Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

:siren: Holy Fury is finally on sale (til April 5):siren:

I've been waiting a while for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Aztecs just showed up in Aquitaine.
Can I make friends with them and keep them from attacking me or do I need to face them sooner or later?

Right now they're warring with the HRE which funnily enough has about the same amount of solders as they do if the Aztec emperors info is correct.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Aztecs just showed up in Aquitaine.
Can I make friends with them and keep them from attacking me or do I need to face them sooner or later?

Right now they're warring with the HRE which funnily enough has about the same amount of solders as they do if the Aztec emperors info is correct.

Honestly, they tend to run out of steam faster than you'd think. They start with a shitload of event troops but they don't replenish so a big war with the HRE will bleed them dry and they won't have enough land to really muster much of a force on their own. I had a game a while ago where I was playing in Spain which is like, the primary danger zone for Aztec invasion, and I got lucky and they hit Britain first instead of me, but they were never really able to even make it off the island.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Vanilla HRE is kind of ridiculous at the moment I think. They seem to always blob out of control, dominating Germany, Italy and typically about half of France, Spain and most of North Africa. I think the buffs they get from their succession system are kind of ridiculous, +15 vassal opinion is good but not ridiculous, but +20 vassal limit definitely is. Also, the way their election system is currently configured it seems predisposed to elect somewhat competent guys that everyone likes as opposed to a potentially suboptimal dynastic heir, and that combined with the +15 opinion with everyone and huge vassal limit makes them ridiculously stable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The HRE in my game has almost all of Hispania, all of Scandinavia, most of France, bits of southern Italy, and most of England. Þ

They're pretty big.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a world religion panel? Or some information on the other major religions and their moral authority?

gently caress me, I bought this yesterday.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Is there a world religion panel? Or some information on the other major religions and their moral authority?

gently caress me, I bought this yesterday.

In the ledger, which is a button in the bottom right corner.

If you bought it yesterday, try emailing paradox support for a refund. It’s worked for me before (for a different game, admittedly)

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Palemdromes posted:

In the ledger, which is a button in the bottom right corner.

If you bought it yesterday, try emailing paradox support for a refund. It’s worked for me before (for a different game, admittedly)

Awesome thanks, for both of these.

Also goddamn the ledger is offensively hard to read. The text does not stand out at all. At least for the Norse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The ledger has all the information you could ever need to see, of course the text is small.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Coolguye posted:

I feel like I should mention this here, I'm going to be doing a let's-learn streamthrough of CK2 starting next Monday on Youtube with my long-time LP partner. He's played all of like 30 minutes of the game and I'll be doing my best to whip him into shape. Gonna do a random world with more pagans and I'll be starting as a duke with him as one of my count vassals. A couple long time players in this thread have said they like the way I solve problems so if you want to drop by and bug me about something, feel free.

If you're interested, keep an eye on the streaming thread in Let's Play, where I'll post the link when we're live. 4/8 at about 8pm CST.

That's really great. I enjoy all your LPs (but the Majesty LP was my favorite). Could you find it in your heart to post a reminder in here when you start to stream?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What's better the Vanilla or SWMH Map?

PBJ posted:

If you want a good coat of arms mod, just use Patrum Scuta. It's loads better than HIP's, plus it's compatible with CK2+.
How do I make my own coat of arms files correctly?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Played around a little bit with the wonders tonight in my ongoing Navarra game. These look great for early feudal starts given how many tiers each one has and the associated bonuses and events.

Can’t wait to port this game to EU4. It’s 1386 and I’m just a couple of counties away from forming Hispania as Navarra. I most recently finished playing as 75-y.o. Queen Estefania II the Wise who kicked the massive HRE’s rear end twice in a row with a truce-break in order to get a county followed by two duchies (love that pope+press all claims).

It all started when Charlemagne swooped down through Iberia during a series of holy wars. These swaths of Francian Iberia eventually split off as the Kingdom of Valencia. Now, even though I’ve held the proper duchy of Valencia for the past 200 years or so, the Kingdom of Valencia still holds Andalusia/Sevilla, the areas around Barcelona, and most of Morocco. And about 80 years previous they joined the already-sprawling HRE.

So after building a statue in Navarra and a mausoleum in Dax (where the Louping dynasty got its start way back in 769), Queen Estefania dies a natural death and her half-Berber 27-y.o. grandson inherits (mother died about 20 years previously). I immediately get an event asking how I’d like to bury her. So I’m already trying to think of where I’d like to start my next game. Anyway I think King Ladron II is gonna be the one that makes it to emperor. Plenty of time to fabricate claims on Barcelona and the Andalusian region and should be home free from there. If there’s some extra time before 1450 I’ll try to further break up the HRE, maybe help out the Papal States with some wars if the emperor is excommunicated which is a CB I only just stumbled across this evening.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I haven't played this in like a year and a half, but I just have to say whatever update or patch added the ability to expand a county's holdings is maybe my favorite addition ever to this game. Good poo poo paradox.

