Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

Numbers getting lower, Lords falling asleep.

In fairness those chairs do look very comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bundy posted:

Lords now onto the 13th filibuster after destroying the 12th 238-61.

What's going on?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Now do one where they've all died

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
And what was the 12th.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CyberPingu posted:

What's going on?

Yvette Cooper's bill yesterday, which won by a single vote and would require the prime minister to seek an extension from Europe, was a new bill and is now going through the Lords. A handful of brexiteer lords have scheduled amendments to the bill in order to allow them to speak and require them to vote, thereby delaying if not filibustering progress on the bill.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
How hard is it to grow veg in your back garden? Not because of Brexit (It's too late to start thinking about that), but I have a spare section in my garden that's growing nothing but weeds.

I have thought about veg (and herbs?) before, but I don't want to get myself into something that'll suck up a huge amount of my time.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness those chairs do look very comfortable.

The HoL does look so much more comfortable than the HoC.

Love you man :)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mediadave posted:

How hard is it to grow veg in your back garden? Not because of Brexit (It's too late to start thinking about that), but I have a spare section in my garden that's growing nothing but weeds.

I have thought about veg (and herbs?) before, but I don't want to get myself into something that'll suck up a huge amount of my time.

It depends on where you live. What you want to grow and how much you think a huge amount of time is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediadave posted:

Fairly easy afaik. Put old veg in ground, dig more veg up later. You can make a planter if your soil is bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Potatoes are the easiest.

My back yard runs east-west and only has a thin strip of sunlight running along the fence though. :(

I've considered a vertical garden for the fence itself. The other wall is one of those huge factory walls.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Get an allotment, grow fruit and make jam like JC

e: Basically it's a trade off between how hard things are to grow, how delicious they are and how cheap they are to just buy. Potatoes, onions and stuff like that are cheap as poo poo anyway so why bother for the relatively small quantities you'll be growing.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2019

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Guavanaut posted:

My back yard runs east-west and only has a thin strip of sunlight running along the fence though. :(

Something something arduinos, servos, articulated mirrors.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

sebzilla posted:

Allotments are enormously harder than gardens in my experience, as adjacent allotment holders will run wailing to the management at the first sight of a weed on yours. :mad:

Seconding fruit suggestion, and above all Jerusalem artichokes, which require no care beyond stopping them take over your garden. Most other veg way cheaper than growing your own.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mediadave posted:

depends on the veg, you can choose the difficulty level yourself pretty much. also depends on sun and wind conditions of course

If you're looking for something to plant and forget, get yourself some currants or gooseberries. They require basically nothing and make tasty stuff happen

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

e: Basically it's a trade off between how hard things are to grow, how delicious they are and how cheap they are to just buy. Potatoes, onions and stuff like that are cheap as poo poo anyway so why bother for the relatively small quantities you'll be growing.

Peas and green beans give the best effort/taste ratio, IMO. Tomatoes out of a growbag are pretty good too.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Cheers all.

So they need a lot of sun? The patch is partly shadowed by my fence, for a good part of the day, though there are plenty of flowers (and weeds) that are growing by that fence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Something something arduinos, servos, articulated mirrors.
lol, I did consider that. It'd be much easier if the sun was due north because then the high wall would be the bit getting the sun, but I can't change that one.

Vertical garden is the easiest way and I should start hoarding pop bottles.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gort posted:

Their what?

When they cross themselves - "In the name of the father..."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

When they cross themselves - "In the name of the father..."
Cue the thousand "How'd you make a Catholic cross?" "Think for yourself." jokes.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guavanaut posted:

lol, I did consider that. It'd be much easier if the sun was due north because then the high wall would be the bit getting the sun, but I can't change that one.

Vertical garden is the easiest way and I should start hoarding pop bottles.

I saw a fairly ingenious solution using a bellows set up where heat expansion allowed them to open and close over one axis to chase the sun

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's amazing that May filled a bunch of ministerial vacancies today, and yet still hasn't got anyone to be disabilities minister. Presumably because they all know full well how hard the disabled are getting hosed by their own policies and none of them want to carry the can for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

I saw a fairly ingenious solution using a bellows set up where heat expansion allowed them to open and close over one axis to chase the sun
Got a link?

I always wondered why there weren't more solar/solar-thermal powered air conditioners. That's the kind of thing that you only really need to work when it's hot and sunny.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This is a very cool account worth checking out if not shared already (posting this one as I haven't seen anything of them posted today):

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1113682923327303680

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Scikar posted:

It's amazing that May filled a bunch of ministerial vacancies today, and yet still hasn't got anyone to be disabilities minister. Presumably because they all know full well how hard the disabled are getting hosed by their own policies and none of them want to carry the can for it.

Maybe Tories actually don't think the disabled exist, rather than pretend like they don't.

or "Disabled means Disabled"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Disabled means Fit to Work"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Man hangs up on phone in show when pressed for logic on his Leave position

I do love me some James O'Brien

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Guavanaut posted:

Got a link?

I always wondered why there weren't more solar/solar-thermal powered air conditioners. That's the kind of thing that you only really need to work when it's hot and sunny.

https://www.sunfolding.com/media-room/feature-t29v1062018

Disclaimer in that it literally popped up and I’m not too sure on all their claims

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

I ended up designing sex toys while I worked in motorsport aniways (I wish this was a joke)

Why ashamed? Probably brought more enjoyment to society than 90 percent of other professions during that period.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sorry but he's garbage and managing to be better than completely reactionary Leavers is an insanely low bar to jump.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Regardless of your thoughts on the BBC are, this was pretty refreshing and hopefully a positive outcome after the outrage on their LGBT question on QT/internal lecture on impartiality:

https://twitter.com/OneTenTwelve/status/1113713151361671170

namesake posted:

Sorry but he's garbage and managing to be better than completely reactionary Leavers is an insanely low bar to jump.

I like him v:shobon:v

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'm the cool guy at the back just chillin' :cool:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bundy posted:

Regardless of your thoughts on the BBC are, this was pretty refreshing and hopefully a positive outcome after the outrage on their LGBT question on QT/internal lecture on impartiality:

https://twitter.com/OneTenTwelve/status/1113713151361671170

I like him v:shobon:v

James O'Brien is a centrist melt oval office.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

nah everyone at LBC is a prick

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yup. Anyone who cheerfully pals along with Nigel loving Farage can get in the sea too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ok well I'm glad people have their own opinions, I'm not here to dictate what forms of entertainment you should/shouldn't like I simply found it funny that a Leaver hung up the phone when asked to explain their terrible Leave logic, so if the dogpile over me liking one (1) phone in show on LBC could stop that'd be ace.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup. Anyone who cheerfully pals along with Nigel loving Farage can get in the sea too.

You don't have colleagues or friends with whom you disagree politically?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/status/1113835454112194560?s=21

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bundy posted:

Ok well I'm glad people have their own opinions, I'm not here to dictate what forms of entertainment you should/shouldn't like I simply found it funny that a Leaver hung up the phone when asked to explain their terrible Leave logic, so if the dogpile over me liking one (1) phone in show on LBC could stop that'd be ace.

My first exposure to James O'Brien was for the same funny videos of idiot leavers getting flustered and I thought it was great but literally everything else he does and says is awful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bundy posted:

I have friends and colleagues I disagree with politically (not many, mind, because I don't associate with horrible people in general).

None of them are fascists and I would not continue to be friends, family, or colleagues with a fascist.

Nigel Farage is a fascist, and LBC givign him a platform automatically makes them complicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bundy posted:

and take money from, and promote, and normalize.

galaxy o'brain ain't hanging out with someone he disagrees with, he works for the loving fash. he exists as a counterpoint so that every other presenter can be even more atrocious - and given that counterpoint is, at best, centre right, he ain't countering poo poo.