Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I liked that weird GI Joe and Transformers book, but I think it exists in its own continuity. A child of the 80s knowledge served me fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked that weird GI Joe and Transformers book, but I think it exists in its own continuity. A child of the 80s knowledge served me fine.

Which weird one? The Saturday Morning-ish one that had a few sequels or the really dark early 20th century looking one?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

That was a very different creature, and was definitely in its own way swinging for populism the way an arthouse JLA vs. Avengers book would, which even if they get James Kochalka and Lilli Carre to do sequences it's still Superman vs. Thor, Batman and Black Panther teaming up, a weird Superman/Black Widow romance subplot, etc.

The James Roberts Transformers feels more like putting together a really deep and dark backstory swirling around Snapper Carr, Felix Faust, Black Vulcan, Nuklon, Crimson Fox II Amazing Man III, the Weapons Master, and the Wonder Twins. And once in awhile you check in to see that Wonder Woman is dead, the Joker is a Green Lantern now, Aquaman is evil now, etc.

Tom Scioli doesn't generally work for me as much as other people, but I think part of that is me having a hard time separating his sort of Art Brut Stoner Kid In the Back of Algebra Class's Notebook vibe from people I genuinely dislike like Joe Casey and Ben Marra and etc. I couldn't stand his Young Animal backups, for instance.

I *did* just read Scioli's Go-Bots mini-series which for whatever reason actually kind of worked for me, with all of its weird Dark Knight Returns/Kamandi/Planet of the Apes homages and circular time travel "the Go-Bots are the Old Gods, Transformers are the New Gods" vibes.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 28, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Morrison is the living incarnation of the anti-beard equation:

I didn't say the dream made sense. There was something about him showing me how he comes up with his stories by having a giant canvass on the floor with random words on it. I told him I needed to find a doctor because my sister was very sick (I don't have a sister) and he told me that he is a doctor and he can help but first he has to go out partying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ya nerds had to ruin the nefarious butt joke. :kazooieass:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nerd media has a bad tendency to wind up in self-referential circle jerks that whittle down the community for it, which then encourages more of the self-referential circle jerk. Usually this starts happening when fans of it wind up making it. It's a really hard pattern to break as well since there's a bubble of "everyone I know enjoys this".

To bring this back to comics, the Transformers comics reminds me a lot of the Legion of Superheroes. You've got an enormous cast and a lot of writers like to lean heavily into the decades of lore surrounding the team. It took something like Mark Waid's reboot of Legion with a willingness to throw away that cruft and focus on smaller stories to bring new readers back. And then the old readers got mad and old fans got in charge and put everything back to the impenetrable version just the way they want it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tom's cabin in the woods thread is still going and people have turned it into one of those copypasta things or whatever they're called, it's fun

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1111643459285188608?s=19

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s creepypasta but I don’t know if they still call it that anymore

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tom King is going to get killed by Swamp Thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

Tom King is going to get killed by Swamp Thing.

What about Tom Taylor though?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Solomon Grundy.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
My earlier cautious optimism was misplaced. "Hunted" is dumb and bad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

What about Tom Taylor though?

Too many Toms. I can't keep up. :saddowns:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senior Woodchuck posted:

My earlier cautious optimism was misplaced. "Hunted" is dumb and bad.

Counterpoint: I think it's good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TheDCUniverse/status/1111790412732067840

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I sure hope this means they fix their reader to where I don’t have to download every issue before reading it.

(I got really used to Marvel Unlimited’s streaming option.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. Marc Alessi, the founder of CrossGen Comics is reported to have passed away.

https://twitter.com/ronmarz/status/1111809346193813509

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ottawa has a new comic book convention focused on dealers and today happened to be my birthday so I just bought myself a whole bunch of birthday presents.

Picked up about 30 issues of Conan Saga, a bunch of 1980s Marvel minis (Kitty & Wolverine, Iceman, some others) and finished my runs of Doom Patrol and JLI/A/E.

For weird stuff I bought some Go Bots illustrated books that have (very bad) Steve Ditko art.

For great stuff I bought three of my favourite Captain America stories (113, 107, and 155) for a song. 110 was there too but I didn’t want to drop another 40$.

Lots of reading ahead.

e: said Ditko art

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 31, 2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone heard of Ben Katchor's strips from Metropolis magazine being compiled into a book at some point? I only see his latest work in Best American Comics anthologies. I think his last book was Hand Drying in America from 2013 and I'd love to see his newer stuff.

