Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Thinkin about it, I wonder if AMD would limit the 16 core/2 CPU die parts to X570 for the same reasons Intel had with Coffee Lake? AM4+?

I don't see why it won't be down to AIB picking and choosing which X370, B350, X470 and B450 boards will get full Ryzen 3000 support. AM4+ would just be a cert for power delivery at that point.

I do wonder if we'll get a weird generation where there is Zen3 on AM4 with DDR4, and Zen3 on AM5 with DDR5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I do wonder if we'll get a weird generation where there is Zen3 on AM4 with DDR4, and Zen3 on AM5 with DDR5.

Memory controller integration into the CPU means that's never happening again.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

Thinkin about it, I wonder if AMD would limit the 16 core/2 CPU die parts to X570 for the same reasons Intel had with Coffee Lake? AM4+?

Plausible, except wasn't the whole CFL not being able to be used on older motherboards complete bunk?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Plausible, except wasn't the whole CFL not being able to be used on older motherboards complete bunk?

I believe they changed the power delivery system to account for the extra cores. People were saying the socket design clearly showed more voltage pins

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 3, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
AMD has improved their not-Optane UltraStar support on EPYC. Still enterprise only (=>1TB), but maybe we'll get something for consumers one day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nude tane??

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So the 2600x default cooler is loud as hell. Even at moderate RPM it makes an incessant whine that is just annoying as hell. I've got a Noctua D15S on the way but in the meantime, why is this thing idling at 3.8ghz? I've set the power profile from Ryzen Balanced in Windows 10 to Balanced. The only setting I've changed in the BIOS was just setting the XMP profile for my memory. Everything else is at default (MSI B450 Gaming Carbon). It's idling at 32c and the fan curve profile seems OK in the BIOS. Is there some other application I should be using to control this in Windows by the way?

The weird thing is that everything was fine until I toggled my XMP profile on in the BIOS.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

So the 2600x default cooler is loud as hell. Even at moderate RPM it makes an incessant whine that is just annoying as hell. I've got a Noctua D15S on the way but in the meantime, why is this thing idling at 3.8ghz? I've set the power profile from Ryzen Balanced in Windows 10 to Balanced. The only setting I've changed in the BIOS was just setting the XMP profile for my memory. Everything else is at default (MSI B450 Gaming Carbon). It's idling at 32c and the fan curve profile seems OK in the BIOS. Is there some other application I should be using to control this in Windows by the way?

The weird thing is that everything was fine until I toggled my XMP profile on in the BIOS.
The minimum processor state in the battery profile is probably 90% (Ryzen Balanced default).

I'm currently on Auto instead of DOCP in BIOS, because my temps/clock have been acting very weird.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

The minimum processor state in the battery profile is probably 90% (Ryzen Balanced default).

I'm currently on Auto instead of DOCP in BIOS, because my temps/clock have been acting very weird.

Yeah I had read about that in the past but I switched to regular Windows balanced already. Not sure what the heck is going on. I fiddled with the fan curve to quiet it down more until a real cooler arrives. I get that this thing is fine compared to the old stock Intel coolers but man it is annoying nonetheless.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I had read about that in the past but I switched to regular Windows balanced already. Not sure what the heck is going on. I fiddled with the fan curve to quiet it down more until a real cooler arrives. I get that this thing is fine compared to the old stock Intel coolers but man it is annoying nonetheless.
But did you manually change the pstate in the settings?

Power options > Advanced settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state > <90%

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

But did you manually change the pstate in the settings?

Power options > Advanced settings > Processor power management > Minimum processor state > <90%

Hmm I'll check it when I get off work, thanks man!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Klyith posted:

Memory controller integration into the CPU means that's never happening again.

Except Zen 3 will presumably be using a separate I/O die like Zen 2 so AMD could use the same core dies with different I/O dies for AM4 and AM5.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palladium posted:

The standard answer is usually the NH-D15S (remember to get the version with the included AM4 mount kit).

Well this is about the gaudiest ugliest heatsink I've ever seen, so I bought it and now my CPU is running a good 15-20C cooler under load. What a thing of beauty. Just don't cut your hands on the metal slats trying to install the drat thing!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

exquisite tea posted:

Just don't cut your hands on the metal slats trying to install the drat thing!

