Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Neo Rasa posted:

Minegraft.

Tubr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Tubegirl

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

ryonguy posted:

Thank god Trump's gonna protect those coal jobs!

The Yang Gang will save us with UBI instead.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Looks like Gamestop is in it's death throes

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/gamestop-posts-massive-loss-as-pre-owned-game-sales-plummet/

quote:

GameStop's massive loss is the largest ever reported by the company, and only the third annual loss since it grew out of the corporate remains of FuncoLand in 2000. GameStop last posted a loss in 2012, when it lost nearly $270 million thanks in part to weak holiday sales near the end of that era's console generation.

But more than the amount, the reason behind the new loss could be cause for long-term concern at the retailer's thousands of worldwide storefronts. While hardware sales were roughly flat and new software sales fell about 4 percent year over year, pre-owned software sales cratered nearly 12 percent for the year, continuing a years-long slide.

Apparently the only bright spot is it's Think Geek partnership.

quote:

As far as physical goods, the only real bright spot for GameStop last year was in collectibles. That area of the business grew over 11 percent for the year, making the company's 2015 purchase of nerdy collectible store ThinkGeek look somewhat prescient.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 4, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

pre-owned software sales cratered nearly 12 percent for the year, continuing a years-long slide.

Ah yes, pre-owned software: a strong and stable market on which we can can base our brick-and-mortar future in TYOOL 2019. I assumed that poo poo went extinct like a decade ago.

Also, something kinda funny about Funcoland's only remaining money coming from Funkopops.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
GameStop failed to poo poo or get off the pot with a bunch of stupid poo poo they invested heavily in from 2009-2012 (including remodeling almost every store after already doing that in like 2009) and they were never going to recover from that with the changing times. At least in NYC though they definitely are aware of the Think Geek success. Those locations are much more like buy various nerd poo poo here stores than they are about games like Legend of Zelda jigsaw puzzles or $200 Harley Quinn statues and the various Think Geek products.

Source - I worked at GameStop as a manager from 2004-2014. :suicide:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sundae posted:

Ah yes, pre-owned software: a strong and stable market on which we can can base our brick-and-mortar future in TYOOL 2019. I assumed that poo poo went extinct like a decade ago.

Also, something kinda funny about Funcoland's only remaining money coming from Funkopops.

Why on Earth would you have assumed kids stopped trading in their games a decade ago?? Tons of stuff still wasn't available on the console download stores back then, let alone all the use of the previous gen consoles that didn't really have online stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fishmech posted:

Why on Earth would you have assumed kids stopped trading in their games a decade ago?? Tons of stuff still wasn't available on the console download stores back then, let alone all the use of the previous gen consoles that didn't really have online stores.

They're probably increasingly cutting out the middleman and selling them directly online now. Or just to pawn shops like everyone else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're probably increasingly cutting out the middleman and selling them directly online now. Or just to pawn shops like everyone else.

That's a radically different statement from what was said. But also minors can't pawn poo poo legally while they can get gamestop credit or do a trade-in with a guardian present for a cash out.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 4, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

Because my brain is not a Fishmechian logic circuit, but instead functions like that of a normal human and uses/understands hyperbole and casual banter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fishmech posted:

That's a radically different statement from what was said. But also minors can't pawn poo poo legally while they can get gamestop credit or do a trade-in with a guardian present for a cash out.

Yeah, but they can take their parents to the pawn shop to sell their old stuff, like I did, and probably get better value for it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lol just lol if you thought physical media was a future worth investing in

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

At the same time, CeX looks like it's doing pretty well (and giving other game stores extra competition for another pre-owned headache). Maybe buying/selling games and hardware from previous generations helps with that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

At the same time, CeX looks like it's doing pretty well (and giving other game stores extra competition for another pre-owned headache). Maybe buying/selling games and hardware from previous generations helps with that.

Last time I was in a CeX in the UK they also sold DVDs and phones it was sort of like a pawn store.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The pre-owned game market was built on people like me who, as teenagers, needed money for new games. Now we have money for new games because we have jobs instead of allowances, and the next generation isn't buying as much physical media to begin with. Of course it was going to end badly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's probably more to do with the fact that it's trivial to get a way better deal for your old games via a billion other easy to use alternatives to GameStop rather than people grew up and aren't poor any more. Had they offered better values and deals for trade ins vs like, selling your games on Craigslist or offer up or let go they might not be in this position.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
While I will say its been pretty funny watching the FunkoPop display slowly eat up more and more of my local outlets available wallspace like some sort of weird cancerous growth, a part of me is still going to be sad to see Gamespot go. Just about all the console games I have ever bought came from them.

The writing has been on the wall for a loooong time though, I'm pretty sure Penny Arcade was cracking jokes about their impending doom back in like 2008.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DrNutt posted:

It's probably more to do with the fact that it's trivial to get a way better deal for your old games via a billion other easy to use alternatives to GameStop rather than people grew up and aren't poor any more. Had they offered better values and deals for trade ins vs like, selling your games on Craigslist or offer up or let go they might not be in this position.

