Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

bike tory posted:

Wait I thought planes wheels were motorised. Can't they taxi even if the jet engines are not working?

I realise that they use the jet engines to take off ofc

i'm dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

this is actually happening lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What if you put a plane under another plane but upside down so the wheels touch eachother and

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only people with a mutilated dick tip would be unclear on the airplane question.

don't @ me i have a normie penis.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

only people with a mutilated dick tip would be unclear on the airplane question.

don't @ me i have a normie penis.
it's because without a foreskin, there's no way for the penis to gain lift

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What if you hosed the plane

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I hate when the plane carrying my luggage arrives much later than my flight.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Where do all the foreskins go?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It doesn't matter how fast you run, if you're circumcized your dick will never fly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Where do all the foreskins go?
McNuggets

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

FactsAreUseless posted:

it's because without a foreskin, there's no way for the penis to gain lift

you need the foreskin so you can inflate it with helium otherwise it just all goes pffftt out your urethra

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If the plane is a prop plane and not a jet then what?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I just tied toast to the back of a cat butter side out then put it on the plane and dropped it. Let me tell you that plane took off at literal light speed.

I didn't tip it though and ate it well done with beans.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jfc, maybe don't make jokes about eating childrens' genitalia

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Some ppl get circumsized later in life though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Now do the helicopter on a record player one
the helicopter, being much, much larger and heavier than a record, prevents the record player from rotating, and probably crushes it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They did surgery on a plane, on a treadmill, 0.999... times

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Lmfao christ dude

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sagebrush posted:

the conveyor belt can't keep the plane stationary.

Friction exists.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Can you guys help me settle an argument with my friend? We can't decide what color this dress is.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luckyellow posted:

Can you guys help me settle an argument with my friend? We can't decide what color this dress is.

It's a beautiful chartreuse

How about if you just locked the plane in place and let the earth orbit away from it?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

i honestly didn't mean to cause this

Don't feel bad, you wanted to know what it was about. Now you've got front row seats!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
who the gently caress is scraeming "dont make jokes about eating baby dicks" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop joking about chowing down on baby dilz

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "dont make jokes about eating baby dicks" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop joking about chowing down on baby dilz

and why not also Baby wholes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sounds like someone needs to go spend some time with Randaconda

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Scholtz posted:

Do you have a blog

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nope, just partial ownership of a Silent Hill wiki :rolleyes:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

LifeSunDeath posted:

and why not also Baby wholes

Love the subtle hint of antisemitism with these!

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Love the subtle hint of antisemitism with these!

Are you referring to the cartoon stork doing a Groucho Marx impression? It's ok, you don't have to prove anything here my dude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Friction exists.

the wheel bearings are designed to have the smallest amount of friction possible, so you ignore them for the sake of the thought experiment. otherwise you just start debating things like "well we can't even make a conveyor belt strong enough to support a jet airliner anyway" and end up stuck down the stupid hole

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PYF Macros and Memes: Down the Stupid Hole

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

PYF Macros and Memes: Down the Stupid Kosher Dill Baby Whole

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sagebrush posted:

the wheel bearings are designed to have the smallest amount of friction possible, so you ignore them for the sake of the thought experiment. otherwise you just start debating things like "well we can't even make a conveyor belt strong enough to support a jet airliner anyway" and end up stuck down the stupid hole

Well the problem is so often stated (poorly, perhaps) in terms of a conveyor belt that CAN stop a plane, so you're fighting against the very premise of the question. Under that premise, the plane can't take off.

I agree that any reasonable, realistic plane and conveyor would be unable to fulfill that premise, and would take off. But it's completely reasonable and not stupid to say "well if the problem posits a non-moving plane, then I guess it ain't taking off", and what annoys me about this debate is that your side of the argument completely ignores this.

That's why I said earlier that both sides are correct about their answers, but they're answering different questions. And then they assume the other side is stupid and condescend to them and call them names.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you ignore friction then the wheels would slide infinitely over the surface of the conveyor belt anyway so the whole problem wouldn't work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well the problem is so often stated (poorly, perhaps) in terms of a conveyor belt that CAN stop a plane, so you're fighting against the very premise of the question. Under that premise, the plane can't take off.

I agree that any reasonable, realistic plane and conveyor would be unable to fulfill that premise, and would take off. But it's completely reasonable and not stupid to say "well if the problem posits a non-moving plane, then I guess it ain't taking off", and what annoys me about this debate is that your side of the argument completely ignores this.

That's why I said earlier that both sides are correct about their answers, but they're answering different questions. And then they assume the other side is stupid and condescend to them and call them names.

oh hell yea we're doin this

it's a flawed premise. there is no such thing as a conveyor belt that can stop a jet airplane in the manner described. end statement. it doesn't matter if the belt is going backwards at 1000 miles an hour; if the plane's engines are producing enough thrust to move it forwards at 100mph, it will do so, and the wheels will be spinning 1100mph backwards. in reality, if such a thing occurred, the tires would explode from the overspeed and the landing gear struts would dig into the belt and the plane would get flung backwards and not take off -- but that's obviously not what the question is asking.

saying "okay but what if there was a conveyor belt that stopped the plane from moving, then what?" reduces the question to absurdity, like asking "would a plane take off if a wizard projected an impenetrable force field in front of it?"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you were at an airport to catch a conveyor belt plane, and walking along you see one of those moving sidewalks. It's going the wrong way (towards you), but just for fun you walk alongside it on stable ground and pull your wheelie luggage along the moving sidewalk in the wrong direction. If it's going 10 mph the wrong way do you have to run 10 mph forward to pull the bag? Or are the wheels just freespinning bits of rubber so it will move at the same speed as before (albeit the wheels are spinning much faster)?

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

BillyC posted:

and other british crap

I didn't read any of the dumb crap posted since this so sorry if I ruin your detail but I could not let this blasphemy slide.

NSFWNSFW

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Freak posted:

If you were at an airport to catch a conveyor belt plane, and walking along you see one of those moving sidewalks. It's going the wrong way (towards you), but just for fun you walk alongside it on stable ground and pull your wheelie luggage along the moving sidewalk in the wrong direction. If it's going 10 mph the wrong way do you have to run 10 mph forward to pull the bag? Or are the wheels just freespinning bits of rubber so it will move at the same speed as before (albeit the wheels are spinning much faster)?

No no no no no

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wrong date

also extensive support from the french