Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The first immediate goal in Kenshi is to punch a paladin in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.
talk poo poo, get rekt

then you can start getting poo poo-talked to and doing the rekting instead

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

Consider using the nobodies start instead of the lone wanderer, you will get five useless guys instead of one. Is more forgiving. If the hunger clock stresses you out, consider rising the hunger slider when starting the game. If you use the nobodies start, I recommend to restart until you start in the Hub.

Please please please take this advice, the nobodies start starts you in a random ruin somewhere on the map and some of those ruins can be in highly dangerous endgame areas that are almost impossible to survive for a first time player

also, Kenshi is a game where you make your own goals but a goal I recommend for new players is to start in the hub and turn your efforts towards getting strong enough to beat up hungry bandits. Then, small groups of dust bandits, then progress to larger groups and finally, your ultimate goal is to assault the dust bandits' tower and take the dust king. By the time you've progressed that far you'll have a good idea of how things work, and thanks to fighting and looting bandits all the time you should have a nice little nest egg to strike out on your own with, if you want!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it feasible to set up a tiny iron mine / steel refinery with no defences and just run the gently caress away when anybody starts poo poo? Then when I have a few hundred iron plates / steel bars abandon site and haul back to the hub to craft with?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So are Katana, Nodachi, and Naginata not good weapons? I always wanted to make genuine post-apocalyptic Samurai.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it feasible to set up a tiny iron mine / steel refinery with no defences and just run the gently caress away when anybody starts poo poo? Then when I have a few hundred iron plates / steel bars abandon site and haul back to the hub to craft with?

It automatically becomes an outpost and every faction around will decide to stop by with a large group of guys.
But if its close enough to a city, you might be able to do it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So are Katana, Nodachi, and Naginata not good weapons? I always wanted to make genuine post-apocalyptic Samurai.

They're really good actually, post-apocalyptic samurai are basically the whole point of this game. Most enemies are lightly armored so the katanas tear them up, the naginata and other polearm variants wreck animals. Robots do pose a problem but you can either out level them or just get a few heavy weapons in your squad for robot duty.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Katana and Nodachi are good weapons early on. They are light, have a decent two-strike overhead animation and by being all cut damage they improve dexterity the fastest from all the early weapons. Nodachi is the most offensive of all the weapons in the katana class. However, their damage is not great later on and they are pretty powerless against heavily armored foes.

Naginatas are similar to katanas, light, fast, better reach, decent dexterity growth and good attack bonuses. They also get outclassed later on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Nodachi's speed combined with its attack range make it useful for a good while, like a fast Heavy Weapon more useful for clearing chaff than hurting big boys

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The katana is fundamentally bad due to lack of armor penetration and low range of strikes leaving it ineffective against both strong individual opponents and large masses of them. The Naginata is good, but can be outclassed by the heavy polearm later on, and polearms as a weapon become outclassed by heavy weapons in general if you have the strength. Nodachi is okay.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Do I need to sleep or anything at night?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Agent355 posted:

No. Sleeping is only for recovering from injury.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You don't need to sleep at night but you do need to go steal some poo poo

(sleeping in a bed makes you heal faster if you're wounded but isn't ever required)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Sleeping also greatly slows down your hunger rate.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cool, okay so there is some copper just outside the city and if any bandits gently caress with me I can run away and the guards will kill them and I can chop down some legless survivors to train some weapon skills. I can tell the game to mine, turn the speed to turbo, and alt tab, but can I get the game to auto pause if an enemy aggros me or something so I can safely let the game just go for a bit?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nope!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I tried to have a squad afk mine while my other people explored/stole stuff. Everyone got eaten by a bonedog.
(Not bonedogs plural. One dog.)

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

it's hard to get away with afk grinding outside of a few specific scenarios. You're better off having a couple dudes do the mining grind, whilst you explore/do other poo poo with other characters. That way you can at least keep an eye on the grinders if things go awry.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

I tried to have a squad afk mine while my other people explored/stole stuff. Everyone got eaten by a bonedog.

I like to think that your squads were on different sides of the map and the bone dog was just going for the gold

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Lone Badger posted:

Good dog.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a few game weeks into my Rebirth-start ninja team. After breaking out, my two greenlander and their two Shek BFFs have slowly become a gang of absolute wreckers when it comes to Dust Bandits and weak Cannibals.

It is so satisfying to have your martial arts dude finally competing for damage with your heavy weapon mooks. I usually get bored with base building, so I'm trying to play this one a little more nomadic, setting up safehouses in cities and keeping my team small and elite.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

I like to think that your squads were on different sides of the map and the bone dog was just going for the gold

After he took down the miners he camped the bodies and took out the rescuers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's only one really safe place to do afk powergaming and it's slavery

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's only one really safe place to do afk powergaming and it's slavery

What can you level as a slave?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strength, athletics, toughness, labor, lockpicking, stealth, assassination, robbery.

(Only strength, athletics and labour afk, but it gives a fully safe environment to raise the others)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

and the most important stats of them all, martial arts

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I think the slave start might be a bit frustrating for new players. Also, martial arts, while good later on if you know what you are doing, is a pain to level up early and therefore I think it's a trap for new players.

This are my unpopular opinions :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I spend too much time with 80% of my characters just sitting in their cells without being put to work. Is there a way to start work if you pop yourself out of the cage?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry Lobster posted:

This are my unpopular opinions :colbert:

And they deserve to be unpopular :colbert:

But seriously, I do kind of see your point- outside of the risk of losing limbs in a breakout, the slave start doesn't really teach many of the lessons a newbie would need to survive in Kenshi. You never have to worry about healthcare or food, and you get to train some of the most gamebreaking skills (MA, assassination) in relative peace. Not to mention that unless you know what you're doing and how to gauge risks, it might be a very slow start as opposed to mining some copper, buying a sword and going to town on Dust Bandits.

EDIT:

The Lone Badger posted:

I spend too much time with 80% of my characters just sitting in their cells without being put to work. Is there a way to start work if you pop yourself out of the cage?

Depends- if they're in there resting from a beating, let them rest and go make some hot chocolate or something. If not, then you should be working on your lockpick skills, trying to stealth past guards, and then fighting the small groups in the houses (I'm assuming you're starting in Rebirth).

But if you're looking to go afk while they level up labouring/strength (for the newbies, you can do the latter with this mod), then the only think I can think of is reducing the amount of squads/spawns so that there's a higher chance of a random Sentinel choosing your dude to smash rocks.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 5, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I actually escaped, recruited some more dudes, and decided to go back to get strength/toughness up. Everyone can lockpick and sneak by this point, and my pointwoman has tons of assassination.
(I've stolen all the guards swords so the beatings take longer and don't bleed)

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't be afraid later on to send new recruits to Rebirth to get swole, the drat place is a giant boot camp and the most painless way to train assasination.

My faction is named the 'Reborn'. New initiates are sent to the Pit.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 5, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually let the guards keep their swords myself- I don't want them losing their blades and punching my limbs off after enough practice.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

CommissarMega posted:

And they deserve to be unpopular :colbert:

But seriously, I do kind of see your point- outside of the risk of losing limbs in a breakout, the slave start doesn't really teach many of the lessons a newbie would need to survive in Kenshi. You never have to worry about healthcare or food, and you get to train some of the most gamebreaking skills (MA, assassination) in relative peace. Not to mention that unless you know what you're doing and how to gauge risks, it might be a very slow start as opposed to mining some copper, buying a sword and going to town on Dust Bandits.

Exactly, not saying is bad, because it's the opposite, is the best start in the game, but is very repetitive and don't teach you much. I'd not recommend it for a first-time player but it's a blast once when you know a bit more about the mechanics.

The Lone Badger posted:

I actually escaped, recruited some more dudes, and decided to go back to get strength/toughness up. Everyone can lockpick and sneak by this point, and my pointwoman has tons of assassination.
(I've stolen all the guards swords so the beatings take longer and don't bleed)

Don't be afraid later on to send new recruits to Rebirth to get swole, the drat place is a giant boot camp and the most painless way to train assasination.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
This game looks interesting so I took the plunge but the controls have vanquished me. I tried for a while to come to grips with it but it never felt comfortable. Any tips on controlling even a single dude would be helpful.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

he1ixx posted:

This game looks interesting so I took the plunge but the controls have vanquished me. I tried for a while to come to grips with it but it never felt comfortable. Any tips on controlling even a single dude would be helpful.

what are you struggling with specifically?

it's pretty much all just right-click, or hold right-click and select from menu. Outside that, at most it's shift-right click to auto-assign jobs.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Agent355 posted:

Eventually you will begin to doze off or suffer from debilitating health and awareness effects from not sleeping, which will make it much harder to play Kenshi or any other video game really.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

piL posted:

Eventually you will begin to doze off or suffer from debilitating health and awareness effects from not sleeping, which will make it much harder to play Kenshi or any other video game really.

:ocelot:

I'm still waiting for the game to kinda grab me though. Right now I'm grinding up mining during the day and sneaking at night but I'm still just kinda doing that because i can do it safely without a real end goal and stuff.

I'm real bad at enjoying sandboxes before I have a firm grasp of what I COULD be doing. If I'm grinding up mining because it contributes to my strength so I can better beat up a bandit so I can get gold to buy a house in town and begin my life as a travelling merchant I'm having fun, until I've fiddled with the mechanics enough to really have a concrete grasp on that stuff I mostly feel like I'm just treading water and waiting for the fun to happen.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I am a new player to this game and have been tooling around with a few different starts. got some of the basics from the wanderer start. then yall talking about the slave start so much I gave it a try. I found it to be quite fun/hilarious.

I named both my slaves after my dogs Carl and Mazlo. I made the mistake of freeing dudes at night like 3rd day which I did not realize meant that they would free themselves incessantly when you busted out of your cage either day or night. This resulted in Mazlo loving bleeding out on the floor after a fight and dying because so many other slaves kept constantly escaping to join him, getting their asses kicked and being healed so constantly that the guards never got to heal him, all the while Carl could not get to him to carry him into a different room. RIP Maz though I thought you would die first.

I decided to book it with Carl and the slave dudes a few days later after sneaking about gathering food and a splint and grog to sell. Carl had like 30 athletics by now. I just book it past the guards, they fight the other slaves in my posse, but a single loving guard kept pace all the way to the abandoned shack that was on my map (I dont know where poo poo is in this world Im a new player). I get in there to find nobody else there (abandoned ha! not sure why I thought I would find people there to help me) the guard downs me by gutting my stomach. I play dead/go down, he does not even recapture me as that was my plan when I found that there was no one there. The guard just loving leaves.

I stagger up and look for a med kid. I expected a med kit to be in be in this loving shack for some reason. To my surprise no med kit just food in this shack. So I find myself bleeding out of my gut wound slowly dying. I can't do first aid. I stagger into the wilderness looking for a town to pop up on my map in hope of trading grog for meds. Alas, nothing but dust and pain throughout the expanse. I collapse, things fade to black, I die alone but free.

fin.

I will probably start a new game tonight after work. Really want to build a base as the Rimworld aspect of this game is what really attracted me to it. Might do the 5 guys start next.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have just fed Lord Phoenix LXII to the fogmen. He actually has what appears to be unique dialog where he goes basically "This is fine, I'll be reincarnated as Lord Phoenix, ps Okran rules".

Then he screamed, a lot, for a long long time.

Kenshi is GOTY.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

deadseedinside posted:

what are you struggling with specifically?

it's pretty much all just right-click, or hold right-click and select from menu. Outside that, at most it's shift-right click to auto-assign jobs.

Mostly the camera navigation. The camera drags through buildings, I don't see a hotkey to stick to an avatar (need to double click the portrait). I can snap to a person but it is momentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

he1ixx posted:

Mostly the camera navigation. The camera drags through buildings, I don't see a hotkey to stick to an avatar (need to double click the portrait). I can snap to a person but it is momentary.

right click the portrait of the person you want the camera to stick to. Will stay on them until you click someone else or use the manual navigation keys to move away. Lets you zoom in/out, spin around etc and stay on that one character.