Nah, computer building requires a blood sacrifice. Every time you hear a non functioning first build? Yeah, the builder didn't spill any blood inside the case so of course it's not working, the hardware demons were not appeased.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll never understand people who don't want to experience that rush of mortal fear when you try to turn on your new system for the first time and find out if you just paid for a $1,500 brick.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

exquisite tea posted:

I'll never understand people who don't want to experience that rush of mortal fear when you try to turn on your new system for the first time and find out if you just paid for a $1,500 brick.

Tiny itx boxes that take hours to build, everything Tetris'd inside in a specific order. Aargh.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Any BSOD during the first week is an adrenaline rush.

:argh: Looking at you, you loving 2080ti piece of poo poo.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

exquisite tea posted:

Well this is about the gaudiest ugliest heatsink I've ever seen, so I bought it and now my CPU is running a good 15-20C cooler under load. What a thing of beauty. Just don't cut your hands on the metal slats trying to install the drat thing!

Yep, if it fits in your case, the nh-d15s is the best you can do before high end watercooling; it really is that good, and better (and more reliable, of course) than entry-level and many midrange water coolers. You can even strap two more fans to it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 4, 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

Yep, if it fits in your case, the nh-d15s is the best you can do before high end watercooling; it really is that good, and better (and more reliable, of course) than entry-level and many midrange water coolers. You can even strap two more fans to it.

I just bought a DH-15S because the current noctua cooler I have doesn't fit my motherboard properly, the current cooler is jammed up against the backplate of my gpu so I need the offset of the DH15S. Also the box is so big I can't fit it in my work rucksack.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

exquisite tea posted:

I've thought about shelling out $30 for a set of white Chromax heatsink covers to match my all-white H500.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just an update on my issues with the Wraith and my 2600x. I got the Noctua NH-D15s last night and installed it. Shredded a knuckle trying to get the fan cable installed after the fact, rookie mistake always plug that poo poo in before you finish screwing it down. System idling 4 degrees lower and totally silent, even at load I can barely hear it. I'm a big believer that nice things come in nice packages and they did a great job, it also came with a lot of accessories and solid instructions.

So glad to be rid of the incessant whine from the Wraith cooler.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Gunslinger posted:

Just an update on my issues with the Wraith and my 2600x. I got the Noctua NH-D15s last night and installed it. Shredded a knuckle trying to get the fan cable installed after the fact, rookie mistake always plug that poo poo in before you finish screwing it down. System idling 4 degrees lower and totally silent, even at load I can barely hear it. I'm a big believer that nice things come in nice packages and they did a great job, it also came with a lot of accessories and solid instructions.

So glad to be rid of the incessant whine from the Wraith cooler.

I didn't even mount the stock cooler from my 2600x, went straight for a Scythe Mugen 5 with much the same results: cool temps, quiet operation, and nice aesthetics imo.

At idle the PC is barely audible, and while gaming case fans and GPU fans are much more noticeable than the HSF. The fact that the stock fan on Ryzens is decent compared to Intel CPUs doesn't mean that you should absolutely 100% keep it, unless you're really penny pinching and under a strict budget I would almost always get a 30-50$ well reviewed cooler, and keep the stock one as a spare part or resell it.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 4, 2019

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Has there been any good leaks of Ryzen stuff yet? Last I heard they were targeting June/July. I would have expected more advertising/leaks of performance by now, but I don't know of any sites that report that stuff and the places I do go to have been quiet aside from Su doing the computex keynote.

Oh god I wanna build a new computer already, I'm getting really tired of my i5 3470. And all the fans that came with my cheap case are loudly dying 1 by 1. I've been counting the days since last year for the Zen 2 release.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Only thing to go on is the tea-leaf reading of forward-compatible BIOS updates for AM4 motherboards.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That's because Computex is the expected release of all the information you want. The July date is simply because it's the 7th month and Zen2 is 7nm it's marketing bullshit. All the clock speed rumors are really old and either completely fabricated or were goals for the processors and likely over optimistic because they are crazy especially with the rumored pricing.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Well, I was hoping I didn't have to wait a month for some info, but I guess that just isn't in the cards. Thanks anyways.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Broose posted:

Well, I was hoping I didn't have to wait a month for some info, but I guess that just isn't in the cards. Thanks anyways.

I'm feeling you. My computer feels slow as gently caress and is chugging hard since I switched to a Dual 4k setup (from 1440p). But I don't want to buy anything current when the next generation is out so soon.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You got over 16 and a half million pixels going there, what did you think was going to happen?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2560 x 1440 x 2 = 7372800 pixels
3840 x 2160 x 2 = 16588800 pixels.

You are literally pushing over twice as many pixels as before, and you're expecting the same performance?

And that's not even counting a frame rate.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
um...he didn't say that he was expecting the same performance?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also, that should just push you further out of the CPU-dependence realm?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

Also, that should just push you further out of the CPU-dependence realm?

I have these 4k monitors connected to a Lenovo office PC with an Intel i7-7700T (HD Graphics 630). It really doesn't work well, pushing so many pixels. Browsing feels slow, even. And having multiple YT videos open means dropped frames. It's night and day, compared to my Haswell i7-4770k & Nvidia 980 Ti.

My plan is to replace the machine with a Ryzen 3/dGPU computer in a Mini-ITX form factor (thinking of something like the Fractal Design Node 202 or Silverstone Fortress Series FTZ01-E).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 5, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TorakFade posted:

I didn't even mount the stock cooler from my 2600x, went straight for a Scythe Mugen 5 with much the same results: cool temps, quiet operation, and nice aesthetics imo.

At idle the PC is barely audible, and while gaming case fans and GPU fans are much more noticeable than the HSF. The fact that the stock fan on Ryzens is decent compared to Intel CPUs doesn't mean that you should absolutely 100% keep it, unless you're really penny pinching and under a strict budget I would almost always get a 30-50$ well reviewed cooler, and keep the stock one as a spare part or resell it.
Mugen 5 (any revision) is the way to go if you care at all about price. You can get it for half the price of the noctua, $45, and it performs within 1c-2c of the NH-D15 and at similar noise levels. It also has great ram clearance.

I've no idea why it isn't recommended more often. Every benchmark and anecdote I've seen has nothing bad to say about it. It can literally cool an overclocked 9900k. If you wanted to be a big nerd you could even get the latest 120mm noctua fans and put them on it and then there's no gap between it and the noctua coolers, but that's real expensive and you're nearing $90 territory there.

My speculation is it's for similar reasons to AIOs being so popular. People don't like how it looks, and it doesn't look like quite as much of a massive brick as the macho or noctua coolers. Combined with Scythe doing next to no marketing, there's no real momentum behind it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 5, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Scythe seems like they've got their hands full trying to handle a burgeoning boutique PC market in their home nation of Japan. They don't seem to be as big as they used to be since they aren't allowed to ship real Gentle Typhoons.

I've had a dual-tower FUMA from them for a couple of years, and it's been the most worry-free cooling experience I've had in a long time (try it with two A12x25s!) Hang in there, little hipster heatsink maker buddy :ohdear:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm a fan of the big bequiet heatsinks too. They look a lot better than the Mugen with a similar design. I just pulled a darkrock 3 off of an 8700 to use an AIO and i kinda regret it weirdly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
They're awesome, I'm loving my Dark Rock Pro 4, extremely quiet under load

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dark Rock Pro looks nice but almost always blocks RAM in every instance, and if you paid money carnival lighting on your memory sticks you won't see it.

The RGB-ification of everything is kind of a challenge for tower coolers. Smaller ones are handling it well, but increasingly people would rather pay $20 a year for a cooler that lasts five years and improves their lightshow than $80 one-time for a cooler that lasts virtually forever and doesn't rave. Combine that with smaller form factors and it's a tough market.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Craptacular! posted:

Dark Rock Pro looks nice but almost always blocks RAM in every instance, and if you paid money carnival lighting on your memory sticks you won't see it.

The RGB-ification of everything is kind of a challenge for tower coolers. Smaller ones are handling it well, but increasingly people would rather pay $20 a year for a cooler that lasts five years and improves their lightshow than $80 one-time for a cooler that lasts virtually forever and doesn't rave. Combine that with smaller form factors and it's a tough market.

I have this RAM and it works just fine :confused:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

You can unclip the fan and raise it a cm to clear pretty much every ram kit. I had the Trident Z RGB in there and it worked fine. It's also only an issue if you fill all 4 banks on most boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

You can unclip the fan and raise it a cm to clear pretty much every ram kit. I had the Trident Z RGB in there and it worked fine. It's also only an issue if you fill all 4 banks on most boards.

I used my words poorly. I didn't mean to say that it has space conflicts with memory, as many boards work around that and most RAM manufacturers have reasonable height limits, but some people want to stroke epeen watching lights change colors and a big metal object gets in the way I spent $30 extra unnecessarily on.