Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

This tweet is from last year you can’t pass that off as a mistake lol.

What’s it even about?

it's in reaction to pence going to the indianapolis colts game and wasting hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to angrily walk out when the ungrateful athletes knelt during the anthem.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/917368405463887873

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently he's talking about how Mike Pence is sincere, just a horrible person, but sincerely horrible not bad-faith horrible. I'm not sure why it's controversial

in the end it doesn't matter if your monstrosity is heartfelt or you're doing it as a grift (and if you do it as a grift long enough you're gonna be a true believer anyway).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

"When Pence was governor of Indiana, causing an AIDS crisis and treating women and LGBT people as subhuman filth, he did it with decorum. How the mighty have fallen." -Pete Buttigieg, apparently

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh I think I remember this. Lol stupid decorum bullshit from the West Wing candidate, color me shocked.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

you're citing a cumulative analysis of tax rates to say that bernie's free university plan would raise taxes on the poor? either you're incredibly stupid or being intentionally deceptive

I didn't say he would necessarily tax the poor to fund his college proposal. I said those who benefit will largely be the non-poor who attend college given the current economic disparities between those who are likely to attend. Reducing the cost of college could reduce those disparities, but it's hard to parse out what percentage are not attending due to academic performance in high school (which also correlates with income). I don't think 100% undergrad matriculation and graduation rates is the future.

Assuming you have fixed funds for any given social program, M4A is less regressive and more equally applied than free college given everyone benefits rather than the select population that attends free university, which will always skew wealthier with higher attendance rates.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This is almost comically stupid. You can use this argument against any sort of increase in social welfare spending, on the basis that people who lived before the improvement were not able to benefit from it. Maybe some people will be angry about it. Who cares? There's no real response to that "concern" of yours.

It's great because that argument applies to literally anything including his own incremental triangulating superficial bullshit.

Reducing interest rates? Well that would piss off people who paid higher interest rates in the past, whose taxes now must subsidize lower rates for freeloaders. Free community college? What about all the people who paid for their community college and who took out loans, now they have to pay again for other people's kids to coast on through :qq:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

I didn't say he would necessarily tax the poor to fund his college proposal. I said those who benefit will largely be the non-poor who attend college given the current economic disparities between those who are likely to attend.

I love the schizophrenic argument of "free college doesn't help the poor" versus "if you tax the rich they won't donate to private universities who need that money to offer free college to help the poor".

hesitating_between_two_buttons.png

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Who gives a poo poo?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Who gives a poo poo?
Lots of people, apparently. What a dumb question.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pete loving sucks and he should go the gently caress away forever because holy poo poo he’s badddddd

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lots of people, apparently. What a dumb question.

lots of idiots who vote Democrat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop being done in by small talk folksy charm, it's how they rope you into cults.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

KingNastidon posted:

I didn't say he would necessarily tax the poor to fund his college proposal. I said those who benefit will largely be the non-poor who attend college given the current economic disparities between those who are likely to attend. Reducing the cost of college could reduce those disparities, but it's hard to parse out what percentage are not attending due to academic performance in high school (which also correlates with income). I don't think 100% undergrad matriculation and graduation rates is the future.

Assuming you have fixed funds for any given social program, M4A is less regressive and more equally applied than free college given everyone benefits rather than the select population that attends free university, which will always skew wealthier with higher attendance rates.

M4A is already covered. Stop bullshitting, it’s not one or the other, it’s both

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1113862077842640898

:prepop:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

I've already said that you are pulling stuff out of your rear end, but just to use some real data here for you:

Using Carnegie data, there are 1432 2 year colleges with a full time equivalent enrollment of 3477105 in the fall of 2017 and 1406 4 year institutions that count as "inclusive" in Carnegie classification (i.e., require no test scores or accept virtually all test scores) with an enrollment of 3551407 in the fall of 2017. Compare that to 689 selective institutions with an enrollment of 3717570 and 428 more selective with an enrollment of 3949036.

So even setting aside the disgusting implication of "poor people dont go to school because they are too dumb, not too poor" argument you keep pushing, it is also categorically false. About half of all college students go to schools that don't require or don't care about test scores. And keep in my that I broke down the data in the way that is most advantageous to your argument. Because if I were to break down only selective and most selective schools with low transfer in, the numbers would be completely lopsided. Even among the "most selective" schools, there are more schools with high transfer in than low transfer in.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 5, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh my god :hmbol:

I hate, hate, hate that I'm having any positive reaction to anything from Trump/his account but broken clocks or something I guess

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I maintain that in The Good Timeline, Trump is a beloved Catskills insult comic

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

M4A is already covered. Stop bullshitting, it’s not one or the other, it’s both

And there's no way to disprove that theory until Sanders loses the primary and general or leftist candidates that hold his views don't get rapidly elected to house/senate/presidency. I don't blame you for having that stance or thinking it's the right thing to do, but a candidate proposing more modest reforms for college education doesn't seem like a huge deal given there's a reasonable case to be made it's less progressive and broadly applicable than other policy proposals. Not everyone can be Bernie and incremental reforms for college education don't hobble long-term goals as with healthcare and ACA/weak M4A buy-in.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TRUMP

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
man I miss 2016 primaries when the whole thing was just trump shitposting his way to victory

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Typo posted:

man I miss 2016 primaries when the whole thing was just trump shitposting his way to victory

except things started to get really bad when trump shitposted his way to victory.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Welp, Biden's campaign is over.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

joepinetree posted:

I've already said that you are pulling stuff out of your rear end, but just to use some real data here for you:

Using Carnegie data, there are 1432 2 year colleges with a full time equivalent enrollment of 3477105 in the fall of 2017 and 1406 4 year institutions that count as "inclusive" in Carnegie classification (i.e., require no test scores or accept virtually all test scores) with an enrollment of 3551407 in the fall of 2017. Compare that to 689 selective institutions with an enrollment of 3717570 and 428 most selective with an enrollment of 3949036.

So even setting aside the disgusting implication of "poor people dont go to school because they are too dumb, not too poor" argument you keep pushing, it is also categorically false. About half of all college students go to schools that don't require or don't care about test scores. And keep in my that I broke down the data in the way that is most advantageous to your argument. Because if I were to break down only selective and most selective schools with low transfer in, the numbers would be completely lopsided. Even among the "most selective" schools, there are more schools with high transfer in than low transfer in.

One group is those that were interested in attending university, but financially disadvantaged to the point where undergraduate loans were not sufficient to fund their education. This could be due to lack of family support for ancillary costs not covered by student loans or an economic situation where they needed to immediately pursue work to support their family. If you're only covering university tuition (as Sanders' plan does) these problems are not currently addressed. This could be addressed by more comprehensive plans that cover absolutely everything at a higher cost. But it doesn't address those that feel they need to immediately seek employment.

The other group are those that likely under-performed academically in high school such that they weren't interested in higher education or at least didn't feel it was a wise investment to pursue a bachelor's degree. This group will predominately go to your "inclusive" schools which will therefore be less selective (purely based on who they admit, which is a broader group) and the value of these degrees will be diminished. You're giving them a bachelor's degree, yes, but they're still towards the bottom of the totem pole in regards to their appeal to perspective employers. The job market and what those jobs pay doesn't necessarily change alongside the percent of people that have bachelor's degrees in any given specialty, so you're spending money on personal enrichment and a better educated populace. That has some value on its own, but it doesn't necessarily change the future career/income outcome for those that pursue it while still pushing costs of attendance to the broader population.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Imagine it's Joe Biden spitting a half eaten fish across the dinner table and then it lands in some woman's hair.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joepinetree posted:

So even setting aside the disgusting implication of "poor people dont go to school because they are too dumb, not too poor" argument you keep pushing, it is also categorically false.

What I find fascinating is the mental compartmentalization that allows him to make this false argument while simultaneously using its falsehood to support a different argument. Tuition cost is irrelevant because poor people are too stupid to get into college anyway and college is just for the rich, but also if you tax Wall Street this might eradicate all alumni donations (somehow) and this will hurt the career prospects of all the poor kids who attend private schools on need-based scholarships because college isn't just for the rich.

Schrödinger's poor kid: too stupid to get into college yet simultaneously dependent on sky-high tuition to give value to their college degree obtained on a need-based scholarship.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 4, 2019

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Radish posted:

Imagine it's Joe Biden spitting a half eaten fish across the dinner table and then it lands in some woman's hair.
I mean, if we're gonna go with a monty burns parallel why not just use the one where he sexually harasses Marge in the workplace?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

poo poo. Godamnit. That's funny.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

One group is those that were interested in attending university, but financially disadvantaged to the point where undergraduate loans were not sufficient to fund their education. This could be due to lack of family support for ancillary costs not covered by student loans or an economic situation where they needed to immediately pursue work to support their family. If you're only covering university tuition (as Sanders' plan does) these problems are not currently addressed. This could be addressed by more comprehensive plans that cover absolutely everything at a higher cost. But it doesn't address those that feel they need to immediately seek employment.

So the problem is that free tuition isn't generous enough for poor kids to buy books, and the solution (apparently) is to be even stingier and make them take out loans for books and tuition :downs:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pander posted:

I mean, if we're gonna go with a monty burns parallel why not just use the one where he sexually harasses Marge in the workplace?

Yeah but his surrogates failed to kidnap Stacy Abrams via knock out gas and chain her to his campaign.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Incremental solutions like free college are bad because they don't solve every other problem like the cost of books.

But also sweeping changes like free college are bad, we need to start with incremental solutions even if they don't solve every other problem.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

So the problem is that free tuition isn't generous enough for poor kids to buy books, and the solution (apparently) is to be even stingier and make them take out loans for books and tuition :downs:

You can have the whole hog to maximize matriculation VitalSigns! But if that's what you want then the current Sanders proposal is insufficient and if improved, the current funding plan needs expansion based on the increased cost! Presumably this will be even less popular to people that are more heavily affected by the tax and don't believe they'll gain from the policy. And especially those that are affiliated private universities that are even further disadvantaged with whole hog state college funding in their ability to attract quality students and especially subsidize the cost of education for their needier students!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

KingNastidon posted:

You can have the whole hog to maximize matriculation VitalSigns! But if that's what you want then the current Sanders proposal is insufficient and if improved, the current funding plan needs expansion based on the increased cost! Presumably this will be even less popular to people that are more heavily affected by the tax and don't believe they'll gain from the policy. And especially those that are affiliated private universities that are even further disadvantaged with whole hog state college funding in their ability to attract quality students and especially subsidize the cost of education for their needier students!

They can be thankful that there's educated kids and not roving gangs of Clockwork Orange maniacs running around after dark, maybe?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
if Democratic 2020 primaries is a video game TRUMP TWEETS would be a random event that fucks up your candidate's poll numbers by 5% or something

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

You can have the whole hog to maximize matriculation VitalSigns
Is free college "the whole hog" or not.

KingNastidon posted:

But if that's what you want then the current Sanders proposal is insufficient and if improved, the current funding plan needs expansion based on the increased cost!
It goes too far and that's bad but somehow it doesn't go far enough and that's also bad.

KingNastidon posted:

Presumably this will be even less popular to people that are more heavily affected by the tax and don't believe they'll gain from the policy. And especially those that are affiliated private universities that are even further disadvantaged with whole hog state college funding in their ability to attract quality students and especially subsidize the cost of education for their needier students!

Oh wait now it goes too far again.

An means-tested solution would actually be more unpopular because now you just told the middle class that they have to pay full price because they make too much money while other people's kids get in for free.

I notice Schrödinger's poor kid is back, is money a barrier to needy kids getting into university or are they all too stupid to get in, please clarify.

Actually please don't clarify, please shut the gently caress up, you're constantly owning yourself with your own contradictions, and it's so embarrassing I'm starting to wonder if you're pulling an Amergin and crossposting between here and some conservative forum to get the dumbest hot takes from the shittiest people.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 4, 2019

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Typo posted:

if Democratic 2020 primaries is a video game TRUMP TWEETS would be a random event that fucks up your candidate's poll numbers by 5% or something

Bernie's special power is Trump Tweet Resistance and that makes him S-Tier

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Typo posted:

This is why I live in Tropico, where twitter is banned.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon makes six figures calculating how many poor people to kill to maximize drug profits, and he's such a dumb motherfucker he can't go two paragraphs without cutting the legs out from under his own argument, if there's a better argument against the American economy being a meritocracy I have yet to see one.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/1113835492959772674

Except Bernie is Link Larkin.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m now extremely confident Bernie will win this primary.
Unless there’s some surprise where everyone sides with Beto, Pete or some hidden mystery candidate like Oprah or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tyler_bellstrom/status/1113873151090470913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'm actively rooting against Buttigieg. What a shithead, I'm excited to see him fail.