Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OutOfPrint posted:

Sniper Elite. Specifically, you can get an x-ray view of Hitler's testes exploding.

Mortal Kombat X, however, had Cassie's x-ray move where she punches male characters in the groin so hard you see their testicles explode.

It returns as one of her regular moves in x-ray form in 11. Now in higher definition so you can see the separate testicles squish in succession.

Bear in mind she can do this to her father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

God, what a stupid series. I'm glad they're consistent.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage: Flame Cores can shoot fireballs at you from across the room and also have an invincible charge attack.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

Mortal Kombat X, however, had Cassie's x-ray move where she punches male characters in the groin so hard you see their testicles explode.

It returns as one of her regular moves in x-ray form in 11. Now in higher definition so you can see the separate testicles squish in succession.

Bear in mind she can do this to her father.

I remember looking up a video of this the last time I heard it mentioned, the constant stream of *slow motion groin punch with pause before testicles explode [testicles invisible but with same sound effect for female characters]*/*pistol smash to side of head, breaking skull*/*close range gunshots to face as finisher*/*character jumps back up into fighting stance* was both weirdly entertaining and a real "so this is gaming now" moment :stonklol:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mortal Kombat evolved in exactly the direction that you probably expected it to in the nineties, and it's really hard to hate it for that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Mortal Kombat evolved in exactly the direction that you probably expected it to in the nineties, and it's really hard to hate it for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ78dP-_7X4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was really expecting Mortal Kombat to stay in the 90s.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I knew I was officially Old when I saw the X-ray bullet stuff from the latest Sniper whatever game and thought why would I want to see that it’s awful :o:
Yeah I keep thinking that but then I remember when my friend told me about Soldier of Fortune back when it came out and I was like :stare: okay man, you keep playing that, have fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mortal Kombat knows exactly what it's doing and anyone clutching pearls at Cassie Cage exploding a man's testicles has become a living parody of the "think of the children" moms deploring the realistic violence of MK2 in the 90s.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've played MK since the 90s and even I think the detailed gore is getting to be a little bit much. Not in any "think of the children" way or anything, I'm just not into it. Give me those old fatalities with five skulls and eight ribcages exploding out of palette-swapped ninjas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

MK's particular brand of gore is so goofy to me that I don't know how anyone can take it seriously, as opposed to something like Soldier of Fortune which I found really distasteful even at the time because it was so mean-spirited. I mean look, you just totally dismembered your own dad in the previous round and he's all back in one piece! They'll be fine.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an in-universe explanation as to how every fight ends with someone getting torn apart, but they're fine for the next fight? And how is death even supposed to matter in this universe?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The new game would seem to suggest that there are infinite parallel universes, which also helps to explain why everybody seems to have three skulls and two ribcages.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Is there an in-universe explanation as to how every fight ends with someone getting torn apart, but they're fine for the next fight? And how is death even supposed to matter in this universe?

You can't do Fatalities in the story mode, people don't die in Mortal Kombat unless they get killed in a cutscene.

You can still do X-Rays and poo poo, but you kind of just have to ignore people getting stabbed in the eye and then standing up like nothing happened.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't really like that either. takes away from the impact of a Fatality being a proper gruesome body horror murder when half the special attacks are... also that, and people just stand up after them. Blurs the previously clear line between Cool Move That Lowers Abstract Health Bar and bone-crunching bodily destruction, which isn't good imo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The fact that Mortal Kombat now has a shitton of respect for its lore and story, characters actually being allowed to age, some of the leasr sexualized character design in fighting games, and a shockingly tasteful reveal of a character's sexuality still shocks me, tbh. It's come a long way.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it didnt have to really strain to be the Least poo poo fighting game in that regard

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Watching more XCOM 2. The enemy can have turrets, and if you destroy one a win a mission where they appear and it’s the kind of mission where you clear the map instead of evacuating your guys after accomplishing the objective, you can take the wrecks back to base like any other enemy corpse, study them, and learn to build a facility that lets you deploy your own on base defense missions.

The problem is that turrets only appear on certain tile sets so actually getting the type of mission where you both kill a turret and are able to bring it back might not happen during a play through. Also, if you do get a mission where a turret appears, and you kill every mobile enemy and complete the objective without seeing it, you don’t collect the turret wreck. Really annoying if you’re a completionist.

Aren't turrets always guaranteed to spawn on the missions involving stealing resources from trains? When I played it, there was always a train car or two before the flatbed cars that had turrets on top of them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Bee posted:

The fact that Mortal Kombat now has a shitton of respect for its lore and story, characters actually being allowed to age, some of the leasr sexualized character design in fighting games, and a shockingly tasteful reveal of a character's sexuality still shocks me, tbh. It's come a long way.

Also: you can rip a woman's spine out through her rear end in a top hat

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Also: you can rip a woman's spine out through her rear end in a top hat

If you can also do that to a man, I'm happy with it. Non discriminatory rear end in a top hat spine removal

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I should note that one of Cassie's (she of the exploding testicle x-rays) fatalities in 11 is kicking her opponent in the groin so hard their body splits in half and their skull and spine are launched into the stratosphere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Mortal Kombat knows exactly what it's doing and anyone clutching pearls at Cassie Cage exploding a man's testicles has become a living parody of the "think of the children" moms deploring the realistic violence of MK2 in the 90s.
They understand their brand well, I meant it about consistency. It's a very stupid series and it always has been, and it's only ever worked because it so fully commits to being over-the-top.

