Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Illinoise!,

The Suburbs

I should give these a re-listen. Are they narrative in a general emotional sense or in an actual "here's a fictional character a, x happens then y happens which leads to a doing z" kind of way e.g. The Wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I should give these a re-listen. Are they narrative in a general emotional sense or in an actual "here's a fictional character a, x happens then y happens which leads to a doing z" kind of way e.g. The Wall

Michigan and Illinois(e) are autobiographical

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Illinois could be seen as a collection of thematically related short stories all taking place in that state. So, in effect, each song is a character's complete story.

The Suburbs is more structured towards a through narrative, but Arcade Fire is always a little abstract no matter what they're doing.

The only ones from my list that follow character(s) through multiple songs are Radical Face's The Family Tree, Zappa's Joe's Garage, and Beulah's Yoko, which is about a band breaking up after their last tour (which Beulah actually did, after touring for that album)

funkybottoms posted:

Michigan and Illinois(e) are autobiographical

Haha, no offense, but no they aren't.

Age of ADZ and Carrie & Lowell are, though.

Age of ADZ is about Stevens dying from a rare neurological disease. The orchestral music is his body and mind and the electronic music is the disease killing him. It's neat.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Coheed and Cambria - all of them, but Second Stage Turbine Blade is where I like them best. Not a fan of their hair metal/prog-influenced stuff

Both very obviously narratives following a character

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone!

If I might tap the well again, any recommended concept albums in the indie rock sphere? Specifically those with an emphasis on telling or suggesting a story through the lyrics and sound. I'm thinking like Pink Floyd's The Wall, Phish's The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, and Dear Hunter's Acts series.

For Phish id reccomend listening to the Gamehendge shows, theyre much better than the White Tape/MWSIY imo

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Haha, no offense, but no they aren't.

Age of ADZ and Carrie & Lowell are, though.

Age of ADZ is about Stevens dying from a rare neurological disease. The orchestral music is his body and mind and the electronic music is the disease killing him. It's neat.

i always assumed that he dropped the fifty states thing because he didn't have enough of his own poo poo to talk about, but it obviously wasn't his own poo poo in the first place; i'll be darned. from wikipedia:

"Before creating the album, Stevens read literature by Illinois authors Saul Bellow and Carl Sandburg, and studied immigration records and history books for the state—he made the deliberate decision to avoid current events and focused on historical themes. He also took trips through several locations in Illinois and asked friends and members of Internet chat rooms for anecdotes about their experiences in the state... Stevens has since not released another album focused on a state, saying in a November 2009 interview with Paste that "the whole premise was such a joke," and telling Andrew Purcell of The Guardian in October 2009 "I have no qualms about admitting [the fifty states project] was a promotional gimmick.""

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Coheed and Cambria - all of them, but Second Stage Turbine Blade is where I like them best. Not a fan of their hair metal/prog-influenced stuff

Both very obviously narratives following a character

"The Color Before the Sun" is not related to their "Amory Wars" story, and "Vaxis – Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures" might be a restart/reboot/new characters. I don't follow them that closely to know about that last album. Also, the first album is a bit rough. "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" is my favorite, for a mouthful of an album title.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone!

If I might tap the well again, any recommended concept albums in the indie rock sphere? Specifically those with an emphasis on telling or suggesting a story through the lyrics and sound. I'm thinking like Pink Floyd's The Wall, Phish's The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, and Dear Hunter's Acts series.

Murder by Death has a couple,

Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them? is a story about the devil coming to a small town in Mexico, it's from their early days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wntS2R944

Red of Tooth and Claw is pretty much their best album period, it's described by the band as "The Odyssey, but no redeemable characters" It's the best place to start for the band in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3llU-smhnQ

Parachute
May 18, 2003
vektor's "terminal redux" is a concept album but it's not in the style you're looking for. it tears rear end all over this earth though so if you like this song maybe give the whole thing a whirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEWDRs9ZJ8

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

hey thread recently i've been listening to mind.in.a.box and like about 40% of it. My favourite songs are probably Unknown and Unforgiving World both of which, I think I'm mostly enamoured with the auto-tune/vocoder thing they have going on. I've tried looking at similarly-tagged artists but they all seem to lean a bit too heavily in the shouting german man direction. Does anything else sound like this?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have a terrible knowledge of hip hop/rap and am very picky but I'd like to explore it more. I really like $uicideboy$ so I guess I'm looking for more stuff like that: dark, agressive, almost punk-ey but also listenable and has elements of melody.