To clarify it's the target of my Crown focus, correct? Could I move my crown focus around my territory and just build my territory as tall as gold allows?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Torrannor posted:

That's really great. I enjoy all your LPs (but the Majesty LP was my favorite). Could you find it in your heart to post a reminder in here when you start to stream?

Absolutely, now that I've been asked.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

I haven't played this in like a year and a half, but I just have to say whatever update or patch added the ability to expand a county's holdings is maybe my favorite addition ever to this game. Good poo poo paradox.

To clarify it's the target of my Crown focus, correct? Could I move my crown focus around my territory and just build my territory as tall as gold allows?

Yeah that event basically never fires.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Volkerball posted:

Oh did I just get stupidly lucky then? I went from a 3 holding county to a full 7 in like 150 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

Oh did I just get stupidly lucky then? I went from a 3 holding county to a full 7 in like 150 years.

Nice. Yeah, that's pretty lucky. I think it's been a while since I didn't have a 7 county capital to begin with tho, so they might have tweaked it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Volkerball posted:

It can be made to fire fairly reliably but the setup is insane. I just checked the code on it.

pre:
province_event = { #Reclaim Land
    id = RIP.11705
    title = PROSPERITY_TITLE
    desc = RIP.11705.d
    picture = "GFX_evt_culture_change"
    border = GFX_event_normal_frame_economy

has_flag = crown_focus_province

trigger = {
        has_province_modifier = prosperity_modifier_3
        NOT = {
            num_of_max_settlements = 7
        }
    }   

mean_time_to_happen = {
        years = 65
        modifier = {
            factor = 1.2
            owner = {
                independent = no
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                stewardship = 12
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                stewardship = 16
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                stewardship = 18
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                learning = 12
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                learning = 16
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                learning = 18
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                is_smart_trigger = yes
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                OR = {
                    trait = administrator
                    trait = architect
                    trait = scholar
                    trait = gardener
                }
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                trait = diligent
            }
        }
        modifier = {
            factor = 0.9
            owner = {
                OR = {
                    trait = scholarly_theologian
                    trait = mastermind_theologian
                    trait = charismatic_negotiator
                    trait = grey_eminence
                    trait = fortune_builder
                    trait = midas_touched
                }
            }
        }
    }

option = {
        name = RIP.11705.a

ai_chance = {
            factor = 95
        }

owner = {
            scaled_wealth = -2.5
        }
        add_holding_slot = 1
    }
    option = {
        name = RIP.11705.b

ai_chance = {
            factor = 5
        }

}
}
Interpretation for those who don't want to process that bullshit:

The county must be the crown focus, and it must be at the maximum prosperity rating (Booming). The event then has a MTTH of 65 years. However, it can be lowered a ton with the correct ruler traits:
  • High Stewardship. Breakpoints are 12, 16, and 18.
  • High Learning. Same breakpoints.
  • Smart tag (Shrewd, Quick, or Genius).
  • Lifestyle trait of Architect, Gardener, Scholar, or Administrator.
  • Diligent.
  • Level 4 or 5 Diplomacy, Stewardship, or Learning education.

If you're someone's vassal it'll slow poo poo down.

If all of those are in place then the MTTH will drop down to something like 26 or 27 years if my math is right, which means that you could reasonably expect it to fire twice in a peaceful, healthy ruler's lifetime and 3 wouldn't be especially lucky. So with a really good ruler and a stitch of luck you could get it happening a lot.

Also worth noting. The AI has a 95% chance to accept this if it comes up, so that's another good reason to have real Dukes in your kingdom so they can set their crown focus and at least have the option. If you notice they've done it you can always build a town in the province to yield taxes for you instead of troops and power for them.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 3, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The recent patch added an event that gives a county with a Great Work an extra holding slot too, so that's nice.

Current patch seems a bit buggy at the moment, though - I've had Great Works vanish, while others appear twice or more on the outliner. And I'm not sure that Muslim rulers should be burying their ancestors at the Pyramids...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

cultural appropriation with medieval traits

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Conquered the British Isles and gave it to a relative so I could have another empire of my culture/religion/dynasty as an ally. Some of those white HRE bits are actually part of Norway because of de-jure drifts.

It will probably be a prime target for crusades in the future but Christendom just blew their crusade on attacking some random Tengri dude in Vladimir who converted before the crusades even arrived so it will be a few years before they can do another one.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2019

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel I'm getting the hang of this game now. My lowly Earl of Dublin will always inherit Lagain from his father early-ish, so after that it's just a lucky Fabricate Claim and I'm a duke. From there, three generations later and I am the Queen of Ireland. Yay.

Now the looming problem seems to be that I own too much demesne territory, the Queen has pooped out three daughters and no sons so I have no direct heir to give spare counties to (gently caress you, misogynistic Catholic laws), none of the neighbors seem to want to marry them because something something too high in the line of succession, I can't change the laws to increase my centralization because the existing vassals are always pissy. But hey, Queen of Ireland.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 3, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Now the looming problem seems to be that I own too much demesne territory, the Queen has pooped out three daughters and no sons so I have no direct heir to give spare counties to (gently caress you, misogynistic Catholic laws), none of the neighbors seem to want to marry them because something something too high in the line of succession, I can't change the laws to increase my centralization because the existing vassals are always pissy. But hey, Queen of Ireland.

You SHOULD be able to convert to your spouse's culture for the cost of a few hundred prestige. So if you pick up a Basque spouse you can click over to that, and that will enable the Absolute Cognatic gender succession type without the usual arduous climb up the Equality tree. With that as the crown law you can assign landholding titles to women, the Church only cares that there are not female bishops. They will have opinion penalties until you fix up the laws surrounding status of women but who cares. Starting as the count of dax in 769 the only man on the throne has been Lupo I, the dude I started as. The Empire of Navarra has been ruled by women for the last 350 years, and I aggressively give land to my infant nieces, daughters, and female dynasts before any rando dumbass gets even a barony.

if that's not an option, matrilineally marry your daughters to sucker randos, and then grant the county to their husbands. When they reproduce, the kids will be of your dynasty and your dynasts will inherit the county naturally.

e: Also, crown laws like centralization should not depend on vassal opinion unless you have the Council empowered. If you do, then your first step will be to disenfranchise them - the Council is helpful when you are a stable empire but until then it largely just gets in your way. Stuff the council with Loyalist bootlickers and revoke Council powers until they're completely subordinate to you. The easiest way to do this is to use individual courtiers and completely ignore the powerful vassal junk. Courtiers are easy to bribe with gifts and if you are both in the hermetics you can also give them ingredients to increase their opinion of you. You can force them to join the Hermetics by making them your Apprentice but be aware that they will get a negative modifier of you for taking away that title and it won't be a wash unless you are at least level 3 in the society. Beyond that you can use Sway or outright just make them the rando dumbass you marry to your daughters so you can get mammoth opinion boosts from giving land.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 3, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You also get +2 to your demesne size if you have all your council laws off, so rolling back those laws should be your priority. Don't worry about your vassal opinions at this stage too much, if most of Ireland is in your personal demesne then rebellions aren't really a concern.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
On the arrange marriage tab of your daughter, there will be a checkbox just above the characters that says matrilineal marriages only. Click that and it will only show characters who will accept an offer. Sometimes you luck out big and someone is trying to consolidate the power over their kingdom by matrilineally marrying their siblings or lovely heirs.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gotdang, my ruler is well liked. Every time I hold a great blot, every prisoner is apparently my acquaintance.

Whats the best way to go about consolidating your power w/ an agnatic gavelkind? I just dropped from 11 counties to 3. I'm an emperor, so it's not that big of a deal, but i want more levies. Am I gonna have to adopt feudalism?

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 4, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gotdang, my ruler is well liked. Every time I hold a great blot, every prisoner is apparently my acquaintance.

Whats the best way to go about consolidating your power w/ an agnatic gavelkind? I just dropped from 11 counties to 3. I'm an emperor, so it's not that big of a deal, but i want more levies. Am I gonna have to adopt feudalism?

I mean, if you're good with living dangerously, you could always just prune away your extra sons. If you've only got the one he'll always inherit everything.

Other than that, yeah, you'll need to stop being tribal, which should be the goal anyway because tribals get disproportionate numbers of light infantry who are pretty much good for dying in place of more valuable troops or, like, human wave attacks I guess. Feudalism will get you fewer troops of significantly better quality and reforming the faith in order to adopt feudalism should be high on your list of priorities.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean, if you're good with living dangerously, you could always just prune away your extra sons. If you've only got the one he'll always inherit everything.

