Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Probably going to start doing the latter if I every play again on my OG version. Just to get those dang level-4 cards out.

The no-drawing-after-guessing makes sense. Otherwise one person will prioritize waiting for others to start drawing, guess fast to get the early point tokens, and then let everyone wait while they do their drawing. Probably will also just implement that rule if I play my copy.

If you proxy another A, B, and C card, you can just play the 2nd edition rules in their entirety with OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I've punched out everything for Roll for the Galaxy: Rivalry and stuffed it all into a million different plastic bags inside plastic bags all inside one big plastic bag.

And I'm going to have to go back later and sort all the different dice upgrade faces into their own mini plastic bags once I get them.

I would take a picture, but I'd rather keep my despair private for now.

E: On that note, any good inserts for this thing? Hopefully one that has room for all the stuff.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 3, 2019

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Shadow225 posted:

If you proxy another A, B, and C card, you can just play the 2nd edition rules in their entirety with OG.

You don't even have to do that, just stack the two card holders (maybe with some folded paper between to raise the top one a little) and you have two symbols for each card space.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How does the Orb die look? When I saw photos of that it looked like something that would break easily as stuff kept getting pulled out.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

T-Bone posted:

If you're looking for a cubey dry euro with real interaction you should go with like Hansa Teutonica or Caylus.
I wouldn't say I'm actively looking for another euro since I recently got Concordia and would like to get it to the table more as it is, Caylus is super cheap though so stranger things have happened. I was just shocked that I enjoyed such a cubey worker placement game so it has left me more inclined to try out some better versions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

If you're looking for a cubey dry euro with real interaction you should go with like Hansa Teutonica or Caylus.

The best cubey Euro that isn't Caylus is probably Suchy's League of Six. I picked it up a few years back in a clearance sale and it's the most value I ever got for £5; a friend picked it up for twice that after playing my copy and thought he'd got a bargain. Spending another £5 on the expansion was a complete no-brainer.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Roluth posted:

I've punched out everything for Roll for the Galaxy: Rivalry and stuffed it all into a million different plastic bags inside plastic bags all inside one big plastic bag.

And I'm going to have to go back later and sort all the different dice upgrade faces into their own mini plastic bags once I get them.

I would take a picture, but I'd rather keep my despair private for now.

E: On that note, any good inserts for this thing? Hopefully one that has room for all the stuff.

The Broken Token insert is quite nice, but I doubt it will hold the base game & both expansions.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Bruceski posted:

How does the Orb die look? When I saw photos of that it looked like something that would break easily as stuff kept getting pulled out.

It looks fine, and the die faces fit pretty neatly once you push them in a bit. They give you 10 tools to pop die faces out with , so it should be okay if a few break/get lost. They do make you assemble the fixed Deal game dice though. (cost saving thing with the Orb dice). I'm excited to try them out once I get people through the base game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kerro posted:

I'm keen to know this too. We've played first edition to death and wondering whether there's any reason to get to second edition as well.

I'm loving having access to the laser cutter at our library - used it to make a dice tower this time cos I somehow manage to keep rolling dice off the table.

You just made me check online to see if my local library has a laser cutter. I don't think they do, boo.

They do have a bunch of actually pretty good boardgames available to check out though. I checked out The Grizzled to see how it plays.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just played a 4p game of Russian Railroads and I still really kinda like the game, just hits my efficiency engine brain.

I've heard the expansion German Railroads is good, let's see what it goes f...uck.

200 bucks for this 4 year old expansion because it's already wildly out of print and probably will never go back in print again.

Can I print and play it or something??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2179643/13th-annual-golden-geek-awards-winners-2018

Golden Geek Winners. Categories shook out alrightexcept for the travesty that is the Podcast selections. Weird year overall for games but glad Root cleaned up and especially happy it grabbed best art.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Pretty blah year of gaming releases honestly. The Mind winning anything is a loving travesty

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The Mind is so simple that I got my whole family to play it. It's suprisingly fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

The Mind is so simple that I got my whole family to play it. It's suprisingly fun.

The Mind is just a slightly more complex version of The Game. It's not good or original.

Root beating Brass in Artwork is also a travesty.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Terminally Bored posted:

Sorry, my bad. Game of the year. No other game is easy to teach and surprisingly fun. Look out for the hit follow ups "Guess what's in my pocket" and rock paper scissors

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm not saying its game of the year material but seeing it being shat on is really tiresome. It's the lightest game for a 30 min of stupid fun.

I kinda resigned myself to playing fillers like that because only one person in my family wants to play GWT with me :negative:

e: like there are cheap copies of Project Gaia in stores around because the publisher in my country went bakrupt but I won't even get it because there would be absolutely no one around to play it with me.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 4, 2019

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
It deserves to be shat on. It is the Platonic ideal of the absolute least you can do to make a game.

