Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Might get this game... can I be part of the holy nation and convert heathens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Don't ever listen to anyone who tells you that you can't do something

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I don't see why you couldn't.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Might need the prisoner recruitment mod though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Oh yeah.

There's plenty of mods to flesh out the Holy Nation, I'm not using any of them but they might be worth it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can start a holy war and help them win it, I guess.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny enough, I just started my new settlement in Okran’s Gift

...with six skeletons :grin:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paranoid Peanut posted:

By convert heathens, you can kidnap non white people and drop them off as slaves so they might work to death and by doing so be reincarnated as a white Okranite.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

zedprime posted:

By convert heathens, you can kidnap non white people and drop them off as slaves so they might work to death and by doing so be reincarnated as a white Okranite.

Hey, hey

Black people can also get in on the brutal theocracy, it's not exclusively white

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Scorchlanders in the Holy Nation seem like poor people in the United Cities. We might not enslave the scorchlanders today, and we might not hunt the poor person today, but that's mostly because we are busy with something else today.

Tan greenlanders don't count.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

zedprime posted:

Scorchlanders in the Holy Nation seem like poor people in the United Cities. We might not enslave the scorchlanders today, and we might not hunt the poor person today, but that's mostly because we are busy with something else today.

Tan greenlanders don't count.

Are you sure about this? As far as I can see in the FCS, none of their lines make any real distinction between Scorchlanders and Greenlanders, since it only qualifies humans.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mentioned it before, but I vaguely remember getting "we don't want your kind here" chatter from shopkeepers whenever I play a subrace of human that isn't Greenlanders. It might be connected to very slightly negative reputations, though? Now that I think about it, I'm really not sure.

They won't attack you and/or try to enslave you, though, that's definite.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

I mentioned it before, but I vaguely remember getting "we don't want your kind here" chatter from shopkeepers whenever I play a subrace of human that isn't Greenlanders. It might be connected to very slightly negative reputations, though? Now that I think about it, I'm really not sure.

They won't attack you and/or try to enslave you, though, that's definite.

I remember discussion about this before, but someone better at the FCS than I am claimed to have checked it and couldn't find anything that differentiates Scorchlanders from Greenlanders in HN dialogue, since it only references humans, which Scorchlanders are.

I could be wrong, since while I couldn't find much, I'm really not great with the FCS.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Blade Runner posted:

Are you sure about this? As far as I can see in the FCS, none of their lines make any real distinction between Scorchlanders and Greenlanders, since it only qualifies humans.

There's no distinction in dialogue, true, but due to the fact that all their soldiers and high ranking officers are male greenlanders it's entirely possible that the HN may be prejudiced against scorchlanders.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blade Runner posted:

I remember discussion about this before, but someone better at the FCS than I am claimed to have checked it and couldn't find anything that differentiates Scorchlanders from Greenlanders in HN dialogue, since it only references humans, which Scorchlanders are.

I could be wrong, since while I couldn't find much, I'm really not great with the FCS.
Yeah I googled it and probably read the same thing you're talking about, most of the important checks are same race and male.

I think it's community propaganda/confusion about the obtuse criminal system combined with the higher ups being greenlanders that lead to the community figuring they hated scorchlanders.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Ooh tingly" indeed.

Blade Runner posted:

It's not dialogue, per se, it's in little floating text lines you get from NPCs sometimes. I'm not sure that would be in the same category where you find the dialogue trees, but since I can't find it either, I guess I might be misremembering the details.

That said, I've never been stupid enough to try and get into a HN town as anything but a human. It has to be coming from somewhere, but I admit I'm not sure from what.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've never had a problem as a scorchlander in HN towns. Not even dialogue.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Babe Magnet posted:

Venge is a pretty pro place because that means you'll occasionally crest a hill to see a random clown get toasted by a wandering death lazer and that's a real good mental image. "The Big Top" is what I actually settled on for a name for Clown Town (their leader is the Ringmaster obv.), I'll see how difficult it would be to go in and edit some textures to make it look really sloppily painted.

As for lore-books, that's actually one of the easier things to add. Just pick an icon in the FCS and write in a bunch of text for the item's description.

Clown Lore History right now is that once upon a time, long past, being a Clown was a noble profession and everyone loved them, but it came at a terrible cost: to fully embrace Clownitude, you had to be genetically modified to remove the limiters on your natural Mirth. This practice spiraled out of control, and created abominations, so the entire Clown population had to be culled by the Skeletons, who are immune to the effects of Mirth. Thus began the Skeleton/Clown Turbo-War, which the Skeletons won super hard.