I hope they go back to mo-cap actors in terrible costumes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I knew I was officially Old when I saw the X-ray bullet stuff from the latest Sniper whatever game and thought why would I want to see that it’s awful :o:

Yeah, for some reason that surgical level of detail is far more disturbing to me than ludicrous over-the-top ultraviolence. I guess the next game when you shoot someone you'll get footage of their childhood or their weeping mother or something

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Randalor posted:

Aren't turrets always guaranteed to spawn on the missions involving stealing resources from trains? When I played it, there was always a train car or two before the flatbed cars that had turrets on top of them.

They are either garunteed or just more likely, but if you kill all mobile enemies before killing the turret, you don't get the wreck even though your guys presumably came in and stripped the thing after. I was watching a LP where they cleared a train and were confused about killing 9/10 enemies on the results screen.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like a lot of complaints I hear about xcom 2 are coming from someone playing a completely different game. Turret enemies aren't all that rare and I don't bother with the upgrade that requires capturing a turret because it barely does anything.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I feel like a lot of complaints I hear about xcom 2 are coming from someone playing a completely different game. Turret enemies aren't all that rare and I don't bother with the upgrade that requires capturing a turret because it barely does anything.
The other thing I get is that holy poo poo people HATE the idea of having to cut a mission short and pull out because the turn limit was too strict and it's too dangerous to rush it. No, you have to be able to win EVERY SINGLE MISSION EVERY TIME.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
EDIT: uh i realized i posted this in the wrong thread as it's a little thing i love about this game... sorry!

Distrust is an isometric survival roguelite that's basically John Carpenter's The Thing with all the serial numbers filed off. You play as a rescue team who are sent to an Antarctic research base when a mysterious distress signal is sent out. Your helicopter lands and you find the base in abandoned with each section in various states of disrepair. As you scavenge your way through each portion of the base, you have to manage your health, body heat, stamina, and hunger with what meager resources you can dig up. Stay in heated buildings to keep warm, eat food to stay full, sleep to stay rested, and use medical supplies to stay alive. All pretty standard stuff.

Well, enemies in this game are summoned whenever characters fall asleep. The longer you sleep, the greater your odds of attracting the attention of "anomalies". However, the longer you go without getting rest when you're properly sleep deprived, the more fatigue-induced madnesses you acquire. Some are more easily managed than others. Shakespearean Expert and Obsessive Singing are pretty cute, for example, for self-evident reasons. Burst of Anger is frustrating as hell because the character is far more likely to break tools.

I got Hallucinations for the first time and kind of wrote it off as relatively harmless because I didn't notice any immediate change with the character. So I sent my two survivors into a building and had one of them start kindling a fire while another repaired a generator. I flipped to my third character in another building to keep scavenging, then flipped back to my first two to find that holy poo poo they're being attacked by an anomaly! I was thrown off because it looked like one of my characters had been attacked and transformed into an anomaly, so I had the other survivor drop what they were doing and shoot it. It dropped and there was my second survivor lying dead. I was completely baffled until I realized that it was just the loving Hallucinations madness and the game had suckered me into killing my own guy.

Well played, Distrust. Well played.

Sally has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Apr 5, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dash Rendar posted:

Distrust is an isometric survival roguelite that's basically John Carpenter's The Thing with all the serial numbers filed off. You play as a rescue team who are sent to an Antarctic research base when a mysterious distress signal is sent out. Your helicopter lands and you find the base in abandoned with each section in various states of disrepair. As you scavenge your way through each portion of the base, you have to manage your health, body heat, stamina, and hunger with what meager resources you can dig up. Stay in heated buildings to keep warm, eat food to stay full, sleep to stay rested, and use medical supplies to stay alive. All pretty standard stuff.

Well, enemies in this game are summoned whenever characters fall asleep. The longer you sleep, the greater your odds of attracting the attention of "anomalies". However, the longer you go without getting rest when you're properly sleep deprived, the more fatigue-induced madnesses you acquire. Some are more easily managed than others. Shakespearean Expert and Obsessive Singing are pretty cute, for example, for self-evident reasons. Burst of Anger is frustrating as hell because the character is far more likely to break tools.

I got Hallucinations for the first time and kind of wrote it off as relatively harmless because I didn't notice any immediate change with the character. So I sent my two survivors into a building and had one of them start kindling a fire while another repaired a generator. I flipped to my third character in another building to keep scavenging, then flipped back to my first two to find that holy poo poo they're being attacked by an anomaly! I was thrown off because it looked like one of my characters had been attacked and transformed into an anomaly, so I had the other survivor drop what they were doing and shoot it. It dropped and there was my second survivor lying dead. I was completely baffled until I realized that it was just the loving Hallucinations madness and the game had suckered me into killing my own guy.