Stuff like Death Grips I find is too "electronic" for my tastes, I'd still like it to be rooted in hip hop. I realize this is kinda broad so just throw anything interesting at me.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kvlt! posted:

I have a terrible knowledge of hip hop/rap and am very picky but I'd like to explore it more. I really like $uicideboy$ so I guess I'm looking for more stuff like that: dark, agressive, almost punk-ey but also listenable and has elements of melody.

Stuff like Death Grips I find is too "electronic" for my tastes, I'd still like it to be rooted in hip hop. I realize this is kinda broad so just throw anything interesting at me.

I am not as familiar with that style of hip-hop but here are a few suggestions:

Three 6 Mafia - $uicideboy$ are heavily influenced by them and even sampled a bunch of their songs for some of their early work
Denzel Curry
Juicy J

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I am not as familiar with that style of hip-hop but here are a few suggestions:

Three 6 Mafia - $uicideboy$ are heavily influenced by them and even sampled a bunch of their songs for some of their early work
Denzel Curry
Juicy J

Thank you for the suggestions! Three 6 Mafia definitely scratched that itch, I can totally see the influence. I'm really enjoying them

The other two were clearly talented but not really what I was looking for, they lacked that "edge" or aggression. I appreciate the suggestions tho!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! Three 6 Mafia definitely scratched that itch, I can totally see the influence. I'm really enjoying them

The other two were clearly talented but not really what I was looking for, they lacked that "edge" or aggression. I appreciate the suggestions tho!

Well Juicy J is one of the members of Three 6 Mafia and he mentored $uicideboy$ so I figured he would be a good one to check out. I am surprised you didn't find Denzel Curry to have enough aggression, that's one of the things he is known for. Check out this cover he did of Rage Against the Machine's "Bulls on Parade". When you say edge and aggression, what specifically are you referring to? The production or the vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4ywyFXdik

If you dig Three 6 Mafia, maybe check out UGK.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Well Juicy J is one of the members of Three 6 Mafia and he mentored $uicideboy$ so I figured he would be a good one to check out. I am surprised you didn't find Denzel Curry to have enough aggression, that's one of the things he is known for. Check out this cover he did of Rage Against the Machine's "Bulls on Parade". When you say edge and aggression, what specifically are you referring to? The production or the vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4ywyFXdik

If you dig Three 6 Mafia, maybe check out UGK.

Yeah I dug a little deeper into Juicy J and I like it but for some reason it's not quite hitting the spot. I think it might definitely be a production thing, I feel like when I listen to Denzel Curry even if his songs are aggressive the production is very high-end and I get less of that "underground" style production. I think another aspect is the vocals sometimes distorting or being harsh or shouted, or use of like vocal fry and stuff. I did enjoy Denzel's cover of RATM, but I have a hard time getting into his rap stuff.

Here's another song/artist I like that has a lot of the same elements: Aggressive, harsh vocals with a less "produced" sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALxr1dTz68

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is probably incredibly broad, but I need more music in my life that is like the first three Elvis Costello albums.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

This is probably incredibly broad, but I need more music in my life that is like the first three Elvis Costello albums.

Try Ian Dury and the Blockheads, as well as the Jam

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Maybe try Gravediggas (first album), Dr Dooom, Tech N9ne, and Geto Boys.

