Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I already miss the original Slime Burger. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

C-Euro posted:

Justin with the Bassline Junkie mention, what can't this guy do

God, I love Justin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dmboogie posted:

I already miss the original Slime Burger. :smith:

He did look just like Trash Hulk though

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

MBMBAM San Jose was awesome. Only one of the audience questions was slightly awkward and the energy of the crowd was incredible. So glad I finally got to catch the live show - I laughed way harder than I do when I’m listening alone.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Crocoswine posted:

Not really, considering they barely played D&D in the first place.

That's why it was better. Some of the best moments were Justin blindsiding Griffin by suddenly remembering that there was a rulebook and charisma checking his way to the flaming raging poisoning sword of doom

You'd never have Garyl the Binicorn in a freeform system, it's too crazy to allow. But if it's in the book, it's in the game, baby!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 4, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

That's why it was better. Some of the best moments were Justin blindsiding Griffin by suddenly remembering that there was a rulebook and charisma checking his way to the flaming raging poisoning sword of doom

You'd never have Garyl the Binicorn in a freeform system, it's too crazy to allow. But if it's in the book, it's in the game, baby!

so much of what has happened in amnesty contradicts this tho

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
One of the best parts of Amnesty is how extremely the limited rolling affects the story. Hell, Duck's whole change happened because he had a bad roll, basically. I think it's been a really good use of a very permitting system.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Amnesty (and perhaps PBTA) has felt very much like improv/group storytelling using die rolls to determine the direction of things at various times. It's been good and bad at different times in this series but I think overall it works for the story they are trying to tell.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Amnesty (and perhaps PBTA) has felt very much like improv/group storytelling using die rolls to determine the direction of things at various times. It's been good and bad at different times in this series but I think overall it works for the story they are trying to tell.

congratulations, you've described Every Single RPG Ever Made to varying degrees

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Serf posted:

so much of what has happened in amnesty contradicts this tho

Justin blindsiding Griffin with his new Tell The Truth power, for example.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alaois posted:

congratulations, you've described Every Single RPG Ever Made to varying degrees

What I mean is that D&D feels more suited to a story that plays out like a video game since it has more hard numbers and the DM (ideally) designs encounters ahead of time. With PBTA, it feels more free-form which I wouldn't have like for the story that Balance told but I do like for the story that Amnesty is telling.

E: Like yeah, of course you're rolling a bunch of dice in all of these. In D&D those rolls lead to more specific outcomes, while in PBTA the outcomes are more free-form.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m just super tired of the trio CONSTANTLY being split up in Amnesty. The magic in Balance is from them all playing together but nearly every episode in Amnesty has has substantial solo stories and they are so much less interesting.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

okay I know this is petty but I'm catching up on Amnesty and also it annoyed the poo poo out of me when Aubrey spent a point of luck to have that hornet not tell anyone what happened, and Griffin just ignored it in the next arc because he wanted the hornets interference dynamic anyways. Travis spent a non-renewable resource to influence the narrative and Griffin shat all over it. There were plenty of ways that he could've still had the hornets interfering without having that one guy go back on his promise. Hell, it would've even been an interesting scene to have Aubrey confront him about it, and have the guy say "no I didn't say anything, but if things get any worse, I might have to" instead of just doing the whole loving thing offscreen. At least give Travis that luck point back since you completely loving negated the effects.

God.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 4, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

okay I know this is petty but I'm catching up on Amnesty and also it annoyed the poo poo out of me when Aubrey character spent a point of luck to have that hornet not tell anyone what happened, and Griffin just ignored it in the next arc because he wanted the hornets interference dynamic anyways. Travis spent a non-renewable resource to influence the narrative and Griffin shat all over it. There were plenty of ways that he could've still had the hornets interfering without having that one guy go back on his promise. Hell, it would've even been an interesting scene to have Aubrey confront him about it, and have the guy say "no i didn't say anything, but if things get any worse, I might have to" instead of just doing the whole loving thing offscreen. At least give Travis that luck point back since you completely loving negated the effects.

God.

Yeah this part was bad

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

okay I know this is petty but I'm catching up on Amnesty and also it annoyed the poo poo out of me when Aubrey character spent a point of luck to have that hornet not tell anyone what happened, and Griffin just ignored it in the next arc because he wanted the hornets interference dynamic anyways. Travis spent a non-renewable resource to influence the narrative and Griffin shat all over it. There were plenty of ways that he could've still had the hornets interfering without having that one guy go back on his promise. Hell, it would've even been an interesting scene to have Aubrey confront him about it, and have the guy say "no i didn't say anything, but if things get any worse, I might have to" instead of just doing the whole loving thing offscreen. At least give Travis that luck point back since you completely loving negated the effects.

God.

This is true and I agree its lazy, but god I want Travis to run out of luck points soon

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Reminds me of like, episode two or whatever when Travis rolled really good and should have got to basically pick whatever he wanted, but Griffin said oh, err maybe you rolled so good it's actually bad. And the building burned down anyway because that's what he had planned. Lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tears In A Vial posted:

Reminds me of like, episode two or whatever when Travis rolled really good and should have got to basically pick whatever he wanted, but Griffin said oh, err maybe you rolled so good it's actually bad. And the building burned down anyway because that's what he had planned. Lol.

Yeah after that episode I didn't really listen to anything else if this arc, I didn't really like any of the characters especially Aubrey. Did it get any better? Now that there's a bunch of episodes I figure it might be more digestible as a binge

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah after that episode I didn't really listen to anything else if this arc, I didn't really like any of the characters especially Aubrey. Did it get any better? Now that there's a bunch of episodes I figure it might be more digestible as a binge

That's exactly what I do. I don't think I could handle amnesty with 2 weeks between episodes. I go through an arc at a time and it helps a ton.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just a heads up, all the TV show eps are on YouTube and I don't think anyone is clammoring to get them taken down.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Duck (Justin's character) and a few minor NPCs are pretty fun, but that's about it for me. I listened for a while but I think I'm good with waiting to see how the whole thing turns out.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Amnesty feels like it would have made a pretty good book. As a podcast, ehhhhhhhh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I like amnesty but boys do it grind to a halt whenever the party splits

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
The new system lends itself better to telling a coherent story with player influence. I just don't like the tone very much- trying to tell a compelling fantasy story isn't why I came to the Adventure Zone. I want comedy. All of the participants are much more talented comedically than dramatically.

"Three Sherlock Homes and A Vampire" and "Honey Heist"? Best pieces of Adventure Zone content in years. The live shows are also often good. Not because they're in DnD, but because instead of trying to be a serious storyteller boy Griffin just makes a gonzo off the wall set piece for the guys to improvise in. (And if he did the same thing in a non-live format where they didn't have to rush and could let a bit breathe, they'd be even better).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, I think they wanted to recapture the final tone of Balance straight off the bat, but without all the lighthearted improv work that was the early years that allowed people to get on board with the characters and story.

It just leaves the whole thing feeling a bit pompous and on autopilot, with minimal ability for the comedians to make comedy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the extremely pompous story where duck making GBS threads his pants multiple times is an established part of canon

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1114173987242762242

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don’t like that look one bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1114175563843788801

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1114176465749204996

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

McElroys and Aquabats are a collab i didn’t know i needed

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The hype is real

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
No collab. The Aquabats just told them to put on the costumes and the McElroys were too polite to question it or say no.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 5, 2019

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Undead Hippo posted:

The new system lends itself better to telling a coherent story with player influence. I just don't like the tone very much- trying to tell a compelling fantasy story isn't why I came to the Adventure Zone. I want comedy. All of the participants are much more talented comedically than dramatically.

I dipped out of TAZ several months ago for this reason. Also only barely finished Balance because of it. Make with the funny.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
good news! they in fact continue to be funny

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Eh

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

flatluigi posted:

good news! they in fact continue to be funny

Just twice per episode instead of twice per minute.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acute Grill posted:

No collab. The Aquabats just told them to put on the costumes and the McElroys were too polite to question it or say no.

And now they have to wear those same outfits everyday like cartoon characters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like Amnesty and I think it is funny and I think some people in this thread are giant doodoo brains, pardon my language

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Serious rose tinted glasses on Griffins narration zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Balance was better but it was also much longer. They're trying to do the same thing in a significantly shorter amount of time. Amnesty is pretty good within the confines of its limitations.

The one thing I really miss is the spooky gm intro.