Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It absolutely didn't come about from disabled people since they were too busy playing Sekiro to complain about it online. Journalists are bad at games and this conversation comes up literally every time a souls game comes out, which is interesting since plenty of tough games never catch their pants on fire quite like it. Dead Cells won awards just a few months ago and that conversation never came up. You're straight up wrong and an rear end in a top hat to boot, but stay woke king. 👌😂

I'm not sure how I should respond to this since even you seem to realize it makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

A bigger and easier thing a lot of games should have as standard are visibility and auditory options in menus etc

They should! That needs to become more of a standard.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

going to read the patty k articel and then debate it on these very forums

thank you patrick

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

video games are like the only artistic medium that allows your audience to tailor the experience to themselves, so i think creators playing to that strength is generally a good call. but at the same time, the audience is fully capable of playing to that strength by hacking their ps4, or grabbing someone elses save file, or running cheatengine or a mod or a trainer. its fine to criticize it for lacking the explicit easy mode option, but its also not some impossible wall that cant be mitigated

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sekiro also has in game difficulty options, Easy and Normal (demon bell)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Sekiro also has in game difficulty options, Easy and Normal (demon bell)

you can also use stealth instakills, you can run away from or past most minibosses, use the level to your advantage, explore to find more heals, pop consumables, grind for upgrade materials and skill points, practice with the undying guy, etc.

its really not as inflexible as ppl say. but most of the criticism ive seen was from stubborn people who dont want to learn how to play the game as intended, so who knows

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I ran past a lot of minibosses simply because theyre scary looking...dont even wanna learn what that guys deal is

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Cuphead needed an easy mode for the tutorial apparently.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This gamer thinks that accessibility options and easy mode aren't the same thing. Subtitles or braille or whatever doesn't gently caress up a movie or book, but if they don't help you understand it then maybe your not meant to. And no one ever got mad about that. I don't know if this Games fucktard is even siding with Game's Too Hard journalism at this point or just picking a fight because someone brought up disabled gamers on youtube but if so, gently caress you man. You wouldn't suck Patrick Klepek's dick if he complained about James Joyce not having a Normie mode for Finnegan's Wake or whatever.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Squeezy Farm posted:

thank you patrick

Sad bro. I Saw The Kantent!!! Yeah. Sure. Get carried you small, weirdly mustached little bitch. The Smash community would have you tarred and feathered if you pulled this poo poo at Tampa Nationals.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Du.
Du Läng.
Du Läng Zone.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

esperterra posted:

not entirely related, but there's also a blind dude who loves the oddworld games b/c the sound design in them is so good he could learn to beat them from mostly that alone

it's real cool !!

Squeezy Farm posted:

thank you patrick

HolePisser1982 posted:

video games are like the only artistic medium that allows your audience to tailor the experience to themselves, so i think creators playing to that strength is generally a good call. but at the same time, the audience is fully capable of playing to that strength by hacking their ps4, or grabbing someone elses save file, or running cheatengine or a mod or a trainer. its fine to criticize it for lacking the explicit easy mode option, but its also not some impossible wall that cant be mitigated

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Demanding David Lynch release an easy mode Mulholland Drive

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

Cuphead needed an easy mode for the tutorial apparently.

Cuphead easy mode was still too hard for them and they still complained. You literally cannot win against these types of people when they've dug their heels in, it's impossible.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

esperterra posted:

not entirely related, but there's also a blind dude who loves the oddworld games b/c the sound design in them is so good he could learn to beat them from mostly that alone

it's real cool !!

Someone did this with FFXIII too. It rules

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What's next, an easy mode to clean your room? Actually that sounds pretty good tbh

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

What actually bothers me about all this is people like Patrick using disabled people like a shield against criticism, trying to be the voice of this issue with his bad article instead of letting actual disabled folks take the lead in the conversation. That’s the problem with “woke” folks in general. They want to be at the front of the line of causes to play hero instead of just shutting up and listening

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

This gamer thinks that accessibility options and easy mode aren't the same thing. Subtitles or braille or whatever doesn't gently caress up a movie or book, but if they don't help you understand it then maybe your not meant to. And no one ever got mad about that. I don't know if this Games fucktard is even siding with Game's Too Hard journalism at this point or just picking a fight because someone brought up disabled gamers on youtube but if so, gently caress you man. You wouldn't suck Patrick Klepek's dick if he complained about James Joyce not having a Normie mode for Finnegan's Wake or whatever.

yes, there are different categories of accessibility options. Some are tied to physical dexterity, some aren't. in this case once again people are acting like talk of benign changes to their favorite games are part of some Games Journalism SJW crusade.

I'm not even talking about klepek, he just jumped into this yesterday afaik after ben put up his dumb "I understand there are real world physical restrictions for some people who want to play through Sekiro but not every game has to be for everyone" take. Patrick sucks and is easy to dunk on but come on.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Klepec talked about visiting a third world sweatshop named after his dad on the bombcast

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

What actually bothers me about all this is people like Patrick using disabled people like a shield against criticism, trying to be the voice of this issue with his bad article instead of letting actual disabled folks take the lead in the conversation. That’s the problem with “woke” folks in general. They want to be at the front of the line of causes to play hero instead of just shutting up and listening

This is why Patrick's article sucks, he doesn't even quote any of the people actually leading the discussion in game communities. And yes, performative woke shitheads suck, but the solution isn't "they should stop even pretending to be woke and do nothing"

I know there are people who don't care for or want these options, and that's cool! There are also others who do want them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

First off, I’m the biggest SJW on these forums. Second off, Bob this is your fault for not qualifying your post with a 2000 word woke gamer essay covering every possible angle. Due diligence bro.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

First off, I’m the biggest SJW on these forums. Second off, Bob this is your fault for not qualifying your post with a 2000 word woke gamer essay covering every possible angle. Due diligence bro.

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wormskull posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

And yes, performative woke shitheads suck, but the solution isn't "they should stop even pretending to be woke and do nothing"

Actually they should since all they do is add unwanted noise to the discussion, drowning out the voices of the people they have assigned themselves to champion.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Wormskull posted:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'd prefer they listen to and elevate those voices tbh

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm also inclined to believe if Sekiro was a western developed game it wouldn't have made 1/10th of a splash it has with the woke gamer community but that's a whole other bag of worms.

Tender Bender posted:

I'd prefer they listen to and elevate those voices tbh

They only care to elevate their own brand and website clicks. Sorry if you are actually this naive

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm also inclined to believe if Sekiro was a western developed game it wouldn't have made 1/10th of a splash it has with the woke gamer community but that's a whole other bag of worms.

They only care to elevate their own brand and website clicks. Sorry if you are actually this naive

I mean, okay, but the point still stands that the solution to fixing performative wokeness isn't "just go away"

and lol at slipping some "actually the Woke people might just be racist" in there

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also God knows what would have happened to any game where they spent developing time on making whole second version for 5 foot tall Twitter bloggers dude. gently caress you. They don’t owe anyone a game they have the nards to beat. And if the complaint’s about the toxic community then just be a grownup and don’t let people talking poo poo about how you play a game ruin your day.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I haven’t even played sekiro but it’s probably hilariously easy.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I mean, okay, but the point still stands that the solution to fixing performative wokeness isn't "just go away"

and lol at slipping some "actually the Woke people might just be racist" in there

Nah they should probably go away. Kinda like you should now

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2019

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I wasn't slipping anything in, I'm pretty sure I just came out and said what I meant to say. Maybe you'll grow a backbone someday and will be able to do that too

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hope From makes a journalist version of the game next time and then releases the real one for grown rear end gamers to play.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Also God knows what would have happened to any game where they spent developing time on making whole second version for 5 foot tall Twitter bloggers dude. gently caress you. They don’t owe anyone a game they have the nards to beat. And if the complaint’s about the toxic community then just be a grownup and don’t let people talking poo poo about how you play a game ruin your day.

Same, though? I don't see anyone saying "Fromsoft is Canceled", it's just people saying they'd like games to be more accessible.

This thread only got into it when when Ben pushed back and said "I understand there are real world physical restrictions for some people who want to play through Sekiro but not every game has to be for everyone", and doubled down when people replied.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im often impressed by just how bad of a writer pat is

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
look at that final line "The goal posts are always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers."

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Same, though? I don't see anyone saying "Fromsoft is Canceled", it's just people saying they'd like games to be more accessible.

This thread only got into it when when Ben pushed back and said "I understand there are real world physical restrictions for some people who want to play through Sekiro but not every game has to be for everyone", and doubled down when people replied.

This thread only got into it because your clown rear end showed up 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s not the same because in one instance your telling people they have an obligation to compromise their craftwork. Stupid clown. You can’t program toxic gatekeeping into the game dude. Some people just can’t handle it. Whatevs.