Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Obligatum VII posted:

Given how a high forged enhancment iron weapon is pretty much one of the best weapons you can have outside of character specific overpowered unique weapons or certain edge cases, weapon ranks are not very important in Fates, in my opinion. I hope they work out the weapon balance a bit better in the next game so the silver weapons, etc. are not pretty much useless in player hands and terrifying in NPC ones.

I dunno, Steel is still perfectly usable, in my experience. -3 Attack Speed is pretty minor compared to some of the crippling penalties attached to other weapons (and they're C-rank, so Azura can still use one if you want). Aforementioned Silver weapons, for example, which reduce your damage and Skill by 2 when used (and the penalties from them stack, which really kills them). Or really, LITERALLY EVERY WEAPON above C-rank; I checked, and everything above a C-rank has some crippling defect vastly outweighing the few extra points of attack power they give, thus making them actively detrimental to the player no matter who uses them. After all, the enemy only has to use them once, while the protagonists have to fight through entire maps which invariably outnumber them, so you have to preserve your units' ability to function as long as possible.

TLDR: Agreed on the high-rank weapons being useless at best in Fates. Seriously, I can understand the idea of "give them a drawback so players don't just use Brave weapons exclusively as soon as they become available" but they went WAY overboard with them! I preferred the old "limited usage" system (forcing the player to ration their best weapons lest they break at inopportune moments) to THIS crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

Reclassing Azura is both really stupid and really awesome, so I recommend that Kuvo does it

Vicas, hack Kuvo's game and give him infinite reclass seals.

Turn everyone into Maids.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Where's Rumsfeld damnit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 13.5 - The Will to Power

lets see how long this stays up on youtube

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

In retrospect, it was probably for the best that things didn't reach the beach episode.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
chat leak

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta say, I agree with Junior and getting 13 different emulators instead of the One Ring To Rule Them All.

I hate retroarch and just use the stand alone things all the time.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

OpenEmu is fantastic. I just wish it wasn't Man only

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Going back a little bit, Hinata is perfectly serviceable if promoted immediately. As a Master of Arms he can help carry the next 3 chapters and later provides a Str and Def pair up which much of the Birthright crew desperately needs. Also he has Oni Savage as his secondary class which suits his bases and growths much better. If you try to use him as a samurai glass cannon, you will be disappointed.

My favorite thing to do with Rinkah is to stack Seal skills on her and turn her into a Master Ninja for ultimate de-buffing. She can get 3 through Oni and friendship with Oboro; you can grab a fourth through marriage with Hinata. It takes a crap of investment but is hilarious in endgame.

There's nothing good about Subaki other than the free weapon from his daughter. If his strength and defense are blessed he can be a flying wall but there are always superior options.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Even bad flyers are serviceable because of their mobility. However Birthright normal is easy enough that it doesn't matter what units you use.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Even bad flyers are serviceable because of their mobility. However Birthright normal is easy enough that it doesn't matter what units you use.

This is true, but you're given 3 awesome flyers by midgame and one capturable boss who's just as good. That fourth flyer just falls by the wayside. His best chapters are 8 and 11, and 11 only counts if you've been training him consistently in between.

Hell, his daughter at base if immediately recruited after Chapter 7 has better relevant bases and comes with a reaver. And I love Subaki; I've taken him to endgame in Lunatic. Objectively, he sucks.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

daermon posted:

This is true, but you're given 3 awesome flyers by midgame and one capturable boss who's just as good. That fourth flyer just falls by the wayside. His best chapters are 8 and 11, and 11 only counts if you've been training him consistently in between.

Hell, his daughter at base if immediately recruited after Chapter 7 has better relevant bases and comes with a reaver. And I love Subaki; I've taken him to endgame in Lunatic. Objectively, he sucks.

Oh I'm not arguing, Subaki absolutely sucks rear end. This is more advice on Fire Emblem in general. Fates has amazing Fliers in all of the routes so that's not a worry at all.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

daermon posted:

Going back a little bit, Hinata is perfectly serviceable if promoted immediately. As a Master of Arms he can help carry the next 3 chapters and later provides a Str and Def pair up which much of the Birthright crew desperately needs.