Other than that, yeah, you'll need to stop being tribal, which should be the goal anyway because tribals get disproportionate numbers of light infantry who are pretty much good for dying in place of more valuable troops or, like, human wave attacks I guess. Feudalism will get you fewer troops of significantly better quality and reforming the faith in order to adopt feudalism should be high on your list of priorities.

How do you prune away your sons, since you can't directly plot to kill them?

And, as far as troops go, not a big concern.

In total, I had 3 conquests, 2 peasant revolts, 1 old germanic revolt, 1 vassal major vassal revolt, and 1 crusade declared against me.

The only war I lost was a 1 county conquest for Jaffa, which I took in 805.

Edit: The Pope calling a crusade on me during a vassal revolt really left a sour taste in my mouth. As a result, I decided to declare greater holy war on Lombardy. I almost had them ready to surrender all of their lands when their wussbag ruler converts to Germanic. So I did this.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 4, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

This comes up a lot and essentially it comes down to putting them in situations that they're likely to die in. So you might put a bad martial son in charge of a tiny group of raiders and then attack things much larger. Or you could make a bad intrigue son your spymaster and send them off to study technology in Constantinople. Or you could make a bad diplo son your chancellor and send them off to forge you a claim. You get the idea.

It was a lot easier, admittedly, when Holy Fury dropped and they hadn't quite worked out the kinks with regard to combat lethality. You could mulch lovely kids for days.

But really it's ultimately better just to face to feudalism. You eventually really want to be able to do things like make it illegal for counties to leave your realm or only hand out vassal kingdoms for the lifetime of the holder.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doesn't really hold true since you're Germanic. But I've found a good way to get rid of excess sons as a Catholic is to imprison them and then force them to take vows.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

And, as far as troops go, not a big concern.

In total, I had 3 conquests, 2 peasant revolts, 1 old germanic revolt, 1 vassal major vassal revolt, and 1 crusade declared against me.

The only war I lost was a 1 county conquest for Jaffa, which I took in 805.

Edit: The Pope calling a crusade on me during a vassal revolt really left a sour taste in my mouth. As a result, I decided to declare greater holy war on Lombardy. I almost had them ready to surrender all of their lands when their wussbag ruler converts to Germanic. So I did this.

That's brutal, you're a brutal man.
I like that. Generally I'm a fan when the pope has to relocate elsewhere due to pagans tearing down their stone walls.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Okay, I have a really weird problem. My character is the King of Ireland, Scotland and Wales - Wales is my primary title because it got changed to Gavelkind and I wanted to keep it. But today I bought the Way of Life, Conclave and Old Gods DLCs in the sale, booted up the game and now Scotland and Ireland have both changed to Gavelkind as well. What the hell just happened?

EDIT: Also it's an Ironman game and now that I've started it with the DLC I can't go back and try to play it without them enabled.

EDIT 2: Okay, having had a look the changes to councils and laws from I think Conclave has reset everything to its default. How do I use the console to force everything to go back to how it should be?

cargohills fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 4, 2019

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If it's ironman, you can't use console.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Can I convert the save somehow? Or am I just hosed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Destroy the titles of Scotland and Ireland. You should never hold more than one kingdom title. Honestly though your best bet is to just start a new game because that probably isn't the only weird thing that you're going to find has happened in that game since you started it without any DLC. You got old gods, go do pagan stuffs.

Dwesa posted:

If it's ironman, you can't use console.

When you click load game you can turn ironman off, but I don't think there's any way to change succession laws with it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

Destroy the titles of Scotland and Ireland. You should never hold more than one kingdom title. Honestly though your best bet is to just start a new game because that probably isn't the only weird thing that you're going to find has happened in that game since you started it without any DLC. You got old gods, go do pagan stuffs.

When you click load game you can turn ironman off, but I don't think there's any way to change succession laws with it.

You can't destroy those titles if they follow gavelkind.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You can use the console to kill people, right? I guess I could just automatically kill my second son to prevent them from falling away from me and then work towards getting one or two of them back to primogeniture. I was planning on establishing an empire because I'm next in line for the throne of England so that might work?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I mean yeah but if you're going to do that you may as well just allow laws and set primogeniture anyway? Then your large adult sons can become useful as military commanders / cannon fodder

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Right, so you can set laws in console? I'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Volkerball posted:

Why is holding more than one kingdom title bad? Honest question, I sometimes do this but did not have major problems with it so far, but maybe I was just lucky.

If Ironman is turned off you can in the console allow_laws and freely change every law in every title you hold, no matter if regular or succession. However if you have to get the council or vassals to sign off on it (I don't think that's the case when changing succession laws this way, as the console command also circumvents requirements in general) it may be impossible or take a long time.