Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I couldn't believe was how the dude wore an actual trench coat, and his plan was basically the same as Columbine's turned out to have been originally. And yet I can't find much linking the two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trenchcoats was a common stereotype of teenage weirdos at the time. (though I heard the Columbine kids didn't actually wear them, some of their victims did) More the wild narcissism, parental neglect and white nationalist connections. (which of course got ignored because of video games)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their school had some group who called themselves the Trenchcoat Mafia. The 2 shooters weren't part of the group but had friends who were, and they did wear some on the day of to conceal the weapons.

The news kind of mixed that up together at the time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plus that was around the first Matrix film, so trench coats became a thing in high school at the time around the country. Source: I graduated 2001.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

IUG posted:

Plus that was around the first Matrix film, so trench coats became a thing in high school at the time around the country. Source: I graduated 2001.

In high school (same era, slightly later) I knew a guy who didn't wear a trench coat, but instead wore something like a choir dress with buttons printed down the front to mimic a trench coat. I think it was a Matrix costume from a Halloween catalog or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's his costume from the sequels.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I bought a London fog trench coat to emulate by professional dressing dad in 1989. Wore it my whole high school years from 1991 to 1995.

Also the stupid loving matching fedora. Woof.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizzardstaff posted:

I think it was a Matrix costume from a Halloween catalog or something.

I've seen those in stores, it's usually labeled "cyber priest costume" so they don't get sued.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

haveblue posted:

"cyber priest costume"

laughing much harder at this than i should

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That costume doesn't sound like a very orthodox way to honor the machine spirit. :commissar:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

wizzardstaff posted:

That costume doesn't sound like a very orthodox way to honor the machine spirit. :commissar:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My high school had an 'active shooter' incident before school shootings were all the rage (and before I went there, though I had a class in the room he held hostages in.) That guy wore a trenchcoat. I think it's just something about the image of the dark stranger in the leather duster that makes it a thing for disaffected youth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're also easy to conceal weapons in when you're walking around.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

taqueso posted:

My high school had an 'active shooter' incident before school shootings were all the rage (and before I went there, though I had a class in the room he held hostages in.) That guy wore a trenchcoat. I think it's just something about the image of the dark stranger in the leather duster that makes it a thing for disaffected youth.

Yeah, it was cool until the disaffected youth started wearing it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had people threatening me for wearing a full length wool coat in 2000 as part of my goth look because they thought I was in the trenchcoat mafia lmao

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

I had people threatening me for wearing a full length wool coat in 2000 as part of my goth look because they thought I was in the trenchcoat mafia lmao

Isn’t it cold where you are at? I didn’t even have that excuse because CA Bay Area lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have this giant leather duster monstrosity I inherited from my great grandfather. It's designed to be basically rain-impervious cause it was for if you were riding a motorcycle in heavy rain. On the one hand, from a practical standpoint, it's a great raincoat ; you literally can't even feel the rain on you know matter how hard it gets cause it's like 20 pounds of solid leather and even has some absurd attached cape thing. On the other hand it looks like something an extra edgelordy Cenobite would wear, the aforementioned being 20 pounds of loving leather and o yeah pretty sure it's a Nazi coat : brought it home from the war (great-grandpappy had polio so he probably hopefully didn't do a war-crime since you know crippled, but he got conscripted as a motorcycle courier in 44 or 45, it's unclear cause he promptly drank himself to death upon getting home) and it's uh got some very distinctive parts wear it's been patched where you'd keep insignia and gross poo poo. I didn't even want this thing, I just got it cause I'm about the same size and all my cousins back in Germany were like gently caress no we don't want the Nazi coat let's mail it to Xiahou Dun now that opa died.

Every single time there's a really bad rainstorm I just have to stare at this thing and decide if I wanna get soaked or look like the worst person ever. I basically just try to stay home as much as I can if it rains now.

That's my gross coat story.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Make a shadow box display on how it was taken from a dead Nazi and his body was later peed on by black GIs. Then sell it on Ebay to some idiot wehraboo for big money for honor of placing it in his shrine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

1) Wrong side of the war. :(

2) It really is loving great at being a coat. Like when Hurricane Sandy hit I was basically just walking around immune to the concept of weather, which was handy because I was helping my then girlfriend move a shelter.

3) I don't know if I want wehraboo money.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

1) Wrong side of the war. :(

2) It really is loving great at being a coat. Like when Hurricane Sandy hit I was basically just walking around immune to the concept of weather, which was handy because I was helping my then girlfriend move a shelter.

3) I don't know if I want wehraboo money.