Well played, Distrust. Well played.

Holy poo poo I wanna play this.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Thanks Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, I loved this fetch quest mission so much, and I appreciate your jamming another one in so much, it definitely doesn't feel like padding at all.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gann Jerrod posted:

Thanks Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, I loved this fetch quest mission so much, and I appreciate your jamming another one in so much, it definitely doesn't feel like padding at all.

If you are talking about the Beanstar pieces and the Yoshi Fruit sections, yes, it is padding as they ran out of time for the last 1/3rd of the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In Sniper Elite 4, two full campaign maps are co-op only. You can't get into those levels without creating or joining a co-op game. These levels both have full complements of collectables to pick up, meaning you can't get the achievements for picking up every letter and whatever without playing multiplayer.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The thing dragging Hitman down for me is my lack of imagination. I never do anything as clever as what I read about other people doing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard posted:

The thing dragging Hitman down for me is my lack of imagination. I never do anything as clever as what I read about other people doing.

Use the homing briefcase.

https://i.imgur.com/1kH1Z6u.mp4

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Holy poo poo I wanna play this.

haha oh poo poo i realize i posted this in the wrong thread.

uh, okay, here's a little thing about Distrust that is actually dragging it down:

When an anomaly is summoned into existence, it doesn't necessarily automatically hunt the person who was sleeping (and thus created it). there's been a couple of times where i've had an anomaly appear right outside the sleeping survivor's room then beeline in the opposite direction towards the survivor on the opposite side of the base.

from a successful run point of view it's a huge boon because it grants me a bit more time for the first survivor to catch up on sleep and for the second to prepare to fight. however im having the most fun when the game is brutal and this is a bit too forgiving.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

rodbeard posted:

This was a problem for me. It’s one of the best feelings in gaming when my three brain cells line up correctly and I put together and execute a really cool plan but my first run through 2016’s campaign I killed about half the targets by slipping them rat poison and then drowning them in a toilet or shoving them off a ledge, depending on where they go to throw up

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

eddoghetto posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm so glad to hear someone else say this - i thoughtit was just an iaaue i was having. Nothing worse than actually having a decent run in Tetris ruined because the dumb L block just sits its rear end down right in the middle of the screen

If you are ok with opening up the controller you can fix the dpad with a bit of tape:

https://kotaku.com/how-to-fix-your-switch-pro-controller-s-d-pad-1827325012

It's a bit involved but if you are careful it's not that hard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rodbeard posted:

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This was a problem for me. It’s one of the best feelings in gaming when my three brain cells line up correctly and I put together and execute a really cool plan but my first run through 2016’s campaign I killed about half the targets by slipping them rat poison and then drowning them in a toilet or shoving them off a ledge, depending on where they go to throw up

I really love the Hitman games and my problem is never creativity. It's remembering what the gently caress button(s) I'm supposed to remember when I'm executing my "plan" and I wind up blowing my cover and turning the place into a loving shooting gallery.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't really like that either. takes away from the impact of a Fatality being a proper gruesome body horror murder when half the special attacks are... also that, and people just stand up after them. Blurs the previously clear line between Cool Move That Lowers Abstract Health Bar and bone-crunching bodily destruction, which isn't good imo

If violence gets too realistic it starts to become uncomfortable. I think that's one of the issues; the original Mortal Kombat games were very obviously not people. They were pixellated and cartoonish. The blood, gore, and bones was just so over the top it registered as silly instead of real. It was very obviously extremely fake so your brain just goes "lol silly pixel men are punching each other." Once something starts looking real enough that the graphics start reading in your brain as actual people having horrible things happen to them you start going "OK no I can't watch that." Some of the lovingly rendered gore in contemporary games makes me go "oh, no, no no no no loving NO." My brain starts going BAD THINGS ARE HAPPENING TO PEOPLE WHY ARE YOU JUST SITTING THERE RUN AWAY OR MAKE IT STOP OR DO SOMETHING OH HELL THIS IS AWFUL.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If violence gets too realistic it starts to become uncomfortable. I think that's one of the issues; the original Mortal Kombat games were very obviously not people. They were pixellated and cartoonish. The blood, gore, and bones was just so over the top it registered as silly instead of real. It was very obviously extremely fake so your brain just goes "lol silly pixel men are punching each other." Once something starts looking real enough that the graphics start reading in your brain as actual people having horrible things happen to them you start going "OK no I can't watch that." Some of the lovingly rendered gore in contemporary games makes me go "oh, no, no no no no loving NO." My brain starts going BAD THINGS ARE HAPPENING TO PEOPLE WHY ARE YOU JUST SITTING THERE RUN AWAY OR MAKE IT STOP OR DO SOMETHING OH HELL THIS IS AWFUL.

If it helps, here's a succession of xenomorphs having a very bad day instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicSlurpee posted:

After watching the Mortal Kombat fatalities, and then seeing these gifs -

- I agree. These are doofs having fun and the spines are just part of that fun. Compare/contrast with the MK11 Fatalities and migod, that's gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That makes sense. It's like why the gore in an 80's horror movie is fun, but modern torture porn isn't.