Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol ig ot kicked out of lazerhawks after not playing much for a few weeks but going on a ruse cruise and rage rolling to try and help a small c3 group that got evicted last weekend

eve. eve online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Dalael posted:

Honestly, if your real life budget allows for it, just buy a plex. Ratting is a skullnumbing activity that could be better used doing something fun. Especially if you have limited time to play.

i was asking because i remember people being made fun of for using "external" methods of isk generation, specifically being likened to mouth breathers that sink large sums of money into pay to win phone games. Honestly, I actually enjoy doing my job and really hate ratting so my options are have fun and make 500m ticks but some people might call me a loser for being better at making videogame money or dont have fun and make 14-17m ticks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Micromancer posted:

I agree completely that the goal is to rat in a capswarm fit with at least capswarm skills for a carrier. The problem is we get a new kid in Delve and are like you should salvage for a little while or whatever and then this 1m SP goober has 2b to spend on fun things the next thing they know they are injecting into all kinds of poo poo. Crapswarm no SRP carrier poo poo in Delve is fun as gently caress and your skills for keeping fighters alive is going to be trash. Go Thanatos, keep them shits moving and you won't have too many problems. You will still lose fighters at the beginning though, don't let that get you down. That's what the extra space for spares is for.

My wife salvages and plexes both of her accounts with that income. I tried to teach her how to Myrmadon rat today and because we were together, those fat 3m ticks were depressing. She only has 9m SP though so its Salvage for sick cash, Explo for not poo poo because lol finding anoms in Delve, Mining in a Venture again and any number of other things that earn 20% what salvaging does.

Anyway, the reality is your newer players can not only afford carriers, but will want to fly them ASAP so they are playing with the dudes in their corp instead of you know, kinda near by. Fit a proper tank, get on comms with people that can help you with enemies and advice and you'll be fine. Link lossmails so everyone gets a good laugh, just try and learn from them. If you wait the several months to be capswarm compliant you'll probably have gotten tired of staring through the window watching everyone else eat.

You don't have to be capswarm compliant to use the capswarm fits, hth. Even using basic bitch T1 versions of the fits >>>> max hyperspatial krab fits.

It is also not notably that much more expensive to buy the capswarm fittings (especially if you omit the pile of refit modules) and it doesn't take THAT much longer/more injectors to have the skills to use the fit.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Rutibex posted:

:psyduck:
Exploration carrier? As in you are scanning down data sites and hacking them in a carrier? Do you go for the capital sized wormholes too?

Phone posting at work so no links but I do have a wh loss mail in a carrier that killed some poor bastards spider tanked rattlesnakes when they weren't expecting a capital escalation. I'll shoot you some links in the morning if you haven't run into the info before then.

Yes, I use the capital gravity ii mod on a thanatos to run data relic and escalations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NavyBlue posted:

i was asking because i remember people being made fun of for using "external" methods of isk generation, specifically being likened to mouth breathers that sink large sums of money into pay to win phone games. Honestly, I actually enjoy doing my job and really hate ratting so my options are have fun and make 500m ticks but some people might call me a loser for being better at making videogame money or dont have fun and make 14-17m ticks.

Nah, the ones who get made fun of are guys who buy a supercarrier or titan that they have no idea how to use, and get killed about 10 minutes after their purchase trying to use a gate to highsec. Or who drop plex for an officer-fit battleship and go to lowsec with it, because that's how you win PvP in Eve obviously. There are a surprising number of these idiots so they get mocked frequently.

Spending sane amounts of money on sane eve things is different. You can safely assume anyone that tries to insult you for it is just jobless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

NavyBlue posted:

Those are just IRL poors who are mad about it.

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Klyith posted:

Nah, the ones who get made fun of are guys who buy a supercarrier or titan that they have no idea how to use, and get killed about 10 minutes after their purchase trying to use a gate to highsec. Or who drop plex for an officer-fit battleship and go to lowsec with it, because that's how you win PvP in Eve obviously. There are a surprising number of these idiots so they get mocked frequently.

Spending sane amounts of money on sane eve things is different. You can safely assume anyone that tries to insult you for it is just jobless.

I am 100% the type of person to do this.
didnt even pay it off

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
more people should buy plex and get into ships they cant really fly.
I love the content it creates

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NavyBlue posted:

e. i havnt come out of lurking in like 8 years, why did someone buy me a new pfp and tag line lmao

That was my av+title a while ago and I guess FYAD does this thing every now and then where everyone who had made posts in a certain thread all get a copy of the same av+title as a random SA poster, to freak them the gently caress out. I sent a lot of confused PMs the first time I saw it on someone else.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Those are just IRL poors who are mad about it.

Pretty much this.

I've only bought plex once, but it did help me kickstart my poo poo to make a ton more of (lower effort) isk.

Also in before the obligatory embezzlement comments, I keep my personal poo poo separate from alliance :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NavyBlue posted:

Klyith posted:

^
This

Just assume that whoever is bitching you out for spending your own money how you want are probably fatasses in their underwear playing on their PC from their mom's basement.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Dalael posted:

^
This

Just assume that whoever is bitching you out for spending your own money how you want are probably fatasses in their underwear playing on their PC from their mom's basement.

just play eve how you want and try to get enjoyment out of your already sunk time and don't care what other people think.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Loky11 posted:

just play eve how you want and try to get enjoyment out of your already sunk time and don't care what other people think.

This but also by playing eve you will be judged harshly and deserve it.

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Maneck posted:

This but also by playing eve you will be judged harshly and deserve it.

serious question not meant to make fun: how does eve do well when its true that it often times feels like a second job you are paying for? is its a dark souls thing where the enjoyment is in accomplishment in the face of adversity, rather than actually enjoying the mechanics of the game its self?
>player groups are called corporations, power structured like a corporation
>boss is often an idiot in some way (dbrb, dhd, gigx)
>have to work to get income to have fun if you dont just buy plex
>have to pay a (probably) large portion of your income to maintenance (buy game time with isk, instead of rent/ mortgage)
>get voluntold to do things (paps, CTA)

just watched the durrhurdurr spotlight video again im coming back lads

NavyBlue fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 5, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NavyBlue posted:

serious question not meant to make fun: how does eve do well when its true that it often times feels like a second job you are paying for? is its a dark souls thing where the enjoyment is in accomplishment in the face of adversity, rather than actually enjoying the mechanics of the game its self?

Nietzsche Was Right

quote:

But what if pleasure and displeasure were so tied together that whoever wanted to have as much as possible of one must also have as much as possible of the other--that whoever wanted to learn to "jubilate up to the heavens" would also have to be prepared for "depression unto death"? And that is how things may well be.
--The Gay Science

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gay science indeed.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Plex keeps going up! Keep it up and I can buy all the Moloks with my CC power

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ragedx posted:

Plex keeps going up! Keep it up and I can buy all the Moloks with my CC power

CCP just increased prices for subscriptions & plex in all the poor countries too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

CCP just increased prices for subscriptions & plex in all the poor countries too.

Lmao

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

NavyBlue posted:

>have to pay a (probably) large portion of your income to maintenance (buy game time with isk, instead of rent/ mortgage)

Anyone playing the game to buy plex so they can play the game is doing it several levels of wrong. If you have a job it takes about 1-2 hours to earn 30 days of game time. Doing it by playing EVE takes multitudes of that.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

TigerXtrm posted:

Anyone playing the game to buy plex so they can play the game is doing it several levels of wrong. If you have a job it takes about 1-2 hours to earn 30 days of game time. Doing it by playing EVE takes multitudes of that.

unless of course you outearn your job via eve

i can gank people for 4-6 hours while having fun and can easily pull 10-20b

or get lucky over a day and pull in a mark who'll donate 300b to me

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Or you live in a country wiyhoi those wages, which is what r/Eve is complaining about right now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

are you phone posting or is that some hosed up acronym no one else in the world uses

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Or you live in a country wiyhoi those wages, which is what r/Eve is complaining about right now.

I'd imagine if you work at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution you would be paid well enough that you wouldn't need to do dumb poo poo in EVE to pay your sub.

Alternatively, you're a collector of old newspapers from Los Angeles, California.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"without".

Sorry: was phone-posting.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

TigerXtrm posted:

Not to mention the sanity you save.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TigerXtrm posted:

This assumes it's going to take more than 1-2 hours worth of effort to PLEX your account with in game activities.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Rutibex posted:

This assumes it's going to take more than 1-2 hours worth of effort to PLEX your account with in game activities.

Which is the case for the vast majority of players, even for a lot of people in Delve.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

TigerXtrm posted:

Which is the case for the vast majority of players, even for a lot of people in Delve.

pretty much all, there are hardly any activities in nullsec that allow you to plex all of your accounts in a couple of hours.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

I'd imagine if you work at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution you would be paid well enough that you wouldn't need to do dumb poo poo in EVE to pay your sub.

Alternatively, you're a collector of old newspapers from Los Angeles, California.

I used to know people at WHOI; they tended to be friendly but perpetually damp people who lead lives of quiet desperation and subsist on ramen and the by-catch from survey trawls.

Marine science is very poorly funded if you are not James Cameron, and their subs are more expensive than /r/'s.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

pretty much all, there are hardly any activities in nullsec that allow you to plex all of your accounts in a couple of hours.

Maybe not a couple hours straight, but a half dozen 15min increments spread out through an entire day sure can.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Rutibex posted:

15min increments

Are you sure you're playing the right EVE Online?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TigerXtrm posted:

Are you sure you're playing the right EVE Online?

Well, they did add rear end space, which is designed to be played in 15 minute intervals, so possibly?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Maybe not a couple hours straight, but a half dozen 15min increments spread out through an entire day sure can.

doing what?

either it takes up front time investment or other poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He’s a market guy

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Heavy Fighter V just finished yesterday. Then eve skills rested control of my brain, I canceled my skill plan to ‘finish’ my carrier skills—support fighters 5 and fighter hangar 5.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Brisc Rubal got removed from the CSM for leaking. loving idiot.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Must've been pretty blatant if he ate blanket permas to go along with it. Pretty sure Manny got off with just being kicked out.

edit: Actually, looks like the last leaker ate permas too

Tsed fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 8, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Isn't Brisc the literal DC insider in real life or is that someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CainFortea posted:

Isn't Brisc the literal DC insider in real life or is that someone else?

He's a lobbyist or a state senator or something along those lines. I'm too lazy to check.