But short of finding years worth of back issues to a magazine about architecture, I'm not sure how to get to read them.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My work place got evacuated due to possible arson. My co workers went to the nearest pub and had multiple pitchers. I know this isn't comic book related but I wanted you all to know I am okay (with drinking beer)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MarvelPuzzle/status/1112671001677058049?s=19

If this is an April Fool's Day joke I'm going to loving lose it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like possible arson turned into "multiple incindeary devices found" and man arrested later on. Nothing quite like finding out someone wanted to burn down your workplace really really badly. Anyway, how is everyone else doing?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Many people want to burn down their workplaces, we just keep it safe in our dream palace and take it out in healthy ways like videogames and excessive amounts of alcohol

But I'm glad you're okay.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Looks like possible arson turned into "multiple incindeary devices found" and man arrested later on. Nothing quite like finding out someone wanted to burn down your workplace really really badly. Anyway, how is everyone else doing?
I'm fine, thank you! Bit of trouble sleeping but it's okay.

I hope you are okay, it's definitely okay for you to feel feelings about what happened to you today and I hope you know that, and that you can talk to people about them if you can't handle them on your own and there's no shame in that either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I work for the government. Half the country wants to burn down my workplace literally and figuratively. And we're a safety org!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeeze arsonist guy, every knows you burn the place down after hours so people dont get hurt

Glad you're okay, but uhhh do you have a job to go back to now??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Jeeze arsonist guy, every knows you burn the place down after hours so people dont get hurt

Glad you're okay, but uhhh do you have a job to go back to now??

Yea no work today but I think the damage was minimal. It was at the building next door to the building where I work (though the buildings are connected). Its just a weird feeling as for most of the day no one knew what was going on and then we are told that some guy tried to burn down the building with multiple devices.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Found in an old letter column:

Shockingly, the writer was not complaining about Rob Liefeld. It was Jack Kirby, of course. The letter writer also complains about the way Kirby draws the Human Torch.

Edit:

Old letter columns are great.

If you don't recognize what this guy is complaining about, it's one of the very early FF stories where they go bankrupt and is a pretty major turning point in comics as a medium. Finding people complaining about classic stories in the letter columns of the time is always amusing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was going to make a sarcastic post about our fighters on the Frontline of the comicsgate war but in the end... It wasn't really sarcastic? Be safe guys

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Random Stranger posted:

Found in an old letter column:

Shockingly, the writer was not complaining about Rob Liefeld. It was Jack Kirby, of course. The letter writer also complains about the way Kirby draws the Human Torch.

Edit:

Old letter columns are great.

If you don't recognize what this guy is complaining about, it's one of the very early FF stories where they go bankrupt and is a pretty major turning point in comics as a medium. Finding people complaining about classic stories in the letter columns of the time is always amusing.

George R.R. Martin has a letter complaining about the FF from right around that time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that guy must've poo poo himself reading spider-man for the first time

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

George R.R. Martin has a letter complaining about the FF from right around that time.

It's in issue 20, though I think he has a few letters printed in the silver age. And it's not really complaining:

The Paul Gambaccini mentioned in the letter is also kind of famous, he became a host for the BBC. He wrote in a lot of letters complaining about the FF in the early days and eventually wrote in to say he changed his mind. Steve Gerber also had a letter printed in issue 19, but then finding future comics professionals (and occasionally then active professionals) in letter columns is like shooting fish in a barrel [Edit: I say that and flip back a page from Martin's letter and there is Mark Gruenwald as the secretary of his local chapter of the FF fan club]. Roy Thomas, for example, got his letter printed in issue 4.

And FWIW, issue 17 is decent but not brilliant. So that was a bit much, George. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 2, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

quote:

"I cannot fathom how you could fit so much action in so few pages."

Sounds about right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For random stranger

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

For random stranger

If only it could have been that simple...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

For random stranger

What book is this?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cosmic ghost rider destroys marvel history

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

cosmic ghost rider destroys marvel history

:frogon:

(Is that supposed to be Cosmic Ghost Rider with the pillow?)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah thats old frank when hes not in flame skull mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cosmic Ghost Rider Calmly DESTROYS Marvel History with Facts and Pillow.