I have this tab right next to the Danganronpa tab and for a second I was so confused.

I've never played any FE games, but I'm curious about something - do they tend to be more about figuring out how to optimize your team to deal with the specific challenges the game is going to throw at you, or is it more customizable to play style (i.e. if you want to use lots of ranged units, you need to build in this direction)?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it really depends on the game and the difficulty level. Honestly, normal mode birthright is easy enough that you could get away with using whoever you wanted in whatever dumb meme class you felt like.

generally speaking though you want a combination of different classes to deal with different threats, and in most games archers are weak enough that "focusing on ranged units" would effectively mean mages only

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Archers in Fire Emblem usually suck because they can't counter in melee. So they are pretty much useless half the time.

There are some exceptions to the rule (this game in particular has the strongest Archer in the series) but generally archers just aren't worth training.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Kangra posted:

I have this tab right next to the Danganronpa tab and for a second I was so confused.

I've never played any FE games, but I'm curious about something - do they tend to be more about figuring out how to optimize your team to deal with the specific challenges the game is going to throw at you, or is it more customizable to play style (i.e. if you want to use lots of ranged units, you need to build in this direction)?

Mostly the optimization, from my admittedly limited experience with the games. Also, the "lots of ranged units" thing tends to be a bad idea, for multiple reasons: The most common ranged weapon in the series is bows (which have a minimum range in almost all cases, and you'd better believe the enemies exploit that whenever possible), with magic being second place (and casters tend to be fragile). Throwing variants of other weapons, meanwhile, tend to be hard to come by, relatively expensive for their strength, and extremely limited in usage, and I'm pretty sure Sword-type throwing weapons are a relatively recent addition to the series so if you're Sword-locked you're generally screwed on that front. Finally, non-tome weapon variants that cast spells tend to do pathetic damage due to the fact that if you're supposed to use a physical weapon then your Magic is probably pretty low (if you have one in the first place) in addition to aforementioned limited usage.

But anyway, the optimization. As proven by the likes of Subaki and Hinata (with their completely unsuitable growths for their respective classes), some units are just objectively better than others, gradually encouraging the player to discard the ones that become obsolete in favor of new recruits with more suitable stats. In addition, even if all your characters' stats are up to date, some of them will definitely do better against specific enemies than others, usually due to either the Weapon Triangle mechanic (all else being equal, a Sword-user will beat an Axe-user more often than not) or due to targeting a defensive stat the enemy is bad in (Knights are hard to kill physically even with triangle advantage due to their enormous Defense stat, but are nearly hard-countered by mages due to low Resistance). Complicating this is that certain weapons get massive damage bonuses when used on a specific category of unit (Wyrmslayers kill Wyvern Riders and Manaketes extremely efficiently, Hammers hit Knights so hard that they largely bypass their Defense, and Pegasus Knights are almost guaranteed to die when attacked with a bow of any description).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kangra posted:

More the first.

That's not really a situation that gets solved by a bunch of one class. Though it's probably more doable in Fates compared to other ones because the weapons never break. So if you can happen upon on crit boosting one or a reverse Weapon triangle one you could take on people who should have a natural advantage on you.

Hopefully the Switch version remembers the weird situations of the Ike games so protecting civilians or defending a spot or just more than capture throne/ defeat all enimes as goals come back.

Granted, that doesn't diminish the power of wood in the games though.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 3, 2019

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The magic weapons are pretty gimmicky in the GBA and Tellius games. Every other game they exist in they are OP as gently caress. Especially in Fates.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Archers in Fire Emblem usually suck because they can't counter in melee. So they are pretty much useless half the time.

There are some exceptions to the rule (this game in particular has the strongest Archer in the series) but generally archers just aren't worth training.

A notable exception is Radiant Dawn, which had STUPIDLY overpowered archers, especially endgame where you could get a bow that not only could hit in melee range but had a range of 3 meaning that literally no enemy unit could counter you, including endgame bosses. If I'm remembering right you didn't even need the ultimate bow for that, they just automatically got a 3 tile range once they hit the class change.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frog:video games video :frog:
Ep 14 - Land of Gods (part 3)

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

A notable exception is Radiant Dawn, which had STUPIDLY overpowered archers, especially endgame where you could get a bow that not only could hit in melee range but had a range of 3 meaning that literally no enemy unit could counter you, including endgame bosses. If I'm remembering right you didn't even need the ultimate bow for that, they just automatically got a 3 tile range once they hit the class change.

