Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I just started listening to the first episode and it's really good. Thanks for breaking down why this show is so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nichael posted:

I just started listening to the first episode and it's really good. Thanks for breaking down why this show is so terrible.

:hellyeah:

*Joe Dirt voice* We watch the show so you don't haaaaaaave tooooooooo!!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:aaa: OH MY GOOOOOOOODDDDDDD :aaa:

I have only seen two clips of this stupid show now and I'm officially tapping out on us ever covering it, this is too much Sorkin smugness, my shields can't take it.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
It was so strange to watch The Newsroom take these moments and play them up like they mattered. I think at one point someone says that if they could report on Osama's death five minutes faster than the other networks their whole career will have been worthwhile. It's like Sorkin read the critiques of the West Wing, and said 'You think that was masturbatory, you haven't seen anything!'

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Didn't that show "bothsides" sexual assault or something?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Jimbot posted:

Hero male reporter mansplains to rape victim why she can't platform on her website people coming forward with their own allegations. Also, something something about how the court of public opinion is also dangerous... to the accused.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

absolutely

https://youtu.be/UGFYuwzdRyM

it really gets going around 3:30 onwards

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

absolutely

https://youtu.be/UGFYuwzdRyM

it really gets going around 3:30 onwards
Don't read the comments.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

loving lollllll

gentlemen:

we got him

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
It's quite irrational, but the part I hated the most was where Neil called everyone in for an emergency Sat meeting to show them his cryptozoology powerpoint. If a coworker of mine had done that I would have murdered them and I don't think any jury in the land would convict. Later in the show's short run, this same fuckwit is lecturing people about the sacred duty of 4th estate to uphold decorum.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

are we sure this isn't a troll

like a hundred million dollar troll

I had too much beer to competently chop up our episode tonight but tomorrowwwww

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so what level Patreon would we need to fund to get "More Like The Worstroom" bonus content

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gunshow Poophole posted:

are we sure this isn't a troll

like a hundred million dollar troll

I had too much beer to competently chop up our episode tonight but tomorrowwwww

I seriously can't believe this was ever written seriously

that fuckin pilot handshake

Like seriously, as much as I love dunking on the West Wing's garbage politics, it's at least a very watchable show with lots of solid performances and you can at least look back on some of its less unforgivable ideas with "this was written in the late 90s/early 2000s." But then you get to Studio 60 and Newsroom and holee loving poo poo do things fly right off the rails and into loving dumbshit bonkers town where Sorkin is literally huffing a bag of his own farts. I love the podcast y'all are doing but if I were pressed I'd rather subject you to the torture of reviewing those shows just for the sheer comedy that would result

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I seriously can't believe this was ever written seriously

that fuckin pilot handshake

Like seriously, as much as I love dunking on the West Wing's garbage politics, it's at least a very watchable show with lots of solid performances and you can at least look back on some of its less unforgivable ideas with "this was written in the late 90s/early 2000s." But then you get to Studio 60 and Newsroom and holee loving poo poo do things fly right off the rails and into loving dumbshit bonkers town where Sorkin is literally huffing a bag of his own farts. I love the podcast y'all are doing but if I were pressed I'd rather subject you to the torture of reviewing those shows just for the sheer comedy that would result

somebody else said it - huffing your own farts works when the huffees are the loving president of USA and his staff, but not very well when it's faux snl writers and cast or faux cnn newscasters

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
instead of working today I did this

a fresh one for your brainconduits

THESE KNIVES

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wtf Bartlett!?

:psyduck:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If you think about it, the entire Shibboleth narrative is nothing but a giant and deadly :siren:CREDENTIALS CHECK:ducksiren:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't get the vibe from watching the scene myself, but the way you described Bartlet scrutinizing the Chinese Christian's story reminds me of US immigration officials on Angel Island back during the Exclusion Act days going to insane lengths to stop paper sons from entering the country.

I'll just quote the relevant wikipedia paragraph:

quote:

To truly enforce the Chinese Exclusion Act, an Immigration Station located in Angel Island in 1910, questioned and interrogated immigrants coming from 84 different countries with the majority of immigrants being Asian and Chinese, being the largest ethnic group at the time of establishment. Since official records were often non-existent, an interrogation process was created to determine if the immigrants were related as they had claimed. On average an interrogation process could take up to 2 – 3 weeks, but some immigrants were interrogated for months. Questions could include details of the immigrant's home and village as well as specific knowledge of his or her ancestors.[7] These questions had been anticipated and thus, irrespective of the true nature of the relationship to their sponsor, the applicant had prepared months in advance by committing these details to memory. Their witnesses — usually other family members living in the United States — would be called forward to corroborate these answers. Any deviation from the testimony would prolong questioning or throw the entire case into doubt and put the applicant at risk of deportation, and possibly everyone else in the family connected to the applicant as well.
So lol, the scene could be read as Bartlet continuing the legacy of America's suspicion of Chinese going all the way back to the Arthur administration.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

quote:

In case you're not aware, the Uighurs are Turkic Muslim population living in the remoter parts of China that the Chinese government has basically gone Full Fash on and is detaining in camps with the eventual aim of eliminating them entirely.

wtf is this poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

R. Guyovich posted:

wtf is this poo poo

:flipoff: lmao here I'll edit it for you :flipoff:

and full credit, in my editorializing I skipped the fact that the western world is beating this drum hard in the interest of its own hegemony and even nominally lefty publications in the foreign policy sphere here picked up on and broadcast the party line.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Apr 8, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

If you think about it, the entire Shibboleth narrative is nothing but a giant and deadly :siren:CREDENTIALS CHECK:ducksiren:

lmao, the airhorns play as the ship takes them back to China

Is there an achewood comic for every possible variation of "These X"

We're gonna need one for "Oooh, these Native Americans in the lobby!" tia

Echo Chamber posted:

So lol, the scene could be read as Bartlet continuing the legacy of America's suspicion of Chinese going all the way back to the Arthur administration.

lol :d2a:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i'm spurtin' here!

Full disclaimer this is not one of Sorkin's, or our, best. On his part: maybe his hook-up ran dry for the week. On ours because it's just too many insignificant things crammed into a stew of disconnected vignettes so it was a bit more difficult to isolate and dig in on individual issues.

you can pry my stravinsky from my cold dead hands you dumb president baby wah wah I'm a classics man who can't handle even a whiff of atonality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7n36U_2kJY

please cadence abloo bloo :qq:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Vangelis did a big concert for a NASA mission in 2001. It owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSenxpUxvpU

Not quite related but we all love space and music here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:siren: a dedicated listener has made me aware of this :siren:

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1115603953222184961

lmfao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh man are the lanyard superfans CRAZY SALTY about that study, lmao all the comments are "why would you waste your time on this, why target this show, it didn't do anything to you!" :qq:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

finally caught up and just want to say you're doing gods work bois :patriot:

also I'm never watching this dumb show

Harbor Master
Apr 9, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Oh man are the lanyard superfans CRAZY SALTY about that study, lmao all the comments are "why would you waste your time on this, why target this show, it didn't do anything to you!" :qq:

This is a great podcast, like really you should make some future ones into videos. Bitchin

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Harbor Master posted:

This is a great podcast, like really you should make some future ones into videos. Bitchin

Hey thanks! :)

And I can't speak for Gunshow Poophole, but I have a body built for radio podcasting, so sadly I don't think TWW will be pivoting to video anytime soon. Also :effort:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Hey thanks! :)

And I can't speak for Gunshow Poophole, but I have a body built for radio podcasting, so sadly I don't think TWW will be pivoting to video anytime soon. Also :effort:

By contrast, I'm still quite handsome at 35 :wink:

I built my PC before onboard cameras were really a thing so it'd be a phone thing and just ugh nope

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
why do you talk that way?

I HAD A STROOOOOKE

This week's ep is hella produced, I had some fun all looped out on diphenhydramine

Read Another Book / Listen To Another Song!!

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Apr 19, 2019

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
BTW you should have started the proportional response recording with this. It would have given a nice example of who was in the right in the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7qJWbOgUKI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1119826402726031360

it was the West Wing pilot's fault, natch

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I drew on MS paint while listening to the podcast, specifically whatever characters you have as your, uh, icon, thing, or whatever

i dont actually know which characters these are! dont tell me.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

is it violating your request to tell you neither is a character on the show?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

abfab is pretty good too though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I drew on MS paint while listening to the podcast, specifically whatever characters you have as your, uh, icon, thing, or whatever

i dont actually know which characters these are! dont tell me.

excellent spitting image tribute

it's Jane Fonda and the Sorkman himself in the title card. Neither features in the show itself!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's Jane Fonda and the Sorkman himself in the title card. Neither features in the show itself!

We have our first fanart! :toot: Throw it in the OP!

Also, that was Jane Fonda this whole time? For some reason I thought it was Joan Rivers lol

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WampaLord posted:

We have our first fanart! :toot: Throw it in the OP!

Also, that was Jane Fonda this whole time? For some reason I thought it was Joan Rivers lol

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

is it violating your request to tell you neither is a character on the show?

i think only if youre not lying, i dont know internet cop law

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the smugness was palpable in The Sorkman. completely missed the glasses, tho.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Apr 22, 2019