Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't think I'm going to read Urth of the New Sun. I read somewhere that Wolfe wanted Book of the New Sun to be one massive tome, but the publisher made him break it up to four novels. He was apparently so pissed at this that he excised sections, which explains the sudden change of setting from the Wall to Saltus between Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator. Not sure if that's true but if so it would make me wary of reading Urth.

I've never heard that before and I don't think it's true, Wolfe leaving out big sections is just his style. It is true that New Sun was intended to be a trilogy, but the Sword/Citadel part got too long so it became a quadrilogy. The storytelling parts of Citadel were added to pad out the length after. Given that he had written the first draft of all four books before Shadow was published I don't think he was mad about it not being one volume? Source for all that is Castle of Days.

Urth is good, you should read it. It's a lot different from New Sun and in typical Wolfe fashion is not really what you would expect from a New Sun sequel. Agreed that Short Sun is the best of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The Long Sun is my favorite. Silk is my favorite character in pretty much any medium.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The Long Sun is my favorite. Silk is my favorite character in pretty much any medium.

I love silk but still haven't managed to finish long sun. It just feels so tedious reading it after a while

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Fortunately he is still the (unwitting) protag of the majority of Short Sun as well

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Reading a thousand pages of boring stuff so you can read some good stuff after it is a fool’s errand. There are plenty of great books that don’t require you to slog through rubbish.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Amethyst posted:

Reading a thousand pages of boring stuff so you can read some good stuff after it is a fool’s errand. There are plenty of great books that don’t require you to slog through rubbish.

This is the logic of late capitalism

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is the logic of late capitalism

What?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Amethyst posted:

what's any of this have to do with Gene Wolfe

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

what's any of this have to do with Gene Wolfe

anilEhilated posted:

Basically it's worth it to tough it out through Long Sun because Short Sun is (IMO) the best of the bunch and makes absolutely no sense without having read Long Sun first.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Long sun is v dull

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

naw Long Sun is a wonderful and subtle story that's a bit slow at times

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I thought the alzabo soup episodes discussing fifth head of Cerberus were very good as a close reading though I didn't agree with all of their conclusions. Sucks to hear that the new sun episodes aren't as good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
how can you be sure those who say they aren't good aren't unreliable narrators

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm not and I'll probably listen to them anyway

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm sure some people will really like it, it just didn't do anything for me. I think I enjoy the mystery too much. Even though I know it's a sci-fi story, to me it works better as a fantasy story. I enjoy being as clueless as Severian. The enjoyment I might get from unraveling one of the mysteries (with science!) isn't as good as the feeling I read the first time I read about the Atrium of Time, or the encounter with the witches.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Been reading Endangered Species. It's interesting seeing Wolfe's stories from before the '80s as he was experimenting with different styles - for instance the Copperfield story written in a Victorian era fashion and the detective of dreams story which apes late 19th/early 20th century mystery pulp. The story I probably enjoyed most so far, though, was The HORARs of War - aside from being a good story about synthetic people used for war, it managed to cover all the themes and some of the major plot points from the first Bladerunner film several years before that movie, which amused me.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ElGroucho posted:

I'm sure some people will really like it, it just didn't do anything for me. I think I enjoy the mystery too much. Even though I know it's a sci-fi story, to me it works better as a fantasy story. I enjoy being as clueless as Severian. The enjoyment I might get from unraveling one of the mysteries (with science!) isn't as good as the feeling I read the first time I read about the Atrium of Time, or the encounter with the witches.

Unfortunately neither you nor I can read it for the first time again

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Have you read "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Have you read "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny?

No, but I will now!

PS: finally finished Peace, and even though I thought I was ready, I am all hosed up now and will not sleep well

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm reading Sword of the Lictor and Typhon was such a weird, unsettling take on Satan's temptation of Christ in the desert. How swiftly Severian reacted really blew me away.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't think I'm going to read Urth of the New Sun. I read somewhere that Wolfe wanted Book of the New Sun to be one massive tome, but the publisher made him break it up to four novels. He was apparently so pissed at this that he excised sections, which explains the sudden change of setting from the Wall to Saltus between Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator. Not sure if that's true but if so it would make me wary of reading Urth.

From his essays in Castle of the Otter, Wolfe originally planned BotNS as a trilogy, but vol 3 ended up significantly longer than the other two. He asked his publisher if they were cool with him doing a tetralogy so that he wouldn't have to cut things and they agreed.

My understanding of Urth is that it was written as a response to questions. Wolfe being Wolfe, he felt that all of the answers provided in Urth were present or at least implied in BotNS. I enjoyed reading it because i freely admit that I am not creative or smart enough to figure out the mysteries on my own.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1117819844219547654

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

The unfortunate day is finally here. I'm just here to pay my respects. What an absolute Titan. We were so lucky to walk the earth at the same time as him.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
:(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is a real loving bummer.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Aww, gently caress.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress.
A fitting tribute.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Fuuuuuck. He's with Rosemary now. :smith:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

gently caress. I knew there would come a day when more than half a dozen or so new replies meant he was dead.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I literally bought A Borrowed Man yesterday at a used bookstore. This sucks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
gently caress!!

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I literally bought A Borrowed Man yesterday at a used bookstore. This sucks.

If only it had been a new copy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm doing a memorial tattoo. Help me pick a banner text for him.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I'm doing a memorial tattoo. Help me pick a banner text for him.

Terminus Est Sorry

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
gently caress

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the greatest. rest in peace, there will never be a writer quite like you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElGroucho posted:

Terminus Est Sorry

Lmao. I already got Terminus Est tattooed on my arm when I was an angsty teen.

I'm planning on doing an old, anthropomorphic Grey wolf with a large moustache and glasses. I'll probably have him wearing Gene Wolfe's hat too. I'd like a banner underneath with something pithy and Wolfean. Terminus Est works, but having it twice on my body seems a bit much.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
drat. Looks like my reread of the Sun books is going to be a bit more sombre.

Gene Wolfe:Reliable narrator of unreliable narrators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
:cry: