Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

turn off the TV posted:

i like it when i have diarrhea and shoot pills out of my rear end

this is real af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mariana Horchata posted:

this is real af

whom amongst us

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i'm two weeks out of the trymp thraeds and i'm on a full news break. i may not return to trupm threads. i also stopped reading wwe threads bc i don't watch wwe. this is not the first (nor will it be the last) time that i have had this experience.

it is remarkable how much of my time was spent reading things and getting upset. like i'll turn on the computer, look at a few sites, then kinda stare at my browser's speed dial blankly, realizing that this is when i'd be looking at the news obsessively.

related, i had the day off and had time to myself to go and do something for fun, for and by myself. i got in the car and ran a few errands, then it washed over me that i don't do anything for fun. getting upset was my leisure of choice. i wanted to cry but i had to laugh, you know?

so i laid in bed and played a dumb app game on my phone, bc that's REALLY what i do for fun. cat snuggled up and i felt okay.

i also overslept by an hour and missed my therapy appointment. i'm making a new one for next week (later in the day) after i get my schedule for next week. keep on keepin on thread

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i'm two weeks out of the trymp thraeds and i'm on a full news break. i may not return to trupm threads. i also stopped reading wwe threads bc i don't watch wwe. this is not the first (nor will it be the last) time that i have had this experience.

it is remarkable how much of my time was spent reading things and getting upset. like i'll turn on the computer, look at a few sites, then kinda stare at my browser's speed dial blankly, realizing that this is when i'd be looking at the news obsessively.

related, i had the day off and had time to myself to go and do something for fun, for and by myself. i got in the car and ran a few errands, then it washed over me that i don't do anything for fun. getting upset was my leisure of choice. i wanted to cry but i had to laugh, you know?

so i laid in bed and played a dumb app game on my phone, bc that's REALLY what i do for fun. cat snuggled up and i felt okay.

i also overslept by an hour and missed my therapy appointment. i'm making a new one for next week (later in the day) after i get my schedule for next week. keep on keepin on thread

in the week since I’ve dropped the trump thread from my life I’ve learned to weave alphabet letters

tomorrow, we remember sailor :patriot:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Trump thread could and once did function as a support group for people like us who feel compelled to closely monitor the trainwreck that is TRUNP, but unfortunately some of the loudest voices insist upon reacting with absolute misery and despair rather than any kind of resolve, and as such it has become toxic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The garment-rending after Barr’s summary of the Mueller report got pretty tedious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The garment-rending after Barr’s summary of the Mueller report got pretty tedious.

I mean that was pretty disappointing but death crew really upped their game after that

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
To counter anxiety I am applying curiosity by learning new, obscure programming languages.

I looked at COBOL.

Don't look at COBOL. It's the coding equivalent of the necronomicon

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Try brainfuck.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

To counter anxiety I am applying curiosity by learning new, obscure programming languages.

I looked at COBOL.

So are you trying to get a federal job to replace the 80-90 y/o person who runs the Treasury or some other agencies antique COBOL programs?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I looked at COBOL.

I love cobol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chokes McGee posted:

I looked at COBOL.

what don’t you like about it? maybe it’s a Rorschach language

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I love talking poo poo about programming languages

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I taught myself to sew.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when my computer has problems i turn it off then on again. i have no opinion on coding languages. but i have stopped reading the teump thread, but still read the gently caress the police thread, so my blood is still at a high simmer but not a full boil

animist
Aug 28, 2018
yospos, bicth

animist
Aug 28, 2018
yospos, bicth but i'm referring to my brain's OS

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Tryin to coax my brain in to getting back to hobbyist gamedev but I end up working on that sort of poo poo until 5am sometimes which is bad

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nick Soapdish posted:

So are you trying to get a federal job to replace the 80-90 y/o person who runs the Treasury or some other agencies antique COBOL programs?

It's more I like obscure things and am bored out of my skull, so why not look into it?

quote:

$ SET SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"
IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. PerformFormat4.
AUTHOR. Michael Coughlan.
* An example program using the PERFORM..VARYING format.
* Pay particular attention to the values produced by the
* WITH TEST BEFORE and WITH TEST AFTER loops.
* Note that the PERFORM within a PERFORM produces the same
* results as the PERFORM..VARYING..AFTER

DATA DIVISION.
WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01 LoopCount PIC 9 VALUE ZEROS.
01 LoopCount2 PIC S9 VALUE ZEROS.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
Begin.
DISPLAY "Start WHILE Iteration of LoopBody"
PERFORM LoopBody WITH TEST BEFORE
VARYING LoopCount FROM 1 BY 2
UNTIL LoopCount GREATER THAN 5.
DISPLAY "Finished WHILE iteration. LoopCount = " LoopCount.

DISPLAY "Start REPEAT Iteration of LoopBody"
PERFORM LoopBody WITH TEST AFTER
VARYING LoopCount FROM 1 BY 2
UNTIL LoopCount GREATER THAN 5.
DISPLAY "Finished REPEAT iteration. LoopCount = " LoopCount.

DISPLAY "Start inline loops"
PERFORM VARYING LoopCount FROM 1 BY 1
UNTIL LoopCount GREATER THAN 4
PERFORM VARYING LoopCount2 FROM 5 BY -2
UNTIL LoopCount2 LESS THAN ZERO
DISPLAY "InLine loop " WITH NO ADVANCING
DISPLAY "LoopCount = " LoopCount " LoopCount2 = " LoopCount2
END-PERFORM
END-PERFORM.
DISPLAY "Finished inline loops".

DISPLAY "Start PERFORM VARYING..AFTER".
PERFORM LoopBody VARYING LoopCount FROM 1 BY 1
UNTIL LoopCount GREATER THAN 4
AFTER LoopCount2 FROM 5 BY -2
UNTIL LoopCount2 LESS THAN ZERO.
DISPLAY "Finished PERFORM VARYING..AFTER".
STOP RUN.

LoopBody.
DISPLAY "LoopBody " WITH NO ADVANCING
DISPLAY "LoopCount = " LoopCount " LoopCount2 = " LoopCount2.

oh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I taught myself to sew.

:yeah:

I'd like to make my own clothes one day, but it requires a sewing machine and way more time than I'm willing to invest.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chokes McGee posted:

:yeah:

I'd like to make my own clothes one day, but it requires a sewing machine and way more time than I'm willing to invest.

Sewing machines are super fun. Like, it's a woman's thing, right? But it's a precision instrument that's used to 1.) build, 2.) repair, and 3.) modify. I've been using my wife's sewing machine more than her lately and having a blast with it. I'd recommend anybody get a cheap one, some needles, bobbins, and thread and start by patching your own clothes that need repair. Or make some scrub pants. Go hog wild. It's really absorbing and meditative and time just flies by at the kitchen table with a beer.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Cosigned, my mom did a lot of sewing when I was growing up and as a theatre major I took costuming which gets you familiar with some basic repairs and builds. I don't have a sewing machine any more but I'm able to repair basic rips in clothing or re-attach buttons with a needle and thread and it feels really good to be able to solve those problems myself rather than have to stress out about buying new clothes or finding someone reliable / cheap to repair them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaptainRat posted:

Cosigned, my mom did a lot of sewing when I was growing up and as a theatre major I took costuming which gets you familiar with some basic repairs and builds. I don't have a sewing machine any more but I'm able to repair basic rips in clothing or re-attach buttons with a needle and thread and it feels really good to be able to solve those problems myself rather than have to stress out about buying new clothes or finding someone reliable / cheap to repair them.

they have cosplay patterns at Joanne's now and I just don't know what the gently caress

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
cobol verada nikto
cosplay verada nikto

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

cobol verada nikto
cosplay verada nikto

*distant thunderclap*

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

I've read a bunch of this thread and peoples' accounts, but not all of them. Wish I'd read it sooner.

I've dealt with depression and anxiety for 18 years or so now, but it's been about 13 years since I was last medicated or anything. Trump's election kind of started me back down those roads. My wife and I are both endangered species biologists, which means we're de facto climate change scientists, so we're pretty constantly faced with realizations of how lovely things are in some regards.

The DOE has launched ARPA-E - MEITNER which will allow startups to iterate GEN4 nuclear. GEN4 nuclear doesn't melt down and reuses nuclear waste so it's completely renewable. Climate change will be solved so don't worry we'll be fine. Turn off the news and politics. Listen to positive things each day. You'll be happier.

Gianthogweed has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Apr 5, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gianthogweed posted:

The DOE has launched ARPA-4 which will allow startups to iterate GEN4 nuclear. GEN4 nuclear doesn't melt down and reuses nuclear waste so it's completely renewable. Climate change will be solved so don't worry we'll be fine. Turn off the news and politics. Listen to positive things each day. You'll be happier.

