Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Cojawfee posted:

So what exactly was technical boy? I thought he was technology, but he was just digital music invented by a friendless nerd?

:yeah:
I thought TB was meant to be all the technology/hardware in the world that caught our interest, like robotics, coding, computers etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This isn't a measured review of the season, and I say it respecting that a great deal of the show just isn't for my pale, cishet dude corpulence, but I'm kind of wearing out on the show. The scene with Bilquis, Ibis, and Anansi was great; but all the scenes of World menacing Technical Boy, Technical Boy menacing some rando are becoming tiring. Did the book have this much shouting? Was it this disjointed and ephemeral? I don't remember that, but maybe it's been a function of needing to focus on more that just Shadow.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This isn't a measured review of the season, and I say it respecting that a great deal of the show just isn't for my pale, cishet dude corpulence, but I'm kind of wearing out on the show. The scene with Bilquis, Ibis, and Anansi was great; but all the scenes of World menacing Technical Boy, Technical Boy menacing some rando are becoming tiring. Did the book have this much shouting? Was it this disjointed and ephemeral? I don't remember that, but maybe it's been a function of needing to focus on more that just Shadow.

Nope.

BOOK SPOILERS: In the books, only really Mr World and his cronies (not other gods, just mooks) were menacing shadow with any regularity. Technical boy (I think of him as the god of the Internet in the book), has like two whole scenes, one in which he kills Bilquis SUPER early in the book (mentioning because I don't know wtf they're doing with Bilquis in this show). I don't even remember anything else about him. There is very little (outside of the 'Somewhere in America' bits) shown outside of Shadow's perspective, so you don't see all the random gods that the show has made going around doing dumb side missions all the time.

I've complained before, but mostly in the hope that it would change: the show seems to want to do a 'monster of the week' thing like a loving CW show. Hey look! This week we're meeting the god of traffic and automobiles! Tune in next week when our ragtag group of heroes goes against the god of snapchat!

gently caress

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bring back old gbs posted:

My question: Media is Media, Money is...money, Argus was surveillance, but what is Mr. World, exactly? Does he just represent like....the concept of the world? Is he Father Earth, or Gaia? Or the concept of the illuminati? What IS he exactly?

Answered already, but yeah, Mr. World seems to be the concept of a shadow government / Illuminati.

However, SUPER BOOK/STORY SPOILERS DO NOT READ: It's a bit confusing because he's not even that? He's Loki. I'm not sure if that constitutes a plot hole or what, since he's not the god of the thing he is representing, so I'm not sure why he has any power or dominion over it. It doesn't matter, I suppose.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Kaedric posted:

Answered already, but yeah, Mr. World seems to be the concept of a shadow government / Illuminati.

However, SUPER BOOK/STORY SPOILERS DO NOT READ: It's a bit confusing because he's not even that? He's Loki. I'm not sure if that constitutes a plot hole or what, since he's not the god of the thing he is representing, so I'm not sure why he has any power or dominion over it. It doesn't matter, I suppose.

Mr. Wood, Mr. Stone, etc. in the book were the concept of the shadow government, G-men, secret enforcer and that sort of thing. World is who they work for. I think in the book it implies that they don't even know they're not human or that Wednesday is Odin. They're also basically the only villainous presence in the book. SUPER BOOK SPOILERS: I think Loki, as Mr World, convinced Stone/Wood/etc. that HE is the shadow government they work for? The whole idea is that the New Gods are young, powerful, and ignorant, and that's how Wednesday and World pull off their grift.

However, at this point the show barely even resembles the book so who knows where they're going with this. RIP Technical Boy maybe.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 1, 2019

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I'm enjoying the ride. Though the skinning was a bit much for me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't really know what was going on with the new guy either, but in an enjoyable sort of way. I'm curious what's going to happen with him, I guess his name is CEO? He was obviously human and grew up human, and I thought gods just sort of poofed into existence. Is CEO going to become a god now, or just a useful tool for them. I'm not really asking because I'm not going to read the CIA document of book spoilers that will be the answer, just commenting on the episode.

