Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

You don't see this on the desktop?

This is how I do it. All roads lead to iCloud mail for my various email accounts.

You can also set up multiple smtp accounts to send email from Mail.app. Just select the "from" address you want to use in the picker box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Proteus Jones posted:

This is how I do it. All roads lead to iCloud mail for my various email accounts.

You can also set up multiple smtp accounts to send email from Mail.app. Just select the "from" address you want to use in the picker box.

Honest question: Why? I don't understand using icloud email as your mail hole.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You don't see this on the desktop?

Nope, just links asking me to define either an app or a service to forward to, both leading to a google faq saying that I should put an address down where I want mail to be forwarded to. The “desktop” version accessed from a phone browser looks like gmail circa 2008 too but it’s the only way to access the settings on a phone since the new flashy mobile gmail page has like two settings and that’s it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XBenedict posted:

Honest question: Why? I don't understand using icloud email as your mail hole.

Because ultimately it's arbitrary and works well enough for me? But mostly because I prefer to keep my interactions with Google to be as minimal as possible and have for years.

I mean, I use email to send and receive messages and that's it. I don't use it to organize or archive information. I have a completely different application that can archive any message (or message chain) I want at a click of the button.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want to do it because notifications break constantly in the app I normally use (Edison) and their support wanted me to send them all the addresses I’m not getting notifications for, which is all of them and I’m not going to give them that information. I want to use Mail.app but it doesn’t do push notifications for gmail so I want to use my iCloud instead and have gmail forwarded to it.

But apparently you absolutely can’t do it on your phone which is all I have now since my PC poo poo the bed. Thanks google.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can you go to a library and log into Gmail?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are none near me and logging into anything on a public computer is a bit sketchy. I appreciate the help, it’s not a super crucial thing, just very dumb you can’t do it on your phone.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
did marco/overcast nuke their syncs/backups in the last 2 weeks?

i had my phone replaced 2 weeks ago when apple couldn't repair my original 6s, and everything came up fine from the backup. but today when i got a replacement for the replacement (due to the screen glue failing), i restored from a backup and overcast didn't load up my profile or sync any of my podcasts. the website says that the email doesn't exist even though i have an entry for it on the keychain...?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Phone posted:

i had my phone replaced 2 weeks ago when apple couldn't repair my original 6s, and everything came up fine from the backup. but today when i got a replacement for the replacement (due to the screen glue failing), i restored from a backup and overcast didn't load up my profile or sync any of my podcasts. the website says that the email doesn't exist even though i have an entry for it on the keychain...?

I haven't had an issue with Overcast restoring a backup or anything of that sort.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stare-Out posted:

Nope, just links asking me to define either an app or a service to forward to, both leading to a google faq saying that I should put an address down where I want mail to be forwarded to. The “desktop” version accessed from a phone browser looks like gmail circa 2008 too but it’s the only way to access the settings on a phone since the new flashy mobile gmail page has like two settings and that’s it.

Stare-Out posted:

[...]

But apparently you absolutely can’t do it on your phone which is all I have now since my PC poo poo the bed. Thanks google.

So you don’t see this either?

On my primary gmail account I already had a forwarding email defined here but on my spam account (not linked to any other email) there’s an option to add an email here. I added one and it just sends it an email so I can confirm it’s my email.

E:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 2, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So you don’t see this either?

On my primary gmail account I already had a forwarding email defined here but on my spam account (not linked to any other email) there’s an option to add an email here. I added one and it just sends it an email so I can confirm it’s my email.

E:

Holy hell. How did I miss that it’s at the top? Man I’m dumb, I thought it should be where the two links are at the bottom. Thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Phone posted:

Did you do the thing where you removed your account? I don’t remember how it works, but last time I used overcast it had the option to remove your email address from your subscription? Maybe it uses your device ID or something?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is an ES100 a bad investment for use as both a DAC on my Desktop and for making IEMS wireless when I'm at work/around town? Was thinking of picking up some Tin T3s, and if it's going to be good for both those use cases with whatever headphones I might buy, it seems like a better investment than a bluetooth cable.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is an ES100 a bad investment for use as both a DAC on my Desktop and for making IEMS wireless when I'm at work/around town? Was thinking of picking up some Tin T3s, and if it's going to be good for both those use cases with whatever headphones I might buy, it seems like a better investment than a bluetooth cable.

No. The ES100 is a fine piece of technology. If you are on a budget, the Fiio BTR3 is almost as good, and a little cheaper. It has some quirks, and it loses a little range over BT, but then so does everything else.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Is there a good alternative to Google inbox now that they've killed it off. They said the gmail app would have all the features. but of course it doesn't on top of having ads disguised as emails.

I liked basically the auto categorize (without me having to set up 1001 filters )and swiping to archive.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

How in the hell did I post this in the wrong thread and no one gave me poo poo for it

EDIT: thanks for the helpful reply XBenedict

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Shuffle posted:

Is there a good alternative to Google inbox now that they've killed it off. They said the gmail app would have all the features. but of course it doesn't on top of having ads disguised as emails.

I liked basically the auto categorize (without me having to set up 1001 filters )and swiping to archive.

Edison mail does a neat version of that.

Edit: Forgot the link

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Shuffle posted:

I'm trying out Spark. It bundles some stuff, but there doesn't seem to be a quick way to archive everything not pinned which is a bummer.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Shuffle posted:

wait, what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

wait, what?

The gmail app has ads at the top that are the same shape / size as emails and they kinda look like emails.

Like this

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The gmail app has ads at the top that are the same shape / size as emails and they kinda look like emails.

Like this

Mine has never once shown me an ad, let alone a stealth email-styled ad. And I’ve been using the Gmail app for years...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Froist posted:

Mine has never once shown me an ad, let alone a stealth email-styled ad. And I’ve been using the Gmail app for years...

Ditto. That's why I was so confused :confused:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I’ve also never seen these. What the hell...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it's only if you use the automatic categories tabs. The ads show up on the promotions tab.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

101 posted:

Ditto. That's why I was so confused :confused:

Do you have a free account or a GSuites account? GSuites doesn't show the ads.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I use free accounts and a school related account and never see this.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

XBenedict posted:

Do you have a free account or a GSuites account? GSuites doesn't show the ads.

Free account. It’s probably this:

withak posted:

I think it's only if you use the automatic categories tabs. The ads show up on the promotions tab.

As I don’t use any of the auto-categorisation features.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Like this

Anarchy Online is still around???? Dang.

I've been using Edison email as a replacement for inbox and it's alright.

Is there any email that can do bundling/grouping of emails as well as inbox?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone using Overcast had it crash while using CarPlay? Since the most recent update. To the point of not being being able to use the app all.

I typically get a few minutes of audio. Then it just stops for a few minutes then comes back before crashing completely

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Gillman posted:

Has anyone using Overcast had it crash while using CarPlay? Since the most recent update. To the point of not being being able to use the app all.

I typically get a few minutes of audio. Then it just stops for a few minutes then comes back before crashing completely

I have not. I use it almost exclusively when I’m driving. Does Overcast crash when not using CarPlay? My first thought would be uninstall and reinstall Overcast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
First rule of Carplay, make sure you haven’t set up Bluetooth with your receiver in addition to carplay. The head units sometimes trip out and don’t know how to behave when both are connected.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

TraderStav posted:

First rule of Carplay, make sure you haven’t set up Bluetooth with your receiver in addition to carplay. The head units sometimes trip out and don’t know how to behave when both are connected.

I’ve never personally had this issue, but with car stereos, aren’t phone calls typically handled through Bluetooth? I haven’t noticed with my CarPlay unit, but my previous stereos would always kick over to Bluetooth when a phone call came in, even if I was connected through USB.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

empty baggie posted:

I’ve never personally had this issue, but with car stereos, aren’t phone calls typically handled through Bluetooth? I haven’t noticed with my CarPlay unit, but my previous stereos would always kick over to Bluetooth when a phone call came in, even if I was connected through USB.

If you have wired Car Play, I'm pretty sure everything is going over the lightning connector.

I just checked my phone and I don't have any Bluetooth profiles for my car, but I make and receive calls just fine.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, after I posted I thought about it more, and it makes sense that CarPlay would handle all of the phone stuff the same way. Years ago I had the original Pioneer AppRadio, before CarPlay when it was just Pioneer’s iPhone compatible software, and I’m pretty sure it dealt with all phone calls through Bluetooth, but since Apple developed CarPlay, it makes sense that everything would go through that.

E: I still have that original AppRadio but nobody wants to take it from me. It only supports the 30-pin dock connector, so it’s functionality is limited with modern hardware. iPhone 5 launch day was a sad time when I realized upgrading my phone had rendered my car stereo useless.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Apple News App is good now?

My favourite blogs have truncated their feeds and I hate it so much, but the Apple News version is full stories and the interface is just fine.

But how do I get followed sources to show up on top stories? It only seems to show stuff from Apple’s collections and I don’t really like those so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Apple News App is good now?

My favourite blogs have truncated their feeds and I hate it so much, but the Apple News version is full stories and the interface is just fine.

But how do I get followed sources to show up on top stories? It only seems to show stuff from Apple’s collections and I don’t really like those so far.

Yeah, that’s my biggest beef with Apple News. In the “Today” section, they sprinkle in my followed feeds with feeds from other sources that are loosely related. If I go to the “Followed” section, then I have to hit each feed one by one which is clunky.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, that’s my biggest beef with Apple News. In the “Today” section, they sprinkle in my followed feeds with feeds from other sources that are loosely related. If I go to the “Followed” section, then I have to hit each feed one by one which is clunky.

It also doesn’t seem to hide read stories, which is really annoying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It also doesn’t seem to hide read stories, which is really annoying.

Hell just mark it as read. Fade it out or put a little icon that indicates "you read this already you dumb goldfish".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is there a good local music player that does not hook into the iTunes library, but allows for copying music onto the phone via iTunes file sharing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VLC can at least do that.