Yeah, the tier 3 classes added in Radiant Dawn were almost all hilariously overpowered, and Shinon in particular was a bonkers Marksman who could nearly solo maps if not for the fact he wasn't *quite* as bonkers as Haar or Ike.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I decided to play along with this LP, except I would only use Corrin Chome and only use auto-battle.

I have since discovered that the auto-battle AI never switches your weapons, no matter the circumstances.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Probably should've said this earlier, but Hinoka's retainers... well, let's go one-by-one, shall we?

Azama is a rare instance of having wonky base growth rates that actually make him MORE effective: He's got 55% HP, 50% Str, 20% Mag, 40% Skl, 45% Spd, 40% Luck, 40% Def, and 20% Res. As you might expect, this tends to make him a fantastically effective physical combatant. Comparing him with Sakura... she gets 45% HP, 30% Str, 50% Mag, 40% Skl, 40% Spd, 55% Luck, 30% Def, and 20% Res, so, on average, while she's weaker physically, she's far better as a pure caster.

Setsuna, on the other hand, is utter, irredeemable GARBAGE. 30% HP, 20% Str, 0% Mag, 30% Skl, 60% Spd, 30% Luck, 15% Def, 40% Res. The Speed and Resistance make her okay at tanking enemy mages, but she's otherwise terrible in every aspect, including having the second-worst Strength growth out of ALL physical-locked characters in all three routes and no Magic growth at all! In fact, she's got even less Strength growth than some MAGES, which is particularly damning. In all, I feel that, while Subaki and Hinata are both non-viable long-term, they are, if nothing else, better than Setsuna in that they are, at least temporarily, USABLE (and somewhat less completely-overshadowed by their competition); Setsuna, on the other hand, is an active liability due to her complete inability to do any damage to anything. And no, I'm not exaggerating here, I fully expect that the only thing she'll even be capable of damaging by endgame will be Sky Knights (due to their weakness to bows) because she never gains any Strength. Frankly, if I want an archer, I'd use a generic over her, and I don't even use male generics (again, I am unrepentant). Otherwise, I would literally prefer an empty slot to deploying her.

Believe it or not, Oni Savages can actually get Tomes as a weapon choice through promotion. Which is not to say Rinkah's any GOOD with them (though the class itself gives a surprisingly high boost to Mag growth), but she can use them, at least.

I feel like all this insistence that certain characters are adults (or rather, the lack of people contradicting them) was primarily caused by censorship, since most of them seem to be in their early teens at the oldest. Well, either that or they're going for a different definition of "adult," but that's not the kind of thing we should be discussing so let's just practice being exasperated at the "she's over 18, honest, what do you mean she looks like she's 8, she's totally an adult" cliche.

I think it's worthwhile to keep at least a few E-rank weapons of each type around, if only to teach units how to use a new weapon as needed. Not exactly my place to tell you how to play, though.

...and I'm calming down a bit now that you're doing the Paralogue, even though I still think you should've done it sooner.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: side quest thingy
Ep 15 - Paralogue 1 - Tragic Start

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I cannot express how awesome it is that dvac is doing matchmaking using FFT rules

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm guessing half of Mozu's dialogue will include the words 'family' and/or 'safe'.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

inthesto posted:

I cannot express how awesome it is that dvac is doing matchmaking using FFT rules

Honestly, the shipping talk is my favorite part of this LP.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Is Chome actually able to use that dragonstone he has been lugging around for several battles to go unholy water deer/dragon amalgamation mode again yet or is it still story-locked?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
To be fair to Mozu's Generic Japan-esque Village, most small villages wouldn't have much of a militia to speak of, largely due to being small villages and thus not having many people to draw said militia from. The size of the military is directly proportionate to the population of the area it's drawn from, after all.

