Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Prince could do everything. Go watch Sign O the Times.

He stopped dancing as much after he hurt his hip and started taking painkillers and...well.

It's really hosed to consider that he's an opioid casualty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rooney Mara as Harley Quinn should be cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the Joker should strive to make the audience laugh. I always felt uncomfortable when I laughed at Jack Nicholson or even Mark Hamill.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Joker's just another mediocre white male comedian, disappointed that their tired politically incorrect schtick isn't getting the laughs it once did. Batman Beyond was the only Batman to notice that the Joker just wasn't funny.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The Joker's just another mediocre white male comedian, disappointed that their tired politically incorrect schtick isn't getting the laughs it once did. Batman Beyond was the only Batman to notice that the Joker just wasn't funny.

Joker's not a racist, that's what's so insane about this.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

it's funny but a fakepost

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really hosed to consider that he's an opioid casualty.

Reiterating, caused by the fact that his religion doesn't allow the blood transfusions he needed to get his surgery because of a dumb reading of the Bible saying "do not eat blood."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is funny but obviously fake because the movie takes place in the 70s or 80s.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is funny but obviously fake because the movie takes place in the 70s or 80s.

plus it was tweeted by a some random guy who straight up admitted he was fakeposting too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Daddy Thanos posted:

Yeah they should make this into a movie

Though the Joker version is more 'Life doesn't matter!'

I'm kinda surprised no one's rolled with the Joker actually being a clown in his origin story before, iirc.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently Disney still wants to release New Mutants this year.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Joker will kill himself at the end of the film

Had to chuckle at this because it seems like that kind-of movie from the trailer! I'm not on the hype train; Drew Magary sums up my reaction well:

Drew Magary posted:

I like not knowing anything about the Joker.

That trailer had some cool pre-Joker things in it (Joaquin laughing by himself in the subway car), but I sense that we're being forced to sympathize with a complete lunatic. Those shots of Phoenix on the ground crying seem way too loving saccharine. I'm sure Joaquin will nail the role though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Of these movies, only Tolkien looks any good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I said come in! posted:

Of these movies, only Tolkien looks any good.

I think Ad Astra and Ford v Ferrari have a shot at being good.

Also, I'm an idiot, so I'm still holding out some kind of hope that they haven't completely hosed with New Mutants.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
That Joker trailer looks like middlebrow trash. Leto as an ICP gangster wannabe reflects what the Joker actually is: a tryhard loser. Phoenix is going to class up the psychosexual pathos of a man pretending to be a clown to fight a man pretending to be a bat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

That Joker trailer looks like middlebrow trash. Leto as an ICP gangster wannabe reflects what the Joker actually is: a tryhard loser. Phoenix is going to class up the psychosexual pathos of a man pretending to be a clown to fight a man pretending to be a bat.

You should probably steer clear of appearing on late night TV shows hosted by Conan O'Brien sound-a-likes in the future, just as a friendly warning.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Oh, I know. I love the environment and love a good pro-environment message. Avatar, in my opinion, was so pro-environment they forgot to put a story or characters in there.

Avatar isn't about environmentalism, at least not primarily. The close relationship between the Na'vi and their planet serves to signify that they aren't Fallen in the biblical sense.

NTRabbit posted:

You should probably steer clear of appearing on late night TV shows hosted by Conan O'Brien sound-a-likes in the future, just as a friendly warning.

No clue what this means.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Not enough remakes and sequels here Disney.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
e: no this is in bad taste, here's a cat instead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We can have as many Jokers as we have Batmen.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Sure, but some Jokers indulge harmless male fantasies of getting money, being respected/feared, and dating a hot emo girl.

Other Jokers indulge harmful antisocial male fantasies of being a brooding renegade philosopher who no one understands.

There’s a direct causative line from this:

To this:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
being a brooding renegade philosopher who no one understands is cool and good, actually, it's the murder that's bad

exhibit a: zizek

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MoaM posted:

Had to chuckle at this because it seems like that kind-of movie from the trailer! I'm not on the hype train; Drew Magary sums up my reaction well:

That trailer had some cool pre-Joker things in it (Joaquin laughing by himself in the subway car), but I sense that we're being forced to sympathize with a complete lunatic. Those shots of Phoenix on the ground crying seem way too loving saccharine. I'm sure Joaquin will nail the role though.

My problem with people like you and this Drew person is that you’re so wrapped up and in love with CANON you can’t open your mind to different interpretations of characters from a medium that always changes things. You ruin things and lash out because a writer dares try something new.

Maybe there should be a tale of a Joker who is sympathetic.

How about you try new things and stop complaining when you get something other than a McDonalds cheeseburger combo.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i think trying to have the protagonist be a nuanced portrait of living with mental illness and also the joker is going to be a trainwreck

i'd be real suspicious of that trailer even if it wasn't about a mass-murdering licensed character

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Sure, but some Batmen indulge harmless male fantasies of getting money, being respected/feared, and dating a hot cat girl.

Other Batmen indulge harmful antisocial male fantasies of being a brooding renegade philosopher who no one understands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

i think trying to have the protagonist be a nuanced portrait of living with mental illness and also the joker is going to be a trainwreck

i'd be real suspicious of that trailer even if it wasn't about a mass-murdering licensed character

It's really looking more like the Paggliaci route than trying to be realistic or relatable

To be honest, Batman would work perfectly as an opera.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The MSJ posted:

Last I read they still hadn't done the reshoots, I am guessing it will be out on Disney+.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ouch, Dark Phoenix is gonna be Disney brand? That's... not good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/howbluetheanger/status/1113477363365498882

This is gonna end up with the Joker being the real hero

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fascist Wayne is to Blame, indeed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Disney Nature is pretty good usually so I hope Penguins is good

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

now yuo see

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably not its gonna be another "bane representing occupy" to paint any kind of leftists ideology or critique as being nothing more than a manipulation of the masses by some tyrannical psycho.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RE: DKRises - The left is just as susceptible to dangerous ideologues as the right. "Don't fall for rhetoric and watch who you are following" is a good message.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

RE: DKRises - The left is just as susceptible to dangerous ideologues as the right. "Don't fall for rhetoric and watch who you are following" is a good message.

Bane was 100% correct btw.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bane was 100% correct btw.

Bruce got a whole lot better once he was no longer a 1 percenter and the cops got better once they were forced to live as the underclass of society instead of being used as a tool to oppress them.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Darko posted:

Bruce got a whole lot better once he was no longer a 1 percenter and the cops got better once they were forced to live as the underclass of society instead of being used as a tool to oppress them.

They even accidentally stopped a rich energy heiress from blowing up all the poor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gatts posted:

Disney Nature is pretty good usually so I hope Penguins is good

I'll never forgive them for not using the song "Born To Be Wild" in their trailer for Born To Be Wild. It was the one time it would have been acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not a single Steppenwolf song in Justice League.