Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bitmap posted:

in liquid form, for washing up dishes yes

we just call it soap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also called soap.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

we can be unimaginatively descriptive in our naming of things, it is true; from yesterday:

we call that weatherstripping

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

are you sure y'all actually speak English?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol "in my death please make sure the poors don't get my my money"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

although that towel crammed under the door to stop drafts does have an analogue in America. stupid teenager stoners that smoke inside will cram towels under doors in a futile effort to limit the smell

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

poty posted:

does the house of lords have a cool speaker we can make into an internet meme

lol

the queen empowers 2 maces associated w the house of lords. one mace is placed, by a yeoman usher of the black rod, behind the presiding lord on an ceremonial cushion symbolizing the importance of wool. until ww2, this cushion was stuffed w horse-hair. unless this mace is present, the lords temporal and lords spiritual are powerless to do a governance

the other mace is part of the accoutrements borne w the lord chancellor when conducting business outside of the houses of parliament, so that they can wield proper royal authority when the other parliamentary maces arent nearby. other accoutrements include a potent stamp called the great seal of the realm, and the chancellors purse (which holds the great seal)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Squizzle posted:

the queen empowers 2 maces associated w the house of lords. one mace is placed, by a yeoman usher of the black rod, behind the presiding lord on an ceremonial cushion symbolizing the importance of wool. until ww2, this cushion was stuffed w horse-hair. unless this mace is present, the lords temporal and lords spiritual are powerless to do a governance

the other mace is part of the accoutrements borne w the lord chancellor when conducting business outside of the houses of parliament, so that they can wield proper royal authority when the other parliamentary maces arent nearby. other accoutrements include a potent stamp called the great seal of the realm, and the chancellors purse (which holds the great seal)

Lmao

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

you think that’s made up. Last time I tried to read about the Lords I got as far as Lords Temporal and gave up laughing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My only real goal left in life is to be or have the title “Law Lord”

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Hexyflexy posted:

you think that’s made up. Last time I tried to read about the Lords I got as far as Lords Temporal and gave up laughing.

*Descends from the rafters* I am the Lords Spiritual. *Clasps mace of the commons* Come at me, Black Rod!!!!!!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
He-Man & the Masters of Brexit

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Masters of the EUniverse

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

poty posted:

does the house of lords have a cool speaker we can make into an internet meme

The Lord Speaker sits on a big sack of wool because wool was an important commodity 700 years ago

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the entirety of british govt is made up of setting material editors cut from ad&d manuals in the late 1980s

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Squizzle posted:

the entirety of british govt is made up of setting material editors cut from ad&d manuals in the late 1980s

i thought THAC0 was outlawed by the magna carta

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

lol I thought you were joking until the second paragraph, because I recognize that part from Wolf Hall.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doccykins posted:

mea culpa alex hern i didn't realise this tidbit lol
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1113803270538108929

how did you guys come up with a more dipshit way to do things than america

I mean I suppose the answer is you've had a millennium's running start but still

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Squizzle posted:

there are two entrances to the house of lords, one of bone and one of ivory. One contains votes that are based on truth, the other on lies

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Samovar posted:

Anyone read that Brincel piece? Any 'good' parts in it? I'd read it myself but my brain refuses to let my finger click the link.

Neither Francois or Bridgen have yet expressed themselves with the passion that Baker has, perhaps only because they are not able to. (One Tory Brexiteer describes the three men thus: “Mark Francois: idiot, Andrew Bridgen: 75% idiot, Steve Baker: sometimes lets his emotions cloud his judgment”). When members of the ERG started to say last week that they would fall in behind May’s deal, Baker wrote in a WhatsApp group: “I could tear this place down and bulldoze it into the river. These fools and knaves and cowards are voting on things they don’t even understand.” On Monday, in keeping with what some are calling the “little corporal” theme on his side of the argument, Baker introduced himself on Sky News as “Brexit hardman Steve Baker”. “He thinks he is on a mission from God to save us from Europe”, a Tory colleague told me.

Then there is Chope, best known for blocking attempts to tackle female genital mutilation and upskirting, and advising in recent weeks that those at risk from knife crime could protect themselves by “being fitter”. There is Cash, who complained that May’s deal would “castrate” the house, and there is Jenkin, who has attempted to answer Scottish objections to Brexit by saying that England had “let” them vote “in our referendum”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm starting to see why a strange lady in a pond distributing swords was considered sound basis for a system of government

Also reminded of that old Doctor Who episode where the Doctor is elected the President of the Time lords or something

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm starting to see why brexit isn't going too well

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So the british voted against hard brexit again and to extend the deadline but the EU was pretty adamant that they weren't getting another one unless they agreed to participate in the EU elections. So, did the MPs actually vote yes on that or do they just expect to get another free extension?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the system was based on pulling swords from stones or anvils on stones and not catching swords thrown by nymphs. Monty python got that wrong but it’s funnier the way they did it so whatever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

you expect a few tics and ceremonial quirks in any govt but britains govt is composed of a robust framework of symbolic pixie dancing nonsense, from which some functional elements are dangled

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

its all load-bearing drywall and insulated stairs and rn the govt is trying to saw thru a structural beam to install a bathtub rock hole

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its funny americans asking if we speak english meanwhile i watched an episode of its always sunny last night where they were talking about the secret tunnel in the oliday inn

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

the system was based on pulling swords from stones or anvils on stones and not catching swords thrown by nymphs. Monty python got that wrong but it’s funnier the way they did it so whatever.

i really like how some modern tellings unite the sword in the stone w excalibur by having arthur try to ditch the sword into the lake and the lady is like, nope, take it back

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the stuff about mark francois' toy-army inspired militarism is great

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So the british voted against hard brexit again and to extend the deadline but the EU was pretty adamant that they weren't getting another one unless they agreed to participate in the EU elections. So, did the MPs actually vote yes on that or do they just expect to get another free extension?

we've been prepping for eu elections for months

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

i thought THAC0 was outlawed by the magna carta

manga carta?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Squizzle posted:

its all load-bearing drywall and insulated stairs and rn the govt is trying to saw thru a structural beam to install a bathtub rock hole

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spangly A posted:

the stuff about mark francois' toy-army inspired militarism is great

we've been prepping for eu elections for months

Yeah you've also been prepping for Brexit for years and look how well thats going

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Squizzle posted:

the lords temporal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the Time lords

:thunk:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:eyepop:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

manga carta?

magma charizard

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

its funny americans asking if we speak english meanwhile i watched an episode of its always sunny last night where they were talking about the secret tunnel in the oliday inn

That tunnel is real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean I'm not one to talk given Australia has a constitutional crisis p much every time someone actually reads the constitution

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Anyone read that Brincel piece? Any 'good' parts in it? I'd read it myself but my brain refuses to let my finger click the link.

https://twitter.com/brexit_asexual?lang=en-gb
I am not sure how to comment.
@Dril thanks. but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&