Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord palumbo

lord palumbo of southwark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

earl peel

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lord plonk of washing-upon-liquid

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord pickles

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord polak :whitewater:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord purvis of tweed

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
There is a tradition dating back to at least the 17th century where fat Lords are mocked for being fat in elaborate ways by the other Lords, this fat-joke involves the restuffing of the wool sack, and ridiculing a portly Viscount:

quote:

THE WOOLSACK
HL Deb 03 August 1965 vol 269 cc115-7 115
§ 2.36 p.m.

§LORD HURD My Lords, I beg leave to ask the first Question which stands in my name on the Order Paper.
§ [The Question was as follows:

§ To ask Her Majesty's Government whether, in view of the fact that the Woolsack in this House was last refilled as long ago as 1938, and on that occasion wool given by the woolgrowers of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa was used, consideration will now be given to restuffing the Woolsack with wool produced entirely within the Commonwealth, including the United Kingdom.]

§THE PARLIAMENTARY UNDER-SECRETARY OF STATE FOR COMMONWEALTH RELATIONS AND FOR THE COLONIES (LORD TAYLOR) My 116 Lords, the interior condition of the Woolsack, even after 27 years' wear, is quite satisfactory. Although I have not personally inspected the contents of the Woolsack, Her Majesty's Government understand from those who are qualified in these matters that the contents are wearing well, and that even after 27 years they do not need renewal. No complaints have been received from noble Lords who have sat on it during that period. The reason why it was refilled in 1938 was that it was discovered that the stuffing was horsehair, and not wool at all. When the time comes to refurbish the Woolsack, Her Majesty's Government will be happy to act upon the noble Lord's suggestion.
§LORD HURD My Lords, may I thank the noble Lord for that informative reply? May I take it that he agrees that, as right from the earliest days the Woolsack has stood for the importance of the wool trade in England, it is only appropriate that wool produced in this country, in Scotland and in Wales should be included in the Woolsack? Would Her Majesty's Government consider an offer from the British Wool Marketing Board to supply wool from England, Scotland and Wales, and also to collect wool from other Commonwealth countries—including a small one that I happen to know well, the Falkland Islands—so that we really have an all-Commonwealth Woolsack? If the British Wool Marketing Board would see to that, and would also have it restuffed at their cost, would that be acceptable to Her Majesty's Government?
§LORD TAYLOR My Lords, it would indeed be acceptable to Her Majesty's Government. The Woolsack has at present a wooden frame inside it, as well as the wool, and a certain amount of horsehair on the outside of that, which is necessary for comfort. I should just remind the noble Lord that the number of Commonwealth countries which produce wool is quite substantial, and includes not only the portions of the United Kingdom but also Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Kenya, Cyprus, India and Pakistan, and the Dependencies Bechuanaland, Basutoland and Swaziland.
§VISCOUNT DILHORNE My Lords, the noble Lord referred to the condition of the Woolsack. Is he aware that in 1964, at least, there was the need for a 117 certain amount of refilling—it had sunk a little? Perhaps that has been made good since that time with horsehair or wool.
§LORD TAYLOR My Lords, I knew it had been restuffed slightly in 1950, but I did not realise that the noble and learned Viscount had himself made a deep impression on it.
EARL FERRERS My Lords, could the noble Lord give an assurance that the Government Front Bench is not stuffed with a similar material?
§LORD TAYLOR Yes, my Lords.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord ramsbotham

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I move that Squizzle's Reading of the Lords becomes tradition in this house

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord razzall

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord renfrew of kaimsthorn

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

twoday posted:

There is a tradition dating back to at least the 17th century where fat Lords are mocked for being fat in elaborate ways by the other Lords, this fat-joke involves the restuffing of the wool sack, and ridiculing a portly Viscount:

the sooner brexit destroys the UK, the better imo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness rock

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
"Now hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord rose of monewden,who may or may not be a traditional ballad turned human by the mace

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord rowe-beddoe

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i hope the lords suck each others dicks too

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord sacks

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord st john of bletso

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
there once was a lord from Nantucket

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness shackleton of belgravia

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord sharkey

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness sherlock

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord snape

killed dumbledore

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

earl of stair

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord steel of aikwood

lord sterling of plaistow

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness stern

its a lot like life, and thats whats appealing

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord stirrup

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
every squizzle post is real lmao

i thought he was doing a bit

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Come play, My Lords

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord stone of blackheath

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness sugg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord swinfen

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord tebbit

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

baroness tonge

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Stairmaster posted:

i feel like in understanding the mindset that lead to brexit its important to remember this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK8jzTVxOP8

Hahaha WHAT

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I don’t “get” the house o’ lords

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord tope

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lord touhig

Adbot