Orlando Jones losing his temper and slipping into an African accent was pretty loving amazing, great acting. Might be my favorite part of the show thus far.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It's the atrocious pacing. Superficially things are happening on screen but the plot is just not moving.

Like in this episode:

a: World threatens TB to fix something or else, then he or else's TB for no clear reason anyway.

b: Money oh god money. Tons of time spent to have a dialogue where Money basically went 'lol no bye' and nothing was achieved.

c: African god trio have a fun scene but in a vacuum with no clear connection to anything else going on.

It's all build-up and no pay-off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

It's all build-up and no pay-off.

Technically there was a payoff with Tech Boy getting the zap, but it didn't feel earned and doesn't really make sense. I still don't understand why New Media can be a replacement for him, they don't overlap nearly as much as (for example) Argus and New Media did. If the ep intro was supposed to set it up with Tech Boy being worshipped into existence by one person who then forsook him, that's completely counter to the whole idea of the new gods as concepts that are indirectly worshipped, this was laid out pretty clearly last season and followed by every other new god seen so far.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't really know what was going on with the new guy either, but in an enjoyable sort of way. I'm curious what's going to happen with him, I guess his name is CEO? He was obviously human and grew up human, and I thought gods just sort of poofed into existence. Is CEO going to become a god now, or just a useful tool for them. I'm not really asking because I'm not going to read the CIA document of book spoilers that will be the answer, just commenting on the episode.

I'm pretty sure he is just a human they're using to their own ends.

And speculation, but I'll spoiler it just in case:
Pretty sure TB isn't gone, given:
a) Shadow didn't die when he went into the mask thing, it's just a dimension holding kind of thing, I think?
b) the actor is still in the main credits in the intro, while New Media is listed as a guest star. I'm guessing TB has been relegated to Old God status now and will go jump ship?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'm guessing TB has been relegated to Old God status now and will go jump ship?

I really don't see TB getting along with Odin or any of the old gods really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Technical Boy is Tsundere for Shadow and the old gods

Regarding the SUPER SPOILER about Mr World: the greatest trick Loki ever pulled was convincing the World he didn't exist :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

counterfeitsaint posted:

He's just a human, but he's effectively in the role of High Priest/Prophet for Technical Boy (now New Media, but really Mr. World I guess).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What happened to Mr. Jaquel? It was weird hearing Thoth give an Anubis speech.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Kaedric posted:

I've complained before, but mostly in the hope that it would change: the show seems to want to do a 'monster of the week' thing like a loving CW show. Hey look! This week we're meeting the god of traffic and automobiles! Tune in next week when our ragtag group of heroes goes against the god of snapchat!

I've read the book, yeah. I think the pacing my be an issue as a previous poster said. But, then again, a solid third of the book involves doing absolutely gently caress all dithering around Minnesota. I'm not about to call CW show yet. I think the Vulcan and Easter episodes from last season were inspired. Argus had some business for Laura and Money is a solid character for the mythology of the show. (Wasn't he called The Invisible Hand in the book?)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm super evil and you can tell because I deliver all my lines in a whisper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you want peak Crispin Glover watch River's Edge

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that i'm in the minority, but I actually think I like this season more than the first one. I miss the god stories but other than that I think the slower pace actually suits the show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I also like it but I don't think it's as good as the first season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far this season has been more consistently entertaining on a scene to scene basis but without quite the highs of s1

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

My feeling with the technical boy vs new media stuff (and I could be TOTALLY wrong, just spitballing here..) is that technical boy is basically the god of people being into "nerdy" things. Take the CEO, he was into coding and video games, probably building computers and things like that. Hacking, etc, (back when he was younger). He got to being a CEO and built a company on the back of that. This is a common story for Gen-X and older Millenials, right? Learn coding/robotics/game dev, write an app, etc, and then build a startup, and hope it's a unicorn and you get rich.

But now, Gen Y is all about likes and followers. Youtube stars. Game streaming. "Personal brands". There is a whole generation of kids doing these things that don't care about the tech behind it. The old days were more like "oh, my computer is acting up, how can I fix it", but now it's more like "my phone is broke, but phones are disposable so I will just get a new one". The younger generations have gone from worshipping tech, to just worshipping the media that runs on that tech. (We can all agree, tech like phones and computers have gotten MUCH easier to use and more mainstream and I think this is a take on that)

That was my take anyway. I'm enjoying this season. I want more of the Mad Sweeney and Dead wife road trip, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Technology gods being rapidly superseded by newer gods seems to fit well with how quickly the technology moves on from the latest fad

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Oh, another thing, although I'm sort of torn on it. Anansi's character is wildly different than the book and this makes me sad as he was easily my favorite character. Having said that I *like* the Anansi on the show, but would have been happier if they had just split it into two different gods or something so we could have both.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

So far this season has been more consistently entertaining on a scene to scene basis but without quite the highs of s1

Is it worth checking season 2 if I liked season 1 despite the rough spots?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

Honestly I don't feel like the overall quality has changed much at all. It's just an entertaining show.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah I don't think the quality of the writing has changed much if at all? It's mainly the visuals that's a bit lower or more inconsistent than season one. It feels a bit more in line with standard cable tv stuff now instead of the dream like quality that was over everything.

They still go for that but where as it was majority of episodes (or felt that way) before now its more like money shot fx.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta keep in mind, a lot of TVIV posters are in lurrrrrve with Fuller and were ready to call this show a dead issue based solely on his absence so...

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

etalian posted:

I'm pot committed at this point, but season 1 was decent enough to have me stick through this one. In my opinion though, the show feels very aimless right now. Hoping something will kick into gear soon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I loved the origin stories during season one, but it’s too late to make an entire show about those.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I usually hate when things are vague and unresolved (like the Lost ending) but on this show I actually don't mind. I'm not sure why, maybe it's its dream-like quality or that it doesn't necessarily pretend to make perfect sense.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
This season would be redeemed if we got a "somewhere in America" with technical boy stuck in the last Radio Shack in America.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This season would be redeemed if we got a "somewhere in America" with technical boy stuck in the last Radio Shack in America.

:hmmyes:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

LOL it would have to be in a real dump of a place too, like a strip mall in some dying Oklahoman town.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress, that would be incredible.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Just watched the new episode. I’m liking season two and season one, but I’ve recently binged the whole thing and it’s all great.

Avoided the thread until I watched this week’s ep, and unless it was behind one of the spoilers or I missed it, how the heck hasn’t anyone mentioned that EB Farnum and Swearengen sat down together this episode? Especially with the Deadwood movie coming out soon.

The thing I don’t like about season 2 so far is EB wasn’t called a cocksucker and Ian McShane didn’t wink at the camera after.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Or maybe at the last Blockbuster video?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

etalian posted:

If you liked Season 1 of a show, why on earth would you not check out Season 2? Even if a show has had a spectacular nosedive in quality (alas Sleepy hollow...) all you lose is a couple of hours. Its not a lifelong commitment, you can just stop watching when something gets poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SiKboy posted:

If you liked Season 1 of a show, why on earth would you not check out Season 2? Even if a show has had a spectacular nosedive in quality (alas Sleepy hollow...) all you lose is a couple of hours. Its not a lifelong commitment, you can just stop watching when something gets poo poo.

I assuming the famous season 1 penis doesn't have a cameo role in S2?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

etalian posted:

Tragically not so far, so I guess if you are only watching for the cock I see why you wouldnt have checked out the new episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

etalian posted:

Weren't there like... a lot of S1 penises? There was penis in the cosmic mind-space, there was djinn fire-penis there was krav maga douche penis on the photo frame. Maybe a few others.