing.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 6, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh my god, remind me to not try to learn everything at once, please.

Especially not when I get a wild hair up my rear end that I need to add increasingly fancy elves to the thread. Spoiler'd because spider, don't want to give arachnophobes a bad time.

Vampire spider elf.

I'm going to go back to something more sane tomorrow. Like sketches. Not super happy about this guy but I'm gonna call him done so I can keep going.

Is there any way to loving draw faces without making it a goddamn huge monstrosity? Holy crap I think I expanded this thing 5 times after the initial sketch phase. You weren't kidding that it's hard.

Keetron's got the right idea, I need to draw something to relax.

Edit: That's quite fair and a good mentality to change. It's intimidating to come into this thread with some of the talent here, and it's a driving force in me not posting my chickenscratch doodles and instead powering ahead. I'll endeavor to work on that in the future.

Be warned: my default sketches are monsters or birds. You'll get super bored of them after a while.

Edit x2: I am a newcomer, so I think I got the wrong start on this thread. Here's a quick critter that's more of an attempt at a painterly sketch, as penance.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 7, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah, there is more to it than just lines on paper. By actually using all those supplies I bought, I am trying to get over myself to create something I think is nice but instead actually [i]drawing[/] and screw the result and my perception of it. Over the years I have been trying to get good at drawing and look at a lot I made either to critical or not critical at all. A weird duality in performance anxiety and pretentiousness. The current approach is just to get the lines on the paper to get some motor skills and simply learn to enjoy the process, screw it all. Now we get to the final reason to post all doodles that I am think are no good at all which is to a) teach myself not all drawings are created equal but it is the journey that counts and b) maybe help others with the same perception that often lines are just lines.

I get the impression that most of the people posting in this thread are either not posting their doodles out of fear or only posting the best and/or hating the rest they make (looking at you shinmera). It is a bane of social media that we are looking at other people's highlight reels all the time and to be honest, I don't care for those. The reason I keep returning to SA is that this seems a place where we are allowed to show everything and while you might be told it is poo poo, the honesty of the nakedness is appreciated. Personally I care way more about the process showing those, like me, that are low-skilled at something that nothing comes free and nobody was born with the skill to create those masterpieces that sometimes pass here. Show us the long journey to creation by showing all that in between.

So to quote `The New Colossus`:

Emma Lazarus posted:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 7, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Chaosfeather posted:

Is there any way to loving draw faces without making it a goddamn huge monstrosity? Holy crap I think I expanded this thing 5 times after the initial sketch phase. You weren't kidding that it's hard.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a big part of the problem, it's something I struggle with too, is trying to put too much detail in for the size of the picture. It seems natural to try and put all the features in, even on a tiny image, even when that's much "higher resolution" than the rest of the image.

Try suggesting the features, just making areas of shadow and light, rather than trying to draw in everything. Particularly around the eyes I've found that works well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Today on Keetron Proves His Point:

I was too lazy to get up and get a sharpener when I started shading. That will not happen again, the shading like this I mean. Next time I want to do something with actual shadows, should be fun.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Chaosfeather posted:

Pink Rhinobeast would be a great name for a band.

lofi posted:

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a big part of the problem, it's something I struggle with too, is trying to put too much detail in for the size of the picture. It seems natural to try and put all the features in, even on a tiny image, even when that's much "higher resolution" than the rest of the image.

On top of this, I think that humans are so used to looking at and recognizing faces that even small variations to the composition can easily seem "wrong", despite it being extremely difficult to pinpoint why. I mean, look at Zuckenberg's face. It's definitely human, and yet there's something about how his features are planted on the face that makes him look like an animatronic from the uncanny valley. It's also true that the more detail you put in, the more can go wrong - a smiley face is real easily recognizable as a face, despite giving the bare minimum information to recognize something as a face. It's always a balancing act between things you wanna pick out and depict and things you wanna leave out or stylize, and it's especially hard when you're used to thinking of what lines you're gonna pick to draw instead of which bits of the 3d mass you're gonna render. The swamp elves I made are a couple pages back but I'm not kidding, I "fixed" the guy's face like 5 or 6 times during the draw.