And the first clown - the one to inspire them all - fell from space riding a burning metal comet. There is a holy relic from said comet that is a hunk of burnt plating with the inscription "n 13" engraved on it in fairly precise, machined lettering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Haha, so it wasn't just me who thought of that.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think I remember some dialogue about scorchlanders being considered second class citizens when I brought someone into the holy lands for the first time but I can't remember whose line it was. It doesn't seem to have any gameplay effect though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Starting as a Scorchlander in Rebirth, one of the guards was fond of referring to me as a "blackened woman", but I don't know whether that's metaphorical sexism or literal racism.

Now I have a gang of six (Four scorchlander women, Beep, and another hiver called Irdat who doesn't gently caress around even a little bit) and after everyone is kicking rear end with martial arts they're each going to master one weapon skill.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ms Adequate posted:

Starting as a Scorchlander in Rebirth, one of the guards was fond of referring to me as a "blackened woman", but I don't know whether that's metaphorical sexism or literal racism.

Now I have a gang of six (Four scorchlander women, Beep, and another hiver called Irdat who doesn't gently caress around even a little bit) and after everyone is kicking rear end with martial arts they're each going to master one weapon skill.

"Blackened" is just a general term they use, it's not specific to Scorchlanders.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they call the outside world "black and poisoned." Blackened is to be read as tainted by evil/the nonhumans here, I think.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I thought Narko was a black woman, but i guess she was just a woman.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I know that in certain circumstances like recruiting, aka only being able to get Kang if you use Ruka or another Shek to talk, it matters. But I'm pretty sure most of the game doesnt take into account what character you are using to talk and just references your first character of the save game.
Many times I have had vendors and towns folk refer to Ruka as flatskin or other things since I leave my main at home and use Ruka for footwork.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Boy since that update yesterday Kenshi sure has got crashy, this is like playing Paradox games a decade+ ago. :negative:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Boy since that update yesterday Kenshi sure has got crashy, this is like playing Paradox games a decade+ ago. :negative:
Here's a link that explains how to force a Steam game to downgrade to a previous version. Haven't tried it myself, but I hope it helps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh, hah, I do actually know how to do that, but I'm just too dumb to remember it can be done :v: Thanks though!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Please don't tell me I need to import after the update :saddowns:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you check 'preserve dead npcs' and 'preserve faction relations' and 'preserve buildings' or whatever the option is called, there's zero reason not to reset, it saves your exact world state and it refills all the looted ancient labs and ruins with ai cores and science books.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you check 'preserve dead npcs' and 'preserve faction relations' and 'preserve buildings' or whatever the option is called, there's zero reason not to reset, it saves your exact world state and it refills all the looted ancient labs and ruins with ai cores and science books.

I may have captured a special prisoner that I haven't decided the fate on. Do jail cells empty out on an import?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ah, yeah if they're in your base they do. The new patch shouldn't require an import though, I dont think

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what specific armour should i be wearing if i want to murder beak things? i want to settle Gut!!

but i also don't want to have to buy tons of high-level insanely expensive heavy armour, so

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ah, yeah if they're in your base they do. The new patch shouldn't require an import though, I dont think

:yeshaha:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what specific armour should i be wearing if i want to murder beak things? i want to settle Gut!!

but i also don't want to have to buy tons of high-level insanely expensive heavy armour, so

Beak Things combat will rely more on your weapons than armor. Even with no armor, the secret is that you can actually micro your characters out of the way of beak attacks because the wind-up is so slow. Get four dudes, surround it from each of the cardinal directions, move whoever is being targeted while the other three attack. Alternatively, easy mode is to assign one melee unit to each beak thing and to do the movement micro while a million crossbowmen shoot it to death

sicking too many people on a beak thing will cause them to be hit by AoE because the AI in Kenshi won't try to block/dodge any attacks not targeting them, so big AoE attacks are devastating for both players and enemies that clump up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the AI in Kenshi won't try to block/dodge any attacks not targeting them, so big AoE attacks are devastating for both players and enemies that clump up.

Ha, I never knew this, and in hindsight it is probably the only thing you need to know about melee strategy in Kenshi

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the best way to deal AoE damage? I can't find any old-world explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the best way to deal AoE damage? I can't find any old-world explosives.

A pack bull