That’s a nice idea but it doesn’t solve many of the ecological disasters that have been set in motion by climate change and other anthropogenic factors though. You could completely reverse global warming and that wouldn’t do much for the acceleration of nonnative species radiation, eutrophication of surface waters, high altitude nitrogen deposition, depletion of aquifers, sedimentation, the list goes on. Ignoring those things would be irresponsible of me, since my career is dealing with a lot of that stuff. Ignoring the news and politics around them isn’t an option either, because again, it’s my career and understanding their handling at the highest levels of government is critical for me if I want to continue to be an expert in my field and try to make sure there are policies in place to protect our natural resources for generations to come.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That’s a nice idea but it doesn’t solve many of the ecological disasters that have been set in motion by climate change and other anthropogenic factors though. You could completely reverse global warming and that wouldn’t do much for the acceleration of nonnative species radiation, eutrophication of surface waters, high altitude nitrogen deposition, depletion of aquifers, sedimentation, the list goes on. Ignoring those things would be irresponsible of me, since my career is dealing with a lot of that stuff. Ignoring the news and politics around them isn’t an option either, because again, it’s my career and understanding their handling at the highest levels of government is critical for me if I want to continue to be an expert in my field and try to make sure there are policies in place to protect our natural resources for generations to come.

:thejoke:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Lmao I stayed on the same spot on the floor for 4 hours cool

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so, i'm now on a combination of effexor and wellbutrin, and i'm feeling... pretty good. i still get sad when bad stuff happens, but it takes effort to be miserable longer than a couple of minutes. given that i'm lazy as gently caress, that's just too much work to keep doing something i don't enjoy anyway.

so i don't. sitting down and figuring a plan has been a big help in that. and on top of that, i'm finding motivation to do things now*. i know things like 'taking trash to the dump' or 'cleaning out my car' or 'writing out that story idea i always talk about' are pretty mundane, but just to be able to do them has been a giant leap for a major depressive with a skull full of busted headmeats like myself. just had a therapy session today, and my counselor was pretty impressed by how things were going.

i may not be on dry land, but at least i don't feel like i'm gonna drown anymore.

* my counselor: "well, wellbutrin is chemically similar to meth, so that's... yeah."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

Lmao I stayed on the same spot on the floor for 4 hours cool

I do it eight hours every night :smug:

in all seriousness though, try to get up and move around a little if just to go to the bathroom. then see if you can get a snack afterwards. then see if you can walk around between rooms a few times.

I find I have to set micro goals to get me going again when I bottom out like that

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i may not be on dry land, but at least i don't feel like i'm gonna drown anymore.

another cspam mental health thread success story :hai:

I’m glad to hear you’ve got the right cocktail. Keep in mind it’s still normal to be sad sometimes, so if that’s all it is and doesn’t send you into a spiral, that’s a good sign.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I live in a state with legal medical marijuana and I qualify on three symptoms (none of them are the really important ones but whatever) and I messaged my doctor (who I haven't spoken to in a year because I stopped taking their pills because all of them made me feel awful and it was far too expensive (around 300$ a month)) and said "we're all going to die in 11 years from climate change, I'm in chronic pain and sperg, can I have weed so that I'm at least happy for the end of civilization"

And now I'm being hounded by some mental health like reach out unit trying to bleed me dry of money by getting me therapy.

So now I have no weed and spam calls.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I live in a state with legal medical marijuana and I qualify on three symptoms (none of them are the really important ones but whatever) and I messaged my doctor (who I haven't spoken to in a year because I stopped taking their pills because all of them made me feel awful and it was far too expensive (around 300$ a month)) and said "we're all going to die in 11 years from climate change, I'm in chronic pain and sperg, can I have weed so that I'm at least happy for the end of civilization"

And now I'm being hounded by some mental health like reach out unit trying to bleed me dry of money by getting me therapy.

So now I have no weed and spam calls.

:stare:

what were you taking that cost $300 a month

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

long release fluvoxomine, buspirone, a couple other ones I always forget the name of.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

without insurance my daily meds (buprenorphine and escitalopram) would cost me more than that. With insurance I pay around $40.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

twoday posted:

in re: vitamin D, SAD, sadbrains in general, the dark times, clouds, sun, spring

i'm waiting to get back on that sweet sweet medicaid before i talk to a doctor about this:

i'm a bit worried that -- if such a thing could exist -- and no, i am not a hypochondriac; if anything, i'm the opposite -- i've got some Seasonally Affective Mania goin on

seems that i have become manic around the vernal equinox for many years in a row

lol

guess i'll see about getting re-screened for bipolar

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

you know what just gently caress this post

juche avocado has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 5, 2019

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

anyway as a proud haver of 0 melanin i'm super fuckin good at synthesizing vitamin d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

* my counselor: "well, wellbutrin is chemically similar to meth, so that's... yeah."

oh

lmao

hi thread hi how are you i've got four posts for ya sorry about that