If you like those, then you should look into more Horrorcore Hip-Hop.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since this is kindof on the topic, are there any recommendations for rap that isn't, for the lack of a better term, focused on toxic masculinity? That is to say, the lyrics don't talk about how they're the best rapper, how they're going to kick the rear end of people, etc. I like stuff like Aesop Rock and Del The Funky Homosapien, but couldn't get into Run the Jewels since the lyrics were such a turnoff for me. And it's a genre I have so little of to even know where else to go.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IUG posted:

Since this is kindof on the topic, are there any recommendations for rap that isn't, for the lack of a better term, focused on toxic masculinity? That is to say, the lyrics don't talk about how they're the best rapper, how they're going to kick the rear end of people, etc. I like stuff like Aesop Rock and Del The Funky Homosapien, but couldn't get into Run the Jewels since the lyrics were such a turnoff for me. And it's a genre I have so little of to even know where else to go.

Not to stereotype white rappers but pretty much any white dude on Rhymesayers fits the bill (except Brother Ali, who is very much a battle rapper). I also get why RTJ bothers you but El-P’s solo career isn’t really like that lyrically.

Most of these rappers and groups can be braggadocios but not as aggressively so. They’re all pretty highly respected as well:
Public Enemy
OutKast
Kendrick Lamar
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Earl Sweatshirt
The Pharcyde
Jurassic 5
Blackalicious
Cage

MF DOOM will certainly do what you’re bothered by but in the style of a comic book supervillain.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

MF DOOM will certainly do what you’re bothered by but in the style of a comic book supervillain.

That does peak my interest. I also have the entire Jurassic 5 discography. I'll try that list, although I hear "Hey Yeah" on the radio the other day and just laughed, I don't think I could take him seriously anymore. Too many high school memories.

I should also add that I'm really into P.O.S. and I'm trying to listen to a bit of everyone from Doomtree, but haven't started that yet.

EDIT: Ah, I tried MR Doom before, but as Danger Doom. I was immediately turned off by the Adult Swim tie-in nature of it, and never tried to seek out any more from them.

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 19, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IUG posted:

That does peak my interest. I also have the entire Jurassic 5 discography. I'll try that list, although I hear "Hey Yeah" on the radio the other day and just laughed, I don't think I could take him seriously anymore. Too many high school memories.

OutKast is a duo—one of the greatest of all time in fact—and Hey Ya sounds nothing like the rest of their catalog. Listen to Aquemini or Stankonia.

Off the top of my head Chance the Rapper might also interest you. There are also plenty of female rappers like Noname, Rapsody, Missy Elliott, Lauryn Hill...

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 19, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Off the top of my head Chance the Rapper might also interest you. There are also plenty of female rappers like Noname, Rapsody, Missy Elliott, Lauryn Hill...

I'd like to add Tierra Whack to that list.

Chance the Rapper's a good suggestion. Kid Cudi's first album is still good. Wale's cool too. Binary Star is a great duo, as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

IUG posted:

Here is a list to get you started. Some of it is braggadocious, but you will be hard pressed to find any classic hip-hop that doesn't have at least some of that. Rap was very competitive back in the day (still is to some degree) and that's why you hear a lot of that "i'm the best on the mic" type lyrics. But these artists definitely have diverse content:

Deltron 3030 (Del the Funky Homosapien and Dan the Automator)
Hieroglyphics
Souls of Mischief
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest
Masta Ace (new album A Breukelen Story is incredible)
The Fugees
The Pharcyde
Locksmith (check out his project with Apollo Brown)
Diamond District (In the Ruff album)
Little Brother (any of their albums)

If you have any questions, definitely let me know. Hip-hop is by far my favorite genre and I am always down to talk about it and share recommendations.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

IUG posted:

I am a really big fan of anything on the Slangcorp or Smoker’s Cough labels.

Type those in on Bandcamp.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I am looking for some more music like the links posted below, however, I already know about Crosses, Team Sleep, GUNSHIP, Carpenter Brut, and Dance with the Dead. Anything else you guys might have would be awesome!

Trevor Something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gWXe6Am73E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu4T-rLkvI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrV7B7mLDMQ

Thanks in advance, actually hope some of you enjoy the music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meridian posted:

So I am looking for some more music like the links posted below, however, I already know about Crosses, Team Sleep, GUNSHIP, Carpenter Brut, and Dance with the Dead. Anything else you guys might have would be awesome!