None of this is to say that you're not allowed to enjoy it. If it hits the spot for you, then you do you. But it's barely a game and the fact that people are mentioning it in the same conversation as game of the year is an insult to people who actually bothered to design something.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm really disappointed that Root and The Mind basically won everything. :(

I knew they were going to, but was really hoping they wouldn't. Root is fine, but SUSD had it right: once you've learned the game the fun goes away. And The Mind is more of a collaborative activity than a game itself. Which is fine. The Mind is fine. It's fine. Fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lotta late night hot takes in here 🤨

Scythe Fenris is probably the worst winner in that list. It’s pretty garbage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The End posted:

Sorry, my bad. Game of the year. No other game is easy to teach and surprisingly fun. Look out for the hit follow ups "Guess what's in my pocket" and rock paper scissors

Handses!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

The Mind is just a slightly more complex version of The Game. It's not good or original.

Root beating Brass in Artwork is also a travesty.

Brass is the ugliest game I’ve seen of 2018, second only to Blackout. The winding playerboard is like a graphic designer proffessor’s example of what not to do.

The juxtaposition between the original and Birmingham is like going from clean-lined, three-color comic books to 90s comics where everything is cross hatched to death, the palette is gray and brown, and every superhero is overburdened with pouches.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Those lists informed me that there's a Ganz Schön Clever app so I guess I'm thankful for that

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

silvergoose posted:

Just played a 4p game of Russian Railroads and I still really kinda like the game, just hits my efficiency engine brain.

I've heard the expansion German Railroads is good, let's see what it goes f...uck.

200 bucks for this 4 year old expansion because it's already wildly out of print and probably will never go back in print again.

Can I print and play it or something??

Pray for a big box basically :pray: Maybe you can grab the side-expansion DSP if you're lucky off BGG?

It's a crime too, it's such a FAST worker placement game once everyone understands the game, my group can squeeze a game in in a little over an hour now.

Or come play with meeeeeee

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 4, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Looks like someone did upload player board and punch board images so maybe I'll print and laminate them. Hmph!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

And The Mind is more of a collaborative activity than a game itself. Which is fine. The Mind is fine. It's fine. Fine.
I think the way the award scoring works plays to the favour of The Mind's mostly inoffensive nature. Combine that with the fact the game had really good market penetration across various types of gamers (being cheap, quick to play and also easy to proxy) and it probably resulted in lot of decent scores from a lot of people. If people only had a single vote for each category, I don't think it would have done as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

silvergoose posted:

Looks like someone did upload player board and punch board images so maybe I'll print and laminate them. Hmph!

First Class is quite good too if you're looking for a similar itch (it's like RR but built around drafting). It has some pretty satisfying engine building/wombo combos.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I didn't really like first class sadly. Didn't scratch the same itch at all for me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder if it's because I played First Class before RR. That opinion seems more common among folks who played RR first.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2179643/13th-annual-golden-geek-awards-winners-2018

Golden Geek Winners. Categories shook out alrightexcept for the travesty that is the Podcast selections. Weird year overall for games but glad Root cleaned up and especially happy it grabbed best art.

Mark said he anticipated exactly those results as those podcasts have a better social media reach to ask listeners for votes. He's hopeful to get into the Runner-up category in two years or more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Nice, enjoy! My friend found it at a shop for retail hidden behind some other stuff. Got lucky there. Haven’t played it yet but we will after this bout of train games 18xx!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think it's kinda dumb that Hannibal can win again for Best Wargame. The new edition adds some extra poo poo but it's the same exact game that already won when it came out. Just do a Best Reprint category.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice, enjoy! My friend found it at a shop for retail hidden behind some other stuff. Got lucky there. Haven’t played it yet but we will after this bout of train games 18xx!

Would that be the person who posted "found it at a game shop for 45, good luck everyone"? :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

T-Bone posted:

I think it's kinda dumb that Hannibal can win again for Best Wargame. The new edition adds some extra poo poo but it's the same exact game that already won when it came out. Just do a Best Reprint category.

How many new war games come out every year? I have to assume at this point every war and battle in recorded history has at least two war games. There must be diminishing returns at some point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...a lot? What a ridiculous question.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's like being amazed that peopole keep making new movies and TV shows.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I request a new train game category. If wargames have their own category, the genre with an entire hall dedicated to it at gencon deserves a category.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I request a new train game category. If wargames have their own category, the genre with an entire hall dedicated to it at gencon deserves a category.

People can usually agree on what a wargame is.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A game doesn't really need to be imaginative or innovative to be a good party game. Twenty Questions or Contact don't have especially creative rules, but they're perfectly good games to play with all audiences.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

silvergoose posted:

...a lot? What a ridiculous question.

Until someone in this thread has designed a Golden Geek nominated wargame, I'm just going to assume it's a dead genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

Until someone in this thread has designed a Golden Geek nominated wargame, I'm just going to assume it's a dead genre.

You must’ve missed the meltwater acclaim.