Orochi does strike me as the type of person who'd drink a lot of booze... what, you didn't mean that kind of "spirits?" :cheeky:

As I'm pretty sure was already mentioned: Pair Up was, indeed, nerfed for Fates. Quite heavily, in fact, perhaps even to the point of its primary purpose being having a faster character carry someone slow elsewhere. Granted, Pair Up was kind of broken in Awakening, but they still might've gone a little too far, IMO.

The person who heals allies by proximity is apparently Azura. I looked it up.

Another same-class comparison! Orochi is a pure mage with extremely low physical stats (35% HP, 5% Str, 65% Mag, 50 Skl, 15% Spd, 35% Luck, 25% Def, 45% Res), while Hayato is fairly balanced, albeit with a slight inclination toward Magic (50% HP, 30% Str, 40% Mag, 30% Skl, 45% Spd, 60% Luck, 40% Def, 20% Res). Both have their uses, but Hayato's probably the better unit long-term due to Orochi's abysmal Speed.

Faceless are rarely a threat to anyone without a significant level advantage. They're kind of the "generic, throwaway filler enemy" of the game, like Awakening's Revenant.

Since Awakening, Villagers don't actually level any more than anyone else. What they DO get, however, is Aptitude, which makes their levels better by giving them (in this case) +10% to all growth rates. Mozu's unmodified growths, incidentally, are 30% HP, 40% Str, 5% Mag, 50% Skl, 55% Spd, 45% Luck, 35% Def, and 30% Res. Kind of unimpressive, really, but still workable.

Disturbingly, Setsuna's English voice acting is accurate to the Japanese version; she talked slowly and seemed more than a little dim there, too.

Blood types are not listed because there is no blood in this game; everyone has pure liquid stupidity running through their veins.

Calihan posted:

Is Chome actually able to use that dragonstone he has been lugging around for several battles to go unholy water deer/dragon amalgamation mode again yet or is it still story-locked?

Yes, he can; the players just haven't used it yet (and, to be fair, dragonstones are pretty terrible in this game, especially for Chome since he's got a Magic penalty and they're considered magic weapons).

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

CptWedgie posted:

Yes, he can; the players just haven't used it yet (and, to be fair, dragonstones are pretty terrible in this game, especially for Chome since he's got a Magic penalty and they're considered magic weapons).

Gotta disagree with this. The Dragonstone is very handy on the higher difficulties; mostly in the early game but still has uses later as well. You can't double enemies with it but it gives you +4 Defense and +3 Resistance. Combine that with a defensive pair-up and you can just leave Chome alone to tank half the map while your other units go do other poo poo.

Plus the Dragonstone has a MT of 14, 6 points higher than the Yato so the fact that it uses magic really doesn't matter so much if it's an enemy you can't double anyway.

Not being able to double sucks so by the late game it stops being really good, but you can use it soften up enemies that you want to feed to weaker units or you can switch to it if you need to tank a specific hit. So it still has it's uses.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 9, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kuvo posted:

:frogsiren: side quest thingy
Ep 15 - Paralogue 1 - Tragic Start

inthesto posted:

Since dvac mentioned splitting up the army along gender lines:
There's no problem with people getting points with anyone outside of the optimal-dvac-approved ships, relationships only progress once you have the support conversation.

So you can have someone with multiple S-ranks ready to be activated (as might be the case with for example Chome.), but much like quantum physics, their relationship only collapses and becomes a romance once you observe it happening.

And honestly, you should just be trying to get as many points as possible, with as many people as possible, to increase the amount of conversations you have to go through.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, I don't know how this is set up on Kuvo's end but when you're in the base the (Start) button brings up the buildings and castle set up etc, while the (X) button brings up the inventory support and skills menu.

I don't know which button is set to what for you or how many episodes you've already got recorded but you can do pretty much all of your army management except for pairing people up before you're on the battle screen.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gotta disagree with this. The Dragonstone is very handy on the higher difficulties; mostly in the early game but still has uses later as well. You can't double enemies with it but it gives you +4 Defense and +3 Resistance. Combine that with a defensive pair-up and you can just leave Chome alone to tank half the map while your other units go do other poo poo.

Plus the Dragonstone has a MT of 14, 6 points higher than the Yato so the fact that it uses magic really doesn't matter so much if it's an enemy you can't double anyway.

Not being able to double sucks so by the late game it stops being really good, but you can use it soften up enemies that you want to feed to weaker units or you can switch to it if you need to tank a specific hit. So it still has it's uses.

My primary issue with it, other than the built-in inability to double, is that it gives -2 Speed. I mean, +4 Defense and +3 Resistance don't help nearly as much when equipping a rock means you get doubled. I'm probably being overdramatic here, but still- it's a situation that could conceivably happen, and therefore I feel the player must take precautions to prevent said scenario from happening; if that means "never use the rock" then so be it.

Further insight into my opinion on this matter: If your stat bonus is Strength, it's probably sufficiently higher that Yato outdamages Dragonstones anyway, save outlier cases like Knights (in which case why aren't you using Tomes or an anti-armor weapon instead?). If it's Magic, you're probably gonna switch to a class with Tome access (assuming lack of access to magic weapons) to fully exploit that instead of using a Dragonstone most of the time. And if it's neither, or you penalize anything besides the other of the above-listed stats, you're probably doing it wrong.

Apologies if any of those opinions are offensive to you; these are simply my opinions (strongly-stated though they may be) and I fully acknowledge that others may prefer playing some other way.

I'm also more than a little displeased that the devs decided to give the player character a permanent, unavoidable weakness to anti-dragon weapons without even giving them anything particularly good to show for it, but that's largely unrelated to how badly Dragonstones have been nerfed compared to Awakening (though admittedly Awakening was a very broken game).

RareAcumen posted:

Also, I don't know how this is set up on Kuvo's end but when you're in the base the (Start) button brings up the buildings and castle set up etc, while the (X) button brings up the inventory support and skills menu.

I don't know which button is set to what for you or how many episodes you've already got recorded but you can do pretty much all of your army management except for pairing people up before you're on the battle screen.

I wanted to say something about this, but couldn't remember which button it was.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

we're two or three sessions ahead of where the videos are and we've mostly streamlined the experience into "base" episodes and "tactics" episodes now so you can have your pick of dumb anime bull poo poo or bad tactics gameplay

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

we're two or three sessions ahead of where the videos are and we've mostly streamlined the experience into "base" episodes and "tactics" episodes now so you can have your pick of dumb anime bull poo poo or bad tactics gameplay

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm sad my boy Kaze is kinda getting a bad rap but also the LP is reminding me that whoever wrote the supports gave him that incredibly obnoxious character trope of "the clueless woman magnet." (not really a spoiler i guess but i'm being safe) Because I remember he got some backstory at some point in the main game that explains why he's so socially withdrawn. Except this game has three versions and I don't remember if they covered it here or elsewhere.

on a kinda related note, I've heard this game's main story was written by a totally different team of writers than the one that handled the support conversations?? I know there were at least 10 writers altogether but does anyone know if that specifically is true, because on one hand it sounds like it could be angry internet gamer bullshit, but on the other hand it would explain some things about the... quality control at points

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

you can have your pick of dumb anime bull poo poo or bad tactics gameplay

im here for both

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

melodicwaffle posted:

on a kinda related note, I've heard this game's main story was written by a totally different team of writers than the one that handled the support conversations?? I know there were at least 10 writers altogether but does anyone know if that specifically is true, because on one hand it sounds like it could be angry internet gamer bullshit, but on the other hand it would explain some things about the... quality control at points

At least thirty writers across three different teams. If I recall correctly the support team also got the job of writing Revelations when they decided to do that.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

CptWedgie posted:

Apologies if any of those opinions are offensive to you; these are simply my opinions (strongly-stated though they may be) and I fully acknowledge that others may prefer playing some other way.

Hey no hard feeling here dude. I never said the Dragonstone was great just that it has it's uses at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Argent Cinereus posted:

At least thirty writers across three different teams.

oh god it's even worse than i expected :psyduck:

quote:

If I recall correctly the support team also got the job of writing Revelations when they decided to do that.

aaaaaaaa