Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

weird Asian candy posted:

Couldn't put my finger on it...

is that sinbad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Sure is!

Necessary Roughness...1991

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's the shoulder slashes

And the lettering above the numbers

:hmmyes:

wandler20 posted:

I think the Bucs was the most hated of what Nike has done. They're talking about changing them next year already.

Those digital alarm clock numbers are bad. That's the only part that really stuck with me. No idea if it was Nike, but the Jaguars helmets were worse than the Bucs uniforms.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

Sure is!

Necessary Roughness...1991

Welcome to foot....ball

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

IRON MAN FOOTBALL

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Among seahawks fans it was mixed. I think the overall reaction from people was negative as people hate change and love ridicule. As mentioned i was unsure about them, but now really like them. They are interesting, I like the colors (actually wish there was more green), and I am that guy who loves monochrome unis.

I still don't like the neon ones that every Seahawk fan will now defend to the death, but I always loved the gray alternates and wish they'd wear them more.

I also like many other boring things.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Patriots have a better record out of division than they do in the AFC east for the Brady Belichick era

That’s not true. It’s close, but it’s like 77% in division vs 75% out of division.

And it’s not like the other AFC east teams are any good out of division either, they’re all below .500 since 2003 in out of division games. The Pats are very good but the rest AFC east is also consistently mediocre bad year over year and that certainly doesn’t hurt the Pats chances to make the playoffs and get a bye every year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

one interesting thing about the pats is that they cheat to win football games

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Those digital alarm clock numbers are bad. That's the only part that really stuck with me. No idea if it was Nike, but the Jaguars helmets were worse than the Bucs uniforms.

There was absolutely no excuse for that helmet existing and you are correct.

I wish they Bucs would go with the color rush uni with a different number font.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alaois posted:

i vaguely remember it being fairly negative

IIRC, it was somewhat negative but coupled with a general feeling that their previous uniforms had become bland. The new uniforms also quickly became synonymous with the Wilson and the team become good, which obviously eased the transition a fair bit.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

No idea if it was Nike, but the Jaguars helmets were worse than the Bucs uniforms.

They were. Nike took over NFL uniforms going into the 2012 season and Seattle was the first to get the big uniform redesign. Jacksonville did the next major change in 2013. Everybody hated the helmets, but I think the reaction on the rest of that uniform was otherwise ambivalence. Really, those helmets were loving awful, but I don’t think the actual jerseys and pants were terrible, but their new uniforms are closer to their old 90s sets and better.

Aside from Tampa (Who last switched in 2014 and can now do a wholesale change whenever they want) and the crappy clock numbers, don’t forget Miami has Nike do their new uniforms going into 2013 as well. The initial reaction to those at the time mostly focused on the trampstamp name on the pants and the logo change, but otherwise I think most people were fine with it as an updated look... until a year or two ago when they came out with those 70s throwbacks which got a ton of praise and a lot of people want them to switch to those full time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I dont understand why uniform makers/graphic designers are so turned off by the classic straight stripe. Why are the stripes tapering off like a knife point, that looks stupid

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Patriots have a better record out of division than they do in the AFC east for the Brady Belichick era

People always say this and my response is "so?" You're still playing lovely teams constantly, whether you win or lose against them is your business

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I dont understand why uniform makers/graphic designers are so turned off by the classic straight stripe. Why are the stripes tapering off like a knife point, that looks stupid

That's my complaint as well. Those straight double stripes they had were both fresh and classic. This looks like something vomited up from an ad agency circa 1996.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

People always say this and my response is "so?" You're still playing lovely teams constantly, whether you win or lose against them is your business

Are you arguing the rebuttal is a logical fallacy or...?

I guess it depends if you’re focusing more on the record itself or on whether a stronger team in the division would beat up the patriots physically more often?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

I was curious so:

Record since 2001, opposing team has a losing record on the season:

Tied for 3rd with the Steelers, behind the Seahawks and Eagles... never would've guessed the Eagles.

pre:
Team		W-L%	Count
Patriots	0.864	169
Colts		0.782	156
Packers		0.762	166
Ravens		0.745	161
Steelers	0.743	169
Eagles		0.728	171
Seahawks	0.699	181
Broncos		0.697	155
Falcons		0.685	168
Chargers	0.681	163
Panthers	0.677	155
Saints		0.673	168
Giants		0.667	156
Cowboys		0.665	167
Bears		0.663	160
Vikings		0.651	159
Bengals		0.636	147
Bills		0.633	147
Chiefs		0.616	164
Titans		0.61	154
Texans		0.607	140
49ers		0.603	155
Jets		0.593	162
Lions		0.58	150
Dolphins	0.575	153
Cardinals	0.564	165
Jaguars		0.541	148
Washington	0.537	161
Rams		0.533	150
Buccaneers	0.531	162
Browns		0.486	142
Raiders		0.476	145
Of course if you look at opponents has a winning record, the Pats have 2 more games then anyone else and the only other team over 50% against them are the Steelers. The Lions have won 10% of their games against opponents with a winning record which is nightmarishly bad. For comparison, the Raiders have won 27%.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s not true. It’s close, but it’s like 77% in division vs 75% out of division.

And it’s not like the other AFC east teams are any good out of division either, they’re all below .500 since 2003 in out of division games. The Pats are very good but the rest AFC east is also consistently mediocre bad year over year and that certainly doesn’t hurt the Pats chances to make the playoffs and get a bye every year.

Yeah, it's not just about the record against those teams, it's that those teams are rarely any real threat to take the division and force the Pats to play from a wild card seed. Meanwhile the AFCW has had a 12-4 wildcard in 2 of the past 3 years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pro Click listen of Rand Getlin talking about the business of NFL insiders. Long episode but worth it. Calls RapSheet and NFL Network “State TV” trafficking in anti-player news.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1113068677757308928

Absolutely NFL media is deeply, deeply corrupt. The only people that get access are ones that parrot the party line. It kind of reminds me of some other venerable institution...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

The Lions have won 10% of their games against opponents with a winning record which is nightmarishly bad.

:cawg:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, it's not just about the record against those teams, it's that those teams are rarely any real threat to take the division and force the Pats to play from a wild card seed. Meanwhile the AFCW has had a 12-4 wildcard in 2 of the past 3 years.

This makes a lot of sense. I can see that argument

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just between random chance, injuries to the opponent and throwaway end of season games any NFL team should win more then 10% of them. Like, loving how.

The Lions are 6-46 against NFC North teams when they have a winning record on the season.

Those 6 wins:

2003: 22-14 against a 6-5 Packers team that ends the season at 10-6. Yep, this is the one game in the decade.
2010: 7-3 against a 8-5 Packers team missing Rodgers
2013: 40-10 against the Matt Flynn Packers again.
2014: 19-7 in week 4 against the Packers, haha, eat it Rodgers
2015: 18-16 Oh hey, they beat Rodgers again when they were 2-7 and the Packers 6-3
2017: 14-7 over the Vikings. Ah the early days of Keenum-mania.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 3, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Record since 2001, opposing team has a losing record on the season:

One of the things this could suggest is that the Patriots play a WORSE selection of losing teams than everybody else, regularly. That is, the AFC East has the losingest losing teams. It also suggest the Pats are good, which is true. It's actually kind of hard to draw a firm conclusion about what this means

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They are very good AND play 6 games against bad teams. It's not a mystery.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They are very good AND play 6 games against bad teams. It's not a mystery.

also they have an unfair advantage because they cheat please stop leaving this out

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Zerilan posted:

My new theory on why the Chiefs blow in the playoffs is that they are exhausted after a brutal regular season knife fight with the rest of the AFCW

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Takes a miracle to beat 'em, sometimes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

One of the things this could suggest is that the Patriots play a WORSE selection of losing teams than everybody else, regularly. That is, the AFC East has the losingest losing teams.

Eh, since 2001 you've got the Browns, Jags forever, Chiefs were in there a few times, Raiders, etc. I don't think the AFC East had the losingest AFC teams as a whole during that timespan.

Bills were mostly bad but only had one 3 and one 4 win season in there, it's a bunch of 6-10 and 7-9 seasons for them. The Jets were worse as far as bad years go but also were actually good for a couple of years in there. The Dolphins were like the definition of mediocrity that whole time other than one 1-15 season.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Zerilan posted:

This has been my argument here for years. It needs to be shouted from the rooftop any time a Pats fan comes in with the old chestnut about the AFC East.

Nov 6, 2002

The Steelers, Ravens and Bengals basically had two free wins per year for the last two decades.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

As have the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys, excepting an odd season here or there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

One of the things this could suggest is that the Patriots play a WORSE selection of losing teams than everybody else, regularly. That is, the AFC East has the losingest losing teams. It also suggest the Pats are good, which is true. It's actually kind of hard to draw a firm conclusion about what this means

Hmm, well it'd be tough to nail it down, since reducing the win total further is tricky, but here's, by division each team's winning percentage since 2001:

Think at a minimum you'd have to call the AFC South / NFC West easier divisions

pre:
	Tm		W-L%;
1	Patriots	0.764
20	Dolphins	0.462
21	Jets		0.458
28	Bills		0.413

