Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm not very good at this:

I'm working with the tools I have handy:

Good, and also, username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh neat! What's that from?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s from Dune.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

withak posted:

It’s from Dune.

It's from the what now?

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Schadenboner posted:

It's from the what now?

Doritos

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Only the Nacho Cheese kind, please! I don't like the Cool Ranch ones.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

It's from the what now?

go back to the 40k thread youre funnier there

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
tyvm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

go back to the 40k thread youre funnier there

I’m not funny anywhere, though?

:colbert:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has anyone noticed on the IMDB page for the Villeneuve film, there's a 'Stephen McKinley Harrison' listed in the cast but so far unnamed? I wonder who he's gonna play...

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

Has anyone noticed on the IMDB page for the Villeneuve film, there's a 'Stephen McKinley Harrison' listed in the cast but so far unnamed? I wonder who he's gonna play...

I'm guessing Hawat, and I'm guessing you're guessing the same

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Temaukel posted:

I'm guessing Hawat, and I'm guessing you're guessing the same

Wheels within wheels!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you see now my dear Feyd? shitposts withing shitposts within shitposts.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Oh neat! What's that from?

Herpes PSA.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Suk my Doc you Fre Man!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"My lord, I suspect so much. I think the Fremen are the allies we seek. They are strong, fierce. They do not give their loyalty easily or quickly. As you know, the Imperium has never been able to take a census of the Fremen. Everyone thinks that there are but few wandering here and there in the desert. My lord, I suspect an incredible secret has been kept on this planet, that the Fremen exist in vast numbers—vast—and it is they who control Arrakis."

"I don't know, Lloyd. The French are assholes."

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
just a reminder a year ago today(maybe) Colbert and Kyle Mclachlan had a DUNE nerd out on a national broadcast

starts at 1:45ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=witns6KSsfw

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A nerd question (surely not): to what extent is Dune to blame for the annoying sci-fi trope of each planet consisting of a single biome? Obviously Herbsy cared about ecology and was careful to give Arrakis distinct polar/temperate/equatorial zones, but later writers and film makers really seem to have run with the "desert planet" idea. And the water planet and the ice planet and the forest planet..... Can anyone more well-versed in nerd lore explain if this was a common thing in media before Dune came along?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think star wars is to blame. They even had urban planets.

When it comes to imagining biomes it's easier to copy those from earth, and it makes filming them easier too

Yet the idea of a desert planet or an ice planet is absolutely not ridiculous since every other planet of our solar system is pretty much a single landscape.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

City planet was a straight rip off Asimov's Trantor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek did it first I think.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sebmojo posted:

totes mcgotes

I'm re-reading the book now and the part where Jessica and Paul get ambushed by Stilgar's troop is honestly loving hilarious. The description of Jessica using the Weirding Way is so strange and vague that you're not really sure how she bested Stilgar, Stil is dropping mad disses on Jamis and going "Aiee-e-e-e!" while she's got him by the neck, and then he's just really stoked that she might teach him and his boys how to Weird.

I love the books but honestly, Frank's narration style is loving bizarre at times.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek did it first I think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(Asimov_novel)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

It's true but Asimov wasn't doing the whole single biome trope as far as I remember

Star trek might have been doing it but I don't know the show well. To me it seems they always only focus on local places so you can't know what the whole planet looks like.

I believe Star Wars was really the first to do "every inhabited planet is a single biome"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

City World

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And I'm pretty sure that just happened because Tattooine is Arrakis.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
BORED OF BARONS? LOST COUNT OF ALL YOUR COUNTS? THEN COME ON DOWN TO MAD MOHIAM'S DISCOUNT DUKES! WE'VE GOT SIGNETS, CASTLES, STUFFY UNIFORMS, ALL YOU NEED FOR LEADING THE LANSRAAD, OR JUST HANGING OUT IN YOUR OLD SEASIDE CASTLE.

OUR FIRST ONE HUNDRED CUSTOMERS TO PURCHASE A YOUNG LORD AND POTENTIAL KWISTAZ HADERACH WILL GET THE FATHER... FOR NOTHING!

SO COME ON DOWN TO MAD MOHIAM'S DISCOUNT DUKES (THAT'S MAD MOHIAM'S DISCOUNT DUKES!), PLANET NUMBER NINE IN THE WALLACH SYSTEM.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

cptn_dr posted:

And I'm pretty sure that just happened because Tattooine is Arrakis.

