Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some big poo poo went down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Picking out from this afternoon's posts:

I'm a STEM graduate (Dr). My first degree was theoretical physics. I studied quantum mechanics in all 3 years and fluid mechanics (my PhD used fluid mechanics but that was nearly 20 years ago now).

Q. What is purple and commutes?

A. An Abelian grape.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

His Divine Shadow posted:

1000 posts since last night, what happened?

A tie!

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

indicative votes gone, bercow had to vote because it was a tie, no no deal became law, bunch of tory meltdowns.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

marktheando posted:

lol at the length of this wikipedia article. 41 resignations since the 2017 election, 31 related to Brexit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_resignations_from_the_second_May_ministry

Every single one of them looks like a bad caricature of themselves :wtc:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

no no deal became law
lol Jesus Christ I swear every day I see a new headline breathlessly exclaiming that *this* vote has made No Deal absolutely, positively impossible for real this time. Who gets arrested when the law gets broken by No Deal happening anyway because it’s not up to us?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TACD posted:

lol Jesus Christ I swear every day I see a new headline breathlessly exclaiming that *this* vote has made No Deal absolutely, positively impossible for real this time. Who gets arrested when the law gets broken by No Deal happening anyway because it’s not up to us?

Well, it makes May request an extension, so if she fails to get one, her. :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1113564273081556993?s=19

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I’ve noticed that in most of these votes, the deputy speakers haven’t been voting. I had thought that the deputy speakers were permitted to carry on normal political activities when not filling the speaker’s role, what’s up with that?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Reveilled posted:

I’ve noticed that in most of these votes, the deputy speakers haven’t been voting. I had thought that the deputy speakers were permitted to carry on normal political activities when not filling the speaker’s role, what’s up with that?

Nah like the speaker they have to remain impartial on anything other than issues that specifically relate to their constituency. If a deputy had to sub in on a subject where they had recently taken a clear side it would be difficult for them to exercise their authority.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Charlz Guybon posted:

What happened to Oman?
I'm not certain on this but from having a friend who used to live there, it's kind of the one middle Eastern country that has its poo poo sorted out.

Relatively speaking, anyway. Sure, it's a monarchic dictatorship, but it's an enlightened monarchic dictatorship.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

I'm not certain on this but from having a friend who used to live there, it's kind of the one middle Eastern country that has its poo poo sorted out.

Relatively speaking, anyway. Sure, it's a monarchic dictatorship, but it's an enlightened monarchic dictatorship.

I meant, why has Oman been cut off the map?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I meant, why has Oman been cut off the map?

Because presumably it doesn't need its borders messed with.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is Transform Bristol sold out now?

I'd kinda like to look in on it but I'm disorganised.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Oman was pretty chill when I worked there. Beautiful countryside too. Happened to be doing fieldwork next to a really nice dude who had played for the Omani police force at the Royal Tattoo and spoke decent English. He always brought us snacks.

Didn't interact with or indeed see a woman until the relief team showed up after three weeks, mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like in a shooting war between clapped out gammony old farts and young, fit, healthy people, I would know which side to back.
Who has all the guns though?

Tends to be rural people, which swings heavily towards Leave. But also tends to swing wealthier or at least A Level educated, because Tories keep squashing any attempt to make firearms cheaper to own, but also any attempt to make them more expensive to own, so it's been stuck in a middle ground. But also tends towards middle aged, not the very old or the young.

Smeef posted:

What would they shoot?
Themselves after the food runs out, op.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Every single one of them looks like a bad caricature of themselves :wtc:
The best ones are the ones that look like caricatures of each other.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
This graun writer's weird

quote:

No question, the customs union certainly makes it easier for multinational companies to ship parts and semi-finished goods backwards and forwards across the Channel. But the real test of the worth of the current system is whether it has done anything to improve Britain’s trade performance.

Overseas business done by UK companies can be divided into four categories: exports of goods to the EU, exports of services to the EU, exports of goods to the rest of the world, and exports of services to the rest of the world.

Given that the customs union mostly affects physical trade goods, it might be thought that goods exports to the EU would be the best-performing category of the four. In fact, it is comfortably the worst, not just in recent years but over the past two decades, during which time exports have grown by just 0.2% on average. That’s actually worse than growth in goods exports to the rest of the world (up 3.3% a year).

The UK’s record in services has been much better. Exports to non-EU countries have grown by 5.6% a year for the past two decades, while services exports to the EU have increased by 5.2% a year.

Since the late 1990s, a deficit in goods with the EU of £6bn a year has ballooned into a deficit of £95bn a year. What’s more, the two goods sectors where the UK runs its biggest trade deficit with the EU are motor vehicles and food and drink, the ones that get the most protection from tariffs. Per head of population, the UK’s deficit in goods with the EU is bigger than the US’s bilateral deficit with China, which Donald Trump is so fired up about.

In part, that’s due to the EU’s miserable growth performance, but there’s more to it than that. Despite all the form-filling they have to do, Chinese, American, Indian and Brazilian goods exports to the EU have increased faster than Britain’s.

Certain conclusions can be drawn from this. The customs union works well for German carmakers and French farmers, who have a captive market for their products, but has not delivered anything like the same benefits for the UK.

I don't get this, is he being intentionally disingenuous? What really matters is the UK's trade performance, not its dependence on food imports or upholding EU food standards? He even mentions US hormone beef but doesn't engage with the issue at all

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a twitter thread containing a bunch of no deal MPs talking about how actually No Deal was never wanted before the referendum

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1113547733300842497

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't get this, is he being intentionally disingenuous? What really matters is the UK's trade performance, not its dependence on food imports or upholding EU food standards? He even mentions US hormone beef but doesn't engage with the issue at all
The UK is mostly a tertiary/quaternary sector economy, so short of reindustrializing, which we can't do overnight, CU puts us at a disadvantage compared to SM.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is Transform Bristol sold out now?

I'd kinda like to look in on it but I'm disorganised.

Standard and solidarity tickets are still available, evening entertainment is sold separately so I don't know.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1113706016271630337

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

The UK is mostly a tertiary/quaternary sector economy, so short of reindustrializing, which we can't do overnight, CU puts us at a disadvantage compared to SM.

Sure, but a lot of things you import are needed for eating. Saying the worth of the customs union is only about trade performance is pretty weird imo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1113708195963383808

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1113711273588461569

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i started a debate on the best baked beans, i said i didn't mind own brand cheap ones and every one went mental.

bans, probations, lowtax had to intervene. really scary.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Interesting that America has a so-called ‘coastal elite’ where all the jobs are, and the UK has Skegness.

In conclusion, capitalism is a system of contrasts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

i started a debate on the best baked beans, i said i didn't mind own brand cheap ones and every one went mental.

This bean recipe is really good

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cuban-style-black-beans-4283

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:prepop:

https://twitter.com/mjhucknall/status/1113713573354790912

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

The best are obviously Branston

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
“I just think Britain’s been on the decline since the 80s,”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

a twitter thread containing a bunch of no deal MPs talking about how actually No Deal was never wanted before the referendum

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1113547733300842497

Is Steve Analyst friends with Tim Apple?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Regarding job hunting - I was unemployed for ages, overqualified or lacking some specific experience meaning I couldn't apply for things I was more suited to. I ended up just fabricating a CV with no qualifications past high school so I could get short term contracts in call centres or factories. If you have issues with mental health I've found night work to impact that massively, basically having Seasonal Affective Disorder all year round for myself, but some people like it.

Actually working in the area you want to work in, doing any related temp work is a good start, as is 'work experience' - sending your CV and a cover letter to the manager of the department you want to work in (rather than HR) and offering a few days a week is good though not entirely feasible for everyone. Public sector tend to pay travel expenses at least, and though I disagree with the principle of unpaid labour, it was worth doing that than continuously being unemployed with no experience. The actual experience isn't so much doing the job as it is showing you can fit in with company culture and office bozos.

I've had 33 jobs this decade, and if you've just done any part-time or fixed-term contracts, your CV will look like poo poo. I just conflate all the actual experiences into 4 jobs, lie about the length of time I did them except the most recent one. If you have a LinkedIn, either keep it up to date or don't bother with it. Use STAR technique on answering application and interview questions. Check eventbrite for free corporate events and sector related seminars and do some networking (ugh).

I also found when I was unemployed, reading this thread every day made me a bit depressed. It can be worth taking a break and engage with stuff you have an impact on, like volunteering or just going for a walk, rather than keep up to date with how hosed the country is.

Anyway, good luck x

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

I've had 33 jobs this decade,

:eyepop:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

No kidding.

I've had five jobs this decade but they're all with the same organisation and two of them I just sort of started doing and then got my job title changed rather than actually applying for anything.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm on my fifth this decade, but this one also represents the third longest I've ever been in continuous unemployment

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Noxville posted:

The best are obviously Branston

:agreed:

I like that Tereezer is going to have to hold European elections despite going on telly in a tantrum telling everyone how bad a thing that would be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A jewish chronicle writer

https://twitter.com/jack_sommers/status/1113720705328267264

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
5 jobs in 8 years (6 in 9 years if you count the voluntary one) and unemployed/waiting for temp agency work/self employed but only made on sale since February.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Agreed, we should call them all transphobic shits, regardless of whether they base their transphobia on religion on 60s feminism or just being a big poo poo.

Or perhaps he'd like a new nuanced level of looking at antisemitism too, where we have a fair and balanced discussion between someone who bases their antisemitism on the writings of Hitler vs. a moderate who bases it on the writings of Schopenhauer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/CatrinNye/status/1113724445280079872