Lost Years for something on the chiller side of that spectrum. Fury Weekend is v. good if you like Dance with the Dead.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nordick posted:

Lost Years for something on the chiller side of that spectrum. Fury Weekend is v. good if you like Dance with the Dead.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Where to go with Irish folk after getting into the dubliners and where to go with latin american folk after gettting into buena vista social club?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Shikantaza posted:

Where to go with Irish folk after getting into the dubliners and where to go with latin american folk after gettting into buena vista social club?

If you're specifically interested in the song tradition Clancy Brothers and Planxty and their members' (particularly Christy Moore's) solo records are an obvious way to go. Other major Irish folk bands like Chieftains and Bothy Band focus on the instrumental jig tradition which is obviously quite different

BVSC have almost nothing to do with "latin american folk" as if such a thing existed so I don't really know what to answer

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016

Ras Het posted:

If you're specifically interested in the song tradition Clancy Brothers and Planxty and their members' (particularly Christy Moore's) solo records are an obvious way to go. Other major Irish folk bands like Chieftains and Bothy Band focus on the instrumental jig tradition which is obviously quite different

BVSC have almost nothing to do with "latin american folk" as if such a thing existed so I don't really know what to answer

thanks for the recs, I guess I just mean things that sound like BVSC then

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Shikantaza posted:

thanks for the recs, I guess I just mean things that sound like BVSC then

Well pretty much all of the guys involved put out a record or two after the craze the album created, so those (Ferrer, Gonzalez, Cachaito etc) and the Afro-Cuban All Stars record are a good place to start. If you really dig those then there's a really huge world of afro-cuban jazz for you to dig into, with interesting recordings stretching back to the 1920s

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i am looking for songs that drive. pretty upbeat tempo, and the bass is just chugging along. some examples

zeppelin - achilles last stand - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Rf1I9htJk
seger - hollywood nights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKcJEeV3Mo
stereolab - silver sands (emperor sands mix) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPpsGGddEw

yea, i know a lot of krautrock has this feel, and i know that genre pretty well, so still post 'em if you got 'em. also not looking for super fast punk even though that could kind of fit here.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

i am looking for songs that drive. pretty upbeat tempo, and the bass is just chugging along. some examples

stereolab - silver sands (emperor sands mix) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPpsGGddEw

yea, i know a lot of krautrock has this feel, and i know that genre pretty well, so still post 'em if you got 'em. also not looking for super fast punk even though that could kind of fit here.

Trans Am does the motorik thing pretty well, especially on Futureworld

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQesAxySfVg

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Abel Wingnut posted:

maybe these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSnbGXikYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIXrcH7QLU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Here's an assortment that I think is in that general concept of mostly repetitive bass at a moderately high tempo to make a "driving" feeling, across multiple styles so I expect you won't like all of these

Heart - Barracuda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOkQ6THDVw

ZZ Top - Just Got Paid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db94lyKYOcg

Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4javSsseS8

Billy Idol - White Wedding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZMTI

Talk Talk - Talk Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdADI3VmBew

Girls Generation - Sweet Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfToDcZZfnw

Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_-D5B7DIg

Electric Light Orchestra - Twilight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQyGbv0oZ8

Pizzicato Five - CDJ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_sYlhRLTV4

Seksu Roba - LA Freeway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srw64SLF8uM

The Stray Cats - Built For Speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWhlVF5d1o

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 1, 2019

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

i am looking for songs that drive. pretty upbeat tempo, and the bass is just chugging along.

Lots of Parquet Courts songs fit that

https://youtu.be/a5P1SzaJ3jk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Where should I start with Acid Mothers Temple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Abel Wingnut posted:

i am looking for songs that drive. pretty upbeat tempo, and the bass is just chugging along.

yea, i know a lot ofkrautrock has this feel, and i know that genre pretty well, so still post 'em if you got 'em. also not looking for super fast punk even though that could kind of fit here.

Have you heard our lord and saviour the jesus lizard?