Keetron, I appreciate that you post all that you do, because I also love that people of different skill sets and levels all come to this thread. People who are new to drawing and art usually progress so fast, too, it's fun to watch. And I love seeing the art people think are "failures", there's a lot to learn from mistakes - what an artist considers the most important part of their art, why some things work and other don't, and that everybody fucks up.
Also your son is a great artist, tell him.

Today I tread some old ground. I used to draw a lot of these half-animal people when I was a kid, before the internet and furries were a thing.
But now the internet exists, so here's a furry, I guess.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 7, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

SOULS!

re: animal people, I find drawing monsters and monster people fun. Nothin wrong with that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Today I tread some old ground. I used to draw a lot of these half-animal people when I was a kid, before the internet and furries were a thing.
But now the internet exists, so here's a furry, I guess.

Not that it matters, draw what you like, but FYI furry dates back to the 70s and the underground comics scene. There were entire magazines published from people's apartments.

Nice, critter, btw. :)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Hey fellow art Goons. I almost quit. But was on vacation last week, which kind of cheered be up a bit. So I guess I'll try to keep up the daily sketches, at least for now.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not that it matters, draw what you like, but FYI furry dates back to the 70s and the underground comics scene. There were entire magazines published from people's apartments.

Nice, critter, btw. :)

Thanks for the history lesson! I didn't realize furries date so far back, so let me rephrase: before I KNEW furries were a thing.
I was needlessly defensive about it because it sorta rubs me the wrong way how something that I associate with a fairly innocent time in my life gets what is essentially a fetish stamp and then I feel the need to pre-explain with "I'm not a sex pervert of this flavour, but here's an animal person". It's sorta weird that I feel I gotta justify myself.

heavy liquid posted:

Hey fellow art Goons. I almost quit. But was on vacation last week, which kind of cheered be up a bit. So I guess I'll try to keep up the daily sketches, at least for now.

Welcome back, and congrats on making it through the first hurdle and picking back up again!

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I hear ya. I've always loved fantasy and sci-fi stuff, dragons included. If I let furries ruin dragons for me as a whole that's on me more than anything else.

Edit: I didn't think this was offensive, but I'm obviously outside of the furry community and wouldn't know, so I've removed it.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 9, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chaosfeather posted:

I hear ya. I've always loved fantasy and sci-fi stuff, dragons included. If I let furries ruin dragons for me as a whole that's on me more than anything else.

You familiar with LethalChris? He draws tons of dragons, it is pretty soothing to watch.
As I understand it is that every artist who publicly draws anthropomorphic characters will sooner or later get a request for a baby lion in a diaper who pissed himself and the money offered is so good and from then on you are known as the piss baby artist but at least you paid the rent for two months.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Furries are good at dragons honestly.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Welcome back, and congrats on making it through the first hurdle and picking back up again!

Thanks, Sharpest! :D

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its 2019, leave furries alone

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I heard there’s a lot of good money to be made off of the furry community, so I went and checked out the Furaffinity message boards and...I honestly have no idea how to relate to them in any way. Remaining completely non-judgemental, they’re just so very, very alien to me. There’s this whole subculture with its own mores and language and I have no idea where to even begin and frankly the intensity of them scares me a bit. Like, if I engage with them at all, they’ll somehow ferret out my name, phone number, and home address, and start bombarding me with demands for drawings of naked dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Posting just to complete the trilogy

dupersaurus posted:

Madonna and Child, early 21st century, Our Lady of Perpetual Hip, Portland, OR

God drat did I screw up the size of her head

dupersaurus posted:

Playing with different gold inks. Finally found some good ones.

I think left wins. Right is lovely (and is more metallic) but the image needs the bright pop.