Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

frankenfreak posted:

*looks at two-volume stats textbook on bookshelf* What kind of giant bricks do they make where you're from?

Applied multivariate statistical analysis is about what I'd want to aim at a Tory. It isn't particularly statistically useful if I never miss though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

people call it fairy-up liquid too just in case it wasn’t bad enough

i have british grandparents so i know most of the Funny British Words, but that's definitely a new one to me

it makes me unreasonably angry

NoneMoreNegative posted:

we can be unimaginatively descriptive in our naming of things, it is true; from yesterday:

"draught excluder" is charming in an old timey snake oil kind of way

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

twoday posted:

Brexit is a hell of a drug

Look at how much wool this guy is sitting on! Enough to make a thousand coats!

*sitting surrounded by priceless jewels on a luxurious woolen throne* life is so hard sometimes

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

twoday posted:

Brexit is a hell of a drug

Look at how much wool this guy is sitting on! Enough to make a thousand coats!

He is not giving you even an ounce of this wool. Its all his and his alone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sekenr posted:

He is not giving you even an ounce of this wool. Its all his and his alone.

his rear end is sore from bearing the heavy weight of his duty, and also his lovely filing system off to the side there

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Bilimoria is cool. Shame we only have one. I want to go clubbing with Adonis and Bilimoria.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hexyflexy posted:

Lord Bilimoria is cool. Shame we only have one. I want to go clubbing with Adonis and Bilimoria.
Just don't ruin his momentum!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
His head is so robust and textured

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
was there a disabled lord speaking earlier or is that some inbreeding thing. The guy with the weird voice and some how triangular head.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm so relieved to take a little vacation from the Trump thread to the Brexit thread where at least the villainy comes with some winsome silliness and funny costumes, instead of my country where everyone is a transparently Machiavellian Captain Planet villain who is also a full blown C-Spam mod.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
in the post-brexit uk there is no such thing as detergent

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm starting to think that Doctor Who has the worst case of brain worms in the universe, given their predisposition to protect Britain at all costs

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Victory Position posted:

I'm starting to think that Doctor Who has the worst case of brain worms in the universe, given their predisposition to protect Britain at all costs

He's protecting the rest of the universe against us. Douglas Adams was right, England is the destroyer of all life.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bryter posted:

imagine how much piss it's soaked up from all those generations of geriatrics
Same but farts.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Hahaha, the thingy showing the name of the current speaker stopped for a bit and I missed that the Duke of Wellington was speaking.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yinlock posted:

his rear end is sore from bearing the heavy weight of his duty, and also his lovely filing system off to the side there

These are the deeds to the wool in the box which he is ready to produce at all times. He doesnt care about brexit but he shall guard his hoard of wool come hell or high water.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lord haw-haw

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Sekenr posted:

These are the deeds to the wool in the box which he is ready to produce at all times. He doesnt care about brexit but he shall guard his hoard of wool come hell or high water.

Both of those things are coming in short order

twoday
May 4, 2005

In 1938, it was discovered that the Woolsack was, in fact, stuffed with horsehair. When the Woolsack was remade it was re-stuffed with wool from all over the Commonwealth as a symbol of unity.

The Lord Speaker may speak from the Woolsack when speaking in his or her capacity as Speaker of the House, but must, if he or she seeks to debate, deliver his or her remarks either from the left side of the Woolsack, or from the normal seats of the Lords.

In front of the Woolsack is an even larger cushion known as the Judges' Woolsack. During the State Opening of Parliament, the Judges' Woolsack was historically occupied by the Law Lords.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
they never bothered to check what was in it? lmao

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the entire history, heritage and culture of your country is so embarrassing

twoday
May 4, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

they never bothered to check what was in it? lmao

Someone probably stole the wool in the middle ages

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Kicked me right in me judges’ woolsack he did

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the entire history, heritage and culture of your country is so embarrassing

Yeah but gently caress me if i can go a month with eating Chicken Tika

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1986/jan/16/the-woolsack

quote:

My own understanding of the matter is rather a curious one. When my father occupied the Woolsack, our wise Victorian ancestors had it stuffed with horsehair. This was then thought to be inappropriate and the present arrangement, that it should be filled with wool, was in fact arrived at by general consent. I think those who made the latter arrangement did not quite understand that wool when sat on rapidly becomes felt. The article in question has at the moment two large grooves in it which slope outwards. 

quote:

The Earl of Cork and Orrery  My Lords, which Secretary of State holds the ultimate responsibility for wool gathering?

The Lord Chancellor  Environment, of course, my Lords

very cool country

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i feel like in understanding the mindset that lead to brexit its important to remember this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK8jzTVxOP8

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Also tangentially related to the woolsack:

quote:

Lords are getting their final chance on Tuesday night to vote on the government's plans to remove sitting and voting rights for peers who gained their place in the second chamber by inheritance.

But as the debate got underway the Earl of Burford stormed the floor - forcing the Lords' deputy speaker, Lord Buston of Faversham, to jump out of his way.

As the son of a hereditary peer, the earl has the right to listen to proceedings in the chamber from the Steps of the Throne, but is not permitted to take part.

But the heir of the Duke of St Albans broke the rules to demonstrate about what he called "the abolition of Britain".

He rushed forward and jumped on to the Woolsack in the centre of the chamber and began shouting and waving an order paper.

His protest did not last long - the Serjeant at Arms, General Sir Edward Jones, also known as Black Rod, ejected him from the House after he had been pulled down from the podium by ushers.

As he was forced outside, he shouted at peers in the chamber: "Before us lies the wasteland, no Queen, no culture, no sovereignty, no freedom.

"Stand up for your Queen and country - vote this treason down."

Prophetic

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

we can be unimaginatively descriptive in our naming of things, it is true; from yesterday:

that's a door snake mate

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Squizzle posted:

viscount "neeky" chandos

ehehehe

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness jolly

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord judd