It happened because Georges Lucas is lazy. Sci-fi tropes from before (especially in comic books) had all kind of alien biomes with weird mushrooms and acid lakes etc. Arrakis was supposedly not a desert before the introduction of sandworms. Caladan is earth-like

Lucas shot Star Wars using the landscapes he could find on earth, and to avoid people thinking every planet is like earth he just made it so these planets where covered with a single biome (forest, desert, ice, sea)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair to Star Wars, we didn't see many terrestrial planets, and only a few were established as single biome. A desert one that was basically Dune, an ice one which is justifiable if a planet is a bit too far out of the Goldilocks Zone to have liquid water anywhere, and Endor's moon, which was apparently all forest but it was a tiny moon. Yavin or Degobah or the others might've had plenty of biomes. Naboo seemed to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 4, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The single-biome-planet thing in Star Wars is much, much more silly in the extended universe, as you might expect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Star Wars is much, much more silly in the extended universe, as you might expect.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

The single-biome-planet thing in Star Wars is much, much more silly in the extended universe, as you might expect.

Yeah the Florida Biome planet is weird as hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Star Wars expanded universe is weird because literally all of it is constantly unnecessarily aping the themes and trappings of the movies like single-biome planets and also single-gimmick races almost to the point of Star Trek's gangster planets and Roman planets, and every species seen doing a thing in a movie does only that thing all the time. And nearly all the characters and plots are obvious knockoffs of ones from the movies, there's like two or three Han Solo knockoffs with literally the same model of ship. (some of which double as Luke Skywalker knockoffs) From what I've heard, the new EU isn't any better. It was actually a shocking swerve to drop something like a Lovecraftian extradimensional abomination into the series just because it was something different. (the not-Zerg that basically took over the series later on weren't so well received)

I say Star Trek did the single-biome planet thing first mostly because of the abovementioned gangster planet and Roman planet and Nazi planet, since it's cheap to recycle props the studio already has sitting around. I'm not sure how far earlier you can go than that besides early Doctor Who and back into the days of pulp science fiction. But even stuff like Flash Gordon and John Carter of Mars tends to be more on the 'Planetary Romance' lines, where it's set mostly on a single alien planet which is gradually shown to have a variety of biomes and cultures. What else is there... comic books?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A planet inhabited by hack-fraud "writers".

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Dune's ecology is arguably a character with an arc in it's own right throughout the series, whereas Star Wars-tier sci-fi writing about desert planets gets you:

Anakin 'bitch boy' Skywalker posted:

I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Almost as if there are distinctions to be made between good and bad storytelling, independent of genre :thunk:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure how far earlier you can go than that besides early Doctor Who and back into the days of pulp science fiction.

Disused quarry planets are over-represented in BBC budget Sci-Fi!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
" In 1918, chemist and Nobel Prize winner Svante Arrhenius, deciding that Venus's cloud cover was necessarily water, decreed in The Destinies of the Stars that "A very great part of the surface of Venus is no doubt covered with swamps" and compared Venus' humidity to the tropical rain forests of the Congo."

Venus is the original Dagobah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Venus is definitely an entertaining case of assumptions from appearance going all the way back to antiquity turning out to be more amazingly wrong than anyone could have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venus is definitely an entertaining case of assumptions from appearance going all the way back to antiquity turning out to be more amazingly wrong than anyone could have guessed.

And it all made so much sense! Venus could be the lush, primitive, primordial world. Mars could be cold and ancient and filled with the lost secrets of a dying race. Earth of course is somewhere in between...
Still, I want my Venusian dinosaurs, dammit.

Mister Speaker posted:

totes mcgotes

I'm re-reading the book now and the part where Jessica and Paul get ambushed by Stilgar's troop is honestly loving hilarious. The description of Jessica using the Weirding Way is so strange and vague that you're not really sure how she bested Stilgar, Stil is dropping mad disses on Jamis and going "Aiee-e-e-e!" while she's got him by the neck, and then he's just really stoked that she might teach him and his boys how to Weird.

I love the books but honestly, Frank's narration style is loving bizarre at times.

The boy bested you! The woman bested me! But I bested you! Which means the woman could have bested you! You've all been bested! She is the bestedest.
All interspersed with the "don't move! aieee! I told you not to move!" bit repeated about seven times...

You know, after meeting my family members from noted arid hellhole Broken Hill, I'm pretty certain that desert-dwellers don't actually use insults like "sand-lice." They just sort of swear a lot. It sounds mostly like "yaarffnnarrkknncaahh."