2	Steelers	0.656
8	Ravens		0.569
18	Bengals		0.488
32	Browns		0.314

3	Colts		0.625
19	Titans		0.479
24	Texans		0.445
29	Jaguars		0.396

7	Broncos		0.569
10	Chargers	0.542
13	Chiefs		0.51
30	Raiders		0.368

5	Eagles		0.592
11	Cowboys		0.538
17	Giants		0.493
26	Washington	0.422

4	Packers		0.611
15	Vikings		0.503
16	Bears		0.5
31	Lions		0.354

9	Saints		0.556
12	Falcons		0.533
14	Panthers	0.505
27	Buccaneers	0.42

6	Seahawks	0.575
22	Cardinals	0.45
23	49ers		0.45
25	Rams		0.436

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

How about just rank the divisions by the number of times a team has finished 4-12 or worse? Or even 5-11. I doubt the AFCe is last.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Steelers, Ravens and Bengals basically had two free wins per year for the last two decades.

Yeah but the AFC North is a meatgrinder of a division.

If the Pats had to play the Steeler, Raven & Bengal defenses twice a year every season, they would be in much worse shape come playoff time

Nov 6, 2002

The AFCW has absolutely been the worst during that stretch. The Rams, Cardinals and 49ers have often been among the worst teams in the league.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

If the Pats had to play the Steeler, Raven & Bengal defenses twice a year every season, they would be in much worse shape come playoff time

This is a dumb argument that is always made with no evidence other than like, a picture of Vontaze Burfict. You think tackles are made harder in the AFCN than anywhere else?

Show me the teams who's opponents had the most games missed due to injury after playing them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

How about just rank the divisions by the number of times a team has finished 4-12 or worse? Or even 5-11. I doubt the AFCe is last.

Yeah, I'm thinking of trying to figure out how often a team wins 4 / 7 / 10 / 12 games but the PFR search tools doesn't have an easy way of doing anything beyond winning / losing record or made the playoffs Y/N?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

these are disgusting

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You think tackles are made harder in the AFCN than anywhere else?

Someone find me that gif of the Jets all avoiding Tom Brady when he was 'blocking.'

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kalli posted:

Hmm, well it'd be tough to nail it down, since reducing the win total further is tricky, but here's, by division each team's winning percentage since 2001:

Think at a minimum you'd have to call the AFC South / NFC West easier divisions

pre:
	Tm		W-L%;
1	Patriots	0.764
20	Dolphins	0.462
21	Jets		0.458
28	Bills		0.413

2	Steelers	0.656
8	Ravens		0.569
18	Bengals		0.488
32	Browns		0.314

3	Colts		0.625
19	Titans		0.479
24	Texans		0.445
29	Jaguars		0.396

7	Broncos		0.569
10	Chargers	0.542
13	Chiefs		0.51
30	Raiders		0.368

5	Eagles		0.592
11	Cowboys		0.538
17	Giants		0.493
26	Washington	0.422

4	Packers		0.611
15	Vikings		0.503
16	Bears		0.5
31	Lions		0.354

9	Saints		0.556
12	Falcons		0.533
14	Panthers	0.505
27	Buccaneers	0.42

6	Seahawks	0.575
22	Cardinals	0.45
23	49ers		0.45
25	Rams		0.436

I did something like this two years ago. Most divisions have one really bad team either in a given year or over a long stretch of time and the fourth best team should be ignored as a non-factor when looking at division records.

In essence, the AFC East is the second least competitive division in the league because it is utterly incapable of producing a second best team that can reach the playoffs.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

Someone find me that gif of the Jets all avoiding Tom Brady when he was 'blocking.'

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thing I got a way to run a search.

How does this look for categories?

0-6 wins - bad
7-9 - average
10+ good

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The AFCW has absolutely been the worst during that stretch. The Rams, Cardinals and 49ers have often been among the worst teams in the league.

This is a dumb argument that is always made with no evidence other than like, a picture of Vontaze Burfict. You think tackles are made harder in the AFCN than anywhere else?

Show me the teams who's opponents had the most games missed due to injury after playing them.

I think the Steeler-Raven, Raven-Bengal, and Steeler-Bengal games are consistently the most physical games each season. All three teams have (or had) dominant, punishing defenses and their dislike for the other team ran deep.

The punishment that the players endure while playing each other doesn't necessarily result in injuries that will keep them out of games. Bruises, sprains, strained muscles, blows to the head .. all of that will accumulate and bring down a teams performance without necessarily keeping players out of the next game. Think of all the times Big Ben got more and more hurt as the season went on and ended up playing like poo poo in the postseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The punishment that the players endure while playing each other doesn't necessarily result in injuries that will keep them out of games. Bruises, sprains, strained muscles, blows to the head .. all of that will accumulate and bring down a teams performance without necessarily keeping players out of the next game.

None of this is special to the AFCN.

Ben gets injured because he holds on to the ball and takes a million killshots while trying to shrug a tackler off. Not because he plays in the AFCN.