But, like, why would I sell my games at all? They are barely worth poo poo to begin with no matter how I sell them. The odds that I might want to play them again vastly outweigh the odds that I could do anything useful with whatever amount of money I get from selling them.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PT6A posted:

But, like, why would I sell my games at all? They are barely worth poo poo to begin with no matter how I sell them. The odds that I might want to play them again vastly outweigh the odds that I could do anything useful with whatever amount of money I get from selling them.
I did end up selling a lot of old Wii games to a CeX that I either didn't care for or had another copy of on PC (the one that got the best price was Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, which I sold because I had Transformed on PC). Got me a decent chunk off the price of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, if nothing else.

Sadly they wouldn't take my PSX games because apparently that's just too far back at this point.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 4, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I sell pretty much all my games after playing. It's easy to play brand new releases for less than $20 that way. I'm never going to play these games again anyways, why would I not take the savings.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only want to play the games I played when i was 14 and I still own them so why would I ever buy a new video game?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The writing has been on the wall for a loooong time though, I'm pretty sure Penny Arcade was cracking jokes about their impending doom back in like 2008.

2007 actually:

I can't imagine that announcements like google's cloud gaming platform are doing their stock any good. Yes, it's unproven and Google has a history of being a serial philanderer when it comes to committing to products, but investors only need to see the words "Google" and "cloud gaming" to get spooked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Upscale pawnshops does seem generous given if the Australian branch EB Games is any indication, it's pretty much the worst place to buy and sell second-hand games. Hence the gradual move into being 50% merchandise.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I only want to play the games I played when i was 14 and I still own them so why would I ever buy a new video game?
Fair, ultimately every new release is competing against your effectively free (or at least, sunk cost) copy of Super Metroid or whatever.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 4, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PT6A posted:

My dude do you have any concept of what it's like to be really poor?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

To clear space of stuff you don't/can't use anymore. I guess maybe there's someone out there trying to squeeze a real deal out of used media vendors, but a lot of people just use it to dispose of stuff they don't want.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul.Power posted:

You mean the same CeX that suddenly abandoned all their US locations at the beginning of 2018? GameStop already deals in earlier generations though, particularly online.

And most of the small time chains that tried to lean hard on really retro game sales like Play n Trade have either collpased or shrunk down to a few dozen stores where they used to have hundreds.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

fishmech posted:

You mean the same CeX that suddenly abandoned all their US locations at the beginning of 2018? GameStop already deals in earlier generations though, particularly online.

And most of the small time chains that tried to lean hard on really retro game sales like Play n Trade have either collpased or shrunk down to a few dozen stores where they used to have hundreds.

I mean, fair, I had no idea what their performance was in the US but they seem to be doing well in Britain.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/easydiff/status/1009159369672441856

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good they’ve been sleazy as poo poo forever and the buying used from them was never really better anyways. I felt pretty good about them trading in my Xbox one s for the same price as a ps4. That just seemed more like desperation than actual sense from them though.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I miss Software Etc. and buying PC games in giant decorative boxes with 75 page spiral bound manuals.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I miss Software Etc. and buying PC games in giant decorative boxes with 75 page spiral bound manuals.

You can pry my cloth map from my cold dead hands.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I still have the massive manual that came with Alpha Centauri that wasn't just instructions on how to play the game but a miniature novelization of the game's backstory and pages of actual science about the planets and stars of the Alpha Centauri system.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hate the way we moved from manuals to tutorials to waiting for people to post YouTube videos. Keep your fingers crossed the videos apply to the current build!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I worked a Funcoland back in the late 90s when it was cool and good. Stole an at the time basically worthless copy of Keio Flying Squadron at some point. Wish I could find it today.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I hate the way we moved from manuals to tutorials to waiting for people to post YouTube videos. Keep your fingers crossed the videos apply to the current build!

Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RandomPauI posted:

I am super nostalgic for manuals, but they mostly were always terrible. A ton of them had cool art and lore and stuff and made rad physical artifacts but they were almost universally terrible at teaching how to play a game. Even if games still came with 400 page manuals people would be watching youtube and reading wikis instead of figuring out the dumb diagrams they put on the first two pages of a manual before going through 70 pages of naming every single enemy in a way that was super fun but did nothing for actually helping you play.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
im sorry but you're wrong old manuals were great and informative

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I am super nostalgic for manuals, but they mostly were always terrible. A ton of them had cool art and lore and stuff and made rad physical artifacts but they were almost universally terrible at teaching how to play a game. Even if games still came with 400 page manuals people would be watching youtube and reading wikis instead of figuring out the dumb diagrams they put on the first two pages of a manual before going through 70 pages of naming every single enemy in a way that was super fun but did nothing for actually helping you play.

You can't truly be good at the game until you are fully immersed in the game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I have an original 1999 Everquest manual and its hilarious -- they tried to include game world maps and specific information for an MMO that were out of date by the time the game launched, let alone two or (20!) years later