1) doesn’t matter
2) well ok
3) it’s not like you are selling them real gold teeth

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fair. I do loving hate that coat.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have this giant leather duster monstrosity I inherited from my great grandfather. It's designed to be basically rain-impervious cause it was for if you were riding a motorcycle in heavy rain. On the one hand, from a practical standpoint, it's a great raincoat ; you literally can't even feel the rain on you know matter how hard it gets cause it's like 20 pounds of solid leather and even has some absurd attached cape thing. On the other hand it looks like something an extra edgelordy Cenobite would wear, the aforementioned being 20 pounds of loving leather and o yeah pretty sure it's a Nazi coat : brought it home from the war (great-grandpappy had polio so he probably hopefully didn't do a war-crime since you know crippled, but he got conscripted as a motorcycle courier in 44 or 45, it's unclear cause he promptly drank himself to death upon getting home) and it's uh got some very distinctive parts wear it's been patched where you'd keep insignia and gross poo poo. I didn't even want this thing, I just got it cause I'm about the same size and all my cousins back in Germany were like gently caress no we don't want the Nazi coat let's mail it to Xiahou Dun now that opa died.

Every single time there's a really bad rainstorm I just have to stare at this thing and decide if I wanna get soaked or look like the worst person ever. I basically just try to stay home as much as I can if it rains now.

Sew a COEXIST logo on the back and it'll cancel out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sew a swastika and a coexist next to each other and practice saying "I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir. The duality of man, the Jungian thing, sir."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

That's pretty much the entirety of it.

Why do shooters with rifles and SMGs always seem to be wearing long coats? Because it's easy to hide poo poo under them. The stereotype of a heavily armed dude hiding it all under a long coat exists because you can't hide a bunch of guns as easily under a t-shirt.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's pretty much the entirety of it.

Why do shooters with rifles and SMGs always seem to be wearing long coats? Because it's easy to hide poo poo under them. The stereotype of a heavily armed dude hiding it all under a long coat exists because you can't hide a bunch of guns as easily under a t-shirt.

When I wear a t-shirt, it's to put these guns on display. :smug:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

haveblue posted:

I've seen those in stores, it's usually labeled "cyber priest costume" so they don't get sued.

So it’s a johnny mnemonic costume

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

So it’s a johnny mnemonic costume

HALT, SINNERS!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

accept that you have to wear hitler's coat in order to defeat nature

most of us do not have that option and no matter how little we care about looking like hitler, we cannot avoid the wrath of poseidon

your great grandfather has given you both great power and a great burden, bear it proudly. wear that coat everyday, walking with a confident stride that says "though I may look like hitler, I am not, nor do I wish to be, I wear this hitler coat for purely practical reasons"

enhance this effect by sewing the words "NOT HITLER" into the back of it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cock hero flux posted:

most of us do not have that option and no matter how little we care about looking like hitler, we cannot avoid the wrath of poseidon

your great grandfather has given you both great power and a great burden, bear it proudly. wear that coat everyday, walking with a confident stride that says "though I may look like hitler, I am not, nor do I wish to be, I wear this hitler coat for purely practical reasons"

Just be sure to put both NOT and HITLER on the same side of the coat. Failing that, at least make sure everyone you meet sees the NOT side first.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Trenchcoats was a common stereotype of teenage weirdos at the time. (though I heard the Columbine kids didn't actually wear them, some of their victims did) More the wild narcissism, parental neglect and white nationalist connections. (which of course got ignored because of video games)

Can confirm, was teenage weirdo, wore East German Army greatcoat during the mid-90s. I didn't even have The Matrix as an excuse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Make a Coexist patch with a swastika instead of the X

E: actually looking at the real one more closely, EXTRA don’t

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Apr 5, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Personally, I only wear a trench coat when I am in a trench.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aphrodite posted:

True, but I meant he wore one on the reg.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I actually sought out trench/greatcoats after Columbine in order to enhance my image at school. It kinda worked, but I was already the weirdest pasty nerd at school and would never have been considered cool or dangerous. I kept wearing them because they are actually really solid weather-stoppers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wool full length navy officer pea coat is the single most expensive clothing item I own and i love it.

I’m not an officer. I removed the dumb gold buttons and shoulder straps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m not an officer. I removed the dumb gold buttons and shoulder straps.

Not with THAT attitude, you aren't :colbert:.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a trench coat back in the day. Then never wore it because it's Australia and too hot for that sort of poo poo.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

LingcodKilla posted:

I bought a London fog trench coat to emulate by professional dressing dad in 1989. Wore it my whole high school years from 1991 to 1995.

Also the stupid loving matching fedora. Woof.

oh my god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm starting to see the mercy in school uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

cock hero flux posted: