Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you actually look at the TVDB entry, because that stuff all seems to be there.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/beavis-and-butt-head/seasons/0

:stare:

Well I'll be damned. Never in a million years did I think they'd actually have the Howard Stern Show listed in a Beavis and Butt-head specials database. I had no idea they did that for anything other than stuff aired on the same channel.

I still stand by the fact that there should be an option to list all files in an "Other" folder for TV shows but it looks like that's a moot point for this show at least.

FCKGW posted:

We really need some sort of decentralized open-source TVDB. Preferably on the blockchain.

I’ll start the wiki.

Yeah man I am currently battling episodes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and its titles. I have it recording from the antenna on my roof to the HD Homerun Connect and Plex records the episodes. Even with Plex handling literally everything, all the episode names are messed up because the show is 30 minutes long, with two 15 minute episodes for each episode (just like Beavis and Butthead now that I think about it), and Plex even names the file names themselves properly. But the metadata is completely wrong because it shows up as one 30 minute episode instead of two 30 minute episodes, and everything is completely out of wack as a result and it's probably going to miss recording a ton of episodes because it thinks I have them already. 1st world problems I know but I used two goddamn ladders to get on my roof in 35 degree weather just for this one show and TVDB is messing with me.

Enos Cabell posted:

I was halfway kidding, but if you wanted to go to the trouble I'd for sure hop on that poo poo!

Sure, PM if you want and I am sure we can figure something out (keep in mind I've never created a torrent in my life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah as crappy as tvdb can be at times, usually if there’s stuff going around related to a show it’ll usually end up listed on there regardless of what it is. It’s more ‘Misc Crap’ than ‘Specials’ half the time, as not that many shows have anything outside of the normal aired episodes.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah man I am currently battling episodes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and its titles. I have it recording from the antenna on my roof to the HD Homerun Connect and Plex records the episodes. Even with Plex handling literally everything, all the episode names are messed up because the show is 30 minutes long, with two 15 minute episodes for each episode (just like Beavis and Butthead now that I think about it), and Plex even names the file names themselves properly. But the metadata is completely wrong because it shows up as one 30 minute episode instead of two 30 minute episodes, and everything is completely out of wack as a result and it's probably going to miss recording a ton of episodes because it thinks I have them already. 1st world problems I know but I used two goddamn ladders to get on my roof in 35 degree weather just for this one show and TVDB is messing with me.

Keep in mind, TVDB tends to lean towards each title = episode. Daniel Tiger and other shows like it basically spawn 2 episodes per actual 30 min run time. I run into the same issue a lot. Kid shows are murderous for this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s been a problem for many, many years and is never going to go away while the tvdb is the main source.

TheXem.de does their best to fix what it can, but only so much it can do when it’s episode splitting that’s the issue (it’s pretty spot on when tvdb decides to use a different season naming scheme than everyone else, see: American Dad) and Sonarr uses this by default, but that won’t help for hdhr sourced stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

haha I'd be happy to but you'd all probably be mad the way I encoded them. I set it in handbrake to rip them at 8mbps to mp4 because I didn't want any quality loss, and typical DVDs are 8mbps.

I mean if you want to get all pedantic about it I bet you didn't even direct stream copy the mpeg-2 did you? It's probably h264/h265 inside that mp4.

Makemkv can do the direct stream copy if you want to truly have "no loss other than what you lost when they made it a DVD."
:goonsay:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MPEG2 is less and less relevant by the day, and fewer devices support it natively than ever. Just x264 or HEVC it and unless you're doing a side by side comparison with the source (which, lets face it, probably doesn't look amazing to begin with) there's probably more gains than losses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

MPEG2 is less and less relevant by the day, and fewer devices support it natively than ever. Just x264 or HEVC it and unless you're doing a side by side comparison with the source (which, lets face it, probably doesn't look amazing to begin with) there's probably more gains than losses.

I was joking. Largely that 8mb h264 is an apples to apples comparison to 8mb MPEG2.

That being said my TiVo can play it natively.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

I mean if you want to get all pedantic about it I bet you didn't even direct stream copy the mpeg-2 did you? It's probably h264/h265 inside that mp4.

Makemkv can do the direct stream copy if you want to truly have "no loss other than what you lost when they made it a DVD."

I actually was going to but I remember doing this with my DVD collection back in the day and it never seemed to work right. Audio would always be out of sync or programs would choke on it or something IIRC.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that’s been a problem for many, many years and is never going to go away while the tvdb is the main source.

TheXem.de does their best to fix what it can, but only so much it can do when it’s episode splitting that’s the issue (it’s pretty spot on when tvdb decides to use a different season naming scheme than everyone else, see: American Dad) and Sonarr uses this by default, but that won’t help for hdhr sourced stuff.

Irritated Goat posted:

Keep in mind, TVDB tends to lean towards each title = episode. Daniel Tiger and other shows like it basically spawn 2 episodes per actual 30 min run time. I run into the same issue a lot. Kid shows are murderous for this.

So here's the funny thing. I specifically googled "Daniel Tiger Plex episode name problems" and got a bunch of forum posts. I found a solution with a script called DVDOrderAgent. I was messing around in Plex for almost an hour trying to figure out why the hell it wasn't showing up before I realized I had to exit the Plex program and open it up again.

Once I changed the show's agent (under "Fix Match) to TheTVDVDdborder, it rescanned everything and it fixed it! All the episodes are now in Plex properly. The funny part? The only ones that aren't are the two episodes it recorded today :psyduck:

These aren't new episodes (it says first aired 2017) so it's not that the info isn't on TVDVD yet. I am guessing it's going to continue forward with newly-recorded episodes with the wrong information and I have no idea why. Even when I re-scan the entire show, the episodes recorded today are the only ones not properly showing up in Plex.

The two on the left are named correctly and were recorded a few days ago, the two on the right were recorded today and will not show up correctly:

What the hell

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 29, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

H110Hawk posted:

I was joking. Largely that 8mb h264 is an apples to apples comparison to 8mb MPEG2.

That being said my TiVo can play it natively.

Phew ;) Yeah I reckon with some testing, you could probably do a full resolution encode at lower resolutions and keep pretty much all the detail (I'm guessing multiple passes would help with the difference needed for the live action bits over the animated). I wonder how much the whole thing would take up in HEVC compared to those old ISOs that have been floating around for years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone getting this error? Looks like it’s the kind of thing that affects a bunch of people at once, and I won’t mess around with the server all day if the case.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/on-my-appl...rt-up/285404/13

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Hello friends,

i'd like to have audio files duplicated and converted (as in, leave the originals in place) to ALAC or AAC on download. The way I figure it, I can do this through ffmpeg in the same container that's running either sabnzbd or lidarr. However, I haven't figured out how to pass values back and forth from SAB or Lidarr to ffmpeg. Is there a sane way to do this? How are other people accomplishing this?

I've been googling but have had waaaaay less luck than I expected, this must be less common that I originally thought.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

..and it turns out my Plex problems were due to one of my drives unmounting for some reason. Thanks for the totally helpful error message plex! At least infuse said ‘the media is missing’ which made me wonder...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Plex error messages are like that. From experience now, without even looking closely at the error, I double check to make sure the transcode drive isn't full, the media library array isn't full, the file exists, and ffmpeg can read it without making GBS threads a brick.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive been chasing a weird issue for a few weeks now and I figured Id share the resolution.

i had a bunch of HEVC 4k/HDR stuff that I downloaded to play on new OLED TV. all of them worked fine, until about 3 weeks ago. New movies I had acquired did not play, and eventually errored out with a H4 codec error on my TVS built in Plex app.

going back and attempting to play known working files that I had played previously also gave the same error.

long story short, I found someone on plex forums who had a similar issue and resolved by running multiplexer in MKVToolNix GUI. not changing anything, just running the multiplexer. This did fix my issue.

So not satisfied with the idea of having to run this every time I download a new movie (and getting 50GB rips meaning it would be a few hours for each one to process) I looked into why this fixed it.

its one of two things. Its either changing the 'date modified' on the file (as it creates a new file) or its because it renames the file slightly (by default, adding a (x) to the end, where X is the copy number.

I also went and renamed files that contained () characters as most of the culprits were specifying 10bit in the file name, and that seems to have fixed the issue without multiplexing the file.

So I went and told Sonarr to not put the movies release year in parentheses any more and that should fix the problem moving forward.

so where do I go to submit the bug?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Laserface posted:

so where do I go to submit the bug?

Official Plex forum in the section for the smart tv apps, probably.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New UI

https://www.plex.tv/blog/remastered-thanks-to-you-our-brand-new-tv-navigation-is-here/

Been using the newish unraid nvidia support and hardware transcoding is working pretty drat well. Really impressed with how seamless it is. I got a p2000 for it, but my friend with a 1050ti was able to unlock more than 2 transcode streams.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glad they're coming back to the best UI that is Plex Home Theater. Or at least something similar to it. Hope that design language makes its way back to the mobile apps too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As an Apple TV user I’m a little worried as the interface on that is great, especially compared to the one on Roku, Smart TVs etc. I’ll be watching the feedback of the beta...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bandwidth errors cropped back up on my Shield, seems to be a long time problem with zero dev feedback. It's frustrating because Emby plays the same content on the same device with no problems at all, but I ponied up for the lifetime Plex pass already.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-player-on-shield-your-connection-to-the-server-is-not-fast-enough-to-stream-this-video/225489/61

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to look for to fix an issue?

I am a fairly basic Plex user. I basically load my movies/TV shows into their respective folders, scan with Plex, and watch them on one of our four Roku devices. I haven't changed any settings from the defaults.

The problem is there's a handful of titles that will work on the Roku TVs but when you try to play them on one of the two Express equipped TVs, it shows the still image while loading like normal and then the screen goes black and only the audio plays.

It seems odd that the Expresses are about 3 years newer than one of the Roku TVs, yet they're the ones with issues.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

kri kri posted:

New UI

https://www.plex.tv/blog/remastered-thanks-to-you-our-brand-new-tv-navigation-is-here/

Been using the newish unraid nvidia support and hardware transcoding is working pretty drat well. Really impressed with how seamless it is. I got a p2000 for it, but my friend with a 1050ti was able to unlock more than 2 transcode streams.

Will this new UI come to the NVidia Shield? I hate the Plex UI on it (but I live with it) and that one looks so much nicer.

Also how did your friend unlock 2 transcode streams? Why is the 1050i artificially limited in number of streams anyway?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mammal Sauce posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to look for to fix an issue?

I am a fairly basic Plex user. I basically load my movies/TV shows into their respective folders, scan with Plex, and watch them on one of our four Roku devices. I haven't changed any settings from the defaults.

The problem is there's a handful of titles that will work on the Roku TVs but when you try to play them on one of the two Express equipped TVs, it shows the still image while loading like normal and then the screen goes black and only the audio plays.

It seems odd that the Expresses are about 3 years newer than one of the Roku TVs, yet they're the ones with issues.

Seems like it's not a Plex issue, but an issue with the Express and the TVs. Are the TVs with the Roku Express boxes 1080p? 720p? Try toggling the Roku resolution setting as per this thread: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=136752 and see if that gets the picture to show up on those particular files.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

sometimes stuff like this is a codec problem, in that the codec is supported but maybe not the resolution/framerate that the video is encoded in.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I’ve heard that people are downloading the apk for Plex and putting it on the Shield. Anyone tried that for great success?

Also if my TV doesn’t support EAC3, which apparently everything is encoded as now and the options in Plex to boost sound isn’t helping, are there any other alternatives like getting an AVR? Right now I have an LG OLED E6 and an older LG sound bar, SH7B. Neither support EAC3 as far as I can tell. Sucks because newer LGs support it just fine.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I just got a Shield TV for Plex (viewing only), iPlayer and YouTube and it owns. It's way more responsive than anything else I've used, now when I press a button it doesn't wait 5 seconds before responding.

I want something similar for a second smaller TV mainly for use with Plex. Currently using a Roku stick on that and it's painfully slow. I'm not going to buy another Shield, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that still offers decent performance? Ideally something that could be powered by USB only, but that's not a deal breaker.

Boner Wad posted:

I’ve heard that people are downloading the apk for Plex and putting it on the Shield. Anyone tried that for great success?

Not sure why you'd need to do that? The Shield supports Plex as a standard app. It works as both server and client.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The Plex UI on the Shield is kinda lovely. The one built into my LG OLED is light-years better. Maybe it has something to do with that?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

I just got a Shield TV for Plex (viewing only), iPlayer and YouTube and it owns. It's way more responsive than anything else I've used, now when I press a button it doesn't wait 5 seconds before responding.

I want something similar for a second smaller TV mainly for use with Plex. Currently using a Roku stick on that and it's painfully slow. I'm not going to buy another Shield, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that still offers decent performance? Ideally something that could be powered by USB only, but that's not a deal breaker.

Not sure why you'd need to do that? The Shield supports Plex as a standard app. It works as both server and client.

there's nothing as good as the shield at a lower price point.

i think the guy must have been thinking about using the shield as a plex server? but as you said that's baked into the OS and doesn't require sideloading an apk.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Plex app on the Shield has been pretty poo poo in my experience, I'm tempted to try side-loading the apk myself.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just use Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon. Best of both worlds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My old man uses FireTV, I think most of his are the stick version even. Definitely better performance than low end Roku devices.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Shield works for me as far as Plex but I only share out to one occasional user. I do thing the UI is fugly and I wish they would have the same format for all supported versions.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What APK are people talking about side loading on the Shield?

I ask because because the Shield uses the same exact Plex app that all Android based devices use... i.e. FireStick/FireTV, some smart TVs, Nexus Player, etc... What exactly is there to sideload?

The new PlexUI has not been made available on the Android based devices as of yet far as I know.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Dunno what everyone's beef is with the Plex UI on Shield. It's not especially attractive or anything but all the necessary information is there, it's easy to use and I'm not going to die of old age waiting for it to register a button press.

Why are the UI's on these devices always so sluggish? Seems like displaying a menu is a fairly basic requirement, but then I ain't no computer code guy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

My old man uses FireTV, I think most of his are the stick version even. Definitely better performance than low end Roku devices.

I'll give that a go then. The Stick is cheap, and I can always make use of Amazon's liberal return policy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I find on the Plex app on my Shield I often have no goddamn clue if I'm in movies or TV shows or in suggestions and want to just go to my alphabetical list of everything but I'm in some mess of Top Movie Suggestions For You. And I get stuck in a bunch of poo poo like podcasts and such, wondering where the hell the movies are. It's not terrible but it's not great. The version on my LG OLED TV blew the balls off me the first time I used it. I couldn't believe how much better it was.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
plex ui on shield is missing basic information like who the director of a movie is and who is in the cast. i wish the navigation arrows for tv show episodes weren't five clicks apart from each other, making it cumbersome to look at the information of multiple episodes of a tv show quickly. i'd also like the plot for tv episodes displayed along with the rest of the information on the pause screen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why are the UI's on these devices always so sluggish? Seems like displaying a menu is a fairly basic requirement, but then I ain't no computer code guy.

I think the bigger issue is that low end Roku devices are really low end. Plex is the worst offender by far but other streaming apps on my older Roku TV are also noticeably laggier than my Roku Ultra.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a Roku Express and no real complaints about Plex speed. It’s small enough too that I can tack it behind the tv it’s connected to and is still powered by USB. Not really sure the purpose of the stick when it’s not much cheaper and everyone always rags on the performance.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I have both Roku stick 3800's and The Roku 4k stick in my house and they're buttery smooth. I used to have an older Roku stick though and that def chugged from time to time in some UI's.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a Roku Express and no real complaints about Plex speed. It’s small enough too that I can tack it behind the tv it’s connected to and is still powered by USB. Not really sure the purpose of the stick when it’s not much cheaper and everyone always rags on the performance.

The 4k sticks work great, and comes with an RF remote. The express does not, so I'm not sure how you're getting a decent signal to the remote if it's behind the tv. The express specifically comes with a double sided tape strip for mount it on top or bottom of the TV so the IR receiver can be oriented in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll have to check how I mounted it when I get home, but I have zero issue with the remote. I even bought a little mount so it could sit above or below the TV if needed due to anticipating that, but I never needed to use it in the end.

Never had a piece of tape with mine, unless I simply didn't spot it in the box. Is that a new addition perhaps? I think my Express is the newest-bar-one (2017 model according to my Amazon order page) so might be something they've included since.