Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redm

very much enjoyed catching up with this thread since my last post.

here's a thing I found today on the microfilm projector in my local library.

sorry about the quality, I couldn't remember how to make xerox prints with the setup and the active librarian working there at the time had no idea how to run the machine at all :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I was thinking it would be better if the ants were walking around the letters, but then I realized most of the letters don't have any circular parts at all. :argh:

Goons Are Gifts

I think it's absolutely perfect that way and am just waiting alnilam's confirmation to make sure it works out before I upload it. Also I showed it to my friend and also neighbor who is afraid of ants and he couldn't look at it for a long time, which is a good sign. Also he said it's nice, which is an even better sign.

He continuously begs me to make sure that my ants never break out, which I always guarantee to him to at least 95%.

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Goons Are Great posted:

Also I showed it to my friend and also neighbor who is afraid of ants

You can ants if you want to
But you'll leave your friend behind

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

I think it's absolutely perfect that way and am just waiting alnilam's confirmation to make sure it works out before I upload it. Also I showed it to my friend and also neighbor who is afraid of ants and he couldn't look at it for a long time, which is a good sign. Also he said it's nice, which is an even better sign.

He continuously begs me to make sure that my ants never break out, which I always guarantee to him to at least 95%.

lookin' good! essentially all credit belongs to luvcow who got the aesthetic exactly right, I just made it creepy crawlier

Mummy Napkin
how does one go about starting an ant farm?

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Mummy Napkin posted:

first ur gonna need two birds and two bees

write this down

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

lookin' good! essentially all credit belongs to luvcow who got the aesthetic exactly right, I just made it creepy crawlier

I mean I say this a lot recently but it never was misplaced to say that you, luvcow and vanisher are brilliant byob artists and I love you all for it :swoon:
Just waiting for mod magic to make the last move!

Mummy Napkin

opioid agonist posted:

first ur gonna need two birds and two bees

write this down

two each? ok slow down gotta jot this down

redm

Resting Lich Face posted:

You can ants if you want to
But you'll leave your friend behind

:hmmyes:

alnilam

i queued the av change it won't happen until an admin clicks thru it though so meanwhile :justpost:

ty manifisto

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

A stork is sometimes required as well

sig by owlhawk911

xcheopis

pixaal posted:

A stork is sometimes required as well

Can I substitute cabbage for the stork?

Manifisto

Mummy Napkin posted:

plow a goodly sized field, sowing an ant every 12 to 14 inches

water, fertilize, and weed as necessary

harvest when approx 4 to 6 feet tall, or as they say "when the ants are as high as an elephant's eye"

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Mummy Napkin posted:

Well there is a lot of specific details and potential and variation, but basically you just have one spot where they live, another spot where they eat and drink and construct their junkyard and also their cemetery (they do all of this), then you get one pregnant queen (depending on the species this is tricky, but it always follows a pattern) and she will happily found her own family in a few week's time!
Every species is different, but since Ants are biologically a family (Formicidae), there are also a huge number of various Genus around, that sometimes can heavily vary in what they do, eat, need and stuff. There are ants that hunt insects, some that farm fungi, some that keep their own pets, some that breed their own cattle, also some that are brutal parasites towards other animals, or even other ants!

I can go in a full detail if you'd like, but it's quite a thing :science:

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 4, 2019

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

harvest when approx 4 to 6 feet tall, or as they say "when the ants are as high as an elephant's eye"

When the ants are as high
As an elephant's eye
That's Formicidae!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

Goons Are Gifts

alnilam posted:

i queued the av change it won't happen until an admin clicks thru it though so meanwhile :justpost:

Thank you, you're a treasure :glomp:

alnilam

trying to start an alien ant farm, not sure where to come by alien ants tho

ty manifisto

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Have you tried craigslist?

Goons Are Gifts

careful with that, they can take over the world quite fast, this happened on three planets already!!

Areola Grande

alnilam posted:

stick with me on this, it's not simple to understand. you have to make the two alien bees gently caress the two birds

Goons Are Gifts

opioid agonist posted:

stick with me on this, it's not simple to understand. you have to make the two alien bees gently caress the two birds

my note page is full already

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

El Dorito

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

Two can play this game
We both want power
In winter we can taste the pain

WindmillSlayer

who was that old BYOB guy who did tons of meth

WindmillSlayer

we now it's me lol

[Disclaimer: if my Avatar and name have not yet been changed to that of, uh, y'know that guy in old byob who did meth a lot, please contact the dictators of this board

Stoner Sloth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Wait, wait, hold up, I'm sorry but I'm still processing the octopus story. Your university had a BLUE RING octopus, like the kind from Australia that can kill in minutes and there's no antivenom, you just die? And you, in a course of study about animal toxins, were told a specimen was innate when it wasn't, go clean its enclosure?

1-Why didn't you sue the bejeezus out of them?

2-Do you ever wonder if anything else your teachers said about deadly animal poison was monstrously incorrect? Like were there a bunch of rattlesnakes in a cubby in the zoology department while entomology kept their Daddy Long Legs in hermetically sealed Hulk-jail???

3- Did you tell anybody!? Which universities staff their bullet-ant exhibits with work-study kids in swimtrunks seems like a valuable alumni insight.

Lol - yeah made sure to tell everyone, didn't sue them cause university was poor and would take money away from legit research + figure really I should have just assumed it was dangerous anyway regardless of what I'd been told. Really that's the only way to deal with lethally venomous animals but I was very young and had yet to learn.

But while it's true that there isn't an antivenom*, tetrodotoxin is weird in that so long as they keep your heart and lungs going for 16-24 hours then you recover with essentially no side effects. That and I was literally 2 minutes away from one of the biggest hospitals in the state. The speed of the venom, while rapid, is somewhat exaggerated and frankly by the time I'd felt the start of effects I'd still have had time to get into hospital and would likely have survived.

As for the second question... yeah a lot of what was taught was wrong and sometimes we had teachers who had simply allowed their knowledge of the subject to become out of date. My personal all time favourite example of that was with an oceanography teacher who insisted that there was no life to be found below the photic zone (where light gets to). There were pictures of it in our text book :eng99:

*Think they do have one that works but is still in development and hasn't seen full human testing. Also apparently reducing the core and especially brain temperature a couple of degrees neutralizes much of the effects I think I read somewhere a few years back.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh no, does that mean you are drinking ants? :ohdear:

Sorry man, but it does.

But very few of them (maybe 10 in the whole bottle) are used to flavour the gin - they're a kind of weaver ant that have been used by indigenous Australian peoples* in cooking and medicine for thousands of years and the use of them in this kind of thing is helping keep large colonies alive and thriving by making them valuable enough that people don't just do the whole people thing and casually wipe them out.

Sort of taste like a mixture of peppery and citrus flavours, a bit like lemon grass and black pepper but strangely different? :shrug:

*they're also used in South East Asia too apparently from at least 400 AD according to wikipedia at least

Anyways I salute the fallen ants who went into flavouring my drink - they were delicious - and in general though I'm very pro-ant; my housemates got annoyed with me a few times cause I won't let anyone get rid of the ones around the house or use pesticides.

Also I'd love to hear anything you can tell us about ants - I've read a lot of E.O. Wilson and one of his students books over the last couple of years and am always interested to learn more :)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Jaded Burnout

roomforthetuna posted:

I was thinking it would be better if the ants were walking around the letters, but then I realized most of the letters don't have any circular parts at all. :argh:

:anttony:

Biscats n Gravy

Smile.
can i get an alien ant farm?

Goons Are Gifts

Stoner Sloth posted:

Sorry man, but it does.

But very few of them (maybe 10 in the whole bottle) are used to flavour the gin - they're a kind of weaver ant that have been used by indigenous Australian peoples* in cooking and medicine for thousands of years and the use of them in this kind of thing is helping keep large colonies alive and thriving by making them valuable enough that people don't just do the whole people thing and casually wipe them out.

Sort of taste like a mixture of peppery and citrus flavours, a bit like lemon grass and black pepper but strangely different? :shrug:

*they're also used in South East Asia too apparently from at least 400 AD according to wikipedia at least

Anyways I salute the fallen ants who went into flavouring my drink - they were delicious - and in general though I'm very pro-ant; my housemates got annoyed with me a few times cause I won't let anyone get rid of the ones around the house or use pesticides.

Also I'd love to hear anything you can tell us about ants - I've read a lot of E.O. Wilson and one of his students books over the last couple of years and am always interested to learn more :)

From a biological perspective it is very acceptable, partly even encouraged to thin out ant population of big, thriving colonies, so if their chitin and proteins can make a gin taste a bit weirder, that's acceptable. Also I'm quite sure one hungry bear kills more of them in a minute than gin production requires in a year. :byobear:

In general it goes insects are friends, not food though!

Goons Are Gifts

Also also speaking of food, my friend brought me a 9am breakfast cheeseburger and while that's probably the most American thing that ever happened to me, I am not sure how to eat that for breakfast.

Areola Grande

As a reluctant American, that sounds gross. U have my blessing to not eat it

Areola Grande

:gop:

xcheopis

Goons Are Great posted:

Also also speaking of food, my friend brought me a 9am breakfast cheeseburger and while that's probably the most American thing that ever happened to me, I am not sure how to eat that for breakfast.

As an "eat whatever you want for breakfast" American, that does not sound appealing. Sorry.

xcheopis

lol

alnilam

xcheopis posted:

As an "eat whatever you want for breakfast" American, that does not sound appealing. Sorry.

Farecoal

There he go
I'm going to disagree here and say that I would love a breakfast cheeseburger. Unless it's one of those ones out of a vending machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

Farecoal posted:

I'm going to disagree here and say that I would love a breakfast cheeseburger. Unless it's one of